• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Pt II |OT| Oh Ellie...I think they should be terrified of you

Ulysses 31

I was surprised how fast the story got started. There was a disconnect though for me. Obviously Ellie is indifferent to Joel at the start so it sort of dissolves that closeness so it was kid of 'meh' about Joel in the end.
It's the writing. Without spoiling too much, you are being mislead about Ellie's state of mind till the revelation at the end to the players which is a bit of a cheap writers trick to emotionally manipulate players. 👀

HotPocket69

Banned
Not to sound TOO sociopathic, but is there any other game out there that makes killing so visually and audibly stimulating and satisfying? Story and character bullshit aside, nothing else comes close to the raw brutal murdering of people in this. Holy fucking shit.

I’ve been replaying ever since that “Could Manhunt 3 Be Made Today?” thread and seriously, of course it could be made. It already has been with this game.

Slo mo shooting is so good

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Not to sound TOO sociopathic, but is there any other game out there that makes killing so visually and audibly stimulating and satisfying? Story and character bullshit aside, nothing else comes close to the raw brutal murdering of people in this. Holy fucking shit.

I’ve been replaying ever since that “Could Manhunt 3 Be Made Today?” thread and seriously, of course it could be made. It already has been with this game.

I take it that's a modifier after completing the game yeah? Just got done with Seattle Day One. Enjoying it for the most part. I think they cheaped out with the Shamblers lol. Just a half bloater really. When you meet those bloaters in the first one, damn they are scary af. Here they are just like the 'chunky' enemy.

Aggelos

Lorne Balfe and the London Philharmonic Orchestra unleashed the orchestral power. Another one of those Hans Zimmer protégés. Harry Gregson-Williams was the first Media Ventures composer to work in the video game industry on Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty in 2001. Klaus Badelt, Stephen Barton, Steve Jablonsky, Lorne Balfe, and Hans Zimmer joined a few years later.
Really like the Last of Us Part II them here. Man all this should have been live on stage, damn you SARS-COV-2

Paulxo87

I can't get into days gone on ps5(first time) because the combat is such fucking shit compared to what I've played this year. Last of us 2 set the new standard.. everything else feels cheap

HotPocket69

Banned
I can't get into days gone on ps5(first time) because the combat is such fucking shit compared to what I've played this year. Last of us 2 set the new standard.. everything else feels cheap

I love the fuck out of Days Gone and their mo cap on the faces is so damn good, but yeah, nothing comes close indeed.

Keep playing. It’s a long fucking game.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
The whole game really does feel like a fucking expedition. Godfather Part II to The Godfather Part I. There I said it. Much better than gaming’s Citizen Kane (that was Super Mario World you retards).

Magog.

Banned
My reactions right after finishing the game.

When Ellie started off on her journey for revenge I felt her righteous rage inside me too. I wanted to make Abby pay so bad. I felt disgust when I realized I was about to play through Abby's version of the story and I was sure I would never see her viewpoint. When Ellie forced her to fight at the end I was far more disgusted as I actually did see they were both justified in their anger but only Abby actually learned forgiveness. And I teared up hard when she had the flashback to Joel on the porch before she let Abby go because she realized she wasted all the potential Joel saw in her and her future. Losing the ability to play guitar was the perfect analogy for that and a beautiful way to end the game.

Abby's dad and Joel both wanted their "daughters" to find the beauty in life but only Abby did. Ellie had everything and walked away from it cuz she couldn't forgive herself for not forgiving Joel before it was too late.

11/10 game for real.

HotPocket69

Banned
Edit: Fixed for Cormack

Don’t forget that whole PTSD episode Ellie has in the barn. The woman is not right. And it sucks that she thinks that going off to Santa Barbara with her 1993 Dolores O’Riordan hairdo would solve her problems 🤣

The themes in this game are so simple and dumb and seen a thousand times.

But so good 🙂

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Amazing game that has such care and attention to lighting. Wasn't a huge fan of the needlessly excessive violence since it didn't really enhance anything, plus the game is very dark. Also really disliked that they cheaped out at the end......why could we not have the option to win as Abby? That's who I was cheering for by the end......

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
Amazing game that has such care and attention to lighting. Wasn't a huge fan of the needlessly excessive violence since it didn't really enhance anything, plus the game is very dark. Also really disliked that they cheaped out at the end......why could we not have the option to win as Abby? That's who I was cheering for by the end......

Because Abby wasn't motivated to fight and was incredibly weakened by her torture? Ellie didn't actually "win" anything by winning either. She just felt hollow the same as Abby did after killing Joel. Abby knew she made a mistake killing Joel and stealing him from Ellie. She wouldn't want to win at that point because winning would have meant she would be continuing the cycle or revenge which she had rejected.

Last edited:

Woggleman

It is some of the most satisfying combat I have played period. I am waiting until PS5 to replay the story but I love just going back and doing encounters. Killing just feels so good. I sound like a complete psycho but I love stealthing enemies and hearing them become more and more panicked as they realize their buddies are being pick off one by one.

Magog.

Banned
It is some of the most satisfying combat I have played period. I am waiting until PS5 to replay the story but I love just going back and doing encounters. Killing just feels so good. I sound like a complete psycho but I love stealthing enemies and hearing them become more and more panicked as they realize their buddies are being pick off one by one.

The final shot you get after being knocked on your ass by a shotgun gives the whole experience of combat a really visceral feel that no other game has matched especially when paired with the brilliant AI.

Eiknarf

Banned

The game that plays the most similar to TLOU in shooting, melee attacks, stealth and grabbing items and upgrading equipment is THE EVIL WITHIN 2 (after chapter 1).

HotPocket69

Banned
The game that plays the most similar to TLOU in shooting, melee attacks, stealth and grabbing items and upgrading equipment is THE EVIL WITHIN 2 (after chapter 1).

I played through that game and you are incorrect. Nothing else feels like this. Nothing has matched the first game either with shooting and melee killing satisfaction.

Shooting/killing satisfaction close 2nd would be Max Payne 3

kyliethicc

There is a satisfying aspect to the violence in The Last of Us Part II that is slightly ironic. Its such a fun game to play, but I never lose that feeling of humanity in every person I kill. Its remarkable.

Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy are similarly fun to play, but less visceral and less emotional. More like action movies than real life.

But all of Naughty Dog's games on PS4 have such beautiful and detailed animation. It really adds to the gameplay. Classics.

Eiknarf

Banned
I played through that game and you are incorrect. Nothing else feels like this. Nothing has matched the first game either with shooting and melee killing satisfaction.

Shooting/killing satisfaction close 2nd would be Max Payne 3
But I’m playing The Evil Within 2 RIGHT NOW and it plays just like TLOU. Literally -

Meaning, the game mechanics are almost identical:
healing,
upgrading,
finding/picking up scrap,
workbench,
melee,
stealth,
shooting,
crafting,
exploring,
picking up items,
perspective,
map...etc

They clearly copied TLOU... and I like that, because it's intuitive and it works well

HotPocket69

Banned
But I’m playing The Evil Within 2 RIGHT NOW and it plays just like TLOU. Literally -

Meaning, the game mechanics are almost identical:
healing,
upgrading,
finding/picking up scrap,
workbench,
melee,
stealth,
shooting,
crafting,
exploring,
picking up items,
perspective,
map...etc

They clearly copied TLOU... and I like that, because it's intuitive and it works well

It might carry similar gameplay mechanics, but no way does it feel like the same experience, especially with weapons. I’ve played through it entirely.

G9gSm5P.jpg

GymWolf

Not to sound like psychopatic but punching, realistic and gorey combat is why i enjoy tlou saga a lot.
In term of hit reaction, gore and ragdoll only rdr2 is on par (inferior for some things, superior in others) and just because they use euphoria engine.

tlou2 with euphoria engine would be incredible.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned

Ghost of Tsushima has some good killing visuals and decapitations
It gets brutal

GymWolf

Ghost of Tsushima has some good killing visuals and decapitations
It gets brutal
tsushima has precanned dead animations, no ragdoll and like.1-2 instance of gore, an arm sometimes and the head during captain stealth killing, no offense but it's not even in the same universe of tlou2, even days gone has more brutal combat and that game is not even better than tlou1 for this stuff.

Last edited:
It might be tomorrow or never. Who knows

Exactly this. I was waiting and playing AC Valhalla in the meantime. I quit that game after 40 hours as it isn't that good.

I then replayed Last of Us 1 on PS5 and am now halfway through replaying Last of us 2 on the PS5.

Doing them back to back is a great experience.

Don't regret dropping Valhalla to replay these as they are both vastly superior games.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Exactly this. I was waiting and playing AC Valhalla in the meantime. I quit that game after 40 hours as it isn't that good.

I then replayed Last of Us 1 on PS5 and am now halfway through replaying Last of us 2 on the PS5.

Doing them back to back is a great experience.

Don't regret dropping Valhalla to replay these as they are both vastly superior games.
exactly. good game is good game regardless of 30 or 60fps most likely. Especially tlou2 which is super smooth at 30fps.

Woggleman

The ideal open world would be one that is designed by Rockstar but the combat and gameplay is from whoever designed it for this game. Another certain game is getting criticized for bad AI but enemy AI on grounded in this game is some of the best I have played.

I tried playing this game yesterday on PS5 but 30FPS is killing all enjoyment. How the hell am I supposed to aim at this flip-book speed? I'll wait for a patch. Ghost of Tsushima was amazing, I think I will focus on Days Gone next.

Man, I'm so happy that enough time has past for us to actually sit here and discuss the game from a mechanic and design perspective and not constantly bicker about the story beats in the game.

This game was absolutely a masterpiece in game design from gameplay, to visuals.

It was a stark improvement from the first game and the way it essentially expanded the mechanics in the original was absolutely great.

What I'm most excited is how Naughty Dog will further expand these mechanics in their future games.

It's going to be absolutely bonkers.

makaveli60

Oh shoot, didn't know you could do that...

Damn, this game still looks amazing. Ratchet and Clank shits on everything currently but you can put TLoU2 next to it and it has nothing to be ashamed at all. I just want a PS5 upgrade with the reveal gameplay enemy models and other small upgrades and it will look like a proper PS5 game.

Woggleman

A coworker bought the digital only by accident when she wanted the disc version and sold it to me at market price so TLOU2 60 FPS here I come.

Aggelos

Last edited:

Aggelos

The Last of Us Part II – One Year Later​

It’s hard to believe we only released The Last of Us Part II one year ago.
Neil Druckmann
@Neil_Druckmann June 18, 2021

This has been a very special week for us. On Monday, we celebrated the eighth anniversary of The Last of Us. To end the week, we are celebrating the first anniversary of The Last of Us Part II. We didn’t plan it this way, but we can’t think of a better way to have the anniversary of Part I and Part II dovetailing each other.
It’s absolutely crazy that it’s been EIGHT years since we introduced Joel and Ellie to the world. Your love for them, their journey, and our game has forever changed our lives. Your support has fueled us while we were working on the ambitious journeys of Ellie and Abby with The Last of Us Part II.

joel-ellie-guitar.jpg

Abby_Trimmed.jpg

It’s wild to think that, just one year ago, we at Naughty Dog saw The Last of Us Part II released. Years of planning, designing, crafting, and creating were now in the hands of our fans around the world. Since then, millions of you have played The Last of Us Part II!
The development and release of The Last of Us Part II has been a deeply personal and emotional journey for us. The game came out in the middle of a world-wide pandemic. We’ve sorely missed meeting all of you at public events over the last year to celebrate and talk about the game. In fact, one of our biggest bummers is that we’ve yet to celebrate the launch of the game physically with everyone that has worked on it!
But do you know what has been incredibly uplifting? Your passionate reactions! Your tweets of support! Your beautiful fanart! Your thoughtful essays (video and written!) Your gorgeous Photo Mode shots! The heartfelt letters about what the game has meant to you or how it helped you during this difficult year!
We know that it’s been a challenging 15 months and that, for many of you, those challenges persist. Here’s to hoping we get through this soon. We look forward to the day we can meet up in person again!
We can’t convey how much we appreciate y’all for being such an amazing community and fans of The Last of Us and Naughty Dog in general. It’s been a wild and, at times, bumpy ride, but if somehow we had another shot at it… we’d do it all over again!
On behalf of everyone that worked on The Last of Us Part II, thank you! We love you!
And as we work on our next set of games, know that your support continues to fuel us!

Until next time… endure and survive!

- Neil

Last edited:
Top Bottom