• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remake is PlayStation's 4th biggest concurrent players on Steam via data shown

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to data collected by SteamDB, The Last of Us Part I recorded a peak peak of 36,496 concurrent players on Steam (18,442 now). As such, the remake became PlayStation's fourth biggest release on PC.

1. God of War - 73,529
  2. Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered - 66,436
  3. Horizon Zero Dawn - 56,557
  4. The Last of Us Part I - 36,496
  5. Days Gone - 27,450
  6. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 13,539
  7. Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection - 10,851
  8. Returnal - 6,691
  9. Sackboy: A Big Adventure - 610

Concurrent players is not necessarily a reflection of biggest release though.
It can be a potential indicator but it isn't 1 to 1.

Day of release, state of release etc all come into play.

For instance those numbers there would make you think Days Gone was vastly outsold by the games above it.
But that isn't really the case at all.

God of War Released on a Friday
Horizon released on a Friday
Spiderman released on a Friday
Days Gone released on a Tuesday
TLOU released on a Tuesday

So where the other releases really bigger or do more players just play games on a Friday than on a Tuesday?

Essentially it's not comparable data set and it's not data that reflects total sales necessarily.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Are we sure? SteamDB reports a peak of 36,496 players but the actual Steam Charts says 23,352. Quite a big difference.

YCoCg

Just imagine Bloodborne, over 200k concurrent easy

monkeys-paw-paw.gif

Ported by High Voltage Software, overseen by Iron Galaxy

Not gonna pretend i know what numbers a succesfull game does on steam as i dont follow steam topics but that seems awfully low. As a matter of fact all of those ps exclusives seem low.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It was released barely a couple of months after Spider-Man and was also full price for a game that's essentially DLC, a large DLC but still DLC. What were you thinking?
MM was not released at full price. It was $50.

Also an 8-12 hour game. 18 or so if a completionist.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They don't have much out so that list goes both ways
4th best selling or 6th worse selling 😂
And what small country are those numbers from 😏

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It was released barely a couple of months after Spider-Man and was also full price for a game that's essentially DLC, a large DLC but still DLC. What were you thinking?

Essentially DLC? Are you still doing that? If that's the case then half of the sequels that we get are large DLCs.

No one wants to play a different spider-man just like no one wants to play as robin or damian. Also story was shit. Shame tho cuz the atmosphere was great. Generic ceo voiced by troy baker was rofl.

Do you have any idea how stupid this sounds? That "different" spider-man game sold like crazy. And most disagree that the story was shit.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I can see next December vividly.

*two hours of Kratos speech*
*woke gay disabled schizophrenic quadriplegic blind game dev segment*
AND NOW
HERE ARE THE NOMINATIONS
FOR OUR NEW CATEGORY
BEST 4TH MOST SOLD PS GAME ON PC
AND THE WINNER IS

THE LAST OF US

Still winning awards, despite the coordinated efforts of UrMom69 and BigotSammich42 sending Laura Bailey messages that they were gonna send her cupcakes with rape bombs inside.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wow. Half of GOW and almost on par with Days Gone.

BTW, we know god of war and days gone sales on PC. Days Gone sold roughly 800k in a year and generated just $22 million in revenue for Sony. GOW sold 960k in the first three months, and made $28 million.

Sony will basically make Days Gone money for this game. Crazy what they will do to their brand for just $20-30 million.

In comparison, TLOU2 made $240 million on PS4 in the first three days.

Goalus

It's a good result, congratulations!
7k reviews after one day is respectable as well.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Essentially DLC? Are you still doing that? If that's the case then half of the sequels that we get are large DLCs.
That's why I said Large DLC, it's like the old days expansion packs, when shit used to be big and worth the price, Miles falls in line with content like The Lost and Damned, The Ballad of Gay Tony and Undead Nightmare, legit large DLC's with short storylines to add more content and expand the original game. It's not like I'm calling it a hat or something.

midnightAI

BTW, we know god of war and days gone sales on PC. Days Gone sold roughly 800k in a year and generated just $22 million in revenue for Sony. GOW sold 960k in the first three months, and made $28 million.

Sony will basically make Days Gone money for this game. Crazy what they will do to their brand for just $20-30 million.

You can tell all that from concurrent users?

midnightAI

Jimbo had it in a press briefing to investors.

HZD sold 2 million lifetime and generated $60 million.
O...k... but how can you tell how many Last of Us will sell based on concurrent users?

(even then $20-$30 million is nothing to sniff at, most of that is pure profit because ports are done by a small team and so are cheap, the vast majority of development budget would have gone on the PS5 version so this is 'almost' free money, why else do you think Sony does PC ports?)

Graciaus

O...k... but how can you tell how many Last of Us will sell based on concurrent users?

(even then $20-$30 million is nothing to sniff at, most of that is pure profit because ports are done by a small team and so are cheap, the vast majority of development budget would have gone on the PS5 version so this is 'almost' free money, why else do you think Sony does PC ports?)
There is a formula to estimate how many copies a game sold based off the number of reviews left. Not perfect but better than nothing.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Let’s be honest; it’s an old game that hasn’t changed with the exception of a graphical facelift.

If you played it back in 2013, the desire may not be there to drop $60 on it. Then there’s the negative press, since it launched in a poor state. Still, 35k concurrent players isn’t bad for a single player focused game.

As mentioned already Bloodborne would be huge as would Demons Souls, and I think Ghost of Tsushima would do very well too. All of that would of course depend on the quality of the port.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Need to post it here:

Whoever has issues with controller, install reWASD and set emulation to DS4, then it all works brilliantly.

Braag

It's not the 4th biggest launch, it is the 4th biggest concurrent players on steam which has nothing to do with launch numbers.
This, I bought the game and I've yet to even launch it due to not having time yet.

Money Cash GIF by Sleeping Giant Media

Top Bottom