• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us remake: What would you add or change?

VulcanRaven

There was the leak about The Last of Us remake. Let's assume that its true and they are making it. What you would like to see in the remake? Should they use The Last of Us 2 gameplay and add dogs or should it be close to the original? I hope they use things from TLOU2 but the cutscenes shouldn't be changed much. They need to keep the original voice acting. I'm not sure if a remake is needed but I admit that it would be cool to see the cutscenes with TLOU2 graphics

They will probably use the character models we saw in TLOU2:
Screenshot-2020-05-06-at-15.24.18-768x413-1.jpg

Last edited:

Protocol7

Do we really need a remake...?
I mean a remaster ok why not, but a remake...

So yeah hum just upgrade it to TLOU2 engine... having a hard time thinking of anything else as I really don't get why they are making a remake... waste of ressources...

VulcanRaven

I question if this rumor is actually real.

Why remake a PS3 game that had a PS4 remaster that runs on the PS5?

IMO, remaking the game is waste of resources. The PS4 remaster is perfectly fine and the game doesn't need a remake.
The HBO series is coming next year so they probably want to release this near that.

Ellery

This is a tough one. Well graphics definitely need to be the absolute main focus of a possible remake. They need to even blow TLOU2, the current best looking game, away, but with with the power of the PS5 this shouldn't be a problem at all. Given the talent Naughty Dog has I would expect 4k 60fps and 4k 30fps RTX/1080p 60fps RTX.

Gameplay improvements would be awesome and we can clearly see that TLOU2 is a gigantic step forward in that direction. I was actually surprised how great the gameplay was in TLOU2 and how natural it felt to play that game.
But with that gameplay change comes the big question of how it affects the core game. Difficult one, but if I were in the position to pick I would do it.

The rest can be the same. There don't need to be any voice acting changes or story changes.

A big part of me still doubts that the remake rumors are true or well ... we won't see it come to fruition.

Fbh

Don't cut the multiplayer in order to promote the supposedly new standalone multiplayer?
I guess they could also further improve enemy AI.

I don't know. Game is still great and plays great on a Ps4/5. A remake really feels unnecesary

MiguelItUp

For some reason I just can't.... see a remake of this happening. Unless it's some kind of remaster with extra content and it's being assumed as a full on remake or something. That seems more plausible to me.

I wouldn't change anything, honestly. I mean, a remake of the game just seems to pointless to me TBH.

kyliethicc

There was the leak about The Last of Us remake. Let's assume that its true and they are making it. What you would like to see in the remake? Should they use The Last of Us 2 gameplay and add dogs or should it be close to the original? I hope they use things from the TLOU2 but the cutscenes shouldn't be changed much. They need to keep the original voice acting. I'm not sure if a remake is needed but I admit that it would be cool to to see the cutscenes with TLOU2 graphics

They will probably use the character models we saw in TLOU2:
Screenshot-2020-05-06-at-15.24.18-768x413-1.jpg

keep:
- same characters, cutscenes, performances, dialogue, etc
- same story, chapters, levels, plot, etc
- score
- weapons, crafting recipes
- combat encounters (roughly)

remake using TLOUP2 tech:
- character models
- animations
- environment art
- visual & audio fidelity
- AI
- weapon feel & HUD

change / add:
- some aspects of combat encounters
- some level design could be reworked / expanded
- controls from Part 2 (like R1 to quick swap guns)
- dodge
- prone
- squeeze throughs
- breakable glass
- rope puzzles
- player upgrade trees from Part 2
- weapon upgrades & workbenches from Part 2
- resource scarcity / difficulty
- accessibility options

No need to add dogs, thats specific to the WLF. Hunters never used them.

And remake Left Behind too.

And just call it "The Last of Us." No need to put remake in the title.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The only change I'd make is that whenever Joel loads his gun, it makes a small farting noise.

That would accurately portray the amount of excitement people have about this dumb ass remake idea.

VulcanRaven

Don't cut the multiplayer in order to promote the supposedly new standalone multiplayer?
I guess they could also further improve enemy AI.

I don't know. Game is still great and plays great on a Ps4/5. A remake really feels unnecesary
I have a feeling that this won't have multiplayer and the standalone MP game will have all the maps from the first game too.

Ellie will have a little brother that gets into all kinds of mischief. End of each chapter every character will stand around and laugh after all the antics.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The E3 gameplay advertised more sophisticated AI, so that's what I'd wanna see in a remake. I don't want a new script or new level design, just enhance the AI.

4K or 1440p with RT / 60fps

Add dual sense 5 features

Update animations for movement and combat

Tweak close quarter combat

Improve AI for enemies

Tweak that bit where you get one hit killed if you are spotted

Add more weapons but mainly cosmetic / slight tweaks to existing ones

Add collectible clothing Joel can pick up / find to mix things up a bit

Add an additional chapter at the beginning like a Directors Cut addition

Raonak

Banned
I would okay woth a TLOU with new graphics. But moving the gameplay to the engine and adding all of the expanded mechanics of 2 would be kinda neat.

Bartski

Gold Member
The simple answer is nothing except the graphics... but then there are the obvious improvements to the gameplay and enemy behavior from part 2 that they would likely want to incorporate.

That means reworking all of the combat scenarios, in that case, what about movement? Part 2 is made from the ground up with jump and crawl, it's not like they can just add it in with other Part 2 mechanics, as that directly informs level design and everything else... Leaving controls as they were would feel limiting now, as mobility downgrade, especially if they plan to sell a remake of Parts 1 and 2 in one package.

I'd be much happier to hear they're doing a new IP but if this project is real and seems like it is, that is IMO the most interesting problem to see them tackle.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Definitely needs TLOU2s gameplay. The original games gameplay feels extremely archaic these days. Using TLOU2s gameplay mechanics would mean completely redesigning the encounter areas though, they are too small and restrictive for the newer gameplay.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I would change the fact that a remake for an eight year old game exists when we had a remaster for it a year after it originally came out.

I would add new direction at Naughty Dog who doesn't think going back to the well with a remaster, sequel, remake, TV show, try-hard gifs, and tasteless merchandising is a good idea.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One thing I wouldn't add is unnecessary flash back sequence. Both Uncharted 2 and original The Last Us has much, much better pacing than the sequels for that very reason.

OrionNebula

Try to make Joel and Ellie extremely unlikeable. I mean go out of your way to make them seems like disgusting assoles, so that we’ll cheer when Abby beats the shit out of them in Part 2

Remeber when Joel took time to pet the dog when he arrived at Tommy’s in TLOU? Now make him kick the dog, and later eat it

Yeah, that’s it

Hugare

I swear to God, if it turns out to be true ...

What an idiotic thing to do.

90% of what is good with the game is related to the acting/performance

Even if they only swap character models, it will be like seeing differenct actors portraying those same characters that we love.

Imagine having Brando in The Godfather digitally replaced by another actor. Same lines, same voice, acting, but different face, would still be pretty fucking weird.

Not saying that it would be worse, just different. But is it really necessary?

Top Bottom