• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us remake: What would you add or change?

Yoboman

Keep all the story beats but mix up the gameplay

Add all the new controls from TLOU2.

Expand some of the gameplay scenarios with bigger more complex environments

Cut the ladder puzzles and do something different

Don’t try to re-act the cutscenes and voice acting, you can’t bottle lightning twice

It's just Neil taking the op to shit up the the first game with woke stupidity. More of his trans-supremacy and male feminist propaganda. Maybe on their next fabricated awards show all about Neil, he'll have Gordon Ramsey come out to cook his favorite meal and cut his meat for him.

Hugare

It will take them years to make TLOU3 and they are very early in the production if they are even making it. I wouldn't be suprised if their next game was a new IP. Sony probably wants to release something with the series so a remake is easy to do. It could be made by a smaller team.

I wouldn't worry about them using the actors from the TV series. They will probably use the character models seen in TLOU2.
They remade the ending of TLOU with TLOU 2 character models at the beginning of the game

And like I said, it looked very different.

The whole "ok" scene with Ellie felt completely different

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Remakes is what gaming is if it makes gamers feel better I think a real quick graphic update is all that’s needed.

MrJTeera

I question if this rumor is actually real.

Why remake a PS3 game that had a PS4 remaster that runs on the PS5?

IMO, remaking the game is waste of resources. The PS4 remaster is perfectly fine and the game doesn't need a remake.
What better ways to teach small studios to make big budget games than to remake big budget games?

Iced Arcade

wouldn't be surprised if they change the character models like they did in spiderman and have them look like the actors for the upcoming show

Markio128

I don’t believe there will be a remake for one minute, so I’m not going to waste any of my thoughts on what a remake would entail. I’m in the camp that would love to see ND tackle the much rumoured sci-if game. I imagine it could be like Outerworlds, but actually decent, with lovable characters and a simple, but compelling story. I’d love ND to take the best bits of both Uncharted and TLOU with a good balance of comedy and horror. If this rumour came true, I would be over the moon. In fact, I can’t wait to find out what ND are up to - I just hope it isn’t a bloody TLOU remake. Terrible idea imho.

Keihart

Change the doctor models at the end so people stop saying it's a retcon
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm still baffled this is getting a pointless remake, so many other games deserve their own.
I agree since you can actually play TLOU Remaster on PS5, To me the game that absolutely deserves remaster/remake is Drakengard 3 in my opinion.

Esca

I may be inpaired atm but let's see where this goes.

Change all the female bodies (humans and infected) with abby's body, all men bodies are like randy macho the fucking man savage them remove all white people besides joel and ellie. Have those two wear gang colors and flashing gang signs like vanilla ice. Throw in a horde mode and I'm sure that trigger people good

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

They remade the ending of TLOU with TLOU 2 character models at the beginning of the game

And like I said, it looked very different.

The whole "ok" scene with Ellie felt completely different

They just remade the characters with better graphics and they look similar enough. Maybe Ellie looks a bit different but Joel looks almost exactly the same.

Last edited:

farmerboy

Seriously though, instead of a remake why not put those resources toward a Joel spin off ala Lost Legacy style.

We could explore how Joel first got to know Bill. Or how Joel and Tommy parted ways. Or how Tess and Joel used to smuggle shit.

There's literally heaps of stuff they could explore.

lachesis

I want to make "choice" to change the course of the story with multi-endings, with each branching storyline would get some seriously good scripts, not just fillers.

It's a story driven game - so since I already know the story in and out, only real merit would be to give me at least 3-4 different endings, depending on what choice you make in certain breaking point - while using the same assets provided.

For example... maybe there's a route you can take at the City hall (Jesse), Tommy's place, David's place etc - all leading to the Hospital in different state, and different endings? After all, it's a game to be played - and a bit of freedom would be nice.

But.. not sure if they'll ever go that route.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Or let a small studio create something new

Yeah, why saddle a new team with all the politics and expectations that come with handling a proven success? Its a recipe for disaster.

Teams need to play to their strengths while they learn and cover their weaknesses. The best way to do that is to turn them loose to do something of their own.

Kokoloko85

keep:
- same characters, cutscenes, performances, dialogue, etc
- same story, chapters, levels, plot, etc
- score
- weapons, crafting recipes
- combat encounters (roughly)

remake using TLOUP2 tech:
- character models
- animations
- environment art
- visual & audio fidelity
- AI
- weapon feel & HUD

change / add:
- some aspects of combat encounters
- some level design could be reworked / expanded
- controls from Part 2 (like R1 to quick swap guns)
- dodge
- prone
- squeeze throughs
- breakable glass
- rope puzzles
- player upgrade trees from Part 2
- weapon upgrades & workbenches from Part 2
- resource scarcity / difficulty
- accessibility options

No need to add dogs, thats specific to the WLF. Hunters never used them.

And remake Left Behind too.

And just call it "The Last of Us." No need to put remake in the title.

This.
+ Add some more open areas like how Uncharted 4 did With both combat and exploring

TimFL

I'm against a remaster of this but if they do it, I could see them doing what they had planned originally for the MP: hostile AI roaming the map so it's PvPvE.

That being said, they probably have the game tie into their new "big MP" mode that'll be DOA if it's a classic MP mode ala Uncharted 4 or TLoU1 (if it's anything other than a Red Dead Online / GTA Online style freeroaming survival lightweight-MMO, the development time spent on that standalone MP is NOT justified imho).

It's just Neil taking the op to shit up the the first game with woke stupidity. More of his trans-supremacy and male feminist propaganda. Maybe on their next fabricated awards show all about Neil, he'll have Gordon Ramsey come out to cook his favorite meal and cut his meat for him.

This post is really something 😆 just complete rage fuelled gibberish. Like after you hit post do you become normal again or did Part 2 seriously break your brain permanently?

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

If they want REMAKE this, a good start will be a new engine... If this gets remade I expect photorealistic graphics and the most advance animations known to mankind... To be honest Sony shouldn't bother the PS4 version still looks fine.

Dr Kaneda

Basically everything needs to be tweaked to incorporate the gameplay of Part II since the 1st game plays so badly imo, less than a year after I beat I couldn't replay it since it felt extremely, extremely clunky. It's not just going to be a simple job of adding the move-set from Part II to this one since you're going to have to change enemy behaviour/encounters to actually make use of it. And obviously the braindead AI needs to be improved anyway.

Other than that I'd let to see them add some good boss fights, David is pretty much the only one the original had. Given the original remaster is still available and recent I'd be open to pretty much any drastic additions/changes just so long as the gameplay of Part II is included.

Dr Kaneda

I question if this rumor is actually real.

Why remake a PS3 game that had a PS4 remaster that runs on the PS5?

IMO, remaking the game is waste of resources. The PS4 remaster is perfectly fine and the game doesn't need a remake.
I'd argue that the 1st one plays very badly, definitely needs an update as far as I'm concerned.

But beyond my personal opinions it's getting a remake because:

1) To tie in with the HBO show.

2) It was another studio that pitched this idea to the higher ups at Sony. Sony liked what they saw and greenlit. When they saw the studio couldn't hack, rather than bin it all and waste the resource they spent up until that point they put ND on it during the down time that ND are using to come up with their next game. It's not like this remake is taking away resources from other projects, it's literally a side project while they come up with major projects.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Really don't see the need for a remake as the remaster looked stunning on release and still holds up considerably well. Though I guess IF they HAD to do it, I'd love to see a gameplay segment with Bill, or just more Bill in general. W. Earl Brown killed it as his voice actor and it'd be awesome to get a segment using that Kukri he has.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
1. Don't touch the fucking story, it's perfect.

2. Overhaul the graphics, make a proper next gen showcase, redress all the sets, upscale everything and add in additional geometric detail so the world looks better than the already incredible TLOU2.

3. Add the gameplay mechanics of the TLOU2 so it feels and plays the same

4. Give the option to play the game with the TV show characters likeness so that it ties in a bit better for those that want to, it's a fucking option folks, not sure how theyd do the audio mind

5. That's it, nothing else needed imo

As for point 2, without knowing the full ins and outs of the development process I would imagine this would be massively costly and time consuming as the original gfx and sets are quite basic and sparse so would need completely remodeled and dressed and this can't be a cheap process especially considering they'd need to at least match the quality of the 2nd one which is way out in a league of its own.

This doesn't bother me in the slightest as I'm a fucking adult who doesn't whine like a bitch when someone remakes/redo's/changes something THAT AIN'T MINE, so I'm all for this, the original was an amazing experience and I was gonna replay it after completing TLOU2 but couldn't bring myself due to it being vastly inferior in the looks and gameplay department to the sequel so I say bring it on and I may be tempted to double dip.

Top Bottom