• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak | Preview Thread | Free Demo Available on PS4 and Switch on June 4

capsule_616x353.jpg

Previews:

Noisy Pixel
The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak is an ambitious breakthrough for this storied franchise, with its gameplay identity taking centerstage above all else. Every facet has been handled in such a way as to appeal to a vaster pool of players than ever before. So, if you're even remotely intrigued by what Daybreak has put on the table, you should give it a go when it's released for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC on July 5, 2024.

A free demo of The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak will be available on June 4, 2024, for Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. The former will only have the prologue, while the latter will also have chapter one. Save data will transfer to the full release.

RPGamer
The Legends of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak marks an exciting new step for the series, as it looks at providing a very welcome new jumping on point for new players, while offering plenty of fresh elements and exciting changes to its ardent fans. Players will be able to try it out for themselves when the demo launches on PlayStation and Switch consoles next week, with the full release coming to PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and Nintendo Switch on July 5, 2024.

RPGFan
The most significant gameplay change in Trails through Daybreak is that combat has been overhauled since Reverie. Every Trails game since Trails in the Sky FC has been a turn-based affair with improvements to the system each time. If you are afraid I am about to say that Daybreak is not turn-based, don’t worry because it still is, for the most part, with its new hybrid-type system. You even have a choice to seamlessly switch from the new action-based system to the turn-based system at your leisure. For example, you can start a fight off in the action battle system and do a good amount of damage to stun your enemy. Then, you can switch to the turn-based mode and gain an advantage in combat with strategic, well-placed abilities. The only time you cannot do this is during boss battles, which will be strictly in the turn-based mode. After watching some gameplay of this system, I was impressed with how seamless these mode switches are, allowing you to approach battles based on your preferences. I also think playing a bunch of characters in the action mode will make combat even more fun and immersive for both newcomers and returning fans.

Hey Poor Player
After this week’s extended sit-down with the game, I’ve got to say that I’m more excited than ever to learn as much as I can. It’s safe to say that Nihon Falcom’s The Legend of Heroes series has always been one of exceptional quality. The Legend of Heroes: Trails Through Daybreak is promising not only to carry on that tradition but to raise the bar.

Final Weapon
The many gameplay elements and features of Trails through Daybreak are set to deliver a compelling experience for newcomers and returning Trails fans alike. Trails through Daybreak experiments with the combat system fans know and love while giving it a refreshing uplift. The Calvard saga is leading Trails to its most exciting era yet, and the opportunity to dive in with Trails through Daybreak is certainly enticing. I will always recommend playing the previous Trails games leading into Trails through Daybreak since the payoff is going to be incredible later on.

There’s a lot more to Trails through Daybreak, and players can see what it’s all about by trying out the free demo on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. The prologue and first chapter are available in the PlayStation 4 version, while the Nintendo Switch version only has the prologue. Save data transfers from both versions into the full game at launch, however.

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
I forgot about this game. Weird that the demo is PS4 only.

I'll have to stop by GameStop and change one of my preorders to this game. I preorders four games during a great promotion recently. This will essentially be my first Trails game. I am about halfway into Cold Steel on PS3 and I'm not sure I'll ever get back to it. I'll just start over with a new arc.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'll definitely try the demo. Always hear people talk about this series and I really dont see why. A chance to give it a try is perfect for me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I forgot about this game. Weird that the demo is PS4 only.

I'll have to stop by GameStop and change one of my preorders to this game. I preorders four games during a great promotion recently. This will essentially be my first Trails game. I am about halfway into Cold Steel on PS3 and I'm not sure I'll ever get back to it. I'll just start over with a new arc.

Might as well, this is the start of a new arc so should be more newbie-friendly. Though, if the demo is anything to go by, the one-page 'recaps' of the previous games are woefully short.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So this is an easy jumping on point right now? No need to play 14 prior games to get it?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Gotta admit the demo is better than I expected.

It looks literally like a Vita game, a low end Vita game. But the story grabs your imagination pretty quick, dialogue is decent and the battles are fun. Seems they already are doing that real time x turn based mix Metaphor is doing. Its got a ton of layers too, different ways to switch between real time and turn based for advantage.

I'm interested. Impressive battles for sure.

Last edited:
Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives

Was wondering did you make an official thread for this game? 👀
I made a preview thread (this one that you've posted in) and one about the release date & pre-order info that can be found here - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/trai...024-to-nintendo-switch-ps4-ps5-and-pc.1668078

Or do you mean an |OT| like the one I just did for SMT V Vengeance? The game launches next month so it's too early for that. I also didn't make a claim for the OT so I'm not 100% sure if I'll be the one to do it.

Last edited:
I made a preview thread (this one that you've posted in) and one about the release date & pre-order info that can be found here - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/trai...024-to-nintendo-switch-ps4-ps5-and-pc.1668078

Or do you mean an |OT| like the one I just did for SMT V Vengeance? The game launches next month so it's too early for that. I also didn't make a claim for the OT so I'm not 100% sure if I'll be the one to do it.

I was just curious

Yeah like the one you made for SMT V Vengeance 👀

Last edited:

Astray

Gotta admit the demo is better than I expected.

It looks literally like a Vita game, a low end Vita game. But the story grabs your imagination pretty quick, dialogue is decent and the battles are fun. Seems they already are doing that real time x turn based mix Metaphor is doing. Its got a ton of layers too, different ways to switch between real time and turn based for advantage.

I'm interested. Impressive battles for sure.
Seems like the series' core appeal (story and worldbuilding) has resonated with you immediately, which is a good sign (I'm like 5 games behind, about to finish Cold Steel 1).

This game originally came out in 2021, if anything, it provided the blueprint for this style of hybrid turn-based style, which honestly looks far better than what Re:Fantazio is going in that regard.

Fantazio has the edge in a lot of other things, which is why I'm hyped for it, but I don't think it pulls off this hybrid thing as well.

Skifi28

Still playing trails from zero so it's going to take me a million years to get here, but the demo felt nice so I have something to look forward to. I'll probably get to it by the time daybreak 6 hits the west.

Seems like the series' core appeal (story and worldbuilding) has resonated with you immediately, which is a good sign (I'm like 5 games behind, about to finish Cold Steel 1).

This game originally came out in 2021, if anything, it provided the blueprint for this style of hybrid turn-based style, which honestly looks far better than what Re:Fantazio is going in that regard.

Fantazio has the edge in a lot of other things, which is why I'm hyped for it, but I don't think it pulls off this hybrid thing as well.

I love all the games in the Trails Series but I always consider The Cold Steel games to be the weakest so far when it comes cast especially

Astray

I love all the games in the Trails Series but I always consider The Cold Steel games to be the weakest so far when it comes cast especially
Cast isn't too bad, but it's definitely not on par with prior casts.

I think the school setting forced them to go with a lot of class archetypes.

Top Bottom