• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails | Review Thread

Thief1987

NookGaming - 10/10
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails is one of those rare, utterly exceptional games that leaves me at a loss for words upon completion. It’s a crime that this game took as long as it did to come westward, but better late than never. Better still is that it stands tall like a well-aged wine. Nayuta’s tale deftly weaves all of developer Falcom’s best talents into a single emotional and fun-filled synthesis.Crunchy, satisfying combat and platforming is strengthened further by an incredibly fun progression system that gives you more even after the credits roll. The story is imagination-filled, emotional, and left me so content that I shed some tears at its ending. I could list some nitpicks I had with the game, but they mean nothing in the face of how otherwise accomplished this package is. If you're looking for the single, shining example of what Falcom excels at, this is the game you look to.

Noisy Pixel - 9.5/10

NintendoWorldReport - 8.5/10

With a fairly enjoyable main narrative that plays second fiddle to engaging gameplay and effective presentation, The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails may be slight in terms of length when compared to other Trails games, but it's a spinoff that matches them in quality and enjoyment. There's something compelling about its relative simplicity and all of the small things you can do from moment to moment that all complement each other and help your character progress, both in terms of story and capability. With Ys and the Trails games typically being separated into action and turn-based combat, respectively, I'd love to see either series experiment with the other form given how well it comes off in Boundless Trails. Young Nayuta's adventure is well worth experiencing for yourself; just don't forget to pack a lunch.

Final Weapon - 8/10
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails brings a vastly different experience compared to other Trails games, but it's a true Falcom title that will captivate players all the same. From an otherworldly setting with dozens of levels to a simple gameplay system that evolves with progression, Falcom presents a very fun action RPG with high replay value, and intriguing story/lore, and a pleasant cast of characters.

Destructoid - 8/10
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails is pure gaming comfort food. Its mix of action, platforming, and RPG is too pleasant to resist, especially accompanied by its fantastic soundtrack. It certainly shows its age, and especially its portable origins. But that aside, Nayuta’s tale captures an authentic spirit of classic RPGs that I found as charming as I did entertaining. I’m sure fans of Falcom’s work have this one pre-ordered already, but even if you aren’t in that fandom, give this one a look.

Push Square - 7/10
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails is an effortlessly charming action RPG. Even though the story struggles to engage, there's so much to like about the game's hectic mix of hack-and-slash combat and responsive platforming. An easy recommendation for fans of Ys, or fast-paced, skill-based action titles in general.

Nintendo Life - 7/10
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails is a fun action RPG that takes elements of the wider series it's based on and crafts something unique. The minute-to-minute gameplay is also engaging, although with some minor platforming frustrations here and there. While the story may be simplistic and not as politically engrossing as the mainline Trails games, the heartfelt cast of characters and side quests help flesh out its world.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've always wanted to play this game, so it's kind of amazing to me that it's finally coming to Western shores after all this time. I'm down for an Ys adjacent sorta game.

Unfortunately, I'm knee deep in Trails to Azure at the moment, so... I guess this is going to have to wait a little longer.

Reactions: Isa
I think I'll get this one day 1 even though I'm not planning on playing it right way. Just worried that this one might become a rare physical release like most Trails games tend to be and then I'll regret not purchasing it. :(

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Someone in the youtube comments of the noisy pixel review said that it will be updated on release date (Sept 19) with English localization. Same with Kuro no Kiseki whenever that gets a western release on consoles.
Thanks

Cute waifu btw

844395.jpg

dave_d

I got to ask, with these games how different is the PS5 version vs the Switch version? I mean is there much of a reason to get one over the other? (Admittedly asking since I thinking of returning Rhapsody for the switch to get the limited edition from NIS America and trying to figure out if I do should I get the switch or PS5 version of that and maybe this game.)

I got to ask, with these games how different is the PS5 version vs the Switch version? I mean is there much of a reason to get one over the other? (Admittedly asking since I thinking of returning Rhapsody for the switch to get the limited edition from NIS America and trying to figure out if I do should I get the switch or PS5 version of that and maybe this game.)
I don't know but the original version came out on PSP. This is probably a remastered version and there isn't going to be much difference between PlayStation 5 or Nintendo Switch.

dave_d

I don't know but the original version came out on PSP. This is probably a remastered version and there isn't going to be much difference between PlayStation 5 or Nintendo Switch.
That's what I was figuring but then I heard River City Girls 2 runs better on the PS4/5 than the switch which amazed me. (I'd prefer it on the switch if it was the same since I have switch docs for both my TVs.)

I've asked someone on reddit the other day as they received an early Switch copy of The Legend of Nayuta and they told me it runs at 60 fps and didn't see or feel any kind of hiccups or stuttering. They did mention that they only played the first 3 hours of the game so there's that as well.

That being said, I personally went with the Switch version instead of the PS4 since I want to play it on the go.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got the game today and played through the prologue. Physical Switch copy.

The game does indeed run at 60fps with no noticeable hiccups - except for one very action-y cutscene that seemed more like a short/hard cut then actual frame drops.

Can't wait to dive in further to this, love the Ys feel.

Got the game today and played through the prologue. Physical Switch copy.

The game does indeed run at 60fps with no noticeable hiccups - except for one very action-y cutscene that seemed more like a short/hard cut then actual frame drops.

Can't wait to dive in further to this, love the Ys feel.
Thanks for sharing your first impressions with the Switch version. My Switch copy should hopefully arrive tomorrow and I think I'll dive right in as well. :D

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've fallen down the rabbit hole with this game, already put in about 20 hours - and loving it. Great mix of action and story, feels very much like a Ys game (make sense considering it's Falcom). Definitely makes me want to keep playing through the rest of the Trails series, even though they're seemingly unrelated!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This goes on my interest list, anything from the Trails franchise (or its subsidiaries) is of interest to me.

Sojiro

My copy just arrived today, I have never played the PSP version so I look forward to jumping in with it.

drganon

God bless falcom. Just started reverie, so it'll be a while before I get this. So many games, so little time.

Deerock71

So glab I nabbed a physical copy of this on a whim after glancing at reviews while picking up my copy of Star Ocean: Second Story R on the Switch. I think I've stumbled upon two pieces of platinum. Honestly, I've been playing Nayuta more than Star Ocean, which shocks me!

Last edited:

Deerock71

This game is blowing my mind! I picked up a physical copy on impulse when picking up Star Ocean: Second Story R, and it is absolutely STEALING the limelight. This is the game they should've studied when making Metroid: Other M. If Zelda was going to maintain tight spaces, then this SHOULD'VE been what Zelda 2 was (in fact, re-imagining Zelda 2 with this blueprint should be made!).

I don't want to tell you anything, other than BUY IT! And don't HESITATE to buy it if you happen to see a physical copy in the wild, like I was fortunate enough to do. This will turn into gold-pressed LATINUM in a decade.
star trek GIF

Top Bottom