• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild - Everything We Know

Status
Not open for further replies.
More than the whole matter about "traditional" dungeons, what kind of worries me is the presence of classic tools from the series. All the ones we've seen until now (Bow, Bombs, Fire Rod) were all included into weapons, but i wonder if we'll get something like longshots, boomerangs etc. for solving puzzles. Any info on those?

Nothing so far.

It's a good bet that they are in the game, I would think.

I never noticed they had an expanded stamina gauge in the Game Awards footage, and I'd forgotten about that weird L shaped Sword in the inventory which looks like it could act as a boomerang when thrown.

It's used by Lizalfos enemies which confirm they also use different weapons besides spears, bows and unarmed.

More than the whole matter about "traditional" dungeons, what kind of worries me is the presence of classic tools from the series. All the ones we've seen until now (Bow, Bombs, Fire Rod) were all included into weapons, but i wonder if we'll get something like longshots, boomerangs etc. for solving puzzles. Any info on those?

Well, they've re purposed a lot of tools from previous games in the series for puzzle solving. So even there aren't "dungeon" items in a sense, they've applied their previous uses to take advantages of the systemic design in this game. The Deku Leaf in WW was repurposed into the Paraglider and the Korok Leaf. Instead of Longshots, expect Rope arrows with actual physics like in the trailer, you've got the 4 main rune abilities (which act as the traditional dungeon items but are also extremely flexible in combining with Link's other tools), some items are better at doing different things like Swords and Axes for cutting down trees or mining. You've got lightning rods and Fire rods and the elemental arrows which can be used to transform items on the overworld. There's probably more "puzzles" that use Link's moveset than any other Zelda.

So in a sense, I wouldn't expect the classic items themselves to pop up, but a lot of what they did will probably be in this game.

Story of my 2017 so far. This fucking game.

This is truly The Legend of Zelda game I've always wanted since being a child and playing the original on the NES.

I also like how Eiji Aonuma and Shigeru Miyamoto are being so secretive about the game. One of my friends told me that in a recent interview with Eiji Aonuma, he admitted that he's been purposely giving out misleading information because he wants players to be surprised! Does anyone have a link to this?

Frankly, I think I'm just wondering how a Double Guardian Battle in an open field is gonna play out. Would it be possible to weave one of their shots into each other?

watershed

Banned
Frankly, I think I'm just wondering how a Double Guardian Battle in an open field is gonna play out. Would it be possible to weave one of their shots into each other?

Definitely possible. We've already seen tons of enemies hitting each other on accident. I'm sure the Guardian laser can do the same.

Onikaan

This is truly The Legend of Zelda game I've always wanted since being a child and playing the original on the NES.

I also like how Eiji Aonuma and Shigeru Miyamoto are being so secretive about the game. One of my friends told me that in a recent interview with Eiji Aonuma, he admitted that he's been purposely giving out misleading information because he wants players to be surprised! Does anyone have a link to this?

That honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Aonuma is a troll.

watershed

Banned

I haven't read this, it could be from one of the French interviews. The closest I've seen is Aonuma saying he has to be careful of what he says because rumors spawn from people misinterpreting his casual comments.

I haven't read this, it could be from one of the French interviews. The closest I've seen is Aonuma saying he has to be careful of what he says because rumors spawn from people misinterpreting his casual comments.

I just asked my friend about it and he said that it was from a podcast - but he can't remember which one.

Cloukyo

Banned

Kojimaaa

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So famitsu ad pages show Zelda characters...

Not!Falco (Reebal?) is literally Falco with braids lmao

Lol!

If they can't produce the receipts don't believe them.

I think he misheard something - however someone in another thread mentioned it also:

I wouldn't. Aonuma said he's been purposely giving out misinformation to ensure surprises. RESIST!

So famitsu ad pages show Zelda characters...

Not!Falco (Reebal?) is literally Falco with braids lmao

Reebal is the Falco-looking character's name? That's a cool name!

EDIT: If you take that kanji and translate it with Google translate, it comes back as "Rival"

Hmm...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Reebal is the Falco-looking character's name? That's a cool name!

EDIT: If you take that kanji and translate it with Google translate, it comes back as "Rival"

Hmm...

"Rival" as in "rival" is wrong since kana are all short vowels, it reads as rii-ba-ru

"Rival" as in "rival" is wrong since kana are all short vowels, it reads as rii-ba-ru

Oh, cool :)

I wonder if they're going to change the names for other versions - Ribaru sounds cool, but I wonder if the supporting characters will have different names in the North American and European versions?

iFirez

So we've met 3 of these blue fabric wearing characters now. Who's the fourth? The Gerudo lady? Zelda? Well the Gerudo we've seen (One, Two) doesn't seem to be wearing any blue at all like these 3 are, while Zelda we've seen wearing blue... maybe there are 5 companions (if we include zelda and the 4)... either way I love the blue sash/scarf design of these characters, very cool.

So we've met 3 of these blue fabric wearing characters now. Who's the fourth? The Gerudo lady? Zelda? Well the Gerudo we've seen (One, Two) doesn't seem to be wearing any blue at all like these 3 are, while Zelda we've seen wearing blue... maybe there are 5 companions (if we include zelda and the 4)... either way I love the blue sash/scarf design of these characters, very cool.

She is, however wearing a blue choker and blue lipstick - maybe that's something? Also, we haven't seen if she's perhaps wearing a blue sash around her waist in this fashion:

latest

Cerium

The Gerudo were never part of the Kingdom of Hyrule though. A big plot point in OOT was that they're independent and not subject to the royal family.

iFirez

The Gerudo were never part of the Kingdom of Hyrule though. A big plot point in OOT was that they're independent and not subject to the royal family.
If this is the case she may play a role similar to Nabooru from OoT. It might be interesting that these 3 races are helpful and nice all the time but she may be a little stand off ish, demanding and ungrateful to begin with and learn to like Link later.

If this is the case she may play a role similar to Nabooru from OoT. It might be interesting that these 3 races are helpful and nice all the time but she may be a little stand off ish, demanding and ungrateful to begin with and learn to like Link later.

That seems accurate, based on the Gerudo of past titles. In OoT, they were very private and untrustworthy of outsiders.

Raimond

I'm still surprised there 900 Korok seeds or w/e. To me... Well I just can't think of having to ever collect that many of one collectible in a game. And each time you get a little dialogue with a Korok. Insane!

This is why I honestly think it's a typo and should be 90... But we'll see!

13ruce

Banned

They did go out with Hylian boys tho according to a gossip stone in OoT, wich could explain the pointy ears that one Gerudo girl has in the trailer.

Anyway you are right they probably still are but they wil help this time. I doubt they like Ganon or Ganondorf at all, after the events of Ganon destroying Hyrule and the area's around it in this game.

All Gerudo are technically mixed-race, so that shouldn't be anything new.

To me, the Gerudo seem like Ninjas - they are stealthy, honor-focused and very reclusive. Ganon was the black sheep that defied convention and went the "conquer the world" route.

On a side note, I wonder if the towns in BotW will be large and how many there will be?

To me, the Gerudo seem like Ninjas - they are stealthy, honor-focused and very reclusive. Ganon was the black sheep that defied convention and went the "conquer the world" route.

On a side note, I wonder if the towns in BotW will be large and how many there will be?

The ones shown looked decent sized,is that all of them though

Is there fishing? This is the most important question my wife has.

I certainly hope so, with all that water and many different types of fish!

It would be a tremendous waste of an opportunity if it's not included. Eiji Aonuma has already stated that there are several mini-games; hopefully fishing is one of them :)

The ones shown looked decent sized,is that all of them though

I certainly hope not! Eiji Aonuma has said that he was influenced by Skyrim - specifically it's towns and cities - as an inspiration for them in The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild. When walking into a new city, village, town or encampment, he was amazed at all the new things to see and do, as well as the many citizens going about their routines - and we all know that Skyrim has many of those; so let's hope in a world as tremendously large as Breath Of The Wild's, that he implemented that inspiration succinctly.

Gerudo have been described by Nintendo as thieves that had to kidnap and rape people for their race to continue. They were outcast of Hyrule due to their culture. They are not inherently evil and there are good ones but I could see how that environment could breed someone like Ganondorf and Twinrova.

The Gerudo we see in BotW is clearly an ally but I wonder what role she will have. As I've stated before I believe there is importance to the four characters seen standing on top of each Divine Beast. I suspect that each beast will have a master that can tame it. Ribal, Darkel and Mifa likely are three of them and their weapons play a role in beating the beasts. You can't make it out 100% in the trailer but it looks like the Gerudo is carrying a special weapon too. I think these characters could be playable, perhaps only for their respective dungeon. It'd be a cool throwback to Majora's Mask being able to play as a Goron and Zora in addition to a Rito and Gerudo.

Wow, that's an incredible amount of history, talent, nostalgia and fandom touching that Master Sword replica...

...and Greg Miller is touching it also ;)

Gerudo have been described by Nintendo as thieves that had to kidnap and rape people for their race to continue. They were outcast of Hyrule due to their culture. They are not inherently evil and there are good ones but I could see how that environment could breed someone like Ganondorf and Twinrova.

The Gerudo we see in BotW is clearly an ally but I wonder what role she will have. As I've stated before I believe there is importance to the four characters seen standing on top of each Divine Beast. I suspect that each beast will have a master that can tame it. Ribal, Darkel and Mifa likely are three of them and their weapons play a role in beating the beasts. You can't make it out 100% in the trailer but it looks like the Gerudo is carrying a special weapon too. I think these characters could be playable, perhaps only for their respective dungeon. It'd be a cool throwback to Majora's Mask being able to play as a Goron and Zora in addition to a Rito and Gerudo.

I really hope it's not "Darkle" - hopefully it's "Darukuru".

That sounds far cooler than Darkel lol :)

I'm still surprised there 900 Korok seeds or w/e. To me... Well I just can't think of having to ever collect that many of one collectible in a game. And each time you get a little dialogue with a Korok. Insane!

This is why I honestly think it's a typo and should be 90... But we'll see!
I mean so far we've seen
getting seeds while jumping in a circle of water and climbing to the top of the Temple of Time, and probably more but I never watched all the footage.
with them being simply odd environments to explore out of place things I can easily see being able to fit 900 and hope its true even if I will never find them all.

Also one more month to go. Its been a long time since I've been this hyped. Since Smash 4 atleast.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm a bit bummed I can't rename Link. This series was the only one in which I've always entered my first name.

I always called him Link anyway, when you have such a well-known character with a well-defined name, calling him anything else feels weird. I'm not playing as the blank-slate nobody you start out as in most RPGs.

I can see why people would be upset though, as naming your Link is probably a tradition for most.

iFirez

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know who's making the BoTW and Switch OTs? I'd love to help with some graphic design and formatting for them.

I always called him Link anyway, when you have such a well-known character with a well-defined name, calling him anything else feels weird. I'm not playing as the blank-slate nobody you start out as in most RPGs.

I can see why people would be upset though, as naming your Link is probably a tradition for most.

I always did Link and then for second playthroughs I do Maxwell, my dog's name :)

I didn't realize this at first but the final strike of each weapon class' basic attack will each knockback the enemy in a particular direction. Backwards for the spear, left for 2 handed weapons and right for one handed weapons. In addition AoE attacks tend to bounce enemies into the air so there's a subtle layer of depth with how the physics are applied to combat if you want to knock an enemy into a particular direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom