• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I’m about 70 hours in after 12 days of starting up the game and taking a couple of days off. I was very skeptical about this game, especially coming off of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but it has far exceeded any expectation I had.

Although the voice acting is atrocious, the rest of the game is wonderful and looks beautiful.

I only wish it ran in 4K at 60 FPS like I have seen in CEMU, but still looks great on my television with upscaling.

A real masterpiece.

Tapioca

Banned
I wish they'd release a real DLC for this game. I beat it near launch and would love to have an actual expansion on the game,

checkcola

I just started this game. Having a blast. The broken weapons aren't a big deal for me, so much out there. Also, the art direction is great. Hmm, only thing that annoyed me, I caught up with the guy to give Korok seeds and he only makes two trades and he's like, I'm outa here. Come on! I had over 20! LOL.

checkcola

The reason I am just now playing this game is because I just recently got a Switch and I refused to use my old Wii U for this game. I also am glad to be playing it when the hype is over. Can't imagine playing this while the intense debating was going on. LOL

I also got the Zelda Amiibo and the expanded players guide with her on the cover. I adore her character design.

(Wind Waker is the Zelda game I've probably played the most times actually, one of my favs)

checkcola

The rain is annoying me. Seems to pop up when I am about to do climbing. I also accidently picked some apples from a couple trees that are actually apart of a puzzle to get a seed. Have to wait on them to respawn. I also raised some nice cash just selling some random dishes I made. Also beat a couple of those mini-bosses that are at different spots on the map. Overall, I am having fun.

checkcola

Well, I'm getting places in BotW. Beat two of the Divine Beasts. I also found myself in a problem, I was having to leave behind cool weapons/shields/bows, so I took a pause and found the seed guy in the forest and opened up all the slots. I have realized I wasn't doing things as efficent as I could. LOL. I am now pausings to upgrade all the armor I have, have to do a bit of farming, but its not too annoying. I also quite like the shrines that are tied to mazes. I was obsessed with maze books when I was a kid.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Zelda BOTW is a masterpiece, can not wait for a sequel. What are your hopes for it?

Double the amount of enemies. The first game didnt have enough variety at all.

Traditional dungeons (but keep shrines as their own thing, I loved finding new ones and trying new puzzels). I say do 3 to 4 traditional dungeons and have 50 to 70 shrines instead of 120 or however many there were.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
My save file (Wii U; countless hours, all story points / memories / etc completed, roughly 8-10 hidden shrines left to find in the world) was accidentally deleted by my son, who wanted to create a new file but did it on my profile.

So... my original plan was to finish finding the few remaining shrines (note: I never use any spoilers or hints or Youtube vids, even mild ones) and then buy the Champions DLC.

New plan... ? Perhaps I should buy the Master Mode DLC and start over with higher difficulty. Or just buy the Switch version one day and start over on that platform.

kiiltz

My save file (Wii U; countless hours, all story points / memories / etc completed, roughly 8-10 hidden shrines left to find in the world) was accidentally deleted by my son, who wanted to create a new file but did it on my profile.

So... my original plan was to finish finding the few remaining shrines (note: I never use any spoilers or hints or Youtube vids, even mild ones) and then buy the Champions DLC.

New plan... ? Perhaps I should buy the Master Mode DLC and start over with higher difficulty. Or just buy the Switch version one day and start over on that platform.
I haven't given it a try yet but Master Mode sounds like a terrible idea to me given how awful the scaling already is. And while durability isn't an issue in normal mode I could easily see it being a legitimate headache in Master Mode.

BotW is for relaxation, friend. If you're content with the landscape then I personally recommend starting over again. The thing I really enjoy about BotW is how different things can look upon revisiting them at a different angle.

Also, if you didn't before, try the Japanese audio :)

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I need a bit of advice. I got off the plateau a while back and didn't go back to the game. I've now returned, advanced to the second little village and have been told to seek out the four divine beasts. I need some catch up help lease fellow gaffers

1. My inventory can hold like three weapons - wtf
2. Weapons...are breaking after like one encounter? wtf. I don't mind swapping, but should I be going through them this quickly?
3. Quests - not really sure what to do, some enemies can literally 3 hit kill me. I feel like I need to improve my character, but not really sure how to.
4. I've crossed into lands but the map has not uncovered. Do I just wander round to find shrines and temples?
5. Completely forgot how to use my sheikh slate so need to look back at how to get bombs going etc.

HALP!

Last edited:

kiiltz

I need a bit of advice. I got off the plateau a while back and didn't go back to the game. I've now returned, advanced to the second little village and have been told to seek out the four divine beasts. I need some catch up help lease fellow gaffers

1. My inventory can hold like three weapons - wtf
2. Weapons...are breaking after like one encounter? wtf. I don't mind swapping, but should I be going through them this quickly?
3. Quests - not really sure what to do, some enemies can literally 3 hit kill me. I feel like I need to improve my character, but not really sure how to.
4. I've crossed into lands but the map has not uncovered. Do I just wander round to find shrines and temples?
5. Completely forgot how to use my sheikh slate so need to look back at how to get bombs going etc.

HALP!
1. Shouldn't really be an issue in the early stages of the game until you start getting higher grade weapons. You need Korok seeds to unlock more slots and then you need to find the Korok guy (you should have seen him on the way to the village, after the he goes back home, remember to ask him for directions).
2. Short answer: yes. Especially if they're the wooden weapons you typically run into early game. Remember to throw any flashing red weapons to deal a crit.
3. Use Spirit Orbs to upgrade health/stamina, Homebrew elixers or find a Great Fairy to upgrade your gear if you're worried about getting 1 shot. Alternatively you can save scum before every encounter.
4. BotW is open ended. You can travel whereever you want, whenever you want and whatever order you want. If you want to unlock the map though, you need to find the Ubisoft towers.
5. There should be tutorials in the menu in case you you've forgotten how to use the slate.

Best advice I can give you: Explore. BotW heavily favours the explorer and the inquisitive and curious types. I had 70 Korok seeds before I finally got a new weapon slot. Getting all the towers and a few shrines along the way is a good start.

Gargus

Banned
Does it get better with time?

I've started this 3 separate times and after an hour or 2 I am simply just bored with it. Maybe 2d zelda games are what I should stick to instead. I also hate weapon breakage in any game and that seems to annoy me a lot in this.

I want to like it and enjoy it but I'm just finding it difficult.

Top Bottom