• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Anteo

Well, anyone. I haven't seen any videos or anything, cos I haven't seen Ganon myself, and fear spoilers. I just thought it'd be a cool thing to do. What prohibits you doing this exact thing?

Edit: Ah, you would have to get the paraglider first. Shame. A half naked Link taking on Ganon with a stick would be hilarious.

Well you would not be able to go through the
speed run exclusive boss rush
fast enough if you had just a stick so runners pick up some weapon in the castle

Don't know if you guys know this. High level bokoblins can ride bears!

DDouxxMVoAAtKyg.jpg

I'm free!

Final boss is a bit anticlimactic when you've done the divine beasts and
you Google what to do about his golden shield because you can't be bothered anymore
but I feel so much better now that it's done. Will be able to go into DLC whenever it drops with a fresh mind.

fluffthetiger

Neo Member
I was getting a little bored and just wanted to get to Hyrule Caste and beat the game. Then I came across the island
where you get stranded castaway style
and fell in love with the game again. Really wish I came across this area earlier! Super cool.

Still not sure how to use flint though...

Jimrpg

I put five hours into it (and loved it) back in March when the game came out but then decided to play Nioh and a few other things first.

Now I got my second tower and opened the second area, how do you increase the stamina bar for running? I feel like it’s a bit slow when trying to cover such huge expanses of land in the beginning.

TheMoon

I put five hours into it (and loved it) back in March when the game came out but then decided to play Nioh and a few other things first.

Now I got my second tower and opened the second area, how do you increase the stamina bar for running? I feel like it’s a bit slow when trying to cover such huge expanses of land in the beginning.

you must be drowning in spirit orbs... did you forget about the goddess statue you hopefully saw while climbing around the ruins of the Temple of Time (of which smaller versions can be found in every town).

As TheMoon mentions, you can use the goddess statues to increase either your max hearts or max stamina.
4 likes = 1 prayer
4 spirit orbs = 1 upgrade.

Macchiato

man y'all i need info on the Champion's Ballad like yesterday.

I really hope they put a focus on story too - i don't mind if it's linear, as long as it's a fun, engaging, satisfying journey.

Some of y'all are saying that since the amiibos are dropping 10 Nov, that means so is DLC. Is there precedent for that, though? Don't they sometimes release amiibo before they're useful (or way after)?

TheMoon

I really hope they put a focus on story too - i don't mind if it's linear, as long as it's a fun, engaging, satisfying journey.

Some of y'all are saying that since the amiibos are dropping 10 Nov, that means so is DLC. Is there precedent for that, though? Don't they sometimes release amiibo before they're useful (or way after)?

a week after is more likely, the last zelda anniversary amiibo came out a week before DLC 1.

If we don't get news very soon, i don't think the dlc will release with the amiibo.

I want it too, i don't think it should be linear though, it would be against the game's entire premise. And considering the very brief video we got from that zelda masterclass presentation, it shows zelda going to teba flight range and gerudo town. I really love the world and story of this game, so getting more from my favorite zelda (the character and game) is very exciting.

And of course, more urbosa, mipha, daruk and revali is super cool too.

I just got to the ball maze shrine. Is there something wrong with my JoyCon? There is a constant drift towards the right. I'm playing with both JoyCons separate and even the gyro aiming is fucked.

Anteo

I just got to the ball maze shrine. Is there something wrong with my JoyCon? There is a constant drift towards the right. I'm playing with both JoyCons separate and even the gyro aiming is fucked.

Iirc thats a problem that comes from not turning off the game. Therr was a fix online, something about using zoom with the sheika tablet but if it doesnt work the just close the software and restart

Freeman76

I am about 20 hours into this and beat the first divine beast. I am thinking of buying the season pass for all the new stuff, as the game is just superb. I had it on Wii U and for some reason I couldnt stick with it, a few months later I bought a Switch and this came with it, thought I would have another bash and I am hooked! My favourite Zelda is OoT and I think this may even trump it :)

I was wondering, will buying the season pass affect my playthrough in any way?

Many thanks

Anteo

I am about 20 hours into this and beat the first divine beast. I am thinking of buying the season pass for all the new stuff, as the game is just superb. I had it on Wii U and for some reason I couldnt stick with it, a few months later I bought a Switch and this came with it, thought I would have another bash and I am hooked! My favourite Zelda is OoT and I think this may even trump it :)

I was wondering, will buying the season pass affect my playthrough in any way?

Many thanks

You will get lots of new quests and also some extra features for your map.

I just cheesed this by turning the entire maze 90 degrees to the right (left?), so that the ball falls right in front of the exit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
OK, so Golden Lynels are hard. Between the massive health and the fact a single hit can take off a ton of health, there's very little room for error.

Jimrpg

you must be drowning in spirit orbs... did you forget about the goddess statue you hopefully saw while climbing around the ruins of the Temple of Time (of which smaller versions can be found in every town).

As TheMoon mentions, you can use the goddess statues to increase either your max hearts or max stamina.
4 likes = 1 prayer
4 spirit orbs = 1 upgrade.

Hmm I don't remember getting any spirit orbs? I'll have to check tonight when I play.

I did remember being asked to choose between a heart container or a stamina upgrade at the temple of time around the time I got my paraglider.

I'm heading to Hateno village, so I'll try and upgrade there. Thanks!

Hmm I don't remember getting any spirit orbs? I'll have to check tonight when I play.

I did remember being asked to choose between a heart container or a stamina upgrade at the temple of time around the time I got my paraglider.

I'm heading to Hateno village, so I'll try and upgrade there. Thanks!

Spirit Orbs are the things you get for completing the puzzle shrines. That's your main incentive of doing those. That, and they serve as good warp points. And they hold some neat weapons or shields from time to time.

Edit: I've got a question myself. I'm just in the middle of taking control of the first Divine Beast. Just wondering, is there are sort of recommended order in which to deal with those, without actually spoilering said order? I'm really just curious if all the beasts and surrounding areas would serve well as first target, or if one area is clearly designed to be tackled much later? For now I'm dealing with the Beast from the Zora's and it's going pretty smooth.

jariw

Edit: I've got a question myself. I'm just in the middle of taking control of the first Divine Beast. Just wondering, is there are sort of recommended order in which to deal with those, without actually spoilering said order? I'm really just curious if all the beasts and surrounding areas would serve well as first target, or if one area is clearly designed to be tackled much later? For now I'm dealing with the Beast from the Zora's and it's going pretty smooth.

Do stuff in the order you like in the game, including the divine beasts. We are 3 in our family that have beaten the divine beasts, and we all did it in different order.

TheMoon

as said above, it doesn't matter. wherever you are, do what you want there. if you're having issues, certain rewards will be more or less useful to you which would then indicated a preferred order but otherwise, go nuts.

So made it finally to the Korok Forest 🌳 and damn the frame rate gets very bad where the
sword
is. Never experienced anything like this in the game and this is in docked mode. Handheld mode I haven’t tried yet but will next.

Got a question about an early quest:

Its the one where you have to go to the lab to get your slate fixed, and you get the camera function added to it.

After this, it tells you that you can search for Shrines with it. I’ve tried doing this, but it doesn’t beep when they’re near by. Is it only new, undiscovered ones? I went to the beach after wards and saw one out at sea, and it wasn’t beeping for that.

Any ideas?

kennah

Its the one where you have to go to the lab to get your slate fixed, and you get the camera function added to it.

After this, it tells you that you can search for Shrines with it. I’ve tried doing this, but it doesn’t beep when they’re near by. Is it only new, undiscovered ones? I went to the beach after wards and saw one out at sea, and it wasn’t beeping for that.

Any ideas?

Only for undiscovered ones that you are close by. And even then it doesn't get all of them. It won't beep for shrine quests or other hidden ones.

TheMoon

Any ideas?

You have to turn it on :)

All the slate radar options are on the map screen. And yea, it doesn't beep for shrines you've already discovered of course.

Cheers. When it’s turned on, it doesn’t display in-game like the mushroom discovery one does, for example. Is that right? I selected it in the map menu so Inassile that’s ‘On’.

The mushroom one has a little radar on the bottom right of the game.

I'm still slowly making my way through this game, but the more I play, the more I like this game. I have a few questions, though.

How do elixirs work? Does adding more monster parts do anything? For example, say I want to make an elixir that increases my attack. If I add one "attack frog" (or whatever) and one monster part, how does this differ from one attack frog and four monster parts? Or four attack frogs and one monster part?

Also, I just beat a shrine called "A Major Test of Strength," in which I'm fighting a small (yet tough) Guardian. What is the tactic for dealing with its lasers? He charges them up, but there's nowhere in the room to hide behind, and an arrow to the eye doesn't stop the charging process. I ended up wailing on him and being revived by fairies, but there has to be a better way.

maxcriden

I'm still slowly making my way through this game, but the more I play, the more I like this game. I have a few questions, though.

How do elixirs work? Does adding more monster parts do anything? For example, say I want to make an elixir that increases my attack. If I add one "attack frog" (or whatever) and one monster part, how does this differ from one attack frog and four monster parts? Or four attack frogs and one monster part?

Also, I just beat a shrine called "A Major Test of Strength," in which I'm fighting a small (yet tough) Guardian. What is the tactic for dealing with its lasers? He charges them up, but there's nowhere in the room to hide behind, and an arrow to the eye doesn't stop the charging process. I ended up wailing on him and being revived by fairies, but there has to be a better way.

I think those can be parried with a shield. The K
akariko
Village Shrine will teach you how to parry, or re-teach you if you've been there before. I'm not very good at parrying, personally. You can also use this tactic on other enemies, including Guardians in the overworld.

RedCoyote

In elixirs, the monster ingredient affects duration. The amount of creates can determine the potency and duration. I've noticed there's a little bit of randomness involved too, like I've occasionally made a Fireproof Elixir that provides 2 Fire Resistance instead of 1, despite using the same exact recipe.

Regarding the shrine guardian laser move, you can easily run tight circles around them when they're firing (they'll fire like 4 times if you don't get hit).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think those can be parried with a shield. The K
akariko
Village Shrine will teach you how to parry, or re-teach you if you've been there before. I'm not very good at parrying, personally. You can also use this tactic on other enemies, including Guardians in the overworld.

They can 100% be parried with a shield. They also deal enough damage that parrying even one will end the fight. Just hit the button when you see the eye flash and hear the beep.

atr0cious

Shrines still aren’t appearing. I am using Pro HUD, maybe that’s it (although photographed items appear on that HUD fine). Weird.
Cheers. When it’s turned on, it doesn’t display in-game like the mushroom discovery one does, for example. Is that right? I selected it in the map menu so Inassile that’s ‘On’.

The mushroom one has a little radar on the bottom right of the game.
You can only choose one or the other. Shrine or any item you photograph. If you check the options by pressing y, the shrine option is the last one I believe.

BDGAME

Finally finish it! Amazing game! So many good moments. Sadly the last boss is not one of them (too easy).

At first I thinking in finish and sell it to buy Mario, but now I thinking in maybe wait to see what that " Ballad of the champions" is about.

I made everything I want and finish almost every mission after more than 140 hours. But I want more. That game is addictive.

If Ballad of the champions is cool enough I will buy it. Hope for the best.

Freeman76

This game is baffling how they made such an amazing amount of little tasks almost everywhere. I dont think I have ever played something that made me want to explore so much.

I remember when OoT released Miyamoto said he built it around his love for exploring and making dens as a kid. It seems Nintendo have really kept his vision alive in this game.

Avalanche

So has anyone done a speed run where they head straight to Ganon from the beginning of the game, armed with like a stick or something, and beaten him?

Did this the other day. Took a few hours including a number of deaths to the bosses.

It’s super tough, particularly thunderblight and calamity v1, but doable if you know how to parry, make strength potions and collect some good weapons from the castle. The big thing I noticed is that most attacks can’t kill you outright if you’re at full health, so you need to make sure you’re always topped up.

Freeman76

you're confusing this with zelda 1, no?

No.

I have 2 questions guys

1. Is there a way of finding how many shrines I have completed without counting on the map?

2. Is Hyrule Castle something that should be left right til the end or can I go there and get at least some way into it for sidequests and then come back when more powered up?

Thanks.

Top Bottom