• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

No invites yet on my end to the Nintendo Discord. I am in the general GAF one though.

Fair enough. It may be getting glossed over but for any of you who already have access to any other sub communities will have a clear road ahead. I'd suggest for any who aren't in one already try other communities they're a part of too or other visible Nintendo threads as in 3 goes I don't think I've had any luck getting the post noticed.

Aw man, I didnt know there was a NintendoGAF discord. Probably would have been one I actually kept up on.

Can totally understand if I cant get in but if an invite is possible that would be amazing. Its so weird not having a place to read/discuss stuff anymore :\

Ok so the Nintendo discord is currently locked. Probably due to 4chan trying to raid all the discord servers. I can say for sure though that the mods and admins are aware there are stragglers here now so if they can open up invites at some point in sure they'll have your backs.

Mumford

Would like to be invited to the NintendoGAF Discord as well; thanks all. ^Nevermind, just saw the post above me. I'd still love an invite when everything settles down though, I didn't know a NintendoGAF Discord existed.

You'll see me in a new Era

Megatron

What's the current speed record for this? Is it 39 min, 25 seconds? Is speedrun.com where you go to see that? I watched one that was like 39 minutes, 38 seconds yesterday. Pretty great stuff.

takriel

What's the current speed record for this? Is it 39 min, 25 seconds? Is speedrun.com where you go to see that? I watched one that was like 39 minutes, 38 seconds yesterday. Pretty great stuff.
Watch the All Dungeons one, it's much more impressive and entertaining!

Wow ******** is blocked, how incredibly, maddeningly petty.

Anyways there will be a place soon where this discussion can continue if you’d like. It will be open soon enough- they’re working on securing it now. I’ll let everyone know as soon as there are details to share because I don’t know shit!

I got one of those Zelda posters at Gamestop recently. Looks kind of nice in my Zelda display. Wish it was a little wider but oh well.

I am also looking into replacing the batter operated led lights at the top with a light that is powered by USB. It would be neat if I could have it turn on when the Switch is on, which is located near this display.

cCe7kJF.jpg

OrionFalls

Really, take it slow. Explore a lot and don't rush. Because if you do rush it you will regret it later. If you are distracted by something, go with whatever distracts you.

I did the whole thing in layers. All towers - all maps, all towns that I could see on the maps and so on. But I missed a ridiculously huge amount on the way and wish that I had slowed down earlier. Hell, it took me 310 hours to get around to defeating Ganon and I still wish I had taken it slower!
I am a sucker for exploring so this will be no different but I was asking more about combat, etc. Do I want to go all in or is the game a lot like Dark Souls?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I am a sucker for exploring so this will be no different but I was asking more about combat, etc. Do I want to go all in or is the game a lot like Dark Souls?

I wouldn't know about Dark Souls - never played it. Also, I'm pretty bad at combat. My primary early-game skill in BOTW was running away.

That said, you'll learn more and faster if you go all-in on enemies from the beginning. Sure, you'll die a lot, but you'll also learn about what to not do.

The only lesson I learned in late game that I wish I had cottoned on to earlier is that your most powerful weapon is an empty weapon slot. If you can steal an enemy's weapon he can't use it against you, and you win twice over.

OrionFalls

I wouldn't know about Dark Souls - never played it. Also, I'm pretty bad at combat. My primary early-game skill in BOTW was running away.

That said, you'll learn more and faster if you go all-in on enemies from the beginning. Sure, you'll die a lot, but you'll also learn about what to not do.

The only lesson I learned in late game that I wish I had cottoned on to earlier is that your most powerful weapon is an empty weapon slot. If you can steal an enemy's weapon he can't use it against you, and you win twice over.
I’ll bear that in mind! Merci :)

Is the Master Sword a post game reward?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I’ll bear that in mind! Merci :)

Is the Master Sword a post game reward?

No, you get it in the course of the game. It is one of the few things that has a prerequisite before you can get it - but first you gotta find the thing! You'll get a few clues from NPCs if you talk to them all.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Handwavy rumours of November 23rd - nothing to be relied on.

Guess I'll have to tackle the Trial of the Sword instead (gulp).

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Hey, happy to keep this one spinning (slowly) even if it is just the two of us. Better than nothing. I've beat Ganon but still have a whole heap of stuff to do and am still discovering surprising things - not that I can remember where many of them are ...

Sounds good to me. I hate that we split forums. It’s like the social equivalent of paid DLC maps for a multiplayer game. Splitting the user base is bad for everyone.

It’s funny how so many decry the ownership of GAF yet continue to (okay, I assume) buy things from companies like amazon and Walmart.

On topic I’m back to parity with where I was on the Wii U edition. Just beat the Divine Beast Vah Ruta. First one down! Only this time I discovered a hell of a lot of stuff I never did the first go around. Like the dragon on top of Mount Lanayru. That whole fight was amazing and I only made it by the seat of my pants. I ended up sprinting into the shine with my health ticking down to one heart due my cold-resist items being down to ten seconds left upon killing the calamity.

I was literally freezing to death as the cutscene played and was like “okay, please finish talking because I’m literally dying here!” Such a great moment though. If only for the shear timing of surviving it. With the help of a clutch and completely luck-based 100-meter sniper shot to an eyeball.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Just beat the Divine Beast Vah Ruta. First one down! Only this time I discovered a hell of a lot of stuff I never did the first go around.

Don't forget to revisit the route to Zora's domain and all the stuff around it now that it's not raining. It's a really pleasant area and relatively peaceful. Also easier to shoot things now you can actually see them! I only remembered to go back there last week. There's just so much I've missed!

I spent about 6 hours just exploring one mountain.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Don't forget to revisit the route to Zora's domain and all the stuff around it now that it's not raining. It's a really pleasant area and relatively peaceful. Also easier to shoot things now you can actually see them! I only remembered to go back there last week. There's just so much I've missed!

I spent about 6 hours just exploring one mountain.

Really? One mountain? I’ve got to do that. Unfortunately I reverted the the path I took on the Wii U version. South to Lurelin Village and then west along the beach into the jungle. I’m contemplating just saying no to the old habit and plunging north into the desert or Rito territory. Never been to either and I’m excited. It’s so nice to have time for video games again!

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I tend to take these games extremely slowly and try to extract as much as possible out of them so it may take me an expanse of time to find said mountain. Fair warning.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm on an extended break from this game, having sunk 400 hours into it so far.

Not that I actually wanted to, but my son wanted his console back (not really surprised at that) so it is 200 miles away.

Might have to scratch the itch by writing a review or something ...

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well guys, if there's just one thing i can say about this game, i'll say this - it is the absolute best role playing open world game since freakin' TESIII which is 16.5 year old game! No other game since TESIII gave me the same level of pure and extremely enjoyable exploration, amazing and magical atmosphere, the sence of wonder and discovery and OMFG! the sheer scale of this game and the world they've build is just bogles my fucking mind.

I mean, the second i've got the paraglider, jumped of cliff, landed on Hyrule Kingdom region below and looked up to see the cliff from which i jumped a few moments ago... my jaw was dropped miles down to the core of the earth... LITERALLY! How on earth they've build such a colossal and completely seamless world, absolutely ENORMOUS structures and fited all of this on a tiny cartridge to make it playable on a (let's be honest here) portable console?! I'm absolutely speechless.

This is THE GAME i've been waiting for so many years since TESIII and look who gave it to me, not Bethesda, not even CDPR (look, guys, i still love the hell out of the Witcher 3, but i really think that you should go and smoke ri-i-ight there in the corner), but Nintendo! This game alone is the beacon of hope for me and crystal clear indication of the fact that the absolute majority of modern "AAA" open world games is absolute bollocks and shit which should be purged in the hell's fire.

Last edited:

Blackie

Been meaning to get back to this game, finally beat Gannon and clear 400 hours playtime. So much has changed! Still so much to explore :D

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm so hate rain in this game. I'm literally waiting 10 min straight right now for it to stop to light up a pile of leaves to catch Korok seed. Even waiting a bunch of times til morning / noon doesn't help. For Christ's sake Nintendo! Why?!

jF7WATE.gif

clem84

Gold Member
I'm 10-12 hours into the game. Hammers are really useful to smash stones to get gems, but they seem to be pretty rare. I'm at the area where there is a ranch, where you can capture your first horse, right after the twin peaks. Is there an easy way to get hammers at this point in the game?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm 10-12 hours into the game. Hammers are really useful to smash stones to get gems, but they seem to be pretty rare. I'm at the area where there is a ranch, where you can capture your first horse, right after the twin peaks. Is there an easy way to get hammers at this point in the game?
There's a region below that with another village and tech lab and you can fast travel to this village and get a free hammer (every time you visit the village) at one specific spot across the bridge near the house - you'll know what i mean when you find it.

P.S. I'm sure you know this already but... you can also blow rocks with bombs to get various gems and yes, it's not an ideal way to get gems especially considering that gems will be scattered around the area after the blast and can fall of a cliff or into water prevent you from getting them... but i see not other alternative.

Last edited:

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

You could fast travel back to Owa Dam shrine on the plateau (the one where you learned the Statis rune). There's a hammer inside there, which I think regenerates.

Or you can use an big axe instead. There's one leaning against the outside back wall of the stable you are at.

Or plough onwards until you reach Hateno village, where there are always a couple of hammers lying around.

clem84

Gold Member
Hey thanks for the replies. Yeah I eventually went back to the stasis shrine. Very easy to get. Bombs are kinda messy. Hammers also work really well against those giant rock monsters.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Hey thanks for the replies. Yeah I eventually went back to the stasis shrine. Very easy to get. Bombs are kinda messy. Hammers also work really well against those giant rock monsters.
But not as good as huge rock swords.... you'll see ;)

Ugh, for the love of god, why inventory upgrade system for everything except crafting and key materials even in the game?! I've 320 Korok seeds already and only managed to spend 15 (!!!!!) in 100+ hours. What in the actual? At this goddamn rate i'll finish the game without even upgrading inventory space to the max and even if do get to this NPC closer to the end of the game... what's the point? I know when NPC is, it's just i don't feel like exploring the left side of the map right now or anytyme soon and why no one even considered this during game development and testing? I mean, it's pointless and there's no reason for it being in the game at all. Why not give as an option to upgrade inventory like HP and Stamina using statues, huh?

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
Does anyone know if the bloodmoon will revive those huge rock monsters and those cyclops? Oh, and guardians? It would be an easy way to mine those crystals and guardian parts.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Does anyone know if the bloodmoon will revive those huge rock monsters and those cyclops? Oh, and guardians? It would be an easy way to mine those crystals and guardian parts.
Yep, although guardians (the ones that walk around the world in various places) are not that easy to kill with their 1500 HP, but if you have a bow which can shoot 5 arrows at a time with 32 damage each or if you have ancient arrows which are expensive as hell and can only be made from guadian parts.... And there's also Lynel which are much tougher than any guardian and very hard to kill even after you've spent 160-170 hours in the game.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, 230 hours later i finally started to wipe the floor with Lynels. Goddamn it's such a great feeling! It's like i'm the fuckin' beast out here now and you are all my prey!

Md7PF5y.gif

clem84

Gold Member
I'm not that far in the game. I got a little fed up with managing my inventory and decided to make it to that forest where Hestu(?) says he'll be, where you can give him the Korok seeds. I'm trying to reach the center of the forest but I can't. The woods are misty and if you take the wrong path the screen becomes white and it takes you back to the last checkpoint. I've been looking for signs that would point me in the right direction but I can find them. At first I thought I had to keep a lit torch with me but it doesn't seem to help.

I don't want you guys to tell me how but, before I waste anymore time, I simply wanted to know if this is a place you can get through at any point in the game, you just have to figure out how, or if you need a specific item to get through those woods, in which case running around trying to figure it out would just be a gigantic waste of time.

Thanks.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm not that far in the game. I got a little fed up with managing my inventory and decided to make it to that forest where Hestu(?) says he'll be, where you can give him the Korok seeds. I'm trying to reach the center of the forest but I can't. The woods are misty and if you take the wrong path the screen becomes white and it takes you back to the last checkpoint. I've been looking for signs that would point me in the right direction but I can find them. At first I thought I had to keep a lit torch with me but it doesn't seem to help.

I don't want you guys to tell me how but, before I waste anymore time, I simply wanted to know if this is a place you can get through at any point in the game, you just have to figure out how, or if you need a specific item to get through those woods, in which case running around trying to figure it out would just be a gigantic waste of time.

Thanks.

The torch thing was right. Study the flame on the torch.

Just finished Witcher 3, and now it's time to go back to Hyrule. Once you know the layout and process, it is very easy to complete all of the beasts in BOTW, paving the way for the meat of the game-shrines and exploration. I only ever did 65 shrines the first time I beat ganon. We going for all of them this time. Starting fresh. And yes I will aim for all of the Korok seeds. Only found ~200 first play through.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Started fresh a few days ago. I had beaten the game w only 70 shrines and really wanted to start exploring again.

Damn this game is beautiful. Looking forward to all the side quests and cool out of the way stuff I missed the first time through.

Top Bottom