• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening review thread

So the game clearly framerate issues but still gets a nice score. Must be nice to have that Nintendo privlage where reviews ignore shortcomings on games

>Bloodborne, a first party game published by Sony that has a stuttering framerate and more than it's fair share of moments dipping below 30fps.

41kyruo.png

"Must be nice to have that Sony privliedge where reviews ignore any shortcomings on their games."

But on a more serious note, games are more than just their framerates. Would a smoother framerate be nice? Sure! But it's an inevitability that some games won't be fully optomized in that department, especially these days. I love Bloodborne, but I can admit that it's a janky mess when it comes to a consistent framerate.

Last edited:

TexMex

>Bloodborne, a first party game published by Sony that has a stuttering framerate and more than it's fair share of moments dipping below 30fps.

41kyruo.png

"Must be nice to have that Sony privliedge where reviews ignore any shortcomings on their games."

But on a more serious note, games are more than just their framerates. Would a smoother framerate be nice? Sure! But it's an inevitability that some games won't be fully optomized in that department, especially these days. I love Bloodborne, but I can admit that it's a janky mess when it comes to a consistent framerate.

I think tolerance for this kind of stuff has gone down a lot in recent years. And while the Bloodborne frame rate definitely isn't what it needs to be, when I play and look at that game I can at least see why it's getting bogged down. When I look at Link's Awakening - which I'm very excited for - I have no idea how it isn't easily running at 60FPS at all times, especially when games like Mario Odyssey do. I'd buy it no matter what the frame rate is, but I do think the expectation between those two games is very different.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I couldn’t wait until tonight and played it for about 30 minutes so far. Like previously stated, the “stuttering” seems to happen for about 1-2 seconds when you exit a building and it is barely perceptible. I’m not sure I’d even notice it if people hadn’t harped on about it.

Of course it may get worse later on or when there is a lot going on on the screen. I’ll chime back in if that happens.

I think tolerance for this kind of stuff has gone down a lot in recent years. And while the Bloodborne frame rate definitely isn't what it needs to be, when I play and look at that game I can at least see why it's getting bogged down. When I look at Link's Awakening - which I'm very excited for - I have no idea how it isn't easily running at 60FPS at all times, especially when games like Mario Odyssey do. I'd buy it no matter what the frame rate is, but I do think the expectation between those two games is very different.

I can tell you one of the biggest likely factors, and that's Unreal Engine 4, The exact same engine used to make Yoshi's Crafted World. Another first party developed Unreal Engine 4 Nintendo game that had to sacrifice docked resolution in order to run at a steady 60fps, no lie, the game is 576p on average, bumping up to 675p when the game has less demanding rendering going on, and the handheld resolution dips to as low as 396p! A huge amount of games that have tried using the engine on the Switch have also had shoddy performance, whether it be down to developer fault, or just the issues of running the engine on the Switch's less powerful hardware. The notoriously poor performing version of Bloodstained runs on that engine on the Switch as well. The engine has a weathered history of being a shit match with the Switch so far.

I'm just glad the dips are mainly when transitioning to a new area and it stops after a couple seconds.

Last edited:
M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
$92 on the nose, if I buy from Walmart. Lot of cash for not a lot of game.
Keep in mind Nintendo games hold their value for a long time so you could always sell the game once you're done with it.

I recently sold Majora's Mark on 3DS for $52.00. I bought it new for $60.00 at release.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member

41kyruo.png

yjsiLQV.png

Privilege you say?

Rodolink

Damn just got the opportunity to play the game at a friend's switch and I think Im kindda disappointed! The game certainly looks nice but thats it, gameplaywise im not very happy starting with link "snapping" rotation while truning instead of being smooth (like in TriForce heroes ie.). Framerate is really noticeable I thought it was all rant from people but nope. its there and its not nice. Music is very very beautiful though. Also another thing that was weird was that tiles are very easy to recognize and now in the remake screens are less identifiable. but thats not good ro bad just a comment.
Anyway ill give it a complete opportunity when I get a switch sometime...

garballax

we were so busy complaining about the framerate that we forgot to complain about being forced to use the analog stick! the movement's locked to 8-directional anyway, why can't we use the dpad? it's not like the dpad is being used for anything except changing floors in a few of the dungeon map menus. what a silly decision.

Tranquil

Ok but do you have some rule that you have to start playing new games the day they release? :lollipop_grinning:

I never understand these "I have to finish this single player game that I'm enjoying before this new single player game that I might enjoy comes out" mind set.

And you can already play DX11, the demo is pretty long(easily 5-10 hours) and progress carries over to the full game. :p

For me it's too easy to stop playing a game if I start playing a new one before I finish the old one.

Then there's the anxiety of never finishing the game. For some people it's best to play one game and finish it, then move onto the next.

Videospel

It's the best Zelda game I've ever played, and I have played ALL Zelda games :messenger_smiling_hearts:

giphy.gif
What, you can shoot bombs with arrows?

I just finished the game. Played the DX version before but never got past the seventh dungeon. All in all, I think it was a great game. In my opinion, the outrage against the blur effect and frame rate issues is really exaggerated. I barely noticed the blur at all. Some people even take an issue with the shiny trees and things like that, but I like the toy look of it. Finally, the frame rate only dips when entering a new area, probably some asset loading issue. After a couple of seconds it goes back to a steady 60 fps. I'm usually picky with frame rates, but in this case I didn't really care.

The only thing I didn't care for was the dungeon builder. I did just enough to get the heart piece and seashell out of it, but I see no point in collecting all the chamber stones for it. Really tedious, and really boring to play through rooms you have already seen.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

41kyruo.png

I think it's safe to say that Bloodborne is a more demanding game than Link's Awakening, though. I think the expectation is something as simple as LA should run perfectly.

With that said, I think the load times are what annoy me most with Bloodborne. Still my game of the generation. ;)

Top Bottom