• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Mr. Aonuma Gameplay Demonstration

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I simply come here to discuss games and be excite for upcoming games, but instead we get threads that goes full blown graphics tech or about controversy about what someone said on twitter or other social media crap or powerpoint presentation of sales charts as if they are some kind of investors or most weirdest one is obsessing over CEOs.
Indeed. I was being sarcastic lol. I'm the same. Just want the new headlines and then in depth discussion of games people are interested in.

ZoukGalaxy

dN61F6U.jpg
7peBasR.jpg

Once again one of these games has an ugly art style and washed-out color. one does not.
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

ER has ugly art style ?
Time to wear glasses and possibly a brain.

Both games have outstanding art style, it's just a matter of taste.

Last edited:

Trilobit

77f.gif

I didn't really think TotK would look better considering it's on the Switch, but there was still this little hope that it would be atleast somewhat different...

The video was funny because it was mostly "oh they removed that, and that, and that too, and that's gone."

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I simply come here to discuss games and be excite for upcoming games, but instead we get threads that goes full blown graphics tech or about controversy about what someone said on twitter or other social media crap or powerpoint presentation of sales charts as if they are some kind of investors or most weirdest one is obsessing over CEOs.
It would seem a majority only care about sales data, company status, social media, and what has the best graphics and performance or judging the merit of games on how pretty they look and how much they cost to make.

I rarely if ever see anything discussing gameplay mechanics and the creativity coming from them or lore discussions about the game's lore itself. I can spend hours with my sister talking about all the little details in BotW and Tears and where the story will go and the changes that are happening in Hyrule because of it just as an example. Nor do I see any discussion on the new implications in the Metroid franchise and how is evolving as a Metroid/Chozo/Human hybrid.

It's very interesting to me as games are becoming too mainstream and have been used as a political platform to push corporate agendas. Which the site is opposed to discussing politics in general?

And another thing I greatly dislike is all the content creators(on various platforms and usually for money) out there ruining any sense of discovery by telling people to min max this or use that build or don't buy this or this game should be played this way. I've found when you go on media blackout and figure out things yourself the game is infinitely more enjoyable to me. Like wow I didn't know this was here or wow I did not know you could play in this way.

It's becoming clear to me it's no longer about the games and having fun but how much money is spent on making one. Rather similar to a conversation I had with a person about music concerts where it's not about the music but all about the act or performance or even just to see and worship the person or band on stage. Feels pretty soulless and cheap.

It's no wonder that I enjoy games from 10 years ago or primarily AA indie devs that offer fun replayable experiences whereas in the AAA scene those are few and far between because most aren't remotely engaging.

But yeah I get entirely where you are coming from Danjin44. At some point it might be worth looking for likeminded people to discuss games with. I'm not seeing a lot of hope for it here.

I really hope diverse looking bosses and tactics to beat them return from the older Zelda games. It’s something that was a HUGE letdown for me from Breath of the Wild. They all looked the same and you beat them by shooting arrows. Look at the diverse bosses of Skyward Sword in comparison:

fkJHgHq.jpg
94Mkgvq.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Twilight Princess Bosses are probably to this day my favorite bosses to fight. Specifically Morpheel and Argorok. From drawing out the Eel(complete underwater fight at that!) as well as shattering the outer armor of the Dragon. So cool and still is to this day.

scalman

now imagine all the fuse and attach things people will come up there... i know i will be spending most time just ataching things to things to get some bizare and crazy results ... will be fun ... visually looks same.. well it couldnt upgrade on same tech so thats fine ... it will look amazing emulated to 4k though .
even if it looks more as DLC its fine ... i mean i still play first part and finding new stuff... but this will be what that game needed .. more customization ..more freedom

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
now imagine all the fuse and attach things people will come up there.
In general it’s pretty crazy to think we’ll go from only having Ice/Fire/Lightning/Ancient arrows in BotW to having possibly hundreds of arrow-types in this game.

Same with the weapons.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
There are caves. And with caves there is hope.
There was an island surrounded by dark clouds. And since they listened with the durability, I would say yes. Maybe it took them 6 years to design 40 dungeons (link has 40ish rings on this belt thing he has).

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I really hope diverse looking bosses and tactics to beat them return from the older Zelda games. It’s something that was a HUGE letdown for me from Breath of the Wild. They all looked the same and you beat them by shooting arrows. Look at the diverse bosses of Skyward Sword in comparison:

fkJHgHq.jpg
94Mkgvq.jpg

Ah yeah fighting the Imprisoned for the fourth time was fun!

Aldric

I'm still not hyped about the game in itself because we don't know enough about its structure and most importantly about the underground (this will make or break the game for me) but I have to admit these mechanics look genuinely fantastic. One thing I like too is how sky islands recontextualize the first game's core gameplay by maintaining that freedom of exploration while forcing the player to think a bit more about the way he can reach his destination. Don't get me wrong I love BotW's traversal loop but TotK's seems to be both an expansion and a limitation on it to make it even more engaging.

bobone

I'm not sugesting anything. I'm stating it.
That ubisoft breath of the wild clone is a better game than it. Plays better, looks better and is not as repetitive. It still got the score it deserved.
You stating botw review scores average means nothing to me as I made it pretty clear what my opinion about the ip is.
I've played more than a literal 5 hundred games. Botw doesn’t even rank in the top 200 of the games I played.
It's a boring game with annoying mechanics, extremely poor combat, repetitive copy and paste dungeons and a pretty much non existing story. The bosses are anti climatic.
This is what I played and I'm not letting anyone say otherwise.

You enjoyed it? Want more of the same? Good for you. I'm sure you'll have fun with the game.
I already know I won't.
I could forgive a lot if the combat was fun or it had a decent story.
I even remember people shitting on horizon in favor of botw back then. I couldn't believe it because horizon is a vastly better game. Poorer open world, but everything else? All around better.
I'll raise your 500 with another 500.
Been gaming for 30 years and I agree 100%.
Anyone that thinks BOTW is the best game of all time has played very few games. And that's fine.
To me this series should no longer be called Zelda; and if it was made by EA or Activision it would be reviewed in the mid 70s.

I would encourage anyone that truly thinks BOTW is that good to play other open world games and see for yourself how bland and boring it really is.

Robb

Gold Member
I would encourage anyone that truly thinks BOTW is that good to play other open world games and see for yourself how bland and boring it really is.
So what’s the criteria? I’ve played Horizon, GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Assassins Creed, Witcher 3, World of Warcraft, Far Cry, TES, Fallout, Spider-Man and more that I can’t even recall right now.

I’d still put BotW above all of those. I’m re-playing it right now and even today there’s nothing quite like it.

I feel open-world adventure games with a strong focus on puzzle solving are hard to come by in general.

jaysius

Banned

fkJHgHq.jpg
94Mkgvq.jpg
From what we've seen, don't get your hopes up too much, if anything it could be an even lazier boss design.

I really do miss the bosses though. Fuck I miss all of Zelda.

I really wish they'd go back to the ilk of OOT and give us a fucking good game again. Throw out the fucking art style that Nintendo's hardware can't process correctly, make some real performance targets.

Anyone that thinks BOTW is the best game of all time has played very few games. And that's fine.
To me this series should no longer be called Zelda; and if it was made by EA or Activision it would be reviewed in the mid 70s.

Or maybe -- and stick with me here...

You are wrong. I know it's hard to consider the possibility.

pure nonsense! BOTW is still the best open world game out there.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I have 5 nephews between 13-20 years old who are all hyped as hell watching this demo, and the 3 oldest are planning to buy the Zelda themed Switch.

Kinda feel like a lot of people in this thread are out of touch

Banjo64

cumsessed

Go on then name other open world games that are just as good (or better).

Let’s take Skyrim, Elden Ring and The Witcher 3 out of the equation.

-Zelda-

Banned
The game looks like shit
If you are talking about the new Zelda game, then even though it is Hyperbole, I have to agree. I guess that makes my post a "Drive by shitpost" also because God forbid someone have their own thoughts that go against the Hive.

That being said, I just have to come to terms with the fact that these Zelda games are simply not for me, but for those who do want it. Hopefully we get some more traditional Zelda games in the future in between these newer entries so everyone can be happy.

-Zelda-

Banned
I am glad I am not the only one who noticed things like this here. I wish this forum had subforums for each game like GameFAQs does. Each game it's own board, then this board could be for all the in general stuff like sales, graphics, reviews, tech.

Josemayuste

So what’s the criteria? I’ve played Horizon, GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Assassins Creed, Witcher 3, World of Warcraft, Far Cry, TES, Fallout, Spider-Man and more that I can’t even recall right now.

I’d still put BotW above all of those. I’m re-playing it right now and even today there’s nothing quite like it.

I feel open-world adventure games with a strong focus on puzzle solving are hard to come by in general.

My thoughts exactly.

Marvel14

Banned

I have played hundreds of games and plenty of open world games.

BOTW is incredible. Unlike Skyward Sword which did have plenty of review inflation BOTW was lauded by World renowned game developers because what it sets out to achieve it nails with stellar aplomb - free flowing exploration and discovery and individualised gameplay experiences.

That E3 demo was a phenomenon - players all talking about their diverse experiences in the same part of the game with lines stretching out of the conference centre to play and replay.

That's not to say the game is perfect for everyone. If you like story driven, complex combat, big and varied bosses, clear progression markers, weapon collecting and realistic graphics then BOTW WILL let you down. And that's OK.

The game is such an era defining experience people are still trying to shit on it 6 years after release. You have to have done something truly special to live rent free inside triggered gamers minds for such a long time.

It's a bizarre measure of success but it's a striking one.

BTW this thread is about TOTK not a 6 year old game.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Looks like the sandbox is going to be even crazier this time around. The only thing I didn't like was the Ascend ability. I'm probably outside the norm, but in BOTW I did every shrine and scaled every high point in the game prior to taking on the Divine Beasts. Each earned chunk of stamina let me explore more and more and that loop was super satisfying. When I did finally get Revali's Gale, I was glad I did so after all the exploration as it what have cheapened the experience and getting to the peaks of some of those mountains would have felt like far less of an accomplishment. The Ascend ability seems way "worse" in that regard. And yeah I get that you need those types of abilities as most people aren't going to do every Shrine, but Tears of the Kingdom does seem to have a pretty great alternative to that in the vehicle crafting.

The ascend ability is actually pretty specific since it needs a ceiling and most of the BoTW exploration is done where the only ceiling is the sky so it wouldn't actually change your playthrough and works specifically at curated locations like cave which are new.

Aldric

The ascend ability is actually pretty specific since it needs a ceiling and most of the BoTW exploration is done where the only ceiling is the sky so it wouldn't actually change your playthrough and works specifically at curated locations like cave which are new.
Ascend also seems specifically tailored for underground exploration, especially to seamlessly transition from the underground to the surface. We've already seen that you could organically go from a sky island to the surface in mere seconds with the new freefall mechanics, I suspect ascend will be mostly used to do the same but from the underground to the surface. Plus of course it opens up quite a few possibilities for indoors challenges and traversal puzzles (yes there are dungeons in the game, like come on).

Lethal01

Yeah, the ascend Ability does seem odd at first showing.

The Stasis, Bombs, Magnet, and block were all very versatile. You had every tool at the start to complete every Shrine and as you progressed you had those "Ah Ha" moments on how to be a little more creative with them.

I think the build mechanic will replace those small space, "McGyvering a solution" moments, and I can see how the time reverse/fuse can work in problem solving...

But ascend seems almost purely traversal right now which is odd. I can imagine finding hidden pockets in buildings and caves while ascending but that seems so bare bones compared to the others.

I think there is more to this one, I just dont know what. Like others are guessing maybe underwater segments or some connection to the building mechanics...

Ascend replaceses cryonis, which was also a niche traversal tool, except cryonisis was literally 10x more niche and pretty much only used for getting across water. BOTW originally had very few areas with roof really, so ascend is can both be custom tailored to not invalidate climbing but also way more useful than something that only works to go across water.

Exactly. I don't understand why this is so hard for some to grasp.
Well this would be true if the game is realistic, but it is a zelda game afterall, Super high up islands may simply not cast shadows and be unloaded. Pure speculation ofcourse

The island we saw is about the size of the great plateau, the great plateau is about 1% of the play space,
image.png

which makes the math nice and easy, we would need about 50 islands to increase the size by 1.5x.
c7shmnup7yqa1.png
chpfc9usb5ra1.png

1ju0qhrp7yqa1.png
yr0wmkuq7yqa1.png

Then theres caves not just on the surface but also in the sky islands as we've seen

gi7z6ju4m2ra1.jpg

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Let’s hope that’s the case. At the very least it looks like you can go very high up.

Can’t wait to sail through the sky above the clouds!
I'm still thinking they are doing an opposite Majora, where instead of the moon coming down you're going up to the blood moon. Especially after the trailer were it was hinting that Ganon is on that moon (you see the moon when he starts talking). Maybe that's also me hoping we don't go to Hyrule castle again to kill him.

Robb

Gold Member
Maybe that's also me hoping we don't go to Hyrule castle again to kill him.
I definitely think we’ll be going to the castle again, but who knows how high up it’ll be by the end of the game.

I think we’ll see a lot of the ideas that went unused in BotW and I remember seeing this which seem very similar to what they’ve done with Hyrule castle this time;
float.png

Top Bottom