• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Mr. Aonuma Gameplay Demonstration

Aldric

One other thing I liked about this presentation is that it recontextualized some of the previous footage, specifically the 2021 teaser and the section starting at 42 seconds:

When I saw it I thought it was just random editing but now I've understood they were focusing on Link's new arm because they were showing you some of the new core abilities in rapid succession. The most interesting part is this:

iz6ftzne0p571.png

People thought it was linked to the Ascend ability but since it's shown between Fuse and Ascend I'm pretty sure it's another new core mechanic we still haven't seen in action. I don't think it's a time reversal mechanic either since we already have Recall so my best guess is it's a water manipulation power that might allow Link to "shrink" or concentrate water into small droplets which might be a way to deal with underwater exploration without the dreaded swimming mechanics.

Mozza

Why are some people just so damn critical in this thread?

What I've seen looks great and can't wait for this shit to drop.

Trust there are some mind-blowing secrets😋
They use Nintendo's lack of information as proof it's the same game, but with added abilities. Which seems ludicrous for many reasons, we know the new game is using a version of the same map, a map that Nintendo urged us to explore, so no wonder considering many breath of the wild owners will be buying this new game, that Nintendo want these players not only seek out all these new changes, but also be surprised by them. Not all that hard to grasp surely.

Another big issue with their argument is the time in which this game has taken to develop, 5-6 years is way too long for a simple DLC release with added abilities. This will feel like a totally new game, certain of it.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Why are some people just so damn critical in this thread?

What I've seen looks great and can't wait for this shit to drop.

Trust there are some mind-blowing secret
There is nothing in this world that somebody somewhere won't take a shit on.

And the more something is a success the more virulent the shits. This is modern living.

You enjoyed it? Want more of the same? Good for you. I'm sure you'll have fun with the game.
I already know I won't.
I could forgive a lot if the combat was fun or it had a decent story.
I even remember people shitting on horizon in favor of botw back then. I couldn't believe it because horizon is a vastly better game. Poorer open world, but everything else? All around better.

You're free to like or dislike what you like. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who would agree with you.

But to write off a new game before you know fully what it offers and how it plays seems rather spiteful bordering on self loathing.

Did BOTW destroy the relationship with the love of your life? Has it made you question your life choices?

In any case we're sorry for your losses (past and future).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wanted a blowout about everything about the game, the world, the enemies, the gameplay, the story, when we heard it's gonna be 10 minutes long but in the end they just showed basically one feature, crafting stuff. Sure, it's a pretty integral and fun addition to the BOTW mechanics but still...

Last edited:

ADiTAR

Banned
I wanted a blowout about everything about the game, the world, the enemies, the gameplay, the story, when we heard it's gonna be 10 minutes long but in the end they just showed basically one feature, crafting stuff. Sure, it's a pretty integral and fun addition to the BOTW mechanics but still...
They are going to do more, they're just edging us.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ascend replaceses cryonis, which was also a niche traversal tool, except cryonisis was literally 10x more niche and pretty much only used for getting across water. BOTW originally had very few areas with roof really, so ascend is can both be custom tailored to not invalidate climbing but also way more useful than something that only works to go across water.

Well this would be true if the game is realistic, but it is a zelda game afterall, Super high up islands may simply not cast shadows and be unloaded. Pure speculation ofcourse

The island we saw is about the size of the great plateau, the great plateau is about 1% of the play space,
image.png

which makes the math nice and easy, we would need about 50 islands to increase the size by 1.5x.
c7shmnup7yqa1.png
chpfc9usb5ra1.png

1ju0qhrp7yqa1.png
yr0wmkuq7yqa1.png

Then theres caves not just on the surface but also in the sky islands as we've seen

gi7z6ju4m2ra1.jpg

What island have we seen that is as large as the Great Plateau? I definitely haven't seen anything remotely that large.

kevm3

They've had ample time to show us why this is worthy of being $70 and worthy of being the sequel to BotW. They've heard the feedback and people's concern about this being a glorified "Botw 1.5". Just last week Doug Bowser felt the need to run some weak PR regarding the price.

Yesterday's demo was their answer to the doubters and for many of us it came up woefully short. Nintendo is not immune from disappointing releases. Obvs, it's more Botw so at worst it will still be "fun" to play and be better than most games but that's not the point.

Is this as good in '23 as Botw was in 2017? Did they put in enough effort to justify a $10 increase? Did they do enough to make up for the fact that they're reusing the map? Is this in line with the effort and quality of previous Zeldas? I'd argue that from what we've seen the answer is clearly a resounding NO. That doesn't mean they won't show more that can flip the script and wow us all but they've failed to do that so far.

No clear improvement or polish to the visuals- just something small to indicate a step up from the 6 year old prequel was needed and they did nothing. I'm talking small like cleaning up the shadow quality or improving textures here and there ..nope

We do have new abilities and some new enemies types but aside from that what is improved? Combat needed improvement. ..it looks just as basic as Botw.

We have some small changes to the map and sky islands which is welcomed but which is overall a net negative compared to Botw's completely new map.

They have a lot to prove still.

Nintendo is charging $10 more for Tears of the Kingdom because they can. It's sad, but BOTW was a Wii U game and Tears of the Kingdom doesn't look much better visually. Wii U as a system was already graphically behind it's peers and we're getting something only a touch better several years later.

Despite thinking the Switch was the overall best system of 'last gen', it's a bit sad how Nintendo gets praised for stuff that would get other developers roasted. We're supposed to pretend like this is mindblowingly innovative and there is some unbelievable art style here that compensates for a graphical level that isn't far off from the Wii U original

tr1p1ex

Nintendo is charging $10 more for Tears of the Kingdom because they can. It's sad, but BOTW was a Wii U game and Tears of the Kingdom doesn't look much better visually. Wii U as a system was already graphically behind it's peers and we're getting something only a touch better several years later.

Despite thinking the Switch was the overall best system of 'last gen', it's a bit sad how Nintendo gets praised for stuff that would get other developers roasted. We're supposed to pretend like this is mindblowingly innovative and there is some unbelievable art style here that compensates for a graphical level that isn't far off from the Wii U original
so no one can praise a Nintendo game because PS5 has a better gpu?

Last edited:

Lethal01

What island have we seen that is as large as the Great Plateau? I definitely haven't seen anything remotely that large.
Yes you have, The island shown in the demo is as big as the great plateau that's actually confirmed due to the coordinates on the map.
If it's smaller, it's maybe a difference of 10%.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes you have, The island shown in the demo is as big as the great plateau that's actually confirmed due to the coordinates on the map.
If it's smaller, it's maybe a difference of 10%.

Doubt. Show me please. The plateau is actually pretty big, it has several distinct biomes within it.

ADiTAR

Banned

What's sad is people thinking that Sony/ms charge more because of graphics.

Gambit2483

1000%

Forbidden west is one the the best looking games I've played but EVERYTHING else was average(thankfully the platinum wasn't too bad to get).

Give me a game like zelda with these physics to it over a game that just looks pretty but has nothing else going for it.
Some of it was above average. Underwater traversal was better than most

Lethal01

Doubt. Show me please. The plateau is actually pretty big, it has several distinct biomes within it.

if you like BOTW why you not hyped for this one? is it because it's more fo the same with new stuff added?
I need to see a Guarantee of as much new land to explore as I got in the first game.
Exploration was the best part of BoTW to me, exploring the same hills a second time is not enough.

Certinty

Looks like the same game which isn’t a good thing in the sense that BotW is six years.

Breakable weapons still sucks but the overall fusing part outside of weapons looks interesting.

Still not sure what to make of this, so far it doesn’t look overly great.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Woopah

At the moment there looks like some interesting new mechanics but not a lot of new content.

However, we also have to keepp in mind that Nintendo will keep things hidden. We learnt that with BOTW where people were complaining about "no towns" for months.

Markio128

So, will we be building our hearts/stamina with shrines again in TOTK?
I actually enjoyed the majority of the shrines in BOTW - well except for those giant marble tilting ones - they were rage inducing.
I wasn’t a massive fan of the revolving pre-boss areas either, so I’d love to see more traditional style dungeons/bosses.
I reckon the structure will probably mirror BOTW in all honesty though.

Surfheart

if you like BOTW why you not hyped for this one? is it because it's more fo the same with new stuff added?

I haven’t seen enough to say it’s more of the same, I think it’s the new mechanics, I actively disliked Banjo Kazooie Nuts N bolts and the fuse mechanic reminds me a lot of that. I’m still hopeful though!

Hestar69

I need to see a Guarantee of as much new land to explore as I got in the first game.
Exploration was the best part of BoTW to me, exploring the same hills a second time is not enough.

I haven’t seen enough to say it’s more of the same, I think it’s the new mechanics, I actively disliked Banjo Kazooie Nuts N bolts and the fuse mechanic reminds me a lot of that. I’m still hopeful though!
Yeah I'm hoping there's alot more content to explore and the sky stuff just isn't all the new lands to explore

I wasn't a fan of nuts and bolts either (wth was rare thinking with that game). For some reason from what I've seen I don't mind it in tears. I just wish weapon breaking and the stamina bar would go away.

Here's hopeing we get new content and alotttt of dungeons to explore.

Zephyrus0

Banned
There is nothing in this world that somebody somewhere won't take a shit on.

And the more something is a success the more virulent the shits. This is modern living.

You're free to like or dislike what you like. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who would agree with you.

But to write off a new game before you know fully what it offers and how it plays seems rather spiteful bordering on self loathing.

Did BOTW destroy the relationship with the love of your life? Has it made you question your life choices?

What a weird comparison. Mate you all right?
I don't need to play the game to see that none of the changes I wanted happened.
I already didn't like botw and all the reasons that made me not like it are still present in totk.

Not liking a zelda game means I hate myself... ok 🥴

Lethal01

Again, the gameplay video includes coordinates and the map which lets us confirm the size and position of everything we've seen.
it looks like this with a bit of estimation on the snow area and some other areas that they didn't go to during the video.

image.png

The Plateau is what I've drawn around in red.
I think you are just having trouble judging the scale of what you are seeing since there is nothing else around.

That's not meant to be an insult, I did too. What I'm worried is that areas like this are the exception rather than the rule, you say the plateau is huge, but it's really only 1% of the map, we need 100 more islands this size to double the map size.

lv4rlfacogra1.png
image.png
image.png

Last edited:

Aldric

Another thing I've been thinking about, this infamous contraption here:

Ln7pJhd.jpg

I get why you'd want to build flying machines since it's a way to reach sky islands but I never understood why anyone would want to craft a car. You already have horses if you want to go faster and of course the quickest mean of traversal is still the climb/glide loop that allows you to cross large distances very easily. You can even add shield surfing to the list.

It doesn't stop here though, another detail I found very strange is the fact it has headlights. Why the hell would you put headlights on this thing? They've shown Link ride Epona during the night without needing a source of light in the latest trailer, it's the same as in BotW, you can see perfectly well at night, there's no need for a source of light to see where you're going. So it led me to this conclusion: this thing might be used for underground traversal. There's probably no way you could bring your horse underground. Climbing and gliding is likely far less efficient in more claustrophobic places like tunnels or caves with slippery walls. Shield surfing would be useless without slopes or on surfaces like rock. So a car would be a good way to quickly move around and headlights would be justified in dimly lit or even pitch black environments. Thoughts?

Marvel14

Banned
What a weird comparison. Mate you all right?
I don't need to play the game to see that none of the changes I wanted happened.
I already didn't like botw and all the reasons that made me not like it are still present in totk.

Not liking a zelda game means I hate myself... ok 🥴
The point is we don't know all the changes yet Jethro nor whether the changes already announced might address your problems with the game in ways we havent realised yet...so you writing it off is premature ....but you do you...don't mind me.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

Ln7pJhd.jpg

I get why you'd want to build flying machines since it's a way to reach sky islands but I never understood why anyone would want to craft a car. You already have horses if you want to go faster and of course the quickest mean of traversal is still the climb/glide loop that allows you to cross large distances very easily. You can even add shield surfing to the list.

It doesn't stop here though, another detail I found very strange is the fact it has headlights. Why the hell would you put headlights on this thing? They've shown Link ride Epona during the night without needing a source of light in the latest trailer, it's the same as in BotW, you can see perfectly well at night, there's no need for a source of light to see where you're going. So it led me to this conclusion: this thing might be used for underground traversal. There's probably no way you could bring your horse underground. Climbing and gliding is likely far less efficient in more claustrophobic places like tunnels or caves with slippery walls. Shield surfing would be useless without slopes or on surfaces like rock. So a car would be a good way to quickly move around and headlights would be justified in dimly lit or even pitch black environments. Thoughts?
rULb6DP.png

Lethal01

Ln7pJhd.jpg

As much as I love riding Epona through hyrule, Horses kinda suck in this game. they require a ton of finagling to get up even slightly steep slopes and there are tons of times you gotta leave em behind or take a HUGE Detour. If you could build a car it might be able to handle these situations far better, also if it does get stuck on anything you can actually use the Ultra hand to just lift the whole thing up and move it effortlessly.

People keep on think of Ultra hand as just a tool for making vehicles, which I suppose is fair since it's all they've shown it for but really I see it more as a SUPER upgraded magnesis ability.

Woopah

Ln7pJhd.jpg

I think you're onto something here. I do reckon we'll see underground gameplay before the game comes out .

Zephyrus0

Banned
The point is we don't know all the changes yet Jethro nor whether the changes already announced might address your problems with the game in ways we havent realised yet...so you writing it off is premature ....but you do you...don't mind me.
No the point is that you have issues causing you to insult others because they don't like the piece of media you enjoy.

Go get that checked or go interact with people in the real world to learn how to talk to them

Marvel14

Banned
No the point is that you have issues causing you to insult others because they don't like the piece of media you enjoy.

Go get that checked or go interact with people in the real world to learn how to talk to them
At what point did I insult you? Must have missed that.

Zephyrus0

Banned

At what point did I insult you? Must have missed that.
Not even assuming blame.

Clearer now or did the computer that acted as your parental figure not teach you better?

Lunarorbit

Yeah I'm cool with not picking this up anytime soon. Really enjoyed botw but I'm not giving Nintendo full price for games anymore.

I'll wait till I go back east and borrow from the library. Unless there's a new reveal with dungeons and more variety I'm happy to wait

jorgejjvr

Yeah I'm cool with not picking this up anytime soon. Really enjoyed botw but I'm not giving Nintendo full price for games anymore.

I'll wait till I go back east and borrow from the library. Unless there's a new reveal with dungeons and more variety I'm happy to wait
Good look waiting 7 years for a 10% discount

Zephyrus0

Banned
I'm insulting people without even recognising it or realising it.

Jim Carrey Omg GIF

I had better go see a shrink...
Probably better. Might help you not get decked in the teeth in the real world. Though to be fair, there's nothing better than that to teach people to learn how to behave around others.

Just got back from a Youtube video talking about MLB's new rule changes. About 1/2 of the posts in the comment section was about baseball being a boring and shit sport that's dying. Also has lots of posts arguing with people that likes baseball from the shit posters.

My point? If you don't like a product move on. Never understood the people that don't like a product that wants to engage in arguing and shitposting with people that likes a product. Find something productive to do.

BlackTron

I knew that it would be the same Hyrule, but seeing just how similar the map really is, is kind of a relief. With no changes to superficial aspects like geography, there have to be MASSIVE hidden changes elsewhere. The best thing about BotW WAS the overworld, it was just spread too thin with too much copy/paste stuff in it. If they have rectified that problem it could be outstanding this time. Keep the same "horizontal" Hyrule but blow the lid off it by adding the vertical aspect to underground and in the sky.

BOTW achieved its free-form gameplay but not the reason for doing it; the rewards were samey. I felt little sense of adventure setting out to find another mini dungeon that looks the same or disposable weapon, or the same enemy to fight yet again on this giant map. Zelda needs to reward this kind of freeform open-ended gameplay with experiences like the bottom of the well or the royal family's tomb or a full on dungeon, and you NEVER KNOW what you will find or what is around the corner. That is the spirit of Zelda that should be achieved here and no matter how many fancy physics they add, if it's not serving the context of a Zelda game it will be another lame entry for me and I won't like it.

It was cool how everyone went in different directions in BOTW, found different clothes, met different NPCs. But after a short time I never felt like I would find anything interesting by going off the beaten path, just ticking checkboxes in a different order. I think dungeon gameplay should be used (partially) as a reward for exploration, and shrines didn't cut it because they were all thematically the same, brief and had similar rewards for beating. It turns into exploration for its own sake, a gameplay loop/ask that is missing something from the Zelda formula that I hope is back this time.

BlackTron

Superficial aspects ...

hVnkp9z.gif

Pretty much exactly. It's pretty bold for the map screen of two games to look EXACTLY THE SAME. By superficial I mean it is the most glaring first thing able to be seen from a macro level. It implies that there HAS to be (hopefully) bigger changes of more depth less readily seen to be judged.

Top Bottom