• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Mr. Aonuma Gameplay Demonstration

Bragr

Banned
Pretty much exactly. It's pretty bold for the map screen of two games to look EXACTLY THE SAME. By superficial I mean it is the most glaring first thing able to be seen from a macro level. It implies that there HAS to be (hopefully) bigger changes of more depth less readily seen to be judged.
I wouldn't expect that. The new abilities make traversing the land different. It doesn't matter if it looks the same.

Lethal01

Probably better. Might help you not get decked in the teeth in the real world. Though to be fair, there's nothing better than that to teach people to learn how to behave around others.
But then you don't get to smash peoples face in when they let having their feelings hurt make them get violent.

Pretty much exactly. It's pretty bold for the map screen of two games to look EXACTLY THE SAME. By superficial I mean it is the most glaring first thing able to be seen from a macro level. It implies that there HAS to be (hopefully) bigger changes of more depth less readily seen to be judged.

I wonder what happened to Miyamoto's vision for Zelda.

In 1989, Miyamoto laid out his original design goals for Zelda

"I wanted to create a game world that conveyed the same feeling you get when you are exploring a new city for the first time," said Miyamoto in a recently-translated interview from the '80s.

You know what sucks?

If Nintendo really is hiding HUGE changes to this game like adding dungeons, underwater and underground exploration, a deep story and narrative, big changes to the world of Hyrule and not revealing them, it would be one of the most amazing feelings finding all that out on your own as you play and I would love that.

BUT I WANT TO BE HYPED AND MOTIVATED FOR A ZELDA GAME I’M ABOUT TO PLAY. I miss that.

It will be really hard for me not to read the reviews and peoples impressions to find out if they did all that so I can ACTUALLY get hyped for this game.

I would want to know if its just more BOTW or there is more to it.

I think all I need someone to say is either “If you are a fan of the previous Zelda games but not as much of a fan of BOTW, just play TOTK and marvel at the return of the king” or “Nintendo wasn’t really hiding anything substantial, what you see is pretty much what you get but it’s very fun”.

If Nintendo would’ve specifically said something like “if you are a fan of the previous entries to the Legend Of Zelda franchise, we have alot of exciting suprises in store for you when you experience The Legend Of Zelda Tears Of The Kingdom, but you will have to play it for yourself to find out”. effective and no spoilers

DO YOU KNOW HOW HYPE THAT WOULD BE??

Last edited:

Lethal01

Sure. If the first one wasn't enough go ask for seconds.
They can't give seconds if they don't get up.
Sorry the whole "you need to get a dose of reality where harsh words ends in violence" just gets me tired. People who try to make that true are pretty universally seen as morons and are usually the ones who end up getting their skulls caved in.

Anyway, Zelda, sad it's not for you but very happy it's for me. I've even got notes on a fusion system for my own game that I wanted to work the same way.

Last edited:

Fake

It’s probably already made money with pre orders and vouchers.

There is a reason they revealed the price right along with the voucher system…

The point is doesn't matter about the 'eat the crow' argument. Was the same with Pokemon game, but now they're using the sales of the game instead of the state of the game.

Highly difficult for them to mess up with a franchise of that calibre like Zelda btw.

daveonezero

Banned
The point is doesn't matter about the 'eat the crow' argument. Was the same with Pokemon game, but now they're using the sales of the game instead of the state of the game.

Highly difficult for them to mess up with a franchise of that calibre like Zelda btw.
Who knows what content we haven’t seen but one things for me is I hope Master mode is available Day 1. If not I’ll be on media black out and waiting till it is.

I loved discovering things in BoTW and even though I played a year after release I pretty much avoided everything until I had a 100 hours or so into the game.

I need to play this game with no HUD, cooking, survival and crafting to the max

Marvel14

Banned
Probably better. Might help you not get decked in the teeth in the real world. Though to be fair, there's nothing better than that to teach people to learn how to behave around others.
Look I'm sorry if making light hearted fun of your hate of a game we don't know much about, annoyed you. Probably should have put more context in to not sound so smug.

But if you really think resorting to violence is the way to teach people anything then hating a Zelda game none of us know is the least of your problems. You should probably get yourself some real professional help. No joke.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Just thought of something...

The Fuse mechanic is going to make boss fights much more enjoyable in TotK. In BotW, if you don't bring enough weapons to the fight, you basically can't win. With Fuse, they can have pieces break off the boss, and objects scattered about the arena for you to turn into weapons.

Fuse and Ascend also strengthens the idea that there might be dungeons in the game. Imagine that dungeons are about descending deeper into the ground. You would use Ascend to Escape the dungeon quickly. Fuse also means that you won't run out of weapons in a long dungeon.

daveonezero

Banned
The Fuse mechanic is going to make boss fights much more enjoyable in TotK. In BotW, if you don't bring enough weapons to the fight, you basically can't win. With Fuse, they can have pieces break off the boss, and objects scattered about the arena for you to turn into weapons.

Fuse and Ascend also strengthens the idea that there might be dungeons in the game. Imagine that dungeons are about descending deeper into the ground. You would use Ascend to Escape the dungeon quickly. Fuse also means that you won't run out of weapons in a long dungeon.
These aren't problems for the old system. Those could have been done in the old game. And I never rant out of weapons during a boss fight. And If I did I'd probably just leave the Divine Beast and go collect a few more.

It does change combat a bit though. As far as getting more resources.
I hope your right because Mario Galaxy 2 is the best Mario Game.. but I have my doubts, if there are no Dungeon's it cant be the best Zelda game by opinion..
It is by far my Favorite. And I pretty much started with OoT. Played bits and pieces of WW, TP and bout 10 minutes of SS. Meanwhile Ive got a few 100 hours in BoTW.

I hope your right because Mario Galaxy 2 is the best Mario Game.. but I have my doubts, if there are no Dungeon's it cant be the best Zelda game by default..
I don't need it to be the best Zelda game ever. I just need it to be a more refined version of BoTW, like how Galaxy 2 was a more refined version of Galaxy. I can tell from this preview that they're trying to make the simple act of exploration way less frustrating, more fast, and more fun, which in turn means that they have something more challenging in store for the player. That means they might end up pushing each mechanic to it's limits, the way Nintendo tends to do for direct AAA sequels.

The thought of a main Nintendo team building upon an already established, great groundwork, is always exciting.

Jinzo Prime

And If I did I'd probably just leave the Divine Beast and go collect a few more.
That's exactly the problem they are trying to solve. Running out of weapons was something the devs had to consider when designing Devine Beasts and Shrines. They had to be short enough to let players leave and come back to, in case they ran out of weapons or got stuck. Now with these new abilities, they can be more sure that the player won't get stuck or frustrated.

...they're trying to make the simple act of exploration way less frustrating, more fast, and more fun, which in turn means that they have something more challenging in store for the player.

Exactly what I believe. Longer form challenges.

MagnesD3

These aren't problems for the old system. Those could have been done in the old game. And I never rant out of weapons during a boss fight. And If I did I'd probably just leave the Divine Beast and go collect a few more.

It does change combat a bit though. As far as getting more resources.

It is by far my Favorite. And I pretty much started with OoT. Played bits and pieces of WW, TP and bout 10 minutes of SS. Meanwhile Ive got a few 100 hours in BoTW.
TP and OoT still slap the shit out of BoTW, the only thing that is incredible about that game is its Exploration/Open World but at the time it was the best Open World (now its Elden Ring) so that counts for a lot so I could see an argument with WW (triforce pieces/not finished, Open World lunch eaten) and SS (since it has padding/repetition/motion control issues). But yeah besides the Open World it lacked in so much else that makes a Zelda game amazing... (most importantly Dungeon's).

Based on that history with Zelda it sounds like you probably just aren't a big fan of the series if Im being real, you probably just enjoy Sandbox game's more like most people in the mainstream gaming audience.

I don't need it to be the best Zelda game ever. I just need it to be a more refined version of BoTW, like how Galaxy 2 was a more refined version of Galaxy. I can tell from this preview that they're trying to make the simple act of exploration way less frustrating, more fast, and more fun, which in turn means that they have something more challenging in store for the player. That means they might end up pushing each mechanic to it's limits, the way Nintendo tends to do for direct AAA sequels.

The thought of a main Nintendo team building upon an already established, great groundwork, is always exciting.
Well I can accept it not being the best but it does need Dungeon's (dont think they are there though) and if its going to be a better BOTW it has to have amazing Exploration because that was BOTW's greatest strength and so far we have been shown a world we mostly know besides the sky islands.. That Underground world (if it exists) better be big and interesting..

Last edited:
TP and OoT still slap the shit out of BoTW, the only thing that is incredible about that game is its Exploration/Open World but at the time it was the best Open World (now its Elden Ring) so that counts for a lot so I could see an argument with WW (triforce pieces/not finished, Open World lunch eaten) and SS (since it has padding/repetition/motion control issues). But yeah besides the Open World it lacked in so much else that makes a Zelda game amazing... (most importantly Dungeon's)
In another world, Skyward Sword would have simply been a leaked alpha on Unseen64's website for Breath of the Wild. I always felt that Breath of the Wild was always the intended vision, but the hardware wasn't where it needed to be. So Skyward Sword, to me, was sort of this prototype that was a mixture of N64/GC gen Zelda design and a few BoTW Zelda ideas, frankensteined together to maximize the wiimote experience.

Well I can accept it not being the best but it does need Dungeon's (dont think they are there though) and if its going to be a better BOTW it has to have amazing Exploration because that was BOTW's greatest strength and so far we have been shown a world we mostly know besides the sky islands.. That Underground world (if it exists) better be big and interesting..
That's fair to want. I guess I'm a simple guy in that way. Sometimes I'm alright with a sequel that just does everything better than the first game, like a Doom Eternal, God of War 2, Gears of War 2, Kingdom Hearts 2, etc. because then it means that the dev team was solely focused on making the best version of that experience. Whereas when they try to evolve the entire I.P. into something else, it ends up as more of a coinflip situation, like Lost Planet 2, Arkham City, Mario Sunshine, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, etc.

In the latter for example, I just wanted Mirror's Edge Catalyst to be Mirror's Edge 1 on steroids, including stellar level design and parkour challenges. They decided to be too ambitious instead with a badly designed open world, and the game ended up way worse for it. On the other hand, I was worried about Arkham City not being another Metroidvania like Arkham Asylum because Asylum was so good, but Arkham City ended up being an amazing game.

In ToTK, I'm perfectly fine with them doing the former. Let the next team worry about the latter.

MagnesD3

In another world, Skyward Sword would have simply been a leaked alpha on Unseen64's website for Breath of the Wild. I always felt that Breath of the Wild was always the intended vision, but the hardware wasn't where it needed to be. So Skyward Sword, to me, was sort of this prototype that was a mixture of N64/GC gen Zelda design and a few BoTW Zelda ideas, frankensteined together to maximize the wiimote experience.

That's fair to want. I guess I'm a simple guy in that way. Sometimes I'm alright with a sequel that just does everything better than the first game, like a Doom Eternal, God of War 2, Gears of War 2, Kingdom Hearts 2, etc. because then it means that the dev team was solely focused on making the best version of that experience. Whereas when they try to evolve the entire I.P. into something else, it ends up as more of a coinflip situation, like Lost Planet 2, Arkham City, Mario Sunshine, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, etc.

In the latter for example, I just wanted Mirror's Edge Catalyst to be Mirror's Edge 1 on steroids, including stellar level design and parkour challenges. They decided to be too ambitious instead with a badly designed open world, and the game ended up way worse for it. On the other hand, I was worried about Arkham City not being another Metroidvania like Arkham Asylum because Asylum was so good, but Arkham City ended up being an amazing game.

In ToTK, I'm perfectly fine with them doing the former. Let the next team worry about the latter.
Frankensteining Skyward Sword and BOTW would be sick, I would take Skyward's Story, Bosses, Upgrade Crafting, Dungeons, Not Breakable weapons' and mix them with BOTW's Open World with its Shrines/Champion's, that would be Great.

To me it depends on the game genre and how good it's core was/what problem's was it having. Technically Galaxy 1 for example didn't have any big flaws (even though its not one of my favorites) so when Galaxy 2 doubled down on the best part's of it with a ton of creativity it was the best Mario ever. However if a game had big problems that persisted in the first game that still persist in a game that's mostly the same besides a few bells and whistle's (maybe some things are better and some things worse even) these criticism's are less easy to forgive. (Some example's imo are GOW Ragnarok, Metroid Prime Sequels, Pokemon games to name a couple).

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
You know what sucks?

If Nintendo really is hiding HUGE changes to this game like adding dungeons, underwater and underground exploration, a deep story and narrative, big changes to the world of Hyrule and not revealing them, it would be one of the most amazing feelings finding all that out on your own as you play and I would love that.

BUT I WANT TO BE HYPED AND MOTIVATED FOR A ZELDA GAME I’M ABOUT TO PLAY. I miss that.

It will be really hard for me not to read the reviews and peoples impressions to find out if they did all that so I can ACTUALLY get hyped for this game.

I would want to know if its just more BOTW or there is more to it.

I think all I need someone to say is either “If you are a fan of the previous Zelda games but not as much of a fan of BOTW, just play TOTK and marvel at the return of the king” or “Nintendo wasn’t really hiding anything substantial, what you see is pretty much what you get but it’s very fun”.

If Nintendo would’ve specifically said something like “if you are a fan of the previous entries to the Legend Of Zelda franchise, we have alot of exciting suprises in store for you when you experience The Legend Of Zelda Tears Of The Kingdom, but you will have to play it for yourself to find out”. effective and no spoilers

DO YOU KNOW HOW HYPE THAT WOULD BE??

If I happen to see a Blue Chuchu or a Silver-Gold Keese and is more stronger.

I'm going to give Nintendo a slap.

mario-slap.gif

ADiTAR

Banned
Based on that history with Zelda it sounds like you probably just aren't a big fan of the series if Im being real, you probably just enjoy Sandbox game's more like most people in the mainstream gaming audience.
The shrines replaced dungeons for the Zelda puzzle itch, and making them all over the map served for exploration. As a Zelda fan, to me that was good enough. I recently played OoT and while I think the dungeons are nice and I love the game overall, they are kinda obtuse.

Aldric

If Nintendo really is hiding HUGE changes to this game like adding dungeons, underwater and underground exploration
I mean they haven't hidden underground exploration, it's literally the first thing we saw of the game back in 2019 and it's been shown directly or strongly hinted at in every new piece of footage they've released since then.

TP and OoT still slap the shit out of BoTW, the only thing that is incredible about that game is its Exploration/Open World but at the time it was the best Open World (now its Elden Ring) so that counts for a lot so I could see an argument with WW (triforce pieces/not finished, Open World lunch eaten) and SS (since it has padding/repetition/motion control issues). But yeah besides the Open World it lacked in so much else that makes a Zelda game amazing... (most importantly Dungeon's).

Nintendo would have to be out of their collective minds not to include classic dungeons in TotK. It would take an already great open world game and turn it into something special. Not to mention they can't be deaf to all the people who've been wishing for them to return.

Alas, Nintendo most likely didn't listen to us and is as stubborn and arrogant as I feared, because I don't see any evidence of dungeons whatsoever in this game.

Many on here will have a crow at launch in 40 days. Prepare.

I hope you're right but at least be honest, as of now there is no evidence that these things that would make us happy are in the game. You have to go on what Nintendo has actually shown and not some blind faith. Games had what? Two or three trailers and a 10 minute demo.

Aldric

Alas, Nintendo most likely didn't listen to us and is as stubborn and arrogant as I feared, because I don't see any evidence of dungeons whatsoever in this game.
Yeah Nintendo those assholes, how dare they ignore the brilliant insights from noted internet videogame experts such as "Ubisoft towers lol!", "no music", "if it was called Belda no one would care" or everyone's favorite "it shoudl be more like Drak Slouls!!!"

But thankfully I'm sure they've listened, I can picture Aonuma in a team reunion being like "hey Fujibayashi-kun, I just got done browsing Neogaf and /v/ for a few hours, remind the team to put music in the game and bring back the glitched iframe roll from OoT in our disguised DLC".

Zephyrus0

Banned
They can't give seconds if they don't get up.
Sorry the whole "you need to get a dose of reality where harsh words ends in violence" just gets me tired. People who try to make that true are pretty universally seen as morons and are usually the ones who end up getting their skulls caved in.

Anyway, Zelda, sad it's not for you but very happy it's for me. I've even got notes on a fusion system for my own game that I wanted to work the same way.
Well that's because you don't know where to hit. One hit is more than enough to teach an idiot with an attitude.
And I am an apologist for it because I can't stand uneducated, self entitled, disrespectful losers.
Which is by far the majority of the narcissistic population we have today.
Politeness doesn’t get you anywhere. All it does is make you a dormmat in their eyes.
I know it from experience.
But you do you and show your big brain by defending the person insulting the other one and still being antagonistic.

Last edited:

Zephyrus0

Banned
Look I'm sorry if making light hearted fun of your hate of a game we don't know much about, annoyed you. Probably should have put more context in to not sound so smug.

But if you really think resorting to violence is the way to teach people anything then hating a Zelda game none of us know is the least of your problems. You should probably get yourself some real professional help. No joke.
I'm not threatening you mate. That's a dumb thing to do over a comment someone in the other side of the world on an online forum made.

I'm advising you to change the way you speak because it might get you hurt in the real world.

Instead of some self reflection, you turn it on the other person for giving you an advice.
American I presume?

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I'm seeing a lot of cope in this post

Lethal01

Well that's because you don't know where to hit. One hit is more than enough to teach an idiot with an attitude.

Exactly, people start a fight cause someone called them a mean name and then get surprised when they leave with body parts that never work the same way again and . Maybe things are different in America but here your expected to be better than that once you are past 5.

It's about as good advice as telling someone to homeschool their kids so they can't get bullied in class.

I hope you're right but at least be honest, as of now there is no evidence that these things that would make us happy are in the game. You have to go on what Nintendo has actually shown and not some blind faith. Games had what? Two or three trailers and a 10 minute demo.

I dunno I feel like the trailer are clearly saying "We have old Hyrule + a whole new map in the sky" seems fine to me.

Zephyrus0

Banned
Exactly, people start a fight cause someone called them a mean name and then get surprised when they leave with body parts that never work the same way again and . Maybe things are different in America but here your expected to be better than that once you are past 5.

It's about as good advice as telling someone to homeschool their kids so they can't get bullied in class.

I dunno I feel like the trailer are clearly saying "We have old Hyrule + a whole new map in the sky" seems fine to me.
I'm not american. I'm portuguese and I've always lived in portugal. Different mentality over here. Also no guns

MagnesD3

Nintendo would have to be out of their collective minds not to include classic dungeons in TotK. It would take an already great open world game and turn it into something special. Not to mention they can't be deaf to all the people who've been wishing for them to return.

Well unfortunately I dont think enough people complained when it came out. When BOTW dropped there was an insane amount of hyperbole saying it was the best game ever made and only a very small amount of people were being adamant about it's problems. It appealed to the mainstream gaming audience (Nintendo smells dat cash) and too many of the Zelda fans (who's job it is to complain) were having too much fun with the new Open World style to speak up at the time. It also doesnt help that Nintendo has some of the dumbest fan brand loyalty Ive ever seen via Disney levels for the game industry. Now Nintendo luckily usually has Pride for how good Mario/Zelda are and will hear complaints but its only in recent years that some of the people that loved BOTW are starting to see the cracks and talk about them but it's too late for those complaints to matter for this game at least. I have a feeling there will be a lot more negative discourse online with this one at least in comparison to the original (hopefully if its deserved) but hopefully the game will magically pull a Galaxy 2 instead (weapon breaking is still here so yeah..).

Last edited:

ADiTAR

Banned
Except Mario Galaxy 2 had basically no story.

If anything TOTK seems poised to have way more story than BOTW. Nintendo is obviously choosing not to show it off yet.
Well, kinda seems like the story would be Zelda is going to try and find something to help rebuild and defend Hyrule, and in the process stumbles on Ganon's corpse. Now it's up to Link to save the kingdom.

GymWolf

It will be, since enemies will now drop fuse items.
Picking what the enemies left on the ground is not the same as fusing weapons in the heat of the battle.

I think fuse is gonna be more like batman prep before the battle, not during it.

Gambit2483

Well, kinda seems like the story would be Zelda is going to try and find something to help rebuild and defend Hyrule, and in the process stumbles on Ganon's corpse. Now it's up to Link to save the kingdom.

Maybe but there's still so many questions unanswered

Why does Link have long hair sometimes?
What happened to Zelda?
Why do the Sky Islands now exist?
Why did Ganon come back?
What happened to the master sword?
Why are the Zonai, a group that was barely mention in BOTW, the main focus now?
Etc etc.

There's still so much we just have no idea about in this game story wise. It's already more interesting and intriguing than BOTW imo.

bender

What time is it?
Why does Link have long hair sometimes? A wizard did it.
What happened to Zelda? She's dead.
Why do the Sky Islands now exist? Wizard again.
Why did Ganon come back? Still Wizards.
What happened to the master sword? What do you think happened to it?
Why are the Zonai, a group that was barely mention in BOTW, the main focus now? Wizards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom