• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom has sold over 10 million copies worldwide in less than 3 days

back to the future great scott GIF

Chastten

Banned
Obviously this game is incredibly frontloaded, but that's still at least 2 weeks faster than I had expected it to reach that number.

Started it 2 days ago and so far really liking it, so for now I'd say it's deserved. :)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
That's bananas.

Not surprising really though with how good BOTW was and the Switch now having shifted more consoles than any Playstation console except the PS2 and it's 30 million away from beating PS2 with no idea of when the next Nintendo console will come.

Hopefullly nintendo can invest those fat stacks into some decent hardware, I want to play this badboy
This just goes to show you don't need pretty graphics or amazing performance. If the game is actually fun to play then people will play it regardless of graphics/framerate/resolution.

Nintendo are always going to go for the cheapest and weakest hardware so don't get your hopes up.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

Bonkers! And about 50% sales were digital i think.
Just out of curiosity I wonder how much time would it take to manufacture so many game cards.

Biggest launch weeks on Switch from InstallBase

1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 10.000.000 units
    Pokémon Scarlet/Violet
    - 10.000.000 units
  2. Pokémon Legends: Arceus - 6.500.000 units
  3. Pokémon BD/SP - 6.000.000 units
  4. Pokémon Sword/Shield - 6.000.000 units
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 5.000.000 units
  6. Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee - 3.000.000 units
  7. Super Mario Odyssey - 2.000.000 units
For the ones that didn't get data, we estimate Animal Crossing to be a little above Arceus, and Splatoon 3 probably around Smash Ultimate

Last edited:

LordCBH

?? I wouldn't assume that. Nintendo whole thing is consistently refreshing their IP's. In my estimation, there is a very low chance of the next Zelda being anything like the Breath of The Kingdom games.

I really hope you’re right. I adore BOTW/TOTK, but I hope we get a new game in the style of the older 3D ones at some point. I love those so damn much.

PR just came out.

- over 10 million units sold worldwide between May 12th and May 15th
- over 4 million units in the America's
- 2.24 million units sold in Japan
- 3.76 million units sold in Europe and Other
- fastest-selling Nintendo Switch game in the Americas
- fastest-selling Nintendo game of all time (all platforms) in the Americas
- fatest-selling game in the series (worldwide)
- Zelda series at over 130 million units sold worldwide (as of March 2023), so over 140 million units sold as of May 15th.
Numbers are retail + digital.

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TEARS OF THE KINGDOM

SELLS OVER 10 MILLION WORLDWIDE IN FIRST THREE DAYS, BECOMING THE FASTEST-SELLING GAME IN SERIES​

It Is Also the Fastest-Selling Nintendo Game Ever in the Americas

In the three days since its launch on May 12, the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom game for the Nintendo Switch system sold over 10 million units worldwide, becoming the fastest-selling game in the history of the Legend of Zelda series. With over 4 million sold in the Americas, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is also the fastest-selling Nintendo Switch game and the fastest-selling Nintendo game for any system in that territory.

“Many players are returning to Hyrule with all its new mysteries and possibilities, and with the record-breaking launch of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom for Nintendo Switch, we can’t wait to see what they’ll create in the game and the stories they’ll share next,” said Devon Pritchard, Nintendo of America’s Executive Vice President of Sales, Marketing and Communications. “We’re grateful for all of our fans who’ve shown their passion for The Legend of Zelda over the years, and these sales numbers for the latest installment continue to show the strong momentum for both the franchise and Nintendo Switch this year.”

In The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, which is a direct sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, players decide their own path through the sprawling landscapes of Hyrule and on the mysterious islands floating in the vast skies above. Discover new destinations, dangers, sights and puzzles that require wits and resourcefulness to overcome. Harnessing the power of Link’s new abilities, players will fight back against the malevolent forces that threaten the kingdom.

The Legend of Zelda action-adventure series started over 35 years ago with the Legend of Zelda game, which debuted in the U.S. in 1987 for the Nintendo Entertainment System. As the heroic Link, players go on an adventure battling foes and discovering hidden mysteries in vast fields and dungeons. As of March 2023, the series has sold more than 130 million units worldwide.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Ive got one, but it looks like shit on 65" qoled and i dont like playing in handheld, so I'm holding out in the hope they release a new console soon.
If by soon you mean late 2024 or early 2025 then sure.

The Switch is designed for 720-1080p so yeah it's going to look shit on your 65" QLED lol.

Nintendo doesn't chase resolution or framerate. The WiiU could do 1080p but the Switch needs to do handheld which means it only runs games at around standard HD. The 3DS had a 800x240 screen.

There is no way Nintendo is giving up on the hybrid model so you can still expect any future consoles to accommodate running on battery so at best I'd say the next gen console will target 1080p in handheld. They might go for 1440-1800p and upscale to 4K when in docked/TV mode.

BlackTron

Brilliant game. But I am sad because I know nintendo will never make an old style zelda game again….

I think Nintendo's own developers will suffer from burnout and desire variety as much as gamers will. I don't think open-world Zelda is over, but I expect some variety like Mario. BOTW/TOTK feels like Galaxy 1/2 to me. Groundbreaking, but you don't know what they will do next. They even eventually spun back to the 64 formula. I think this is the only open-world Zelda we need for a LONG time, so they might hit us with some more focused Zelda gameplay in the interim (with time, this game deserves a lot of space). They will want TOTK DX on Switch 2, but they will need another exclusive game on it as well to draw in all the Zelda fans who already played TOTK on Switch, and it ISNT going to be another massive open-world game so fast, we just got it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
PR just came out.

- over 10 million units sold worldwide between May 12th and May 15th
- over 4 million units in the Americas
- 2.24 million units sold in Japan
- 3.46 million units in Europe and Other
- fastest-selling Nintendo Switch game in the Americas
- fastest-selling Nintendo game of all time (all platforms) in the Americas
- fatest-selling game in the series (worldwide)
- Zelda series at over 130 million units sold worldwide (as of March 2023), so over 140 million units sold as of May 15th.
Numbers are retail + digital.
So BOTW/TOTK (2017-2023) account for almost 30% of all Zelda games ever sold?

:messenger_open_mouth:

Anyone hoping for a "traditional zelda" can forget about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom