• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom has sold over 10 million copies worldwide in less than 3 days

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I couldn't get around my head when people said Spiderman, Starfield or Hogwarts Legacy would be bigger than Zelda. Never made sense to me.

Maybe they are too used to ignore Nintendo (somehow) and this is the first time they pay attention closely.

I said earlier: A Zelda release is kinda Fifa world cup or Olympic games type of event for gaming industry, not even Mario has that privilege.

No other game has that privilege actually... Zelda is just legendary.
Um, only after BOTW it reached these mainline Mario-like sales, before that it wasn't nearly as big. So your reasoning was completely wrong even if the final result aligns for once 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I said earlier: A Zelda release is kinda Fifa world cup or Olympic games type of event for gaming industry, not even Mario has that privilege.

To be fair BotW was a huge outlier for the series in terms of sales success. The best selling game before it was Twilight Princess at ~8M (on GC/Wii/WiiU combined).

Nintendo has really struck gold with this reboot.

Musashipan

That's insane!
I did my part.
2Ix5SyM.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
Um, only after BOTW it reached these mainline Mario-like sales, before that it wasn't nearly as big. So your reasoning was completely wrong even if the final result aligns for once 🤷‍♂️
To be fair BotW was a huge outlier for the series in terms of sales success. The best selling game before it was Twilight Princess at ~8M (on GC/Wii/WiiU combined).

Nintendo has really struck gold with this reboot.

Mario always sold more than Zelda, but in terms of perceived hype, Zelda has always been way above Mario, I remember some people saying something like "Mario sells games and Zelda sells consoles".

Makes sense to me since Zelda has always been more aimed at core players, it helped create that gaming niche.

Last edited:

small_law

I'd really love to hear the story behind the development of this game.

This game had to be a decade-long project. I think what Tears of the Kingdom is now was always the design goal. It isn't a sequel to BotW so much as the chunk of TotK Nintendo built first and sold as a standalone game for the Switch launch.

The game is a masterpiece. I mean like the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

I'm no Nintendo fanboy, but it's great seeing them flex nuts on bad studios, especially the ones packed with devs who would rather code Instagram filters than make games.

Last edited:
?? I wouldn't assume that. Nintendo whole thing is consistently refreshing their IP's. In my estimation, there is a very low chance of the next Zelda being anything like the Breath of The Kingd

"Speaking with Game Informer, series producer Eiji Aonuma confirms that Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom's style will be the blueprint for future Zelda games."

MarkMe2525

"Speaking with Game Informer, series producer Eiji Aonuma confirms that Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom's style will be the blueprint for future Zelda games."

I have to say, after reading the article I still stand by what I said. Nintendo is the king of spin offs, and while the mainline games may continue to go the Breath of the Kingdom route (I hope so), I believe Nintendo will mix it up like they always do. I don't find a noncommittal answer such as "I think it will be the format" as evidence that they will treat Zelda differently than 90% of their other properties.

BlackTron

I couldn't get around my head when people said Spiderman, Starfield or Hogwarts Legacy would be bigger than Zelda. Never made sense to me.

Maybe they are too used to ignore Nintendo (somehow) and this is the first time they pay attention closely.

Lived up to the legacy so the hype for the next big one will be stratospheric and deserved. Personally, I think this is the first game that fully lives up as an OOT sequel. Games that were pretty good, but not quite impeccable were slowly diluting it.

Only thing I would change is a better name and ship it on a gold cartridge.

I have to say, after reading the article I still stand by what I said. Nintendo is the king of spin offs, and while the mainline games may continue to go the Breath of the Kingdom route (I hope so), I believe Nintendo will mix it up like they always do. I don't find a noncommittal answer such as "I think it will be the format" as evidence that they will treat Zelda differently than 90% of their other properties.

There's no "may" about it, nintendo themselves are saying it.

MarkMe2525

I don't want to argue, especially over something that we have no way of actually knowing how it will play out. Unlike what the article you linked claims, nothing was actually confirmed. The interviewer only gave us a few quotes from the entire interview, and all we can gleam from this is what the producer currently believes what will happen. The facts are that after the release of OOT and Majora's Mask they changed the formula for spin offs. After BOTW they released a spin off (Links Awakening) with a different formula. So unless you believe that there will be no Zelda related releases between now and the next mainline Zelda in 4-7 years, most likely we are going to see a Zelda release that differs in playstyle from the Breath of the Kingdom games.

Last edited:

small_law

But how is that possible with mobile device tech from 1845 !!?? 😵‍💫
Remember how Android ran like shit on phones during the mid-2010s? Every Android phone back then dropped frames when you opened the app drawer. The APU in the Switch is from that era. Google couldn't get Android to run smoothly on ARM-based APUs circa 2015, but Nintendo out here in 2023 like we good.

Laieon

OOT fomula for a long time.

Not really.

OOT - TP was a period of 9 years (1997 - 2006).

I think Skyward Sword was just as much of a departure as BOTW (it drops any sense of exploration for linearity and puzzle solving with a massive, easily the biggest in the series, focus on dungeons - basically the exact opposite of BOTW), so I count it as being it's own thing. It's the Zelda II of the 3D games.

BOTW - TOTK has been a period of 6 years, so we're not that far off from this formula matching the length of what we got with OOT.

For those of us who preferred the OOT formula, it's been almost two decades since we've gotten a 3D Zelda game in that style with very little alternatives to jump ship to. Nintendo would probably be foolish to step back from the BOTW/TOTK formula now, but man - I miss playing games that gave me the same feeling that 9 year period of Zelda between OOT and TP gave me. I'm not expecting Nintendo to step up to the plate, but I'd love it if somebody did. Hell, even Darksiders 1 and Okami are generations old at this point.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I don't want to argue, especially over something that we have no way of actually knowing how it will play out. Unlike what the article you linked claims, nothing was actually confirmed. The interviewer only gave us a few quotes from the entire interview, and all we can gleam from this is what the producer currently believes what will happen. The facts are that after the release of OOT and Majora's Mask they changed the formula for spin offs. After BOTW they released a spin off (Links Awakening) with a different formula. So unless you believe that there will be no Zelda related releases between now and the next mainline Zelda in 4-7 years, most likely we are going to see a Zelda release that differs in playstyle from the Breath of the Kingdom games.
The only thing im worried about is if they will stick to remasters and Warrior games,it would be cool to play a completely new "2D" Zelda title

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Not really.

I think Skyward Sword was just as much of a departure as BOTW (it drops any sense of exploration for linearity and puzzle solving with a massive, easily the biggest in the series, focus on dungeons - basically the exact opposite of BOTW), so I count it as being it's own thing. It's the Zelda II of the 3D games.

BOTW - TOTK has been a period of 6 years, so we're not that far off from this formula matching the length of what we got with OOT.

For those of us who preferred the OOT formula, it's been almost two decades since we've gotten a 3D Zelda game in that style with very little alternatives to jump ship to. Nintendo would probably be foolish to step back from the BOTW/TOTK formula now, but man - I miss playing games that gave me the same feeling that 9 year period of Zelda between OOT and TP gave me. I'm not expecting Nintendo to step up to the plate, but I'd love it if somebody did. Hell, even Darksiders 1 and Okami are generations old at this point.

The new 2 GOW games are 95% OOT formula. Even down to the No jump.

Not really.

It’s absurd how little competition there has been in the Zelda ”genre” when many developers must have been inspired by those games. Guess it goes to show how difficult it is to get it right.

brian0057

Banned
It’s absurd how little competition there has been in the Zelda ”genre” when many developers must have been inspired by those games. Guess it goes to show how difficult it is to get it right.
Yeah, I don't get either.
The only ones I can think of are Darksiders II, which was a really good traditional Zelda game, Okami, and Tunic.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

One i always go back to is Darksiders 1, if you are a Zelda fan you are going to love that game, its Zelda + God of War.classic dungeons, bosses on an interesting world

unfortunately the developer got the memo their game was a Zelda clone so the sequels went into a completely,imo worse direction

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
The amount of money flowing into influencer for this game must be insane, not 5 minutes after release TikTok was flooded with game content, much of it more advanced than a few hours of play time.

Kataploom

Gold Member
They actually are that difficult to make, let alone compete with Zelda... But many indies don't give a damn and try it, they don't have to reach Nintendo level of quality and they seem to deliver as is

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s quite hard to get it right but, most of all, every game going for a Zelda-like experience will be compared to Zelda and be found lacking in some respects.
It’s not like other devs didn’t try before the 3D era, and some results were even deemed good enough as to be “the Zelda alternative if you don’t have a Nintendo console. P.S. though, it’s not Zelda”.

Pretty much the same reason the platformer genre fell mostly into oblivion. Everyone wanted to make the Mario killer, then every new Mario wiped the floor with even the most solid copycats. It’s why Jak & Daxter took a GTA turn as soon as the second episode and Ratchet turned into more of a shooter in the second game too. And soon most devs realized that it was wiser to chase other trends and make other types of games rather than challenging Nintendo at their own game.

There’s something in the Zelda games that’s really in a league of its own. In TOTK, you can really tell pretty much every single tree and rock and pickup on the map is exactly where it is for a reason and not just dropped there because they felt it was as good a place as any other. I remember some Retro Studios dev saying that Nintendo supervised them in making the Metroid Prime games and sometimes they’d suggest to simply move a crate to another point in a room. It’s the kind of detail that other devs just don’t pay that much attention to.

Ozriel

M$FT

Wut?
This only became true with BOTW.

We also had a Switch Pokémon game selling 10 million in 3 days

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
When you realize that TotK's install size is less than 17GB and it's running on a tablet with a ten-year-old mobile processor

I absolutely love how well this clip fits with the fact that Nintendo can do so much with such weak hardware.

People see the Switch as holding Nintendo back. I disagree. I see the rest of the industry, with ample access to some of the most powerful machines in the industry, completely squandering that might. From Software is probably the only one actually doing something different and interesting with such beefy hardware. Everone else is just remaking games that peaked in the 6th and 7th console generations but with shinier graphics and even more bitch work.

This is why the indies are thriving. They're making some of the best games in recent years and doing so with file sizes that barely each reach 10 GB. Masterpieces like Signalis, Tunic, Hades, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, and many more can run on basically any machine, have superb and interesting gameplay, and are so much fun to play.

I wish the rest of the AAA space used the powerful hardware at their disposal like Nintendo does with the anemic Switch. We'd get much better games than what it's currently available and on the horizon (pun definitely intended).

Last edited:

BlackTron

Exactly, Nintendo had no problem releasing LA after BOTW, and there's no rule that interim Zelda titles be ports of remakes. In fact, they said this in the VERY SAME interview that despite the changes, it's a success because it carries the essence of Zelda and that as a result, they could make a variety of different games so long as they preserve that essence. The Gamer only reported on a few comments in the interview with Game Informer, which they linked to. https://www.thegamer.com/the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-new-format-going-forward-sequel/

HF: And really, when we're talking about this, I guess, essence of Zelda, as long as we preserve that, then I think it provides us with the freedom to really build Zelda, and it can become many different things. For example, it could be a puzzle game, an adventure game, or an action game. All of these moments that can be dropped into a game help it become a Zelda-like game as long as that essence is preserved. I think even with Breath of the Wild, there are big changes in the core gameplay mechanics, but that essence was still preserved.

Game Informer also challenged that when they asked if a Skyward Sword port without motion controls could happen, they said "impossible", looking for an explanation. The entire context of the interview shows that they don't ever know exactly how to proceed and are tweaking the way forward constantly. So, I don't know if they will deliver the spitting image of Ocarina of Time tomorrow, but they seem to be leaning towards more variety in the franchise like Mario, not less.

Last edited:
Top Bottom