• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom has sold over 10 million copies worldwide in less than 3 days

Flutta

Banned
That's insane!
I did my part.
2Ix5SyM.jpg
Lol you went all in, sheeez!

How much did all that cost you?

Deserved, game is a blast. Haven’t had this much fun playing game i a long ass time. Nintendo is the only big pub left who knows how to make fun games 👌

BlackTron

Remember how Android ran like shit on phones during the mid-2010s? Every Android phone back then dropped frames when you opened the app drawer. The APU in the Switch is from that era. Google couldn't get Android to run smoothly on ARM-based APUs circa 2015, but Nintendo out here in 2023 like we good.
I really think this game cinches Nintendo as top software master of the world. On every level from design to bare coding to selling it. They kinda already were but at least there was a contest before.

Musashipan

Zelda V
Lol you went all in, sheeez!

How much did all that cost you?

Deserved, game is a blast. Haven’t had this much fun playing game i a long ass time. Nintendo is the only big pub left who knows how to make fun games 👌

Switch Oled Totk: $470
Zelda Collectors Edition: $175
Totk pro controller:$99
Totk case: $34
Totk Amiibo: $22

So $800 CAD + taxes
Roughly $592 USD

Haven't even started playing yet.
I'm doing botw again first.

small_law

I really think this game cinches Nintendo as top software master of the world. On every level from design to bare coding to selling it. They kinda already were but at least there was a contest before.
Agreed. This is a technical masterpiece. That's what's astonishing about it. The level of polish of this game is beyond compare.

Have you encountered any bugs? Has anyone? I haven't encountered single a bug. Zero.

You got so many devs asking for 250 GB installs and 30 series cards just to run their shitty PC ports at sub 60 FPS. It's like I said, this is Nintendo flexing nuts on trash studios that ship broken games.

Flutta

Banned
Zelda V

Switch Oled Totk: $470
Zelda Collectors Edition: $175
Totk pro controller:$99
Totk case: $34
Totk Amiibo: $22

So $800 CAD + taxes
Roughly $592 USD

Haven't even started playing yet.
I'm doing botw again first.

That’s ain’t that bad tbh. Thought it would be more for some reason.

Hmm you’ll prob burn yourself out playing BOTW first then ToTk after.

Both games take alot of time to playthrough.

Musashipan

That’s ain’t that bad tbh. Thought it would be more for some reason.

Hmm you’ll prob burn yourself out playing BOTW first then ToTk after.

Both games take alot of time to playthrough.

I'm a madman, was hoping to do 100% b4 starting totk, but I'm not sure if I can wait lol

10 million is honestly like, no work at all. With zero marketing at all, There were at minimum 10 million BotW fans who are all-in on a direct sequel (myself included).

Hitting 20 million, or heaven forbid the holy grail of 25 mil or 30 mil for a direct sequel, in the late stage of a console lifecycle, on a single platform, that’s the real open question.

It’s possible, but it seems like the game will settle out on Switch around 15-20 mil.

If they re-release it as an upgraded port for new hardware, it’ll absolutely exceed OG BotW sales.

Last edited:
With a $70 cost, does Nintendo keep $40 of every physical sale and $70 of every digital sale?
It’s more complicated than that. They don’t make the full $70 even if they sell it through their own digital storefront.

But their margin is higher for digital goods versus physical goods, yes.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Played some docked with a dualsense controller and it felt a lot better than the regular joycons while portable. (dont have a pro controller)

might grab that 8bitdo ultimate controller since the totk pro controller seems perpetually out of stock.

Woopah

10 million is honestly like, no work at all. With zero marketing at all, There were at minimum 10 million BotW fans who are all-in on a direct sequel (myself included).

Hitting 20 million, or heaven forbid the holy grail of 25 mil or 30 mil for a direct sequel, in the late stage of a console lifecycle, on a single platform, that’s the real open question.

It’s possible, but it seems like the game will settle out on Switch around 15-20 mil.

If they re-release it as an upgraded port for new hardware, it’ll absolutely exceed OG BotW sales.
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet also hit 10 million in days and are now at 22 million. ToTK should follow a similar trend (though its holiday boost will come later).

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Wow. Not unexpected, but bloody hell, that's impressive.

I just think it's a crying shame all those ToTK sales won't translate into any Switch console sales. So sad.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Game is so viral right now I tinks your in for a surprise hahahahaha

chris-farley-laugh.gif

blacktout

I just think it's a crying shame all those ToTK sales won't translate into any Switch console sales. So sad.

The TotK OLED boosted Switch console sales in both Japan and North America, and that was before the game even released. It's not going to have the massive impact on hardware sales that BotW likely did at launch, but it's definitely selling Switches.

small_law

I finally found something to complain about. They blatantly repeated a side quest without changing anything from BotW. Kind of a minor gripe but you would think they would either take it out or change it a bit.

It's called "the horse god". Bottom left corner of the map. There's a shrine there that you can't access because a guy has a crystal and wants to see a horse before he'll give the crystal to you. You have to find the horse, tame it and bring it back to him.0

I remember that side quest because I screwed it up and had to go back and forth to the guy an extra time. That area of the map is kind of a dead end and not easy to transverse. I also farmed enemies down there.

It's the first instance of that I've seen. I haven't dug up a video from BotW to compare but I'm pretty certain of this.

Last edited:
Just as a reminder, back when BotW first launched, it had 102% attachment rate. As in people were buying BotW before they could get a Switch to play it on!
The attachment rate story
To think there are people who are saying TotK isn't worth 70 dollars... Nintendo know you would pay for quality entertainment, and that is the core of their company. Deliver the games, and the customers will come.

DryvBy

After putting in close to 40 hours now, I'm going to say this game has made BotW feel like a tech demo to this masterpiece. I wasn't even that big on BotW originally but they just masterclassed this game.

brian0057

Banned
I honestly don't get the hate towards the Koroks.
If it's because they're needed to increase the size of your inventory, you stumble upon like 200 of them just by the exploration you're already doing.
They're incredibly easy to find and, unless you wanna get all 900 of them, you don't need to get that many to max out the slots.

BlackTron

I honestly don't get the hate towards the Koroks.
If it's because they're needed to increase the size of your inventory, you stumble upon like 200 of them just by the exploration you're already doing.
They're incredibly easy to find and, unless you wanna get all 900 of them, you don't need to get that many to max out the slots.

Yeah before ever having actually bothered to look for a Korok seed I had enough for 3 weapon slots and one each bow/shield slot. I just didn't know where Hestu was to trade them in.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So BOTW/TOTK (2017-2023) account for almost 30% of all Zelda games ever sold?

:messenger_open_mouth:

Anyone hoping for a "traditional zelda" can forget about it.
Meh, Nintendo always is trying new things with Zelda and releasing stuff like Link’s Awakening Switch on the side. I wouldn’t expect another direct sequel.

What would actually be amazing is a new take on the physics puzzle solving in VR, but that’s never gonna happen.

Gambit2483

Meh, Nintendo always is trying new things with Zelda and releasing stuff like Link’s Awakening Switch on the side. I wouldn’t expect another direct sequel.

What would actually be amazing is a new take on the physics puzzle solving in VR, but that’s never gonna happen.

I think most people would be OK with their "next Zelda" game being more of a spin-off (maybe 2D) or experimental type game. After TOTK they more than deserve it..

Top Bottom