• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

Robb

Gold Member
Tears of the Kingdom is great and all, but I really want a new Zelda reminiscent of the smaller focused words of OoT or MM. It doesn't necessarily have to be that small but less open-worldy.
I think those days are gone for now given the insane spike in popularity the open-world formula has generated for them.

Open-world or not though, I’d love to see more intricate towns that you can get a bit lost in going forward. Like improvements of the bustling castle square from Twilight Princess, a more mysterious town similar to Clock Town from Majoras Mask, etc.

I’m a bit tired of the ‘ruined Hyrule’ from BotW/TotK, would be nice to get a Hyrule that’s actually thriving (at least at the beginning of the game) in the next one imo.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think those days are gone for now given the insane spike in popularity the open-world formula has generated for them.

Open-world or not though, I’d love to see more intricate towns that you can get a bit lost in going forward. Like improvements of the bustling castle square from Twilight Princess, a more mysterious town similar to Clock Town from Majoras Mask, etc.

I’m a bit tired of the ‘ruined Hyrule’ from BotW/TotK, would be nice to get a Hyrule that’s actually thriving (at least at the beginning of the game) in the next one imo.
I think the next game will def be something different. Nintendo doesn't like to rehash the same stuff over and over again, you might get 1 sequel and they move on to something else.

Robb

Gold Member
I think the next game will def be something different. Nintendo doesn't like to rehash the same stuff over and over again, you might get 1 sequel and they move on to something else.
Yeah, I’m expecting a re-set with a new map, artstyle and the works.

I definitely think it’ll use the same formula as BotW/TotK though. Open-world, shrines, breakable weapons, physics-powers etc. Albeit with new twists.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

I definitely think it’ll use the same formula as BotW/TotK though. Open-world, shrines, breakable weapons, physics-powers etc. Albeit with new twists.
I think it will be more different than that. That sounds a little too cookie cutter.

The one thing they will keep based on what the director said is the "open world approach." ...meaning more than 1 way to approach the game. Otherwise....who knows where they go.

BUt I don't think they could really make a new map feel new enough using the same formula given the old map was so big and covered so many different types of terrain. I think it would quickly feel like too much of the same thing.

I think we need a bigger change. LIke Wind Waker 2. EVen that...I mean BotW map was so big it already had some WW type moments.

Robb

Gold Member
I think it will be more different than that. That sounds a little too cookie cutter.
Not sure, I view BotW/TotK as the new equivalent to OOT/MM. They’ve just figured out a new, even more popular, recipe now and will probably use that for a few iterations. Just like they used the OOT/MM formula up until Skyward Sword.

I think you can do enough to make things feel very different despite having all of those same elements in place. Just like with past Zelda games.

Maybe they’ll introduce a WW-like map with a huge ocean, islands, various new elements and physics powers related to sea traversal and water manipulation, deep sea diving, visiting shrines at the ocean floor etc. etc… Or something else entirely.

Time will tell though!

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
my OT I missed you

took 3 points took my prides im sorry my friends

blacksheep-chrisfarley.gif

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Maybe they’ll introduce a WW-like map with a huge ocean, islands, various new elements and physics powers related to sea traversal and water manipulation, deep sea diving, visiting shrines at the ocean floor etc. etc… Or something else entirely.
That was kinda my thought, they'll go into a water based Hyrule because that opens up a lot of gameplay opportunities and the only thing missing from TotK.

I hope they update the formula. I've had it with the Shrines, they are ok but nothing special and also kinda interrupts the game flow too much. They need to somehow embed them into the world like the Kass puzzles.

Robb

Gold Member
I hope they update the formula. I've had it with the Shrines, they are ok but nothing special and also kinda interrupts the game flow too much. They need to somehow embed them into the world like the Kass puzzles.
I agree, I’d love a change like that.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Not sure, I view BotW/TotK as the new equivalent to OOT/MM. They’ve just figured out a new, even more popular, recipe now and will probably use that for a few iterations. Just like they used the OOT/MM formula up until Skyward Sword.

I think you can do enough to make things feel very different despite having all of those same elements in place. Just like with past Zelda games.

Time will tell though!
Yeah i hear you but sounds too cookie cutter. Although it doesn't help that I am playing TotK right now. Doesn't make the thought of playing the same thing with a new map...a few new things... more exciting. ;)

Big ships that could be boarded? Maybe. Maybe co-op could be a new thing for the series? Entering the mouths of massive whales and sea creatures? NOt sure shrines on the ocean floor is exciting. Never was a huge fan of underwater stuff in Mario games. Fine in small doses. They would have to find a way to make that fun to play.

What's different is they have so much in these 2 ZElda games. The linear games were very focused. EAsier to change around from iteration to iteration and make them feel different. EVen then sales never surpassed OoT until BotW.

I think it will be harder to make a new open world game stand out.

Robb

Gold Member
It probably will be. I question how much Nintendo would want it to stand out though.

For better or worse I think they’re going to want people to look at the new one and immediately understand that it offers a similar experience as BotW/TotK, considering how popular they are.

I don’t really mind either way. Tbh I think just a new artsyle in itself will do wonders in making the world feel different.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah i hear you but sounds too cookie cutter. Although it doesn't help that I am playing TotK right now. Doesn't make the thought of playing the same thing with a new map...a few new things... more exciting. ;)

Big ships that could be boarded? Maybe. Maybe co-op could be a new thing for the series? Entering the mouths of massive whales and sea creatures? NOt sure shrines on the ocean floor is exciting. Never was a huge fan of underwater stuff in Mario games. Fine in small doses. They would have to find a way to make that fun to play.

What's different is they have so much in these 2 ZElda games. The linear games were very focused. EAsier to change around from iteration to iteration and make them feel different. EVen then sales never surpassed OoT until BotW.

Think Switch 2, think slightly different time setting and think about much bigger cities and settlements with more people, farms with animals, big workshops, big markets, etc… think about expansions of physics and elemental puzzles now including dynamic lighting (RT lighting and shadows), etc…

Maybe they could add some bigger battles too (more friendly and enemy NPCs involved, etc…) too.

On top of reusing a remastered Hyrule as TotK, as some people have said they could add sea navigation and a few smaller islands (if they were smart they could add more island by paid DLC) and integrate water physics into the simulation and game puzzles too (maybe snow as well). Maybe part of the land could be flooded again but I would rather have additional space filled with sea and new island on top of what we have. Maybe faster ways to travel if one wanted to in order to show faster streaming tech too.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

It probably will be. I question how much Nintendo would want it to stand out though.

For better or worse I think they’re going to want people to look at the new one and immediately understand that it offers a similar experience as BotW/TotK, considering how popular they are.

I don’t really mind either way. Tbh I think just a new artsyle in itself will do wonders in making the world feel different.
too cookie cutter. I think we're going to see a bigger change. For example, the next setting isn't going to just be another huge piece of land with a variety of terrain. That would be too much the same thing like when I was visiting national parks in Utah and grand canyon and Colorado... They all started to run together.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Think Switch 2, think slightly different time setting and think about much bigger cities and settlements with more people, farms with animals, big workshops, big markets, etc… think about expansions of physics and elemental puzzles now including dynamic lighting (RT lighting and shadows), etc…

Maybe they could add some bigger battles too (more friendly and enemy NPCs involved, etc…) too.

On top of reusing a remastered Hyrule as TotK, as some people have said they could add sea navigation and a few smaller islands (if they were smart they could add more island by paid DLC) and integrate water physics into the simulation and game puzzles too (maybe snow as well). Maybe part of the land could be flooded again but I would rather have additional space filled with sea and new island on top of what we have. Maybe faster ways to travel if one wanted to in order to show faster streaming tech too.
AS for new settings...I can see something like wind waker being possible. I could see big cities being the focus of the game. i could see big underground dungeon settings.

I don't see big markets and workshops. NOr expansion of physics and elemental puzzles. That isn't going to happen. Although admittedly its vague enough that I am not sure what exactly we're talking about. But I don't think they make the game even more complicated overall. This is Nintendo.

And the last paragraph...I don't see it either. They aren't reusing the same map. I think the director even said that recently.

I expect more of a change. And I don't think they are going to add another layer of complication.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't see big markets and workshops. NOr expansion of physics and elemental puzzles. That isn't going to happen. Although admittedly its vague enough that I am not sure what exactly we're talking about. But I don't think they make the game even more complicated overall.
So, you would not see TotK after BotW :)?

tr1p1ex

So, you would not see TotK after BotW :)?
That made sense. Given the scope of the game. Basically a big expansion pack. But 3x in a row? That's what we're talking.

I think they gotta mix it up a bit more than mountains, cliffs, rivers, canyons, grass fields, trees, etc in a different spot with a new art style and same recipe with a few new twists.

I think for many interest waned with TotK compared to BotW.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's interesting that Starfield has more posts than this thread when this is the far superior game.

I guess when some people have to defend the game more and it's as polarizing as the mediocrity of Starfield, it will happen.

I'm still trying to convince myself to play it. The kids seem to like it and their copy is sitting right there.

Robb

Gold Member
For example, the next setting isn't going to just be another huge piece of land with a variety of terrain
Agreed. I’m definitely thinking new map with new ideas and gimmicks attached to it.

I just don’t think they’ll change their approach to, say, the weapon system for example. They might change how durability works or remove it altogether, but the days of finding a very specific item or tunic in a temple is gone for good (or for now at least). Same with their approach to doing temples in a certain order. I also think they’ll keep going with physics based/magic based powers etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That made sense. Given the scope of the game. Basically a big expansion pack. But 3x in a row? That's what we're talking.
I meant in terms of physics and design complexity. Probably one of the big reasons it took them so long to polish and release TotK.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I mean, Zelda started with a free open world and evolved into the more restrictive smaller world style with linear progression.
Now it is completely open and Temples are just short stops.
Classical Temples that take much more time and have more traditional puzzles rather than Sheika or Zonai power based ones would already help satisfy the fans.
If the story is then incorporated in order it’s not even necessary to restrict the sequence of the temples.
So I don’t get why Aunouma acts like it’s one vs the other.

Edit: also i don’t believe we need „open air“ like climbing, gliding, etc.
Focusing on the exploration of the ground and filling that with purpose is well enough. As seen with the Likes of Elden Ring.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I meant in terms of physics and design complexity. Probably one of the big reasons it took them so long to polish and release TotK.
Whats sad is the have all those possibilities and they never give players complex puzzles to push them into using them, the potential of TOTK's toolset is super undertapped, not dissimilar to Super Mario Odysseys toolkit.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

It's interesting that Starfield has more posts than this thread when this is the far superior game.

I guess when some people have to defend the game more and it's as polarizing as the mediocrity of Starfield, it will happen.

I'm still trying to convince myself to play it. The kids seem to like it and their copy is sitting right there.
This game isnt exciting to talk about really, its great but its not really reinventing the wheel. Its also a very finger food 180 hours of similar dopamine hits type game, it isnt as memorable as other great games as a result, with that said it was still the game I had the best time witg that came out last year, very much a relaxation game.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

OK I guess I'm still not really sure what specifically you're suggesting. Except a "faster horse." Everyone tends to say they want a faster horse. I want the same thing but better or bigger! ;).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
OK I guess I'm still not really sure what specifically you're suggesting. Except a "faster horse." Everyone tends to say they want a faster horse. I want the same thing but better or bigger! ;).
Water/fluids/vapour, smoke, sand, and snow simulation ;). Ocean waves, river streams, etc… finding ways to make them more interactive and building puzzles around them.

Still, I think it might be a bit beyond the performance Switch 2 aims at but then hey, Nintendo made a great deal of effort getting TotK run on ancient downclocked HW like the Switch so…

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Agreed. I’m definitely thinking new map with new ideas and gimmicks attached to it.

I just don’t think they’ll change their approach to, say, the weapon system for example. They might change how durability works or remove it altogether, but the days of finding a very specific item or tunic in a temple is gone for good (or for now at least). Same with their approach to doing temples in a certain order. I also think they’ll keep going with physics based/magic based powers etc. etc. etc.
Nopes it will nort just be open air it will be open time full time travel I am known for my industry perdictions

tr1p1ex

Water/fluids/vapour, smoke, sand, and snow simulation ;). Ocean waves, river streams, etc… finding ways to make them more interactive and building puzzles around them.

Ok. But they already capture the essence of much of that. I don't see the big payoff there overall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom