• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

hemo memo

Gold Member
I honestly hated every single one of those. I hate when you have progression based games where upgrading your abilities and gear is central to the core of the game and then they randomly throw you into a scenario where it's (almost) all taken away from you. It aggravates the shit out of me when a game randomly takes away dozens or hundreds of hours of progress to create an illusion of challenge.

And none of them were all that fun. The combat challenge with vehicles and the stealth one were particularly annoying.
They don’t take your hearts or stamina which is the game main progress. They give you more than enough in each shrine to win.

Nydius

They don’t take your hearts or stamina which is the game main progress. They give you more than enough in each shrine to win.
Stamina is mostly useless in shrines because you can't climb and rarely glide (especially in the combat ones). The most you'll use is sprint.

The game pushes you to acquire gear sets, upgrade them, upgrade your defense and attack, upgrade your weapons and shields, and then randomly takes it away, giving you nothing but chump low level shit items and trash tier fusion drops that you don't even get to keep when the combat challenge is over.

Any time any game takes away everything you've done for dozens of hours (or more) to create an artificial challenge is bullshit game design.
You can try to justify it as much as you want, you won't change my mind.
Being a Zelda game doesn't make it any less bullshit.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Agreed, lots of great setup for the meat of it to be kinda 'meh'.

Could have been a great segment if, as you said, it had an element of danger to it. The enemies were just too slow and ineffective for it to matter.

Did you fight the Ice Gleeok yet? (3 headed ice dragon) I thought he was a fun fight to figure out his mechanics near death. But yes, BotW and TotK's combat is definitely its weakest part. It's a shame they didn't have a team of guys specialize in making different weapons have unique movesets. That could have saved a lot of it. Like Gerudo Dagger have multiple fast hitting attacks, but maybe add elemental damage. 2H swords could have big windup damage etc. As it is, there are literally only 3 movesets in the game - 1h weapon, 2h weapon, and spear. Not much to get excited about there, and I'm still confident that this is the reason they left durability basically untouched from BotW. It hides how piss poor the combat is if your weapon breaks 3x an encounter. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I also hate the fuse mechanic for melee weapons. For arrows and shields I think it's a cool mechanic and very useful/interesting. For melee weapons it's just another "upkeep" or "pause the gameplay for a while and fiddle around in menus" stopper.

I think if the enemies were too aggressive or fast, it would again highlight how bad the core combat gameplay is. The longer I play the game, the more fun I have building stuff like attack drones to take out enemy camps, simply because the building mechanics are more fun than the combat ones. I love the new "boss" enemies that will organize the peons into formations and combat roles, but they didn't do enough with it. As it is, since I play primarily on emulator, I just patched in infinite durability and it made the overall experience so much better. When I'm playing on my Switch though, it's a real slog.

Totally valid criticism. People who engage with the physics based gameplay and building mechanics are definitely having a lot more fun than us "simple" melee combat peons. It only gets a pass from me because of how amazing the rest of the package is. Also, my amount of usage of the bow has never been higher, and it really makes me appreciate the gyro aiming. Such a great system, where you do the manual aiming with your sticks and then fine tune the shot with the gyro. Wish every game with aiming had that option.
Like i said, the 3 headed dragon was the only interesting boss i fought.

The game also gives you an op arsenal that is not well balanced imo, like when you meet the fat, big boglin with like 8 small boglins, you just need a confusing arrow to solve the encounter because he is gonna kill all the small ones while they do chip damage to him, other games have confusing arrows but you need to build a meter with multiple arrow, in here is just too easy.

I really want to try building mechs and shit but i have 2 things that stops me from doing it

-i'm not very good at building mechs
-if the game is already pretty easy like this, doens't using mechs erase the little challenge you have? i saw some videos of people destroying camps with absolute ease that way, it kinda feels like cheating (i know it's really not)

At least with the confusing arrow i still need to get close without being seen because i kinda have shitty aim:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Hard=/=fun
Easy=/=boring

The boss is a puzzle. Figuring that puzzle and win the boss. Like most of the bosses in TotK. The final boss is a decent challenge and if you want movement and pattern study then go for Lynels. This isn’t Souls. It is not about reaction time and this is not new for Zelda or Nintendo games as this has been Nintendo design philosophy since forever.
I can understand your point of view, but the boss-puzzles were incredibly easy to solve so it was not really a challenge as a puzzle neither.

Also i think that more challenge in general enhance the sense of progression of when you get that rare piece of loot that stay with you like the companions or the few combat dedicated armours.
Feeling a bit more strong when you have a big challenge aginst you is one of the biggest things for me in a videogame and this is one of the few things that elden ring does better than tokt imo. (since people love to compare these 2)
(tokt has mush better sense of progression than botw at least)

Last edited:

Pejo

Like i said, the 3 headed dragon was the only interesting boss i fought.
There's 4 variations of them though, and each one is a new interesting fight. I'd search them out if you haven't experienced all the flavors.
The game also gives you an op arsenal that is not well balanced imo, like when you meet the fat, big boglin with like 8 small boglins, you just need a confusing arrow to solve the encounter because he is gonna kill all the small ones while they do chip damage to him, other games have confusing arrows but you need to build a meter with multiple arrow, in here is just too easy.
This is one of the strengths of the combat, IMO. I never even thought of doing that. I usually set a trap of some sort or build a construct to start the fight then pick some off with stealth or arrows. I mean with infinite durabilty I could just run in and destroy the camp with my 138 damage 1h sword, but sometimes I just want to shake it up. The battle system is not gonna challenge you on its own for the most part, so trying different approaches can help you get more out of the battle system. But yea it's optional and the game's combat is boring and piss easy for the most part, can't deny.
I really want to try building mechs and shit but i have 2 things that stops me from doing it

i'm not very good at building mechs
if the game is already pretty easy like this, doens't using mechs erase the little challenge you have? i saw some videos of people destroying camps with absolute ease that way, it kinda feels like cheating (i know it's really not)
It's not about making the game easier so much, just looking at approaching the situation in different ways. Kinda like a combat puzzle if I had to explain it?

MGSV was and probably still is the king of "approach combat any way you want", and I feel like TotK follows that much more closely than any action combat game like DMC or Souls etc. I mean let's be honest, with how dumb/slow the enemies are, there are probably a small handful of combat encounters you even have to engage in to beat the game. Most of the time it's just fun to see what you can do.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just did Gerudo stuff, it was all excellent, not just the temple but the whole lead up to it (which to me counts as part of the dungeon really, just as the way to the wind temple counts as part of the dungeon, if you consider it separate things then the temples are too short to be far beyond the BOTW divine beasts), how the city was so different to BOTW but still cool, etc., it's all very classic Zelda and the boss battle is too. Now sure, it's kind of a pushover but it's fun to do and probably a nightmare in master mode or whatever with few hearts (although I only had 6 + 3 from the spa for the whole thing so I did die a couple times when not being careful enough and one of the quick moving minions got to me and I also got caught by the boss bumrush). Zelda combat is great in every game and in this game too, dunno what trolls don't like, it feels right, it's polished, simple and fun, its lock on has become a gaming staple and Zelda still does it better than most, plus you have so many fun and varied tools in this game and that's without going into fortnite building shenanigans (that I also don't like for combat) as demonstrated in that lynel tweet. And yes I play Monster Hunter too, so?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lol when i got to robbie to upgrade the tablet i already got all the sidemissions done except the one to activate the teleport.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Just did Gerudo stuff, it was all excellent, not just the temple but the whole lead up to it (which to me counts as part of the dungeon really, just as the way to the wind temple counts as part of the dungeon, if you consider it separate things then the temples are too short to be far beyond the BOTW divine beasts), how the city was so different to BOTW but still cool, etc., it's all very classic Zelda and the boss battle is too. Now sure, it's kind of a pushover but it's fun to do and probably a nightmare in master mode or whatever with few hearts (although I only had 6 + 3 from the spa for the whole thing so I did die a couple times when not being careful enough and one of the quick moving minions got to me and I also got caught by the boss bumrush). Zelda combat is great in every game and in this game too, dunno what trolls don't like, it feels right, it's polished, simple and fun, its lock on has become a gaming staple and Zelda still does it better than most, plus you have so many fun and varied tools in this game and that's without going into fortnite building shenanigans (that I also don't like for combat) as demonstrated in that lynel tweet. And yes I play Monster Hunter too, so?
Yes my friends and the options in combat are actually deep enough for pro level players its Nintendos design philosophies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, this game is ridiculously amazing. BOTW was my favorite game ever, and I wondered how they were ever going to top it. Man, did they ever (although I'm not even a quarter through the game yet). I was one of the "looks like BOTW DLC" people, because it really did in those trailers, but man is it something else entirely. I even appreciate it being on the same base map now, it's fun to revisit places and see how they've changed. I now understand why this took 6 years.

The game also runs surprisingly well, but there's one small thing that bothers me because it happens so often: Every time a
companion
comes between the camera and Link the framerate grinds to a halt (well, to 20fps). This happens A LOT, and is very hard to avoid. Not sure how they didn't make sure to fix that one before launch.

Last edited:

Aldric

Zelda combat is great in every game and in this game too
Never understood the criticisms about combat in BotW and now in TotK either, combat is the same as every other aspects of the game, the amount of possibilities at your disposal is immense and it's on you if you just want to go there spam Y and chug a bunch of recipes.

I mean look at this guy, besides excessive menuing tell me this doesn't look cool:

Nankatsu

Just came here to amend myself. Despite my previous opinion I kept on playing the game, did a bit of main quest and things started to feel better.

I'm now (finally) enjoying the game.

Sand Dune Reaction GIF

SegaManAU

Gold Member
50 hours in now. Having such an amazing time with this game. My wife is probably 40 hours in herself and she's not a gamer haha

Finally took a rest from it last night and watched some Netflix. I'll be back into it tonight. Slowing plugging away at the main quests now. Up to the fire temple.

Astral Dog

Some of the references in this game remind me of a certain,brilliant gem that unfortunately didn't got the appreciation from players at the time and was essentially branded a failure,despite its share of flaws,Zelda the Wind Waker is simply one in a million

The sheer imagination and expression of the Art,characters,animations, puzzles, dungeons , and the music, the music 🤧

at least inspired two unappreciated spin offs as well ,the Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks both great games on their own.

its cool how Tears of the Kingdom celebrates past games while building its own setting

Last edited:

Lethal01

I know that I'm on the minority here, but I honestly think the game is overated, exactly like Breath of the Wild.

Shrines are fun and gameplay is inventive but everything else is just...not for me? I keep playing and the game doesn't click with me.

I don't find the world fascinating at all, actually I think it feels empty as hell, narrative is pretty scarce and uninteresting.

I'm currently sitting near the first tower that allows you to unlock parts of the map...and I'm not that hyped to keep playing.

Give me a bit of your Zelda Energy GAF.

bear sliding GIF

It's okay to not like something, the doesn't at all mean it's over rated

Lethal01

Never understood the criticisms about combat in BotW and now in TotK either, combat is the same as every other aspects of the game, the amount of possibilities at your disposal is immense and it's on you if you just want to go there spam Y and chug a bunch of recipes.

I mean look at this guy, besides excessive menuing tell me this doesn't look cool:

First of all he is doing this in low gravity so everything here isn't actually possible for literally 99.9% of the game. It's a neat video though
Even with that it's mostly just him shooting a few slow motion arrows, which is boring, and some lunge attack(which again don't work like that for 99.9% of the game)

The melee combat in this game is just extremely lackluster and the enemies are so weak and stupid you rarely want to actually use your options because using them is easy and just feels like you are basically skipping the fight, Yes I can beat all these guy with a single puffshroom/confuse shroom, or I can just blow em into the water, or freeze em all, or I can just rocket/bombjump up and just slowmo headshot every enemy. It's neat that you can do these things, but it's also boring to do since there is no actual challenge for anything other than boss and the challenge in said bosses boils down to shoot em in the eye then wack em with the strongest stuff you got.

Most "cool combat videos" are just pointlessly wasting a bunch of resources to make cool looking explosions,jumps fireworks then mashing Y.

Sidenote, the games lockon system is actually pretty janky which is funny considering Ocarina of time.
the mix of the camera lock on, dodge and block into a single button honestly just hurts combat since it's really not good at letting you lock onto a specific enemy when surrounded.

I agree that it's on you " if you just want to go there spam Y" however there are issues with the base system that make the melee feel bad in addition to just how limited it is.

Anyway 11/10 game, greatest of all time, the positives simply vastly outweigh the flaws.
I'm just saying maybe they shouldn't hesitate to give Platinum games a call for their combat expertise😂

Last edited:

Aldric

Most "cool combat videos" are just pointlessly wasting a bunch of resources to make cool looking explosions,jumps fireworks then mashing Y.
Again never understood this kind of argument. There's nothing "pointless" about it or else literally everything in the game is pointless. You've got this ridiculously deep interplay of systems that can be used in every area of the game, for puzzle solving, for traversal and yes for combat, in fact the entire appeal of the game is its freeform gameplay and how it lets players improvise. Why would combat be any different? The whole point is you're not forced to do it but you can if you want.

And no leave Platinum out of this, they have enough on the table already and not every game needs a combat system that's either like Souls or like DMC/Bayo.

Lethal01

Again never understood this kind of argument. There's nothing "pointless" about it or else literally everything in the game is pointless. You've got this ridiculously deep interplay of systems that can be used in every area of the game, for puzzle solving,
I mean that they are specifically doing thing that do literally nothing but add some cool background effects for the sake of the video, like a flamethrower boomerang that's not actually doing any damage. Point being that these videos are a terrible argument against critique towards the battle system.

It's like going "OH YEAH IF THE COMBAT IS BAD EXPLAIN THIS!!!" *insert video of someone sky diving while shooting every elemental arrow with everything dead before you hit the ground*. It's great that you can do this but when you are doing it against targets that might as well sandbags it really doesn't make any points and again, the video isn't even demonstrating someone playing well, it's literally a showcase of all the stuff you can do at the cost of wasting resources and taking longer to kill the enemy. This video is literally using a glitch to cancel the lag after the shield parry, that lag usually makes the parry a pretty terrible option.

Regardless, the melee combat just doesn't really feel good and there is pretty much no challenge through the game unless you specifically avoid every element in your aresenal which is boring. I don't think you need to make an element of the game feel shitty to encourage the use of other elements.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
I like spending time between Sky, Land and Below. Finding so much good stuff and slowly increasing my batteries. Think I’m going to spend some time on the side quests.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I took on the Lionel colosseum. Won and got a mask. It was great. The first time they slaughtered me the second time I took them to task.

gleelok is still kicking my butt. I need to figure that out.

wife asked when I would finish the game.

I do wonder is the area from the original Zelda here. I think I found an area from ocarina of time.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Just saw the credits after having spent some 80 hours in the game. It's probably one of the greatest games ever made.
I beat it this morning too. Yeah it was amazing, but I am fucking tired of gaming now. I also couldn't be assed to 100% it. Did 136 shrines but had way to may unneeded pieces of armor that I wouldn't want to level up to give a shit about the few I missed in the depths. Maybe I will finish that stuff later if there is a DLC.

Crayon

This game has addressed every major issue I had with the first one and then some. I said there should be caves that go underground. They did that and added a map in the sky too. I said let me do a little more with items. And here I can stick a minecart to a stick. It's just amazing so far.

Last edited:
80 hours in and still only did the wind temple. Completed the tears of the kingdom quest, saw it coming but still an awesome reveal. Finally getting around in the depths now that I have auto build. This game is enormous, unbelievable how much they were able to cram in and how polished it is.

Majukun

very surprised that they went and gave you THAT kind of final "hand power"..it sure is convenient, but maybe it takes a little bit too much of the ingenuity requirement for exploration.

Astral Dog

I'm just saying maybe they shouldn't hesitate to give Platinum games a call for their combat expertise😂
<3 Platinum, and i don't think its a bad idea to ask outside for help, don't believe it will ever happen though, and would start with the Tecmo Warriors team since they already have plenty of experience working on 'Zelda' games,incorporating them into the team wouldn't be a problem and they would be a better fit

I had no issue (besides with the low difficulty,that has been fixed on remasters) with the 'combat' in Zelda games before Breath of the Wild, these are not flashy character action games ,the focus is not on the combat system but on solving puzzles,exploring,adventure etc.the bosses were all simple puzzle/spectacle/setpieces like Mario games but epic,(i would even say i enjoy the 'combat' on Mario bros , jumping over goombas over and over never gets old!). The Gamecube games had simple controls and very good hit animations.

With Breath of the Wild combat design became somewhat more annoying ,there are more weapon options but the controls don't feel right at all neither the hit reactions,and no matter how they do it the weapon degradation system sucks imo.

Idk i just don't find it fun 🤷‍♂️ appears some people like it at least and are getting something out of it

Edit: also previous Zeldas had a more linear structure, with higher enemy variety from what i remember they would fit new enemies on each dungeon

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Did the labyrinth in the N/NW and it was actually fun. It went from the ground to the sky and felt like an actual connected thing.

The actual mazes were stupidly easy, but overall fun.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Where do you get clothes for the wind temple? It's the first temple I'm tackling and well, I'm scarce both in heating potions and clothes that help me stay warm.

This Is Fine GIF

In Lookout Landing, in the secure room deal beneath the town square, I think they sell a cheap piece of cold resist gear. You can also fuse a ruby to your shield and it provides some cold resist, and also melts the frozen objects while you stand next to them.

BlackTron

I honestly hated every single one of those. I hate when you have progression based games where upgrading your abilities and gear is central to the core of the game and then they randomly throw you into a scenario where it's (almost) all taken away from you. It aggravates the shit out of me when a game randomly takes away dozens or hundreds of hours of progress to create an illusion of challenge.

And none of them were all that fun. The combat challenge with vehicles and the stealth one were particularly annoying.

I almost NEVER use this expression but...git gud son.

Those shrines were great. All I read is frustration because you suck. If the shrine is too hard, come back with more health. Your progress will not be taken away.

They are combat and resource management challenges that don't allow you to use the vast resources of Hyrule as a crutch. No you cannot just use your leveled up armor, 100 arrows or eat dozens of meat skewers until it's over. They actually designed a gameplay challenge that you can't just cheese your way through, which in this game, is a HUGE TREAT. Especially since most just ask me to Ultrahand a physics puzzle, I get excited when I find a shrine that actually makes you get serious with Link testing your combat and resource management skills. (Don't forget, Zelda is also a puzzle game. A bunch of enemies just sitting there to shoot with bomb arrows in your inventory isn't much of a puzzle, and doesn't make you use all the mechanics in unison).

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I won't knock anyone for not liking aspects of a game, opinions and all, but I pretty much suck at games these days and yet still found those challenge shrines pretty easy. I did several, I guess, and haven't died in one yet.

And again, I'm the guy that had to get to level 40+ with upgraded gear just to advance in Elden Ring into areas others were completing while wearing a loincloth and fighting with a club.

Paltheos

Finished the frog gem quest today. No particular plans to hunt down the absurd number Koltin tells me remain for no reward.
I am, tonight, dragon farming. Given that it takes 10 minutes of real time passing until you can farm another part, getting one of each part from everyone will take a minimum of near-3 hours. Probably closer to 4 depending on how I catch their routing. I got very lucky that the light dragon was right near where I was going to start farming the (presumably) easiest farm, the ice dragon. Seeking him out could have been a nightmare otherwise given how much longer his route is over the others.

Other things I did:
Check my play time for the first time. I am over 115 hours at this point. Still have plenty of content left too lol
Make a spreadsheet to track my gear acquisition rates. I just hit the 50% mark on set gear. Misc. stuff is at 42%.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
80 hours in and still only did the wind temple. Completed the tears of the kingdom quest, saw it coming but still an awesome reveal. Finally getting around in the depths now that I have auto build. This game is enormous, unbelievable how much they were able to cram in and how polished it is.
Yes my friends reached 275 hours and 30 pounds after beating this the bests Zelda story ever bests Zelda ending evers best Zelda game evers and overall GOAT

Nows I hunt Lynels and Phantoms and try to find ways to breaks the world with NASA space techs from skies to depths thats I also use to mow down enemies Farm zonites by mining and fighting in the depths and then use that to levels up your artillery

also become a gods at combats

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I found

The Mushroom Haven for Meghyn and Nat's side quest

This might have been my favorite ongoing side quest thus far, and I get the feeling it's not over yet.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
And after 275 hours I still finds new things in the world every times I play thats not even theres when I search for it online

We've only seens the tip of the icebergs

e7fu3ryapfc3g7aow7r8.gif

HofT

Well, in my defense, in the portion of the map that I'm currently on, I haven't seen many of those things. In fact, when I came across something I had to walk quite a bit through that empty map I mentioned.

Maybe the game gets better, it just doesn't wow me like it does to the majority of people, I guess.

Should I probably tackle the main quest a bit first, instead of trying to explore the map?
Do what you want. That's the beauty of the game. You'll run into stuff

Lethal01

<3 Platinum, and i don't think its a bad idea to ask outside for help, don't believe it will ever happen though, and would start with the Tecmo Warriors team since they already have plenty of experience working on 'Zelda' games,incorporating them into the team wouldn't be a problem and they would be a better fit

I had no issue (besides with the low difficulty,that has been fixed on remasters) with the 'combat' in Zelda games before Breath of the Wild, these are not flashy character action games ,the focus is not on the combat system but on solving puzzles,exploring,adventure etc.the bosses were all simple puzzle/spectacle/setpieces like Mario games but epic,(i would even say i enjoy the 'combat' on Mario bros , jumping over goombas over and over never gets old!). The Gamecube games had simple controls and very good hit animations.

With Breath of the Wild combat design became somewhat more annoying ,there are more weapon options but the controls don't feel right at all neither the hit reactions,and no matter how they do it the weapon degradation system sucks imo.

Idk i just don't find it fun 🤷‍♂️ appears some people like it at least and are getting something out of it

Edit: also previous Zeldas had a more linear structure, with higher enemy variety from what i remember they would fit new enemies on each dungeon

Yeah, the kind of tweaks I want are "less lag for X,Y and Z so that they are more viable and can be stringed together for more interesting stuff and mixed with the rest of the game systems more easily."

And again the lock on just doesn't deal well with multiple targets, and since blocking and dodging are tied to it it hurts both those elements as well.

Just problems with the base combat that most people wouldn't even think about if they got improved.
Sad that so many are so disgusted by the idea of the games combat being improved but for the least I'm doubtful Nintendo actually shares their opinion.

Personally though I just could not be less bothered by weapon degredation, chances are at any point I can make whatever weapon I want but I usually enjoy just grabbing one of the enemies weapons so that I don't just one shot everything.

Last edited:

belmarduk

I won't knock anyone for not liking aspects of a game, opinions and all, but I pretty much suck at games these days and yet still found those challenge shrines pretty easy. I did several, I guess, and haven't died in one yet.

And again, I'm the guy that had to get to level 40+ with upgraded gear just to advance in Elden Ring into areas others were completing while wearing a loincloth and fighting with a club.

Some of those shrines where they take all your clothes and weapons.. and you have to fight the Zonai are the most fun.. and rewarding I think.

daveonezero

Banned
Yeah, the kind of tweaks I want are "less lag for X,Y and Z so that they are more viable and can be stringed together for more interesting stuff and mixed with the rest of the game systems more easily."

And again the lock on just doesn't deal well with multiple targets, and since blocking and dodging are tied to it it hurts both those elements as well.

Just problems with the base combat that most people wouldn't even think about if it were changed.
Sad that so many are so disgusted by the idea of the games combat being improved but for the least I'm doubtful Nintendo actually shares their opinion.

Personally though I just could not be less bothered by weapon degredation, chances are at any point I can make whatever weapon I want but I usually enjoy just grabbing one of the enemies weapons so that I don't just one shot everything.
I just raided the castle because of a an in game note telling me something was there. I’m going to be OP for a while.

Pretty epic moment climbing to the top. Also obtained lots of good horns.

I couldn’t find the second item that is there but I’ll be back. Don’t need it anyways just wanted my fashion.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finally managed to kill one of those 3 headed dragons and man even after upgrading my armour and getting more hearts these dragons and those white goblins can still one shot kill me.

Last edited:

Aldric

I finally managed to kill one of those 3 headed dragons and man even after upgrading my armour and getting more hearts these dragons and those white goblins can still one shot kill me.
I was exploring a cave earlier this week and was wearing the frog suit to climb slippery walls, I hadn't upgraded it at all. A silver bokoblin hit me once and removed 15 (fifteen) hearts.

Long gone are the days of final bosses only doing half a heart of damage.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I was exploring a cave earlier this week and was wearing the frog suit to climb slippery walls, I hadn't upgraded it all. A silver bokoblin hit me once and removed 15 (fifteen) hearts.

Long gone are the days of final bosses only doing half a heart of damage.
Yeah they hit like fucking truck and can take up lot hit before they die even with my most powerful weapons.

Danjin44

I’m not complaining, I actually like it. To me act of exploring is fun when its dangerous and you need to put proper effort, if not it can quickly become mundane and boring.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, the Fire Temple was disappointing. Approaching it I thought I was getting an actual dungeon this time, but no, it was just a divine beast again. Actual proper bosses are cool though.

Also kinda annoying that you then get the exact same cutscene after the temple, explaining the exact same thing as if it's first time you've heard it, only with a different character doing the talking. I understand they can't build on one another since you can do them in any order, but this feels lazy.

Oh well, amazing game overall, just not perfect.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just reached the depths below the volcano, my mind was blown, started wishing a new modern Dark Souls remake by imagining how Izalith would look like with better lighting and materials, damn...

I'm around 30 hours in, from now on gonna follow main story since I want the skills for exploring, before now I was just wandering around, doing the first temple, getting at least two stamina rings, more hearts, the first faeries, etc.

I suggest people do that, this game (and botw) are little forgiving in combat a lot of times so getting some extra surviving changes makes the game better in my opinion... One can eat in battles with no penalty but having to cook so frequently is boring af.

BTW, WTF with this game wanting me to leave my clothes and weapons for a shrine or quest? I hate that, there's a reason why I make the effort to upgrade my gear and I feel that breaks my enjoyment unnecessarily.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yeah they hit like fucking truck and can take up lot hit before they die even with my most powerful weapons.
That's my main complaint about BOTW and TOTK, I don't mind weapon durability but fucking enemies hit too hard and have way too much health, fucking sponges, unnecessarily so because it makes the combat tedious and not fun.

I tried fighting one of these three headed dragons and all my weapons barely did any damage, I ran out of good weapons and almost by arrows by the time I reached half health, just insanely unbalanced in my opinion, like, the games are basically perfect but that "detail" breaks them sometimes more than it should...

I was wrong …this is GOTY and It’s not even close. 35 hours in and I am still going WTF. I can’t believe Nintendo was able to pull this game off on the switch.

I saw a dragon floating in the air so I tried jumping on its back and as I’m collecting the items on its back the dragon takes me deep into the depths. I wasn’t expecting it to go under ground like WTF lol

GymWolf

Yeah those white boglin are just the worse, they fight like the brown one but they are super tanky, the fight boils down into doing a combo to knock em down and repeat, they are not dungerous just annoying.

Btw in the depths i'm just using a boglin mask so i can mine ores inside enemy camps and they do nothing to me most of the times

Last edited:
Top Bottom