• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I tried fighting one of these three headed dragons and all my weapons barely did any damage, I ran out of good weapons and almost by arrows by the time I reached half health, just insanely unbalanced in my opinion, like, the games are basically perfect but that "detail" breaks them sometimes more than it should...
You first need to hit them in the head with your bow, each head has small separate health, once you done that they get stunned for short while and that’s your chance to hit them.

I use my strongest bow while attaching eyeballs for guarantee hit.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Is there a good place to find good bows? I jave found myself using bows more than swords as they tend to do more damage, and are more presice. But now I'm running out of strong bows, and can't find the one from the snow labyrinth again. It looks like that one won't respawn.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Im always short on arrows, not bows. Got the Goron temple down. Was alright, didnt mind the carts too much. Boss fight was a fun surprise.

I almost only use bows to shoot mudflowers at strong groups (or knock down horriblins and kill those bubble axolotls, I guess) so I'm drowning in arrows right now, probably 300+. I don't have an issue with bows either and just let a bunch of them lying around because I have no need for them.

For people looking for them though, I think Battle Talus usually have a couple of archers on their platform; you could go to the Underground Fortress, in the Depths right below Akala fortress, and sneak attack all the Lizalfos on the heights around it, too.

Emedan

I beat it this morning too. Yeah it was amazing, but I am fucking tired of gaming now. I also couldn't be assed to 100% it. Did 136 shrines but had way to may unneeded pieces of armor that I wouldn't want to level up to give a shit about the few I missed in the depths. Maybe I will finish that stuff later if there is a DLC.
I think I cleared some 80 shrines. There's a hell of a lot left in the game to do though. I barely explored the sky islands to be honest, I'll get back to in on my star save though and do more side content - I want the OOT outfit. But 100%, nah that'll never happen.

Damn, I didn't care much about the removal of the dupe glitches because my battery was almost maxed already... and now I realize you can double up on your power cells?! Time to go back to the Depths I guess lol... Well it's not like every other chest there has a large power crystal in the first place.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not reading anything here because spoilers, but 15-20 hours in. Only completed my first

temple last night, the water temple & got the full Zora’s set too

but wow, the hooks are thoroughly in now. Played last night for 4 hours straight, went to bed thinking about it. Woke up thinking about it, just played for another hour but have to deal with the kids now. I’m thinking that I want to take my time here, going to methodically comb each part of the map as I unlock it. Currently going through the Great Plateau and will then return to the beautiful Zora’s domain. Could easily see myself putting 150 hours or more in to this play through.

The game is just so fun to play, even if I do ‘nothing’ for an hour I still feel like I’m progressing through just exploration and helping my korok homies out. You can just explore on the ground for hours and then you’re like

‘oh shit, I forgot about the sky and the depths’

Currently got 2 full stamina wheels and just need 1 more shrine to cash in for 2 more segments of stamina. I’m doing a 3 heart run.

Amazing.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Yes do the glyphs first if you're aching for story...
Well, in my defense, in the portion of the map that I'm currently on, I haven't seen many of those things. In fact, when I came across something I had to walk quite a bit through that empty map I mentioned.

Maybe the game gets better, it just doesn't wow me like it does to the majority of people, I guess.

Should I probably tackle the main quest a bit first, instead of trying to explore the map?

Does it really matter horse you get?

I caught the first horse I could find and have been sticking with it. It keeps fucking pulling to the side and doing stupid shit.

Can I release it back into the wild and catch another horse? This one is really pissing me off. It's like playing The Witcher 3 all over again.

Ulysses 31

I caught the first horse I could find and have been sticking with it. It keeps fucking pulling to the side and doing stupid shit.

Can I release it back into the wild and catch another horse? This one is really pissing me off. It's like playing The Witcher 3 all over again.
You haven't registered it at a stable? Think you can unregister them once you do.

Spotted horses have lower stats than the more single colored ones.

Last edited:

You have to increase its affection first. Feed it apples (just hold them and move toward its head), use L often when riding it, etc.
If you've brought your horse to a stable already, you can see its exact stats, especially affection and temperament. It will also give it a saddle, although I don't know it it makes horses easier to control.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo has to spend what ever money they have and stop being reluctant with graphics because breath of the wild 3 could be a masterpiece.

GymWolf

Ditch horses and build a simple overbike, horses are crap in this game.

daveonezero

Banned
I’m not complaining, I actually like it. To me act of exploring is fun when its dangerous and you need to put proper effort, if not it can quickly become mundane and boring.
This is why I loved botw on master mode. Really made some of the systems shine like cooking.

I think ToTK had a good balance and so far I’m still rocking only 4 heats.

I wonder if they will go a bit crazy with the master mode.
Is there a good place to find good bows? I jave found myself using bows more than swords as they tend to do more damage, and are more presice. But now I'm running out of strong bows, and can't find the one from the snow labyrinth again. It looks like that one won't respawn.

Yes. I just found a bunch in
hyrule castle.

Last edited:

Majukun

Nintendo has to spend what ever money they have and stop being reluctant with graphics because breath of the wild 3 could be a masterpiece.
implying that this game it's not because of graphics of all things?

also, people that look for graphics alrewady have two console + pc to chose from for that, nintendo would be stucking herself back in a battle they already lost in the past.

people that care about graphics usually don't buy nintendo consoles regardless if they are powerful or not.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You first need to hit them in the head with your bow, each head has small separate health, once you done that they get stunned for short while and that’s your chance to hit them.

I use my strongest bow while attaching eyeballs for guarantee hit.
That's how I approached it, but it just have so much health... If say it has around twice the amount of health it should, absurd, but that's the only thing I think it's just shit, not about the game alone but inherited from BOTW

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
That's how I approached it, but it just have so much health... If say it has around twice the amount of health it should, absurd, but that's the only thing I think it's just shit, not about the game alone but inherited from BOTW
I would recommend a triple bow + eye tracking opposite their element.

Aldric

The future of the mainline series is very interesting. Given how BotW and TotK are so popular the easy thing to do would be to make another game in the same continuity with the same art direction and structure but I hope they have the balls to upend the tea table again and go in a completely different direction for the next game. Of course they'll keep the open ended structure and physics based gameplay but they need a new world, new esthetics and IMO a better solution than shrines for overworld exploration and puzzle solving.

I remember this interview from Aonuma back when BotW was released, he said that he was glad that they managed to redefine the conventions of the Zelda series but now he was worried that BotW would become the new convention. I hope he still thinks the same way because even if I loved TotK I wouldn't want a third game like BotW in a row.

AMSCD

The future of the mainline series is very interesting. Given how BotW and TotK are so popular the easy thing to do would be to make another game in the same continuity with the same art direction and structure but I hope they have the balls to upend the tea table again and go in a completely different direction for the next game. Of course they'll keep the open ended structure and physics based gameplay but they need a new world, new esthetics and IMO a better solution than shrines for overworld exploration and puzzle solving.

I remember this interview from Aonuma back when BotW was released, he said that he was glad that they managed to redefine the conventions of the Zelda series but now he was worried that BotW would become the new convention. I hope he still thinks the same way because even if I loved TotK I wouldn't want a third game like BotW in a row.
It's Nintendo. For better or worse, they aren't afraid to try new things.

I could see them riding on the success of TotK for awhile. New hardware is coming likely by next year, I think that will coincide with a definitive edition with DLC added along with visual and performance improvements. Not sure how they will handle BC, hopefully some upgrade path for people that own the game already.

I also think there will something like a "Zelda Maker" type game to come out of this. Maybe a way for people to make their own dungeons and/or shrines to share with the community.

Emedan

The two other ones already are masterpieces, TOTK perhaps being the greatest game ever made. Nintendos approach to game design here is such a breath of fresh air compared to the releases from the AAA game factories we're normally used to today.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I would recommend a triple bow + eye tracking opposite their element.
Gotta get a triple bow and wait until I get way better gear, I used for arrows BTW, that's how I always approach elemental enemies. I'm not saying it's hard, it barely touched me, I just ran out of resources due to the absurd amount of health it has

thatJohann

I’m never gonna finish this. It’s probably too big of a game for me. I enjoyed the 4 hours I played but I’m already burnt out from trying to figure out how to get places with all these tools and magic powers.

daveonezero

Banned
I’m never gonna finish this. It’s probably too big of a game for me. I enjoyed the 4 hours I played but I’m already burnt out from trying to figure out how to get places with all these tools and magic powers.
I would just say get accustomed to a few things at a time. I'm still playing it like BotW. Finding shrines organically and helping out the koroks. After doing a few you have plenty of weapon, bow and shield slots..

Only using a sprinkling of the vehicle aspect. I did build a cart for my horse to haul some wood but found it easier to just carry 10 pieces with ultra hand.

Then I try and resource gather. Be it ingredients, monster parts or weapons. Try and have an objective or something to learn about and you will start to get into a flow of things. I'd say just trying to unlock a few of the sky towers is a good challenge and you will realize a lot of things just doing that.

So after playing through Deus Ex on the WiiU I decided to pop in my copy of BotW, only to find that I had never finished the DLC for it. So after completing that (and doing a BMX-victory lap around Hyrule), I had the urge to play BotW again. But then I realized I may as well just play TotK, because if I replayed BotW I wouldn’t want to play the former any time soon.

So I ended up changing my mind and got the game sooner rather than later, as I remembered I had gift card I hadn’t used yet.

Not really sure yet what I think of it overall, though I do think the shrines in BotW were better; at least from what I’ve played of TotK so far. The inclusion of tutorial shrines seems weird to me, as they could be missed by those who may actually need them, and seem mostly like padding.

I’m mostly hooked on the game for now, but I’ve heard that the main dungeons are mostly disappointing, which is what I was hoping they’d improve on from BotW.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I’m mostly hooked on the game for now, but I’ve heard that the main dungeons are mostly disappointing, which is what I was hoping they’d improve on from BotW.
I don't think they are disappointing, I think they are fine, and one of them is really good (I haven't done a fourth one yet). I think the lead up to two is wonderful and orchestrated nicely. There's one that's just ok tho in the boss you can really use every ability which is cool. Sorry if I'm being too vague.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Glide over to the castle from the first lookout tower and there are 3 royal guard bows in that general area. 2 in the main area and then if you exit and cross the walk over that collapses, there's one in the room across the way. 3 total.

this shows the general area to land. They respawn every blood moon.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned

I would love the Next Zelda to be a sea based open world like Windwaker. With three worlds again: sea islands, underwater, sky islands (that mirror sea islands) and plenty of encounters and events in the open seas....

Astral Dog

while i don't find Tears of the Kingdom to be a pretty game(far from it),the graphics are second nature to the overall experience,to present a world so big with many systems in place TotK looks the way it does

people who always dismiss visuals on Nintendo systems with 'cheap' or 'its just the Art' forget most of their games are lavishly produced for the portable hardware they run on, if Nintendo didn't cared about graphics all their games would look like mobile apps or Pokemon,but instead we have Xenoblade 3, Kirby ,Luigis Mansion, Astral Chain,Metroid etc ,all push the hardware in different ways.

besides quality of animation and controls ,overall polish are as important as raw visual assets,and its an area Nintendo focuses on .

Anyways what i mean is we are only going to see prettier and prettier Nintendo games with higher production values next gen 🙌along with gameplay innovations,they just won't be 'high end' 🤭 or cutting edge since now their consoles are about how people play games anywhere they want rather than simply push tech limits

Last edited:

Certinty

I’m enjoying this way more than Breath of the Wild but the combat still sucks and then it’s made even worse with the breakable weapons returning. It’s totally putting me off the game right now.

Hardensoul

Hyrule castle top throne room, search there. You need extra stamina almost extra bar to glide there(food or elixirs work). Also, a surprised item. "
solve a not so obvious puzzle
remember a blood moon resets almost all items/enemies you can go back to stock up.

Last edited:

Jsisto

The game is a masterpiece and quite possibly the best game ive ever played. A lot of the reviewers really oversold the dungeons, though. I’ve done 3 so far, and aside from the fire one, they’ve been boring, unchallenging and tiny. Unless the remainder blow me away, I think they’re the worst in the series. The divine beasts actually had more interesting puzzles and story behind them. New bosses are great and a return to form though, and it’s a testament to the overall quality of the game that the poor dungeons don’t necessarily drag it down.

For reference, I view twilight princess as the high point of the series for dungeons. These are nothing at all like that. They’re like large shrines.

Last edited:

Bridges

Just watched credits roll. Incredible game, the final fight is really cool too, albeit pretty easy.

Easily one of the all time greatest games ever. BOTW was hands down my favorite game before this and now I struggle to think of anything from that game that isn't enormously improved, they really refined everything. Low point for me was the dungeons, I did not enjoy those very much but luckily they didn't take long. High point was accidentally sequence breaking into some cool late game stuff after only completing 1 dungeon. Love how you can truly find and so anything in this game if you explore long enough.

Switch says I have "100 hours or more" in this game, and now the in-game completion ticker has me at "49.91%” which is just ridiculous. The game would literally take 200+ hours to see everything and that is insane.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Just watched credits roll. Incredible game, the final fight is really cool too, albeit pretty easy.

Easily one of the all time greatest games ever. BOTW was hands down my favorite game before this and now I struggle to think of anything from that game that isn't enormously improved, they really refined everything. Low point for me was the dungeons, I did not enjoy those very much but luckily they didn't take long. High point was accidentally sequence breaking into some cool late game stuff after only completing 1 dungeon. Love how you can truly find and so anything in this game if you explore long enough.

Switch says I have "100 hours or more" in this game, and now the in-game completion ticker has me at "49.91%” which is just ridiculous. The game would literally take 200+ hours to see everything and that is insane.
You'll puts a lot more than 200 hrs in there's a lot more than you thinks even right now

daveonezero

Banned
Hyrule castle top throne room, search there. You need extra stamina almost extra bar to glide there(food or elixirs work). Also, a surprised item. "
solve a not so obvious puzzle
remember a blood moon resets almost all items/enemies you can go back to stock up.
Yeah I still haven't found the shield. but found the armor. I saw that the shield is somewhere in the castle but I couldn't find it. Found lots of Royal guard weapons though.

Aldric

Yeah I still haven't found the shield. but found the armor. I saw that the shield is somewhere in the castle but I couldn't find it. Found lots of Royal guard weapons though.
The shield is a bit bullshit to find. I got spoiled about it otherwise I don't think I'd have ever found it naturally.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Nice, I've just been taking my time(80 maybe 100 hrs now). I get so distracted in this game I can't seem to finish anything I said I would do! :messenger_grinning_sweat: Only done 1 temple, that's just because I wanted better gliding, getting to wind was pretty cool and boss was great. But Temple puzzle is just like Divine beast. Maybe next game we get bigger dungeons.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Did my second temple (Water) and it was much better than the first one I did (Wind). LONG annoying cutscene at the end though.

Also, the "sages" following you around and being activated by getting close to them is probably one of the worst mechanics I've seen in a game in a long time. The way the champion abilities worked in BotW was much better.

Top Bottom