• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

What score do you think The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 10 -20%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40-50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 125 47.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's easy to blame the entirety of game's press and the tens of millions of blind fanboys saying somehow there is a secret pact to all be bias.

But in reality... most Sony and MS games heavily rely on graphics to sell their games. They sold their system on high end graphics, they've set expectations for high end graphics. Horizon, God of War, etc absolutely need to have top of the line graphics to survive. If Horizon: Burning Shores looked like a Switch game, what would it have to prop it up?

Nintendo makes evergreen toys that focus almost completely on mechanics. Zelda just needs to look good enough to let you enjoy those mechanics.

The bolded isn't true. And I've heard some in the press say that every game NEEDs to have a 60 fps mode in it now. I've been thinking that's the dumbest thing I've heard all year and Zelda: TOTK shows me that I was right. But Sony comes out with a new game that is 30 fps only at launch, that should be fine too.

grandzoid

Neo Member
Is this game really that good? Is it really the best game ever made and the GOTY of 2023? Maybe I'm buying a Switch to play Zelda ToTK, but first I want to know if it's really that good or if it's just the hype. Nothing I saw about this game got my attention, but who knows, maybe playing it will change my opinion.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

Is this game really that good? Is it really the best game ever made and the GOTY of 2023? Maybe I'm buying a Switch to play Zelda ToTK, but first I want to know if it's really that good or if it's just the hype. Nothing I saw about this game got my attention, but who knows, maybe playing it will change my opinion.

It has surpassed BOTW by a wide margin, so.. yeah..

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I don’t really think you should ever buy a system for one game, regardless of how good it is. Are there other games on Switch you’d be interested in playing?

Yes, it’s worth it

Nico_D

Playing it now. Yeah, it is pretty great. The possibilities for player to be creative are limitless. I made a crude car or whatever it was and tried to drive over some goblins. Missed, of course, but had so much fun trying that.

Marvel14

Banned
I do question why Nintendo is "allowed" to sell a non-steady 30fps game and it's perfectly fine, but some act as if MS and Sony can't do that anymore.
Nintendo's Value Proposition is fun games at affordable prices with some non power innovation and significantly lower horsepower.

Both MS and Sony claim that high graphical fidelity and hardware performance IS their Value Proposition.

Each is getting judged on their value proposition...it's not rocket science.

Markio128

Just got to the first dungeon proper - I wasn’t expecting the lead up to the dungeon to take so long! I’ve also had a little dip into the chasm - I can’t say anything particularly interesting happened, but I did light up a couple of areas.

I‘ve enjoyed the several shrines that I’ve completed though - short and sweet. The last one involved dodging lasers and was pretty fun, but my favourite so far has to be the one where I had to get two orbs (one being bigger than the other) to slide down some rails.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nintendo's Value Proposition is fun games at affordable prices with some non power innovation and significantly lower horsepower.

Both MS and Sony claim that high graphical fidelity and hardware performance IS their Value Proposition.

Each is getting judged on their value proposition...it's not rocket science.

I see that. But "high graphical fidelity" has never meant a guaranteed 60 fps. That's new and it's a stupid rule that gamers are trying to place on Xbox and PS.

Marvel14

Banned

Tams

I see that. But "high graphical fidelity" has never meant a guaranteed 60 fps. That's new and it's a stupid rule that gamers are trying to place on Xbox and PS.
It's also hilarious when last generation Playstation and Xbox were struggling to hit 30fps.

And this generation, many games struggle to hit 60fps.

Honestly, if you're a graphics whore, get a PC.

Madflavor

So this game is the best game ever made and is not about hype, it's really the best game ever made?

It's the greatest video game ever created. There's never existed a game either better designed or more fun than this. It's so good you'll quit gaming when you beat it, because nothing will ever top it. The highest form of entertainment has finally been achieved. All game developers are cancelling upcoming games. The dopamine released inside your brain from the moment you hit the title screen will overwhelm your senses with mindbreaking pleasure. The TGA 2023 will have all attendees take part in a mass orgy with Geoff Keighly rubbing his nipples handing out every award to Tears of the Kingdom. The governments of the world are in talks of declaring May 12th as a National Holiday. The day Tears of the Kingdom released.

Krathoon

I gotta get my new Amibo out of the mailbox. It was delivered faster than the game and I ordered it after the game shipped.

MagnesD3

Sorry homie that game came out last March, the DLC may or may not come out this year so we'll see if it wins GOTY 2 years in a row.

DarkBatman

Famitsu review : 40/40
Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

Sakura

Good God, this game made me a gamer again! After years of playing no game longer than an hour, I don't want to leave Hyrule forever! So nice and the perfect example that you don't need a rtx card to have a immersive game world!

Just gorgeous!!!
Pretty much. I can only play games like Hogwarts for a couple hours before I put it down and play something else. Where as a game like this, it's more, how many hours can I play before I need to go to bed?
Whenever I see people saying they don't enjoy gaming as much any more, etc, I'm always thinking that they just aren't playing games that they really like, but they don't realise it.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This was the first exclusive Switch game to get a perfect score on Famitsu. It's a big deal.

BlackTron

I knew this game would be a success but it might be more industry disrupting than I anticipated. How many people out there just realized that an old tablet was good enough for them the whole time, or have no motivation for the next game in their backlog after playing this? I'm not being silly saying the competition died overnight but I sense a tremor, like NES/SNES Nintendo is back for blood. Not Wii Nintendo where they beat you with a gimmick, I mean SNES level where they put out a game that slays with A/B/X/Y buttons and zero bullshit.

The bolded isn't true. And I've heard some in the press say that every game NEEDs to have a 60 fps mode in it now. I've been thinking that's the dumbest thing I've heard all year and Zelda: TOTK shows me that I was right. But Sony comes out with a new game that is 30 fps only at launch, that should be fine too.
But they do. I emulated BotW because the graphical fidelity and framerate was awful, a lot of the time to the point of unplayable. Battles in rainstorms, anything with heavy particle effects, ultrahand, gliding. It’s a way, way better experience on PC at 60fps
Is it that good? Yes.
Best game ever? No. Top 10 for me though.
So this game is the best game ever made and is not about hype, it's really the best game ever made?
Its not hype, it’s an incredible game.

Last edited:
But they do. I emulated BotW because the graphical fidelity and framerate was awful, a lot of the time to the point of unplayable. Battles in rainstorms, anything with heavy particle effects, ultrahand, gliding. It’s a way, way better experience on PC at 60fps
I really don't understand the "unplayable" comments I see from time to time regarding performance. Is there slow down from time to time? Sure. But unplayable? I just can't see that.

I really don't understand the "unplayable" comments I see from time to time regarding performance. Is there slow down from time to time? Sure. But unplayable? I just can't see that.
I mean, if you can play with constant drops in framerates, good for you, I have no problem with that, but I can’t. It ruins the experience.

If it was a steady 30, I would be fine with it, but the constant drops completely pull me out. I can’t deal with that stuff.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I missed this games today I spent it with my families

Its so addictives it derailed my life but even now when Im not playing I tink about it all the time

daclynk

Ladies and gentlemen it is with great sadness that I must announce today that after Jimbo's review Tears of the Kingdom is now at 95 on Metacritic
Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

well no one cares at this point. everyone i know is enjoying the game and its refreshing to see the community have fun and positive about the game. oh and its still going to win GOTY.

Last edited:

shubik

I asked the same question. My Switch came 4 days ago and this game is pure crack cocaine. If you can splash the money, go for it. You won´t regret

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I knew this game would be a success but it might be more industry disrupting than I anticipated. How many people out there just realized that an old tablet was good enough for them the whole time, or have no motivation for the next game in their backlog after playing this? I'm not being silly saying the competition died overnight but I sense a tremor, like NES/SNES Nintendo is back for blood. Not Wii Nintendo where they beat you with a gimmick, I mean SNES level where they put out a game that slays with A/B/X/Y buttons and zero bullshit.
If only. The industry sorely needs to remember that AA production values, no-nonsense gameplay and taking some time to release a product that’s not half-broken is nothing to be ashamed of.

But no, the fact remains that the Switch version of any multiplat game is going to be heavily compromised, and there’s no reason to buy it on Switch if you own any other platform. A lot of people will still prefer cutting-edge tech, 4K graphics and top performance if they can have it. And it’s not like Sony’s first parties are going to drop their standards because Switch is good “enough”.

Hardensoul

I’ve been avoiding this thread because I wanted to play it myself first. I love BoTW, thought the it was a template going forward, I admit BoTW deficiencies and some stuff not everyone will agree with.

But TotK is on a whole new level that I never thought it could be! I thought it was just a simple sequel with minor QoL and added content like to get more feel like previous games with dungeons.

To my surprise the game feels like a map feels like a new game, yet familiar. Didn’t think I would feel lost exploring at times and I put 700hrs in BoTW. Almost 100% normal -fuck koroks not finishing that 😂 and Master Mode was really challenging with strong eanemies and regen health!

TotK, not gonna lie when I first got down to Hyrule field my initial response was Eh! Because it looked the same, little did I know I was so wrong! They more I explore the more it felt bigger and more engaging,

Underground world, I was almost in a blackout. Did they mention this area? I only watch official trailers but didn’t recall any mentions of it. Sure trailer had Link and Zelda explore under castle but nothing like what we got. 2 new huge areas and Hyrule was basically reworked or has evolved!

Thanks Nintendo for taking the time to add all this content, which will take me some time to explore! The wait was well worth it!

Aldric

The review isn't surprising but his effect on Metacritic score is. How does a circus act like that have so much influence on the aggregate?

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Def my GOTY.

I have so much love for Jedi Survivor, but ToTK is something else. One night last week, I went to bed and for 30 mins the game was playing in my head. When I'm at work, I'm thinking about playing this game. Its crazy!

darrylgorn

Welp.

Ah, screw it.

Truth’s the truth, and the truth is that if Zelda wants to stick to its guns, I have no choice but to stick to mine.

7/10

Personally, I'd give it a 9/10 (but not the Switch version).

Last edited:
Top Bottom