• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes |OT| Purple Link just didn't stay fresh enough.

TheMoon

tfhotq7sj9.png

2778730-zelda-tri-forhyjio.jpg

Developed by: Nintendo EPD / Grezzo
Published by: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Release Dates: October 22, 2015 (JP) / October 23, 2015 (NA/PAL)
Genre: Zelda-style Cooperative Dungeon Crawling
Stereoscopic 3D: Yes
New Nintendo 3DS enhanced: Yes (C-stick pans the camera around)
amiibo support: No.
Miiverse Integration: Yes (posting your stylish clothes as Miiverse Stamps)
SpotPass: Yes (updates crafting materials available at the shop)
Save slots: One
Multiplayer: 3 players via local wireless, online (region locked), and (single copy) download play.
Multiplayer modes: cooperative (main game) / competitive (battle arena)
eShop download file size: 8,200 blocks (roughly 1GB)
DLC: Yes, via free update (update size: 1,100 blocks [roughly 141MB])

tfhstorybis93.png

The princess of Hytopia got cursed, can't wear fancy clothes anymore. Three adventurers who look like the great hero assemble to deal with the royal fashion crisis. Off you go.

tfhgameplaykjs85.png

If cooperation is key, then coordination is the keyhole (yikes, that analogy was terrible). Unlike in Four Swords, you have to move each Link individually in singleplayer as the Links you are not controlling are immobile husks until you switch to them. In multiplayer you communicate with your teammates via icons on the touch screen to coordinate and solve dungeons.

The game's main mechanic is the Totem maneuver, which lets you stack all three Links on top of each other to reach higher places or hit out of reach enemies or objects.

There is no world exploration in this game, it's strictly Zelda dungeon crawling, puzzle solving and fighting. You pick a mission in Hytopia and then enter one of eight zones in the Drablands with 32 dungeons (split in four levels) total. Completing a dungeon nets you rare materials that you can use to craft new costumes (dungeons can be replayed at any time). Before entering a dungeon, you get to pick an item for each Link from a preset selection that is suitable for that particular dungeon.

Item List:
Bomb
Boomerang
Bow
Fire Gloves
Gripshot
Gust Jar
Hammer
Water Rod

Drablands Challenge:
After beating all an area dungeons in an area, players can take on an additional challenge by activating the Drabland Challenge for a dungeon. These include finishing a dungeon with fewer hearts or being limited to specific items. This increases your chance of receiving better rewards.

tfhmultiges8w.png

In multiplayer, everyone shares a lifebar. One player gets hit, everyone loses a heart. So trolling is a bad idea. Cooperation and coordination are of the utmost importance. Unless you hate everyone. You coordinate by communicating directives via the preset icons on the touch screen.

3ds_thelegendofzeldatzouzy.png

You can play locally either via wireless play with everyone having a copy or make use of the single-cart download play support where only one player needs the game to play with two friends. You can also play online with friends or random players. However, online play is locked by region (EU+AU / JP / NA). The key thing is, you HAVE to have three human players to play multiplayer. You cannot play with two humans and one CPU, for example. Thus, if you only have one partner to play with online, you'll have to fill one spot with a random player. If a player drops out during a session for whatever reason, the remaining players can look for another player to replace them or end the session. You also cannot mix local + online players.

There's also an additional battle arena mode called Coliseum, reminiscent of the StreetPass feature in A Link Between Worlds. Here, players can face off against each other (either simple 1v1 or 1v1v1) in eight arenas with their costumes and fight to win sought after materials not found anywhere else. The Coliseum is not accessible with Download Play, every player needs their own copy of the game.
gameplay486l4l.jpg

tfhcostumes0esjh.png

You can outfit your Link with ability-enhancing costumes before entering a dungeon. by collecting materials earned from completing dungeons or by simply buying them from the market in Hytopia (they get updated via SpotPass), you can get more costumes from Madame Couture's shop. That's this wild old lady, by the way.

Costume List
  • Heroe's Tunic: standard outfit
  • Timeless Tunic: Blocky Link, 8bit music
  • Tri Suit: combined effects of Lucky Loungewear and Energy Gear if all three Links wear it
  • Goron Garb: Fire resistant
  • Zora Costume: Can swim super fast
  • Kokiri Clothes: Can shoot three arrows
  • Legendary Dress: Increased heart drops by enemies
  • Big Bomb Outfit: Bigger bombs!
  • Lucky Loungewear: Increased chance of dodging enemy attacks
  • Cheetah Costume: Move faster
  • Cacto Clothes: Enemies who touch you will take damage
  • Fire Blazer: Shoots three fireballs from Fire Gloves (one big, two normal ones)
  • Dapper Spinner Kit: perform a spin attack by pressing B three times
  • Jack of Hearts: Gain an extra heart container
  • Queen of Hearts: Gain three extra heart container
  • Boomeranger: Boomerangs damage enemies (not just a stun!) and pass through them
  • Cozy Parka: No more slipperiness on ice
  • Tingle Tights: Gives you three balloon that save you from falling into pits once per balloon
  • The Serpent's Toga: Turn into invulnerable stone when standing still
  • Dunewalker Duds: Quicksand won't bother you anymore
  • Gust Garb: Make gusts go farther
  • Light Armor: You emit light
  • Ninja Gi: Dash attack with 3x damage
  • Bear Minimum: Double health loss. -1 Heart Container.
  • Torrent Robe: Doubles the radius of the Water Rod.
  • Energy Gear: Increases your energy gauge by 50%.
  • Hammerwear: bigger Hammer, bigger shock wave and double dmg, faster swing.
  • Sword Suit: shoot sword beams at full health. Double damage
  • Sword Master: Doubles attack power and range, shoots a sword beam at full health.
  • Rupee Regalia: Doubles the amount of Rupees found in the wild.
  • Showstopper: Draws enemies' attention to you and you alone.
  • Robowear: Improves the Gripshot's speed and power.
  • Spin Attack Attire: Allows you to perform a much larger Spin Attack by holding B!
  • Cheer Outfit: Increases the energy gauge of your teammates by 50%.
  • Lady's Ensemble: Gives you an extra Heart Container, and increases Hearts' drop rate.
  • Cursed Tights: Even luckier than the Lucky Loungewear, but you receive double damage!
Added in update 2.0.0.
  • Linebeck's Uniform: Lets you see inside treasure chests before you open them.
  • Fierce Deity Armor: Shoots beams in four directions.

k9sdg.jpg

Friendship Tokens:
Playing the game cooperatively in local play or via download play, you will get a chance to earn exclusive Friendship Tokens that let you craft two special costumes. This is not available for online play.
UPDATE: From version 2.0.0., you will be able to buy Friendship Tokens at the market, too.
gameplay1k9zu9.jpg

tfhupdategbsg0.png

Update 2.0.0.
Ver. 2.0.0 [Releasing12/02/15]

Version 2.0.0

• Den of Trials will be added.
  • Over 30 stages will be unlocked in the Den of Trials (each one goes progressively deeper underground).
  • 2 new outfits will be added.
    Linebeck's Uniform: Lets you see inside treasure chests before you open them.
    Fierce Deity Armor: Shoots beams in four directions.​
  • These will be unlocked after clearing certain requirements in the game.
  • A new method for obtaining Friendly Tokens will be added.
  • Friendly Tokens can be obtained from the street vendor after Princess Styla’s curse has been lifted.
  • Miiverse stamps will be added.
  • Players with similar styles of play will be matched up (teamed up) more frequently during online play.
  • Users will be matched up with other players based on their answers to a series of questions prior to being matched up.
  • Users will be able to add other users to their blacklist if they exit the game through the pause menu during the game.
  • After their teammate exits the game, users will be able to add them to their blacklist by tapping the teammate’s Hero Panel and pressing the A (or B) button before saving the game.
  • Adjustments will also be made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.
Click here for more information on the Den of Trials and new costumes.

Software update 2.1.0: December 22nd 2015
  • Adds a new feature, hero points, that helps with progression through the game
  • Collecting hero points adds effects to the Bear Minimum Digs outfit, and you can also receive materials to create outfits you don’t have from the Street Merchant
  • Hero points can be obtained by:
  • Completing a bonus challenge or a level that you did not select during online play
  • Completing a level (regardless of what level or bonus challenge) in Local Play or Download Play
  • Introduces additional enhancements to improve the user’s experience and enjoyment

tfhlinksytsjt.png

Watch Eiji Aonuma play Tri Force Heroes and yell at development staff
Watch Eiji Aonuma (in cosplay) and Hiromasa Shikata (Game Director) play Tri Force Heroes with Japanese players during the online demo
Watch musicians record the Tri Force Heroes Main Theme (harmonica hype!)
Official NA site
Official EU Site
Review Thread

rippurplevbsz8.png

+++++++++++++++++

3DS friend code exchange:

I think it should be best to do it in a spreadsheet style on google docs.

Each region gets their own spread sheet

Like so(quote to show):
North America

Europe

if people want to use them

+++++++++++++++++

discord.jpg

Hi everyone I create the Splatoon discord voice chat server and made a small section for Tri Force Heroes. I have been playing lately and the time challenges can be difficult without voice chat. I am hoping this voice chat server can help some fellow warriors. It is simple to use, click on the invite link and download which best suits you, Android, iphone or desktop app.

The below thread has all the info on what Discord is and Iphone, Android and desktop application links. http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=174018831

Please quote to see the Discord invitation
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
QUOTE ME!!!
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Thank you.

+++++++++++++++++

Dr. Buni

Nice OT! Shame Purple Link isn't playable. Purple > Other colors.
The princess of Hytopia got cursed, can't wear fancy clothes anymore. Three adventurers who look like the great hero assemble to deal with the royal fashion crisis. Off you go
Lol, best plot ever.

cube444

Real shame as I'm buying this to play with my nieces and they love purple.

Looking forward to your impressions guys and gals.

TheMoon

Nice OT! Shame Purple Link isn't playable. Purple > Other colors.
Lol, best plot ever.

Thanks! I saw a Gamexplain thing (didn't watch) that said Purple Link might be hanging out somewhere in the game. Gonna try to find him^^

DangerMan

Banned
The game supports the c-stick on the New 3DS so it is kinda New 3DS enhanced, and I believe I read somewhere it has better textures on New 3DS too but can't find a source for that.

Was waiting for the OT. Good job OP.

2 questions. Can I play with one friend with me in the room and a 3rd person online? Also, can I have more than one save on the cartridge. (Can my brother and myself have our own separate saves and accounts?)

You can play locally either via wireless play with everyone having a copy or make use of the single-cart download play support where only one player needs the game to play with two friends. You can also play online with friends or random players. However, online play is locked by region (EU+AU / JP / NA).

Is it confirmed that Australia/New Zealand can play with Europe? I think Mario Tennis Open's region lock made it impossible.

TheMoon

Was waiting for the OT. Good job OP.

2 questions. Can I play with one friend with me in the room and a 3rd person online? Also, can I have more than one save on the cartridge. (Can my brother and myself have our own separate saves and accounts?)

Thanks! You can't mix and match local with online.

Gonna get back to you on the save slot thing. My copy is sitting here but I've not opened it ...had to do the OT lol

Is it confirmed that Australia/New Zealand can play with Europe? I think Mario Tennis Open's region lock made it impossible.

Oh? I guess I'm not sure then. I just assumed PAL is thrown into one bucket.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I don't know why but I think the Princess looks sexy in the leotard... :|

Anyway I got the game today and so far I like Hytopia and the story waaay more than Link Between World. However single player mode, while isn't bad, is nowhere close to Four swords Adventure.

I haven't tried co-op multiplayer yet as I want to finish the single player mode first but I did try out Colosseum mode, though we first had to get green Link to join in as he was messing about. ¬_¬;

Anyway Colosseum mode is fun, though I say that because I won despite the laggy connection. :p

TheMoon

The game supports the c-stick on the New 3DS so it is kinda New 3DS enhanced, and I believe I read somewhere it has better textures on New 3DS too but can't find a source for that.

Really? Totally missed that. What does the C-stick do here?!

Obviously not excited about it as I would be a main installment of course, but it's likely to be a well made game and some of the feels through the music and locations and typically fun puzzles is enough for me.

Chase17

Great job on the OT!

I'll be downloading the game tomorrow. I might have to try and go solo though since no one I know is picking it up as well. If solo is as rough as the reviews made it seem I'll probably take my chances with randoms online.

I'm excited all the sudden. New zelda game tomorrow. Hype.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Great job on the OT!

I'll be downloading the game tomorrow. I might have to try and go solo though since no one I know is picking it up as well. If solo is as rough as the reviews made it seem I'll probably take my chances with randoms online.

Solo is okay but it's slow as you have to deal with every puzzle one step at a time.

But I can see why reviewers are meh on it.

XaosWolf

YES FINALLY. Is there a friend code sharing spreadsheet up yet?

Also regarding Lilac Link being missing: unfortunately he is not one of the Goddesses' colours. =(

Each area of levels act as its own lobby so you won't get lumped with someone doing end game stuff.

And lastly now that there is an OT, just after 1st area spoiler (even if its in the OT):
Challenge Mode is awesome. Straight up CRYSTAL CHRONICLES MODE!

Chase17

Solo is okay but it's slow as you have to deal with every puzzle one step at a time.

But I can see why reviewers are meh on it.

Yeah. I imagine it might be a pain. Especially during time sensitive puzzles. Online multiplayer is also kinda scary since I saw that each player picks a level and it one gets randomly chosen.

Chase17

YES FINALLY. Is there a friend code sharing spreadsheet up yet?

Also regarding Lilac Link being missing: unfortunately he is not one of the Goddesses' colours. =(

Each area of levels act as its own lobby so you won't get lumped with someone doing end game stuff.

And lastly now that there is an OT, just after 1st area spoiler:
Challenge Mode is awesome. Straight up CRYSTAL CHRONICLES MODE!

Oh sweet. Didn't know this. That makes it better than I thought.

There are actually two "friend token" exclusive costumes in the game, the Minecraft/3D Dot Heroes looking one (3 tokens) and the Power Rangers style superhero costume (5 tokens) that apparently does something cool when you get three Links together wearing them at the same time. We haven't done that one at IGN yet, but I can't wait.

Dad

Anyone know if there are some pretty meaty dungeons or are they all pretty comparable to the three from the demo? Excited to spam emotes regardless

XaosWolf

Time Limit and Low Hearts challenges do not fuck around. You must be on point as the levels themselves are also remixed to be harder. D=

But that's it for tonight. Hopefully I can get a good group going tomorrow. =)

Anyone know if there are some pretty meaty dungeons or are they all pretty comparable to the three from the demo? Excited to spam emotes regardless

Some of the levels are definitely more involved than the demo levels, even in the first area. Whether they get longer as the game goes on, I'm not far enough to say for certain.

Why do I get the feeling that this is the new "reuse assets from the last main game to give the interns some experience" the same way NSMB2 was?

Chase17

Gamexplain has a video showing off a mysterious message found in the game (spoilers if you want to explore for it on your own). I wonder what it means!

Where is this from? Kind of interesting that it is the same hero.

Not really, because that is the dumbest reason ever. He disguised his appearance to look almost exactly the same? "Oh, and yeah, we have no clue who the other 2 dudes are." So freakin' dumb

The hoops the developers have to jump through for a stupid timeline...

Dad

Not really, because that is the dumbest reason ever. He disguised his appearance to look almost exactly the same? "Oh, and yeah, we have no clue who the other 2 dudes are." So freakin' dumb

The hoops the developers have to jump through for a stupid timeline...
Lol this is hardly jumping through hoops. It's just a fun thing for the fans

Top Bottom