• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes |OT| Purple Link just didn't stay fresh enough.

maxcriden

One more note on the update:

•New area (Den of Trials). Includes 32 levels.
•New costumes. The player needs to fulfill some conditions in order to unlock them
•Following the update, the Friendly Tokens will be available for purchase at the street merchant in Hytopia. But first, you need to lift the curse on Princess Frill/Styla (in other words, you need to beat the game).
•Miiverse stamps added.
•A new system will be added, making it easier to match up with players with a similiar playstyle to yours, when playing online. When you chose to go online, you will have to answer a question. You will then be matched up with players who came up with a answer similar to yours.
•You will be able to blacklist players who quit midgame, via the pause menu (during a game). After they’ve left, but before the game is saved, you can add them to your blacklist by press A or B while touching the Hero Panel of the player who just quit.
•Introduces additional enhancements to improve the user’s experience and enjoyment.

Stamps! Presumably new ones....

The upcoming software update also makes it more convenient to get Friendly Tokens by purchasing them from the Street Merchant once the princess’ curse has been lifted.

thankyoufaroreuapw6.gif

ShadowOwl

•Following the update, the Friendly Tokens will be available for purchase at the street merchant in Hytopia. But first, you need to lift the curse on Princess Frill/Styla (in other words, you need to beat the game).
YES! YES!

Peltz

Just started playing this today with online random people. It's absolutely fantastic! Best online experience I've had in quite some time.

I actually really like that they didn't include voice chat and used the symbols. I feel like it prevents people from spoiling puzzles for others.

Man after having a few good days I had to give up on Tri Force Heroes today after maybe 20 minutes of trying to do 7-2 and either having someone disconnect when their stage wasn't pick or a general disconnect mid way though

:|

thomaser

I wasn't very interested in this game, which is rare for me since Zelda is my favourite series. Bought it anyway because it's Zelda. And... it blew me away. This is the most fun I've had with a game for a long, long time. It helps that I have friends who are willing to play almost every evening. But playing with randoms is usually great fun too. I've met a troll only once. Stellar game, can't wait to get the new area!

maxcriden

Man after having a few good days I had to give up on Tri Force Heroes today after maybe 20 minutes of trying to do 7-2 and either having someone disconnect when their stage wasn't pick or a general disconnect mid way though

:|

Yeah I feel your pain man. I really try not to quit almost ever.

Except 6-1. People are insanely confused trying to play that one. I did play through it a couple times but man. That third stage is brutal for peeps. It's not that tough of a puzzle but the coordination required is like trying to shepherd those centipedes from Centipede blind.

Raiden

Banned
Quick question can you play locally with 2 players? Want to play this with my gf but i read in the op that you need 3 players for multiplayer? Also scores seem to be a bit low for a Zelda. Whats the general consensus on Gaf?

hazukash

Quick question can you play locally with 2 players? Want to play this with my gf but i read in the op that you need 3 players for multiplayer? Also scores seem to be a bit low for a Zelda. Whats the general consensus on Gaf?

Two-player local/download play is impossible, but two players with their own copies can go online and search for a partner to complete their team. I'm playing locally (download play) with my boyfriend, but we have a third 3DS. We chose to use the extra 3DS as a third player as we only have one copy of the game. It's a pain switching handhelds, but I'd rather do that than playing online with strangers who quit in the middle of a stage. Also, two moving Links with their own brain do better than one Link and two dummies like in single player, which I find tedious and boring. Sadly, I think this is the worst Zelda game after The Adventure of Link and it deserves its mediocre score. I do have fun, but it's just really hard to truly enjoy the game when you don't play locally. I do wish Nintendo would allow two-player local + one dummy, it shouldn't be hard to do. I'd give it a better review if such an update came out.

Craft

Two-player local/download play is impossible, but two players with their own copies can go online and search for a partner to complete their team. I'm playing locally (download play) with my boyfriend, but we have a third 3DS. We chose to use the extra 3DS as a third player as we only have one copy of the game. It's a pain switching handhelds, but I'd rather do that than playing online with strangers who quit in the middle of a stage. Also, two moving Links with their own brain do better than one Link and two dummies like in single player, which I find tedious and boring. Sadly, I think this is the worst Zelda game after The Adventure of Link and it deserves its mediocre score. I do have fun, but it's just really hard to truly enjoy the game when you don't play locally. I do wish Nintendo would allow two-player local + one dummy, it shouldn't be hard to do. I'd give it a better review if such an update came out.

Hopefully they'll sort this out in the upcoming DLC. Ideally we need:
- 2 player local, 1 dummy that either player can switch to.
- 2 player on-line, 1 dummy (possibly as a friends only feature).
- 2 player local and 1 download play.
- 1 player local, 1 download play and 1 dummy,
- 1 player local, 1 download play and 1 on-line (but I'm not sure if this is actually possible).

TheMoon

Be advised that info in the OP is not fan fiction.

maxcriden

Adamator, PM me if you want to do some drablanda challenges on any early world you've beaten.

Man, world 7 is nuts. The collaboration and thoughtfulness of item usage is wonderful. Those who complain about Nintendo doing too much hand-holding should really play this game.*

*and try to 100% most of the Nintendo games they're complaining about, but I digress

maxcriden

As much as I malign randoms at times, sometimes they're the ones teaching me how to proceed through an area. Beat 7-1 and 7-4 this evening. Feels good! The World 7 boss was surprisingly doable.

Sly, any time you want to team up, let me know.

ash_ag

I'm on my sixth attempt to beat Water Temple (2-4) with randoms and, wow. Four out of those six times, we had someone either call it quits or troll the game to the point someone else quit. The other two times we reached Arrghus only to have a connection error occur -- in the first case, it was just half a second before delivering what I assume was the final blow on the boss.

I'm insanely tolerant with these things. I rarely complain about lag, waiting times, or even trolls. But to have barely played 8 different stages in over 10 hours and having such hard time moving forward is just too frustrating. I don't mind playing with randoms in principle -- in fact, good groups are incredibly satisfying -- but this system is flawed.

Even before combinations of friends and randoms being possible, I think the #1 mistake of the system is that there is a separate replay-for-more-rewards mode. If Bonus Challenges were somehow integrated in the core game, I don't think it would have been so hard to find a proper group to play with. That applies backwards as well -- there isn't enough incentive to replaying old stages outside Bonus Challenges. I've never quit a game for no reason (like one of the players just joking around), but I completely understand why some might.

Sorry for this little rant, but I'm really disappointed by how technicalities affect this game so severely. Frankly, I haven't progressed to the later stages, and I can already tell Tri Force Heroes's design is masterful. Both stages and mechanics are so tight and well-made, and the times I managed to join good groups were full of joy. It's a real shame that most players won't be able to enjoy the game as much as it deserves.

Sly, any time you want to team up, let me know.
Sounds good.
I always do not mind Gaffers on my friend list.

Also I had mostly good luck with randoms. When you get a team that works together, it is great. Wish the game handled drop connections better. Like you get a random common material instead of money.

Edit: I done 2-4 3 times so I can help if you need it.

Ansatz

I'm on my sixth attempt to beat Water Temple (2-4) with randoms and, wow. Four out of those six times, we had someone either call it quits or troll the game to the point someone else quit. The other two times we reached Arrghus only to have a connection error occur -- in the first case, it was just half a second before delivering what I assume was the final blow on the boss.

I'm insanely tolerant with these things. I rarely complain about lag, waiting times, or even trolls. But to have barely played 8 different stages in over 10 hours and having such hard time moving forward is just too frustrating. I don't mind playing with randoms in principle -- in fact, good groups are incredibly satisfying -- but this system is flawed.

Even before combinations of friends and randoms being possible, I think the #1 mistake of the system is that there is a separate replay-for-more-rewards mode. If Bonus Challenges were somehow integrated in the core game, I don't think it would have been so hard to find a proper group to play with. That applies backwards as well -- there isn't enough incentive to replaying old stages outside Bonus Challenges. I've never quit a game for no reason (like one of the players just joking around), but I completely understand why some might.

Sorry for this little rant, but I'm really disappointed by how technicalities affect this game so severely. Frankly, I haven't progressed to the later stages, and I can already tell Tri Force Heroes's design is masterful. Both stages and mechanics are so tight and well-made, and the times I managed to join good groups were full of joy. It's a real shame that most players won't be able to enjoy the game as much as it deserves.

Use the blacklist feature to filter out severe laggers and of course the trolls. If you can tell that TFH's design is masterful based on the first two worlds on normal mode you're in for a treat.

maxcriden

I feel your pain, ash_ag, and I've definitely been there during this game. It's so splendid though that I keep moving past my frustration, as plentiful as it's been here and there. At this point I can mostly laugh about it. I try to get inside the heads of some of these randoms, like if we're on level 2 or 3 of a dungeon and have a really minor setback and someone quits...I try to tell myself they must be a kid, or something really did urgently come up in their life...because the thought of actually suddenly quitting almost ever in this game is really mystifying to me. But I'm sure that might just be wishful thinking. Anyway, please stick with it if you can tolerate it. If you like the first two worlds, the subsequent ones are going to just blow you away with their awesomeness. Also, if you're in NA I'd gladly play Drablands challenges with you anytime. (Unfortunately, as you said there isn't a lot of incentive to replay regular levels. I've done it a bunch of times and usually don't quit when one is selected, but I only have so much time to game so I'm trying to avoid replaying the regular levels because I'd like to 100% the game within the next few weeks so my wife can play it during her school break...since there's only one save file.)

Oh, and Ansatz said, definitely use the blacklist feature liberally. And with the new patch you'll be able to blacklist people after they've quit, too!

Sounds good.
I always do not mind Gaffers on my friend list.

Also I had mostly good luck with randoms. When you get a team that works together, it is great. Wish the game handled drop connections better. Like you get a random common material instead of money.

I agree about the dropped connections, but I think people would abuse it too easily. So they want to give rupees instead I suppose. It's really just a consolation prize, but at least you get to keep the rupees earned during the stage as well.

Let's FC it up!

ash_ag

I feel your pain, ash_ag, and I've definitely been there during this game. It's so splendid though that I keep moving past my frustration, as plentiful as it's been here and there. At this point I can mostly laugh about it. I try to get inside the heads of some of these randoms, like if we're on level 2 or 3 of a dungeon and have a really minor setback and someone quits...

Oh, I'm absolutely on the same boat. Despite some of the frustration I had to go through with 2-4 (which I finally managed to beat :p), I can still say with no doubt that it was worth it. When the game works, it's an absolute bliss. I'm definitely carrying on full steam ahead!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've tried not to use the Blacklist so far, but I'll definitely have it in mind moving forward. From what I can tell, it's possible to clear it if you feel like it, which is a good thing. I'll keep on playing with Unknown Heroes for a while, but once I start with the Bonus Challenges, I'll be checking with GAF! Bit of a shame that it's region locked (I'm in EU), but hopefully there's enough of us for each region. :p

I'd like to 100% the game within the next few weeks so my wife can play it during her school break...since there's only one save file.)

I think the digital version effectively allows to have multiple save files via the backup function, though I assume you have a physical copy. Would have been really nice if it was possible to restore saves from system to cart. Still, at least you can backup your save on 3DS just for the heck of it. :)

maxcriden

Oh, I'm absolutely on the same boat. Despite some of the frustration I had to go through with 2-4 (which I finally managed to beat :p), I can still say with no doubt that it was worth it. When the game works, it's an absolute bliss. I'm definitely carrying on full steam ahead!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've tried not to use the Blacklist so far, but I'll definitely have it in mind moving forward. From what I can tell, it's possible to clear it if you feel like it, which is a good thing. I'll keep on playing with Unknown Heroes for a while, but once I start with the Bonus Challenges, I'll be checking with GAF! Bit of a shame that it's region locked (I'm in EU), but hopefully there's enough of us for each region. :p

I think the digital version effectively allows to have multiple save files via the backup function, though I assume you have a physical copy. Would have been really nice if it was possible to restore saves from system to cart. Still, at least you can backup your save on 3DS just for the heck of it. :)

Oh, that's a good tip. Thanks so much. I wonder, can I do that with a digital eShop game like BOXBOY! as well?

Sorry to hear we can't play together. I hope you can find some good EU peeps, or just move to NA. :D

Enjoy the game, man, you've got some awesome stuff coming up in it!!

TheMoon

Sorry to hear we can't play together. I hope you can find some good EU peeps, or just move to NA. :D

I know it's a joke but just to be clear: the region lock isn't IP based but based on the game/system ID. Doesn't matter where you are in the world, your system and game are still talking to the EU servers.

maxcriden

I know it's a joke but just to be clear: the region lock isn't IP based but based on the game/system ID. Doesn't matter where you are in the world, your system and game are still talking to the EU servers.

Yes. I was definitely joking, but it's probably good to clarify. All we need is for ash to get himself an NA region 3DS. :)

The online "community" for this game is terrible, it's already the second time just today that one of the players stops doing anything in the middle of a game. It sucks so much fun out of it, it shouldn't take 3-4 tries into one level just to finish it because people don't know how to behave in an online game. At least playing alone I don't have to deal with that I guess. =\

bart64

Banned
Had the best time with this just now--beat a challenge level after about six attempts with the same group. Only played a few levels but I havent had a horrible player yet. Once i was the one that didnt get it but my party was kind enough to stick around. Sorry for the bad luck for some of you, I'm beyond impressed with all the cool mechanics in this, even the graphics look great in real life.

Andyliini

I just beat the game. I played trough most of the game as single player, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The final boss proved out to be quite a challenge, but other than that, it went great.

Now, I have played a couple of rounds with Download Play, and the game says I can carry over the data. In the manual, it's said that the captain can do it for you, but even after finishing the game, he won't do it. What do I have to do in order for him to transfer the data for me?

I have played as a Download Play Guest about once ot twice.

Man fuck getting fairy dust, I can do the water temple orb quick challenge by myself I have it down to a science, but I've gotten the rare item 3 times :(

Forgot to post about it but just wanted to pop in and say I 100%ed the game with unknown heroes online! It was a long journey with many disconnects and errors and someone who disconnected right at the end of the level with the name "DealW/I" which made me LMAO but I along with many true heroes managed to defeat all 128 challenges.

Full Game Started Tuesday November 3rd 2015 2:43 PM
Full Game Finished Thursday November 5th 2015 3:37 PM
Play Time: 13:31
100% Online Co-Op Finished on Sunday November 15th 2015 11:07 PM
100% Play Time: 67:41

I won't have internet next month since sadly we have to use all our money to move/eletricity. So I'll miss out on the new levels. I hope the servers aren't dead when I return (hopefully in January) since it was already starting to become hard to find people I guess due to low sales and region lock. But if the online is completely dead next time I play, the just let me say 100%ing the game online was one of the most fun things I have ever experienced, and if any of you played with "AbbyVamp" then thanks for the fun!

Well atleast no online next nonth will give me time for the single player 100% run. D:

ss-hikaru

Oh, and Ansatz said, definitely use the blacklist feature liberally. And with the new patch you'll be able to blacklist people after they've quit, too!

OMG yes, I always thought it was a bit weird you couldn't blacklist the serial quitters. There was one time I got the stage I wanted and one dude immediately quit. So I went back online and ended up in the same room as him....and got the stage I wanted again hahaha. Then he proceeded to troll us, I thought that was weird, instead of wasting his time why didn't he just quit immediately like before? But at least I was able to block him the second time :)

Anyone got the Triforce Heroes 3DS theme yet? I think it released Friday but I keep forgetting to go theme store and look it up XD Not that the theme shops gives me the details I want...the bgm is what makes/breaks a theme for me and they don't let you preview that -_-

Can someone tell what to do during the Water Temple Quick Orb challenge? No one I've meet seems to know how to do it.

I've done it multiple times single player, make sure you have the water rod upgrade suit

Room 1: two links go left, one goes right, enhance water robe guy throws orb onto water pillars as he moves across room

Room 2: use the ehnance water rod to kill all enemies before attempting to lower the water or move the orb, use your 3 person totem to get the orb down (use the middle link to throw), use the hook shot to get the orb over the water, throw the orb up to the exit platform before raising the water

Room 3: have water rod carry the orb to the middle platform where your hook shot dopples go get the raft, use the raft to bring the key over to the door, use the water rod to bring the orb over

Room 4: skip, if you're going for fairy dust skipping this room is fine as you'll only lose the rainbow coral. This fight is tought to coordinate with dopples with only 1 minute

maxcriden

Cam anyone pretty please help me out with 8-3? It's so hard to get anyone to play anything but the first or last level in that world, and it's the last level I need to complete the main game. 😟

Zero_IYAD

This is NOT how you beat dragons xD
You'll have tons of trouble with the challenges later.

Edit: Hope that cleared all levels for you maxcriden.
Let me know whenever you need any help : )

Top Bottom