• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes |OT| Purple Link just didn't stay fresh enough.

maxcriden

No trouble getting matches, but the new lag is borderline unplayable. What the hell is up with Nintendo having fine connection before a patch and than completely screwing it up with a patch!?

New lag? Ah, man. I'm sorry to hear it. Are there widespread reports of this on Miiverse? Lag is the worst....

-shadow-

I haven't checked yet, but the game was incredibly laggy and twice was the group disbanded due too how long there wasn't a stable connection. I've never had this before the update :(

Joqu

Well I never used to have any trouble at this hour but I still haven't been able to find a team of three as of the update.

Also had three disconnects at the lobby in a row. I don't think it was on my end and judging on the lack of lag before the disconnect it wasn't on the other people either. Great. If this doesn't get better they pretty much ruined the game for me with this patch. :/

Fluxdyne

I beat most of the floors in the Den of Trials by myself(single player)... much easier than playing with random people.
Overall I enjoyed the update, I just wish it came sooner.

maxcriden

Blegh. Getting partners is definitely slower with this update...though...I have to say, they are generally better. So it's a bit of a catch-22. Maybe it's because I'm fighting a mildly brutal migraine at the moment, but...I'm asking myself how much more TFH I have in me. I've enjoyed the game immensely, and I did a few Drablands Challenges today which was fun, but...I've put nearly 30 hours into the game so far, and these days I haven't really gone for 100% on games as much due to time constraints, other games asking for my attention...the backlog is kinda long and with this game it feels a bit like now or never with getting partners, especially for Challenges where there's a pool selected from the pool of challenges from the pool of playstyles from the pool of available worlds. ;__: I dunno. I shouldn't force myself to 100% the game I guess because that'd suck the fun out of it I'm sure, though I really did want to. Hrm....

Regardless, I strongly recommend the game in online MP for the experience of playing through the game start to finish. Not sure yet if I'll go back for the rest of the challenges (I have the vast majority still to do) or the Den of Trials.

Symtendo

Does anyone know of Australian and EU people can play online together?

If so, do any Australian players fancy playing later on tonight (I live in Oz now but have my EU system). I'm on world 4 and want to work my way through the normal levels.

Failing that, do any EU people want to do the same?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Tried the demo (v1.0) this past week and was absolutely sold on the game - teaming up was instantaneous and the three or so levels we played were lagless. I'm actually considering upgrading to a n3ds for this gem solely - depth perception in the game is essential, and I tend to tilt my 3ds a lot while playing it, so face tracking helps a lot.

Since the update I can't seem to connect with many people at all. I usually end up waiting by myself then just closing the 3ds and doing something else. :/

KJA

The Den of Trials update is every bit amazing as it is frustrating. It makes the main campaign seem like a cakewalk, when you consider the fact that you only have one fairy to start off with.

I played it completely with random people and I was literally on the verge of ripping my 3DS apart. If there is one thing that you should know about this game, it should be you can always depend on one person to fuck it up.

KJA

Since the update I can't seem to connect with many people at all. I usually end up waiting by myself then just closing the 3ds and doing something else. :/

That's odd.

If anything, I think the update improved the game for me significantly. When it first game out, it was such a lag fest but with the newest update, I get connected to other players almost instantly after talking to the old guy.

Went in to try den of trials. Met with a twenty minute wait to get a third player and lag up the wazoo only for it to disconnect on the ninth floor.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Durock

The ninth floor can be incredibly difficult. It can be hard enough making it to the boss, much less actually defeating. Played with a couple of people for three hours on Sunday and we just couldn't do it.

Fast forward to Monday morning, another 2 players and myself started from the beginning and went through all 9 floors without a single Game Over within an hour.

Idk how to explain it, but we had this perfect chemistry and understanding of what needed to be done and we did it. The final boss was even a complete pushover! Defeated within about 15-30 seconds. The entire experience was incredible and the most fun I've had with the game.

maxcriden

About the new update. I've found that when I'm slow and steady I get connected instantly. When I say I'm swift it now takes longer to get connected. With that said, the swift group generally seem better, though this isn't a universal rule as last night I got a really good group from slow and steady. We made it to the final floor (!!) after maybe 7+ hours I spent on Sunday getting to the final zone (partly because of difficulty and some hard-fought victories after multiples attempts of the same zone, and partly because of having a hard time at times getting matched with a team who could start where I was at in the Den of Trials). Anyway. We made it to the final floor and died after some crazy lag. Which FWIW I haven't been experiencing much at all since the update and never really had more than a handful of times, relatively speaking, in playing the game in general. So on our last fairy we got crushed. I think there was lag then, too. But we made it partway on that floor. The end was in sight. It was a really good team and we has already progressed from an attempt where we had only made it to floor 3. I had to go to bed but I felt bad because we were so close to victory I could taste it. Hopefully today or tomorrow I can prevail.

After that I think I'm hanging up the cap and tunic for good. I have most of the challenges left to do and while I loved the game and my time with it, I've spent 35 or so hours in it at this point from what I'm estimating and I figure that the challenges are going to be difficult and frustrating to me, especially having to both be really ezxellent at them to beat them all and to have to get good teams for them, and I could see that frustration kinda taking away from my enjoyment with the game otherwise. I do really like 100%ing games but I think this is one where I can say I'll have seen all the new content the game has to offer and if I don't get through the challenges I won't be missing out on significant new content as far as I know.

My tip with the update would be that if you're having difficulty finding players with the swift option, try the slow and steady one instead.

Also, I just got the ruppee regalia and I can't strongly urge y'all to get it ASAP if you haven't. You can farm crazy rupees just in the town.

maxcriden

Oh. I forgot to post and say I got a good team and we beat the Den of Trials the other day. Felt so good. I'm all done with my TFH time now, and I'll delete my save file so my wife can play the game.

ss-hikaru

I haven't had much luck recently with randoms so been doing a lot of the challenges in single player and it's pretty fun XD I like not having the stress of other people expecting you to know how to solve the puzzles immediately. I need to think through these things leisurely by myself for max enjoyment I guess :p

This game is really great. The times when you team up with randoms and you just click are magical, when you play with friends with voice chat it's just down right fun, when you complete stages/challenges in single player it feels really rewarding and running around town with the rupee regalia is sooo therapeutic haha. And I'm only up to fortress LOL!

ash_ag

I'm taking my time with the game, and after about a month I've almost beat World 5 (only 5-1 left, ironically :p). My initial response was more of a rant about how hard matchmaking is, but after playing quite a bit, I feel like highlighting how insanely fun it is when you find yourself a great party!

That's exactly what just happened to me right now with 5-3. This game shines when you're able to feel the synergy of players and all the interactions while trying to get through a challenge. Plus, level design is truly marvelous. I don't think I've ever played a better designed action co-op game.

Frankly, TFH is a bit of an oddity that could only happen because of the current circumstances of Nintendo's platforms. Hard as it is to get used to the frustrations of matchmaking, it's all worth it. I'm really glad that it exists instead of a repeat of the previous 3DS game's motif, as it was more or less with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Unfortunately, I'm sure a lot will miss out on it, but it's good to see Nintendo tries such ideas nonetheless.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Just beaten the Den of Trials. Wow, that last level was tough. I hope there's more DLC so I can make good use of this awesome new outfit.

zigg

Just got this yesterday for (early) Christmas. My son (who doesn't really like action games much) is a bit frustrated, my Zelda-loving daughter really wants to play it, and I'm just sitting here wishing there was a single-dopple mode that worked with Download Play. 😢

It is a cool game though.

gerudoman

I'll give the update a go but unfortunately I don't think it'll fix the game for me. I already got tired of terrible players, lag and connection errors, and the game isn't that great either.

TheMoon

Here’s the list of changes for Ver. 2.1.0 of The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes:

adds Hero Points, a new element meant to help players complete the game;
fixes various issues, in order to improve the gameplay experience;
introduces additional enhancements to improve the user’s experience and enjoyment.

What are Hero Points, exactly? They are points you can get when you end up on a level you didn’t vote for in Online Play, or when you play in Local or Download Play. If you do, and complete the level together with the other players, you will be rewarded with those precious Hero Points. If you collect enough points, you can go talk to the street merchant and get some rewards(such as materials, special poweres, and more).

For example, if you get 30 hero points, the Bear Minimum Digs will get extraordinary powers. However, said powers will go away if you “wander astray” (in other words, if you don’t finish levels with other players anymore). Of course, you can restore those powers if you collect more Hero Points.

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/z...-update-available-ver-2-1-0-adds-hero-points/

huh

official patch notes: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...ftware-update-December-22nd-2015-1077925.html

Software update 2.1.0: December 22nd 2015

Adds a new feature, hero points, that helps with progression through the game
Collecting hero points adds effects to the Bear Minimum Digs outfit, and you can also receive materials to create outfits you don’t have from the Street Merchant
Hero points can be obtained by:
Completing a bonus challenge or a level that you did not select during online play
Completing a level (regardless of what level or bonus challenge) in Local Play or Download Play
Introduces additional enhancements to improve the user’s experience and enjoyment

maxcriden

I like the hero points idea. (I'm done with the game though so I'm thinking more for my wife's enjoyment since I erased my save file.) The only IMO unwise idea is taking away Hero point powers if you leave levels. Sometimes life gets in the way and more importantly sometimes.es the internet connection is dreadful because of you or another player. I think the hylian carrot of Hero point benefits is enough so that the kokiri stick of having those benefits taken away from you isn't necessary. 😜 especially since the blacklist feature already exists.

TheMoon

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkuCmCdKg

3tv6y4ibxyjc3_happy_face.png
[Introducing hero points] Hi everyone, I'm Eiji Aonuma, producer of The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes.

I'm here to let you know that we're distributing a new update to the game starting today! With this update, heroes who finish a level in Online Play that they didn't vote for (or voted "I can't decide!") will now be awarded "hero points".

Collecting lots of these points will enable a righteous hero to receive just the right materials to create outfits that they don't have yet, to help them fill in the gaps in their collection! It's a system designed to make outfits easier to make the more you play!

Also, depending on your point total, that shabbiest of shabby outfits, the "Bear Minimum Digs" (also known as simply the "Bear Minimum"), may become supercharged! I can bear-ly contain my excitement!!! It's just a little token of my appreciation for all the hardworking righteous heroes out there.

And of course, heroes who play levels to completion in Local Play will also get hero points, so I hope this helps everyone enjoy Tri Force Heroes even more this Holiday season and in the coming year!

That's all for now - have a great New Year, everyone, and don't forget to play some The Legend of Zelda games in 2016!

Zero_IYAD

Hero Points might be a good way to get Friendly Tokens if they actually give access to them.

Sadly these updates aren't so useful to us who got the game on day 1 & already cleared the game 100%.
I just got the last outfit last night, so Hero Points won't really matter to me.
Still a good addition to new players & those who still have lots of outfits to grab.

maxcriden

The game has been giving me the middle finger for five days straight now. I just need ONE more Friend Token... nothing lol.

I don't think I got a single Friend Token after the first update day and I definitely played a few days after that. Blegh. I really wanted that Timeless Tunic.

BTW, anyone found the complete OST anywhere yet? I've only found bits and pieces. I want those ball game songs as recordings without the sword swipes of the ball in-between each one....

Hero Points are a nice step in the right direction, but we still need an option to just pick a level and wait for a lobby to fill up. It's a royal pain in the ass to have to keep replaying and replaying levels you already finished so you can play the third or fourth level of an area.

People are too hardcore, or I'm just not hardcore enough. Seems they want to start from the first level and clear an entire area every time they sit down to play.

maxcriden

Hero Points are a nice step in the right direction, but we still need an option to just pick a level and wait for a lobby to fill up. It's a royal pain in the ass to have to keep replaying and replaying levels you already finished so you can play the third or fourth level of an area.

People are too hardcore. Seems they want to start from the first level and clear an entire area every time they sit down to play.

Yeah, those people have moderately unreasonable expectations given the lobby system. They don't bother me nearly as much as the occasional troll, though. That was by far the lowlight of my time with this (wonderful) game. I really, really don't want to sit around and watch someone go from platform to platform with cuccos in 8-1 over and over just to be obnoxious. I don't mind some light trolling but it could get kinda tedious on occasion.

ETA: and I totally agree in re: your proposed level selection option. It would have been a really great option to have available. I also think the challenges are not built for online MP just in general. I think for one thing, it should be like Captain Toad where there are challenges that you can get credit for "accidentally" completing your first time through a level. It just isn't practical IMO to beat all the game's challenges with randoms.

zigg

How often is playing online terrible? I've been super-busy this week, and it sounds like the kids want to play tonight, but I'm sure I won't be able to get through it with them just because of the three-player requirement.

Also, is it too late to join the Discord server? Invitation has expired. I can't promise I'll actually be around for anyone but hey.

maxcriden

How often is playing online terrible? I've been super-busy this week, and it sounds like the kids want to play tonight, but I'm sure I won't be able to get through it with them just because of the three-player requirement.

Playing online is terrible 10% of the time at most in my experience. It's alright 50% of the time, and very good or better 40% of the time. I strongly recommend generally selecting the "slow and steady" playstyle option. Lobby wait time is shorter and the teams are generally almost as good IMO. When you get into the endgame though I think sometimes it's worth switching to the "swift as an arrow" playstyle.

zigg

I recall reading that Tri Force Heroes will store data on the SD card for Download Players so they can use it between games and have it later when they purchase the game, but is any data saved on the card at all? Is it possible for people to share a card, like in Fantasy Life, with all data saved to the SD card?

maxcriden

I recall reading that Tri Force Heroes will store data on the SD card for Download Players so they can use it between games and have it later when they purchase the game, but is any data saved on the card at all? Is it possible for people to share a card, like in Fantasy Life, with all data saved to the SD card?

I'm moderately sure the main save data is stored on the cart. Hopefully someone can come in and confirm....

drspeedy

I'm playing this in single player (only have cellular data right now) and its.... Ok. Seems like the game was definitely built with a strong focus on online play, and single player mode being a 'bonus' kinda thing. Completed pretty much everything in 2 days of moderate playtime.

Is it worth it to download the update and open the extra content, or will that basically just be another 1-2 hours of stuff before I'm done again?

TheMoon

I'm playing this in single player (only have cellular data right now) and its.... Ok. Seems like the game was definitely built around inline play with single player being a 'bonus' kinda thing. Completed pretty much everything in 2 days of moderate playtime.

Is it worth it to download the update and open the extra content, or will that basically just be another 1-2 hours of stuff before I'm done again?

The Den of Trials is definitely more than 1-2h. I think our co-op group spent 2 weeks on it with our daily evening session of about an hour. ^^

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question: do all players need to be on the latest 3DS firmware to play using download play, or can ununpdated consoles host/join?

also

Banned
Quick question: do all players need to be on the latest 3DS firmware to play using download play, or can ununpdated consoles host/join?
Everyone has to have the same version, so, no, those with the update can't play with those that haven't updated.

I'm playing this in single player (only have cellular data right now) and its.... Ok. Seems like the game was definitely built with a strong focus on online play, and single player mode being a 'bonus' kinda thing. Completed pretty much everything in 2 days of moderate playtime.

The update adds a new area called Den of Trials. It contains 8 new stages, with 4 floors each but all of them focus exclusively on combat and contain no puzzles. You also get 2 new costumes; Linebeck's uniform, which allows you to see what's inside the treasure chests before opening them, and
Fierce Deity Link
I cleared it in less than 3 hours. I did the first 4 stages online with 2 people that had clearly already beaten all the stages and we breezed through them in an hour. Unfortunately we got disconnected on the 5th stage. I soloed the 4 remaining stages and it took ~1h45min, and half of that was spent on the last stage trying to beat the final ''boss''.
Unlike the other areas, Den of Trials has no challenges to complete so once you're done with it there's no reason to replay it.

Oh, the update also adds the ability to buy friend Tokens from the merchant so those without local friends can finally make all the outfits... they just have to boot up the game day after day and hope the merchant sells it.

Top Bottom