• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lords of the Fallen – new screenshots and details revealed

Draugoth

Gold Member
The-Lords-of-the-Fallen_2023_01-31-23_004-1024x576.jpg

Publisher CI Games and developer Hexworks have released a new set of screenshots for The Lords of the Fallen.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

About
The Lords of the Fallen introduces an all-new, epic RPG adventure in a vast, interconnected world more than five times larger than the original game.
After an age of the cruellest tyranny, the demon God, Adyr, was finally defeated. But Gods… do not fall forever. Now, aeons later, Adyr’s resurrection draws nigh. As one of the fabled Dark Crusaders, journey through both the realms of the living and the dead in this expansive RPG experience, featuring colossal boss battles, fast challenging combat, thrilling character encounters, and deep, immersive storytelling. Will your legend be one of light… or one of darkness?
Dare to Hope.
  • Explore Vast, Interconnected Worlds – Journey across two expansive, parallel worlds in your epic quest to overthrow Adyr. While the living realm presents its own brutal challenges, untold terrors lurk in the nightmarish realm of the dead.
  • Define Your Own Legend – Fully customize your character’s appearance from a wide array of visual options, before selecting one of nine character classes. Whichever starting path you take, develop your character to your own playstyle by upgrading stats, weapons, armor, and spells.
  • Master Fast, Challenging Fluid Tactical Combat – Only those that master the deep, tactical combat can hope to survive. Choose from 100s of uniquely brutal weapons, or forgo metal for magic with devastating attacks of the arcane.
  • Unite or Fight in Online MultiplayerExperience the expansive, single player campaign alone, or invite a second player to join your adventure in uninterrupted, online co-op. But be warned – Heroes from other realms can, and will invade.
  • Wield a Device of Ungodly Power – Your lantern possesses the ungodly power to cross between worlds. Use this dark art to reach forgotten places, unearth fabled treasures, and even manipulate the very soul of your foe.
  • Rise from Death – Fall in the world of the living, and rise again… in the world of the dead. You now have one final chance to return to your living state, as all manner of hellish creature descends upon you.
Key Features
  • Embark upon two vast, parallel world—that of the living… and the dead.
  • Master a fast, fluid and challenging combat system.
  • Wield devastating magic attacks and character buffs.
  • Invite a second player to join your campaign in uninterrupted, online multiplayer.
  • Encounter a wide array of characters, eager to offer a dubious hand…
  • Fully customize your own unique character.
  • Choose from nine starting character classes, including Knight, Rogue, and Fire Apprentice.
The Lords of the Fallen is due out for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and PC via Steam in 2023.

The-Lords-of-the-Fallen_2023_01-31-23_001.jpg
The-Lords-of-the-Fallen_2023_01-31-23_002.jpg

The-Lords-of-the-Fallen_2023_01-31-23_003.jpg
The-Lords-of-the-Fallen_2023_01-31-23_005.jpg

Jennings

I'm waiting for gameplay impressions. The gameplay felt bad in the first game, and it also felt bad in The Surge 1 (I haven't yet tried Surge 2). Regardless of how good the game looks, for me it all comes down to the feel of combat and movement. Witcher 3 is another example of a game firing on all cylinders except combat. I put a priority on gameplay in my action games.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for gameplay impressions. The gameplay felt bad in the first game, and it also felt bad in The Surge 1 (I haven't yet tried Surge 2). Regardless of how good the game looks, for me it all comes down to the feel of combat and movement. Witcher 3 is another example of a game firing on all cylinders except combat. I put a priority on gameplay in my action games.
FYI, LotF 2 is a different developer from The Surge and LotF 1. Like you, I'm interested in gameplay but because they're kind of untested as devs

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Looks really cool. I hope they nail the gameplay, level design and bosses, which are key for any Souls-like. I hope a gameplay reveal is due soon.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Looking forward to it. Hope if it’s game pass day 1. The first game and other games from the developer/publisher were all on game pass at some point.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
. . .let's seem some preview sessions first. A lot of these shots look like someone trying to ape modern day DARK SOULS/ELDEN RING (wild art aesthetic that doesn't really have to make sense so much as "wow" with its visual flair). The gameplay trailer we have of this certainly shows a more confident studio, but I'm not seeing anything here that shows they aren't just aping what has worked instead of doing something new.

Bullshit. The game will look nothing like that.

I mean, we've already seen what the game looks like in motion. Some of those look like they could be in-game screenshots and some seem clearly to be artwork, but there's nothing here that looks wildly different in tone or fidelity than the gameplay trailer.

Buggy Loop

Wasn't there a souls clone by the very same name like 8 years or so ago? What is this, a remake? A new game? Not the same studio but they managed to have the same name?

.Pennywise

Banned
All the shots have some weird filmgrain like noise that makes me believe they were put under more than just one filter, most notably some heavy sharpening looking at some halos.

I'd like to see it in motion.

You don't need to do much to look better than Elden Ring.

Last edited:
I’m skeptical as hell, but hoping for the best. Good to see actual monsters. I feel like most of the bosses in the original were humanoid types. I could be mistaken though. It’s been a while.

Last edited:

Wunray

These are 100% bullshots, but it does give me hope for the direction they are going for with this game.

Banned
I’m confused. Is this a sequel? A remake? Is there a 2 on the name?

it's apparently a sequel...

the name is a pure marketing tool here. New Devs, years later when many already forgot the first one ever existed, and the feel of a reboot that changes things.

it's clever marketing.

having a 2 there would confuse many that never played the first game "do I need to play that to get the story?" etc.
the same reason why Metal Gear Solid wasn't called Metal Gear 3. 1 and 2 went popular enough, so they tried again with a name that could be the first in the series

Rush2112

Banned
People are gonna buy this game for looks and then realize that looks arent everything. Go try the original one, you'll see.

ssringo

I'm apparently one of the few that enjoyed the original. Nowhere near the greatness that is From but a decent first attempt. Apparently not the same people so that kinda doesn't matter.

Interested for sure but everything sounds a bit too good to be true. Looks nice though.

I'm going to assume those are bullshots, but at the same time, they're bullshots that are aiming for an art style/aesthetic that I very much enjoy. However, having played Lord of the Fallen 1 and The Surge 1 and 2, I'm skeptical. (Yes, I know they're not all the same developer, but they're very much related.)

Lords 1 was clunky as hell to play and the story, lore, and environments were quite bland and tropey. Surge 1 was a significant improvement in gameplay, but still on the bottom half of Souls-likes. I did, however enjoy the gritty sci-fi, Alien-like (as in the film) atmosphere. Surge 2 wasn't much different gameplay-wise from Surge 1, but story and environment was worse and felt less realistic and grounded than Surge 1 and the loss of the sense of isolation really ruined the atmosphere.

In summary, I can't give any of these games any better than a C (or 70% or 3 stars depending on your rating scale). They're all functional and if you're a fan of the Souls-like genre, you'll probably have an okay time, but they're not amazing and you probably won't have any interest in ever playing them again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom