• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lords of the Fallen to offer “seamless” co-op, unlike Elden Ring

Draugoth

Gold Member
www.theloadout.com

The Lords of the Fallen franchise returns in 2022, sporting a new coat of medieval paint. While many players will be quick to draw FromSoftware comparisons, developer CI Games isn’t afraid to take Elden Ring head on – and bring players together in the process. Co-Op mode in The Lords of the Fallen will be a straightforward process. Forget about using furled fingers, Hexworks has got your back.
According to a recent interview with Edge Magazine, Hexworks’ creative director Cezar Virtosu outlines that co-op mode will be “seamless and untethered.” Rather than use several in-game items to spawn other players, each session will co-op participants together for as long as they desire. Whereas dying in Elden Ring would send you back to your own world, The Lords of the Fallen places fallen friends into spectator mode. You’ll be able to join the battle again if your ally can safely resurrect you.

Playing with your friends will come at some cost, though. Co-op mode “aligns you with the radiant church”, an in-game faction which will call upon PvP invaders. Virtosu recommends serving “Umbral itself” which will task players with avenging the deaths of other players. However, you’ll have to fight a supremely powerful AI foe to do that.

source

anthony2690

Banned
I hope this game turns out decent.
I played through the first game, whilst it was a little janky and I dropped it for many years, I went back a few years later and ended up finishing it off for some reason.

It wasn't especially good or bad.

Hot5pur

Yes, more games should have proper co-op modes.
I want to see gameplay walkthrough for this though, the combat hasn't sold me with the hitstop animations and the feel, that's fairly essential for a game like this.

I actually really enjoyed Lords of the Fallen. Only finished it once though, never did get around to doing it with the other 2 specs. Looking forward to this for sure.

First one was dog shit. Have 0 hopes for this turning out to be good since its being made by CI which have almost never made one single good game.

First one was dog shit. Have 0 hopes for this turning out to be good since its being made by CI which have almost never made one single good game.

I looked up CI's catalog, and man, that is a big pile of crap.
I will say that I had fun with Lords. It GREATLY benefited being released in a time bereft of Soulslikes. I found it much better than the odious Bound by Flame.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm looking forward to it. LOTF wasn't a bad game, it was just a really uneven game that was trying to swing for the Soulslike fences. It was one of the first games that tried to replicate the FS formula. They got a lot right - some pretty good enemy encounters and boss fights, nice art aesthetics; but also got a ton wrong - terrible item progression system (old school, items you find later in the game are better than what you first find) that learned nothing from the FS series, horrible enemy designs (everything felt so same after the first hour or so), and a really shitty narrative.

. . .despite all that I beat the game and wasn't mad at it when it was done. It needed a surer hand guiding it. The gameplay trailer that we saw definitely has a surer and more confident hand guiding the artist design, including the enemies, but I worry from some of the hit animations we see having the same issues from LOTR nearly 10 years ago: combat that didn't feel right. The attacks in the trailer look kind of floaty and not satisfying. I guess we will see (but this year already has WO-LONG coming out and that looks amazing).

Philfrag

Banned
One of the most needlessly annoying things about Elden Ring is how the co-op works. Saying 'this is just how From do multiplayer, its the same as in Souls' isn't a satisfying answer. Co-op in Elden Ring should have been a fluid experience, if it messed with balance then From should have just countered that with a higher difficulty. What we got really just ruined the pacing of exploring that world with other people. I have a feeling it was a technical limitation with their netcode, especially in parts where you couldn't go into dungeons or caves from the overworld without needing to disconnect and reconnect on the other side.. If we can get an experience close to Elden Ring with none of those issues then I'm excited to play it

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Ubisoft was the publisher and helped fund the game in Japan.

That may be true, but UBISOFT had ZERO to do with the actual development of the game. This game was - through and through - CI Games/Deck13 regardless of any publishing deals these folks had for the game in niche markets.

fart town usa

Gold Member
One of the most needlessly annoying things about Elden Ring is how the co-op works. Saying 'this is just how From do multiplayer, its the same as in Souls' isn't a satisfying answer. Co-op in Elden Ring should have been a fluid experience, if it messed with balance then From should have just countered that with a higher difficulty. What we got really just ruined the pacing of exploring that world with other people. I have a feeling it was a technical limitation with their netcode, especially in parts where you couldn't go into dungeons or caves from the overworld without needing to disconnect and reconnect on the other side.. If we can get an experience close to Elden Ring with none of those issues then I'm excited to play it
It's easy enough once you know what to do. But yea, at first it's pretty convoluted.

I was actually talking to a friend at a Christmas party and he mentioned he might start playing ER. I mentioned that I always play in coop and he was under the impression that you can only do boss fights. I think a decent portion of the playerbase doesn't realize that you can play 99% of the game in coop.

OT, I'm stoked for this game but I really want to see some actual footage.

Last edited:
That may be true, but UBISOFT had ZERO to do with the actual development of the game. This game was - through and through - CI Games/Deck13 regardless of any publishing deals these folks had for the game in niche markets.

Soul games weren't niche in Japan at that point, so the lack of performance even at a low level for Lords of the Fallen would have had to sting quite a bit.

Shakka43

Why do these games have to make co-op such a fuckfest, just increase enemies' health bars by a percentage and let us play the god damn games with our friends quietly.

Awesome. I would love to play Elden Ring coop with a friend from start to finish. It's rather frustrating that they game puts up so many barriers when trying to enjoy it with a specific partner.

Top Bottom