• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Medium is driving me crazy and I don't understand why this wasn't picked up in reviews.

I'm so upset I bought this game. A couple hours in and its soooo boring and horrible. And your point is felt. Listening to this bland as fuck woman talk nonsense to herself w every move she makes is already old lol

anothertech

Agree 100%

Some genres it works, like action adventure or puzzle games where the dialogue helps if you looking for something too long. But not horror. Really too bad in this case.

I'm going to be checking out Tormented Souls tonight which I'm excited for. Its billed as a proper tribute to the old school SH and RE games. Also made by a Japanese dev. I'm desperate for that PS2 level of horror games. From the gameplay videos so far it looks like they don't have any talking from the main character during general game play. I thought The Medium would scratch that itch but it really doesn't.
Tormented Souls is made by a Japanese developer? I thought it was made by a Chilean developer?

I really hate games where main characters constantly talk no matter what the genre.

It's fucking game breaking. Sometimes you just want to soak in the world you're immersed in. Should be an option to put subtitles instead and even then I'm sure that would annoy me too lol

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
I'm so upset I bought this game. A couple hours in and its soooo boring and horrible. And your point is felt. Listening to this bland as fuck woman talk nonsense to herself w every move she makes is already old lol
The game makes me actually rage. I am always screaming SHUT THE FUCK UP at my TV while playing it.

Banned
this is why silent protagonists are better!

but for real, this trend among western devs is more than annoying.

N30RYU

That's a videogame format problem... you can't read the main character thoughts everytime like you could do in a book and rather making it the inner thoughts be talked to you... you have the character talk out loud to comfort himslef or reasure his thoughts.

Gladly I don't mind this at all and I understand this is just another way for the devs to tell important bits from the story... I rather have this than a narrator

Last edited:

wipeout364

It didn’t really bother me because the game is not scary at all. It’s name should not be spoken in the same post as Silent Hill. It’s a 5 or 6 out of 10 game. It’s closer to a walking simulator than a survival horror game.

Concern

I don't know, I gave up on this shit somewhere in the hotel(?) part. Game is utter trash but so was the blair witch.

These guys have no idea wtf they want to make. Its like they got lost somewhere between a telltale game, heavy rain, and a point and click game. Shitty end result imo.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't know, I gave up on this shit somewhere in the hotel(?) part. Game is utter trash but so was the blair witch.

These guys have no idea wtf they want to make. Its like they got lost somewhere between a telltale game, heavy rain, and a point and click game. Shitty end result imo.
They seem to want to specialize in creepy thriller games that are b-tier quality with b-tier budgets. Their recent games seem to score in the 70s according to metacritic. Not a terrible studio, but a filler studio.

My bad. Very impressive that it was done by a non Japanese dev if that's the case. Give them a bigger budget and the rights to Silent Hill and I'll be all in. They make Bloober Team look like amateurs in every way.
Agreed. The game so far is definitely impressive, especially coming from an indie, non-Japanese developer. I was actually thinking the exact same thing awhile back when I played the demo. I think these guys can probably do more justice to Silent Hill, especially with a bigger budget. In all fairness though, I haven’t played the Medium yet, but I’m definitely hearing mixed things about it.

Last edited:

yansolo

blame rocksteady and batman AA for making popular what we can call "story mumbling" with low IQ audience in mind.
it's almost everywhere now

i just replayed AA and batman does not talk to himself, the only time he speaks is either in a cutscene or when hes talking to barbara, also the voice acting is 10/10 in that series

Kamina

Golden Boy
Good game design is when you can convey conext and information through gameplay and scenery.
If the main character has to talk or explain constantly its the easy way out.

tommib

Bloober Team somehow made a name for themselves but I have no fucking idea how because maybe one of their games was good. The rest were all mediocre shit, The Medium included. I need better horror games to scratch my butt. Visage was the last great horror I played in the last....5 years? Dunno when Alien Isolation came out. How hard is it to make a good horror games fucking hell.
I tried Visage but it was honestly too cryptic and scary. And I love horror. After a few hours I was absolutely lost and the house was totally dark. The controls on PS4 are super confusing.

Hydroxy

Played a couple of hours of this a few days ago. I really disliked this game. Granted m system specs were below the minimum requirement, Nvidia 1650 4gb, 16gb ram and Ryzen 5500u but the performance is very bad especially during split screen. Story was very uninteresting. Game was just boring. Deleted after 2 hours. Just didn't click with me. I actually liked Blair Witch. So they definitely missed the mark on this one.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I like it, I hate silent protagonist or mostly silent protagonist.

ZywyPL

Banned
There must be a psychological issue that some people have when game characters talk to themselves.

There's just a point where enough is enough, and sadly games nowadays greatly exceed that point. Take Deadpool movie for example - breaking the 4th wall from time to time was awesome, and rather unique in movie industry, but the sequel does that literally every 3-5min. and it just gets tiresome. Same with video games and characters talking to themselves, UC2 was perfectly balanced in that regards, but then the devs thought that more=better, and now we get constant monologues throughout the playthrough.

Top Bottom