• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT|

VN1X

Banned

Currently halfway through and apparently there's twerkers later so...

9509_abongoblob.gif

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
New ERRA!

New Unprocessed! (very different vibes from them with this one) FFO: Polyphia, Intervals, Animals as Leaders

New discovery for me!

And finally that new Killer Be Killed album rocks! Really impressed by it so far after the first listen.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned

Love me some Faceless! Shame Keene seems to be unable to keep the band together though. Anyway this is still one of my favourite songs (and Drum performances) by them:

Guy literally looks possessed at times lol.

Love the avatar btw. :lollipop_winking:

I was looking at Steel Panther tickets and they were £35! They're great but I'm not paying that.

Cool shit:

Dyscarnate are fucking amazing!

My fav song by them:

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
This is insane, an 11-min reimagining from one of their older tracks and I can't believe that at the time of posting this doesn't even have 5,000 views, let alone the amount it so very much deserves. Cmon' guys show some prog love (FFO: Periphery, Arch Echo, The Contortionist, etc)!

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oooh neat, apparently Daniel Tompkins will have an album out next month. Digging this so far so cautiously hyped!

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Not sure about this one. Alazka vocalist now joined them, apparently. The previous guy kind of made Novelists for me. :/

VN1X

Banned

“When ‘Holy Roller‘ took off, we knew that we wanted to use the follow up single as a statement to show that we are not just going to put out the same thing over and over. We wrote the music for this song at the same time as ‘Blessed Be‘ and ‘Rule Of Nines‘, but I hadn’t ever committed to lyrics.

I came to our director Dylan with a proposition: Let’s create the music video and the lyrical content of the song at the same time. We both felt compelled for the song and story to reflect the sorrow we both feel about our grandmothers passing away recently.
Due to border shut downs, I was not able to say goodbye to my grandmother Phyllis, to whom the song is in tribute, or attend her funeral. I always promised her that I would sing at her memorial service, because she always requested a “pretty song with none of that scary screaming”. I hoped writing this song with no “scary screaming” in it would help me find a sense of closure.

Dylan wrote his video concept to honour his grandmother, Constance to whom the video is in tribute. Our music videos usually have a horror element to them, and we wanted to explore a different side of horror: the horror of feeling like your mind is betraying you, due to a long battle with dementia. With Dylan’s permission, we named the song ‘Constance’ to immortalize her story.

One of my favourite bands right now coming out with another fantastic track.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

One of my favourite bands right now coming out with another fantastic track.

Erra, Spiritbox, and Novelists? Hell yeah! This thread looks awesome.

The new Novelists song is interesting. I think I like it, but I'm not sure about the excessive electronics. Still, I'm glad that they're trying something new and not just trying to make their new singer a clone of Matteo.

Ever wonder how many times metal music composers have to toss away an otherwise brilliant idea simply because they suddenly hear a garage band practicing or playing a song that has a vaguely similar set of chords?

VN1X

Banned
Aren't our Best of 2020 lists long overdue? Despite 2020 being absolutely terrible all around most of my favourite bands really stepped up their game and released some amazing stuff. It was really hard to get these down to my remaining selections as there's still plenty of fantastic material missing from here such as: The Acacia Strain, Misery Signals, Corelia, Daniel Tompkins, Polaris, Boundaries, Cabal, and many more (lists eh?). Anyway let me know what you think and I'm looking forward to seeing some of your favourite albums and tunes from 2020 as well! :lollipop_grinning_eyes:

Top 10
  1. I Am Abomination - Passion of the Heist II
  2. Protest the Hero - Palimpset
  3. Dance Gavin Dace - Afterburner
  4. Trivium - What the Dead Men Say
  5. Killer Be Killed - Reluctant Hero
  6. Orbit Culture - Nija
  7. Loathe - I Let It in and It Took Everything
  8. Currents - The Way It Ends
  9. Bring Me the Horizon - POST HUMAN SURVIVAL HORROR
  10. Make Them Suffer - How to Survive a Funeral
Runner-ups
  • Code Orange - Underneath
  • Bury Tomorrow - Cannibal
  • Sylosis - Cycle of Suffering
  • DVSR - West Technique
  • Invent, Animate - Greyview
Best EP
  1. Arch Echo - Story I
  2. Aviations - Retrospect
  3. Darko US - Pt. 1 Dethmask
Best Single Releases
  1. Spiritbox - Blessed Be
  2. Oceans Ate Alaska - Metamorph
  3. Veil of Maya - Outsider
Best Surprise
Sleep Token - Sundowning (Deluxe)

I'm putting this in here because technically this is a new release for 2020 and also because it came out of nowhere for me and absolutely blew me away. While not strictly metal they definitely incorporate a lot of elements from subgenres such as Black Metal and Post-Hardcore to create a beautiful and haunting sound. I can't wait for a proper new release from them. I think these guys can become huge.

Biggest Disappointment
Emmure - Hindsight

After their terrifc previous release I had such high hopes for this one but ultimately it simply fel flat. There's maybe two or three actual songs on this record and the rest feel like interludes or glorified intros. All in all a very lacklustre offering compared to their 2017 album which was an almost non-stop gravy train. SAD!

Last edited:
2020 for me...

Top 5

Rest without youtube links...

6. Cryptic Shift - Visitations from Enceladus
7. Ulcerate - Stare into Death and Be Still
8. Faceless Burial - Speciation
9. Spectral Lore & Mare Cognitum - Wanderers: Astrology of the Nine
10. Imperial Triumphant - Alphaville
11. Kommodus - Kommodus
12. Eternal Champion - Ravening Iron
13. Skeletal Remains - The Entombment of Chaos
14. Afterbirth - Four Dimensional Flesh
15. Pharmacist - Medical Renditions of Grinding Decomposition
16. Traveler - Termination Shock
17. Undeath - Lesions of a Different Kind
18. Cytotoxin - Nuklearth
19. Defeated Sanity - The Sanguinary Impetus
20. Cosmic Putrefaction - The Horizons Towards Which Splendour Withers
21. Akhlys - Melinoe
22. Encenethrakh - Thraakethraaeate Thraithraake
23. Havukruunu - Uinuos syomein sota
24. Black Curse - Endless Wound
25. Miasmatic Necrosis - Apex Profane
26. Voidceremony - Entropic Reflections Continuum: Dimensional Unravel
27. Ulthar - Providence
28. Napalm Death - Throes of Joy in the Jaws of Defeatism
29. Abysmal Dawn - Phylogenesis
30. Sadistic Drive - Anthropophagy
31. Atramentus - Stygian
32. Katalepsy - Terra mortuus est
33. Induced - Coproporeal
34. Molested Divinity - Unearthing the Void
35. Malokarpatan - Krupinske ohne (The Fires of Krupina)
36. MSW - Obliviosus
37. Coffin Curse - Ceased to Be
38. Plague - Portraits of Mind
39. Old Nick - The Night of the Ambush and the Pillage by the Queen Ann Styl'd Furniture, Animated By One of the Dozen or so Spells That Three Eastern Vampyre Has Studied
40. Mesarthim - The Degenerate Era
41. Gorephilia - In the Eye of Nothing
42. Cirith Ungol - Forever Black
43. Incantation - Sect of Vile Divinities
44. Edenic Past - Red Amarcord
45. Putrescent Seepage - Dead and Demented
46. Evilfeast / Uuntar - Odes to Lands of Past Traditions
47. Krallice - Mass Cathexis
48. Arsebreed - Butoh
49. Enslaved - Utgard
50. Ceremonial Bloodbath - The Tides of Blood

Also I'll include a link to my RYM list which is less up to date than this but has more entries...

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/MechaGhidorah/2020-1/

Doomtrain

1. Polaris: The Death of Me

2. Invent Animate: Greyview

3. Bring me the Horizon: Post-Human: Survival Horror

4. Make Them Suffer: How to Survive A Funeral

5. Misery Signals: Ultraviolet

6. Sleep Token: Sundowning Deluxe

7. Protest the Hero: Palimpsest

8. Fit for a King: The Path

9. Currents: The Way it Ends

10. Kingdom of Giants: Passenger

I had a weirdly difficult time finding 10 albums I loved from this year. I feel like maybe COVID slowed down the release schedule? My top 5 here are albums that I absolutely loved. 6 is an album that I loved but is secretly from last year, and 7-10 are albums that I enjoyed, but probably wouldn't have cracked my top 10 in a more abundant year.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
1. Polaris: The Death of Me

2. Invent Animate: Greyview

3. Bring me the Horizon: Post-Human: Survival Horror

4. Make Them Suffer: How to Survive A Funeral

5. Misery Signals: Ultraviolet

6. Sleep Token: Sundowning Deluxe

7. Protest the Hero: Palimpsest

8. Fit for a King: The Path

9. Currents: The Way it Ends

10. Kingdom of Giants: Passenger

I had a weirdly difficult time finding 10 albums I loved from this year. I feel like maybe COVID slowed down the release schedule? My top 5 here are albums that I absolutely loved. 6 is an album that I loved but is secretly from last year, and 7-10 are albums that I enjoyed, but probably wouldn't have cracked my top 10 in a more abundant year.
That's an amazing list. Really enjoyed that Polaris album as well but haven't listened to it enough yet. Kingdom of Giants was one of my new discoveries this year and that new record is really solid for sure!

Doomtrain

That's an amazing list. Really enjoyed that Polaris album as well but haven't listened to it enough yet. Kingdom of Giants was one of my new discoveries this year and that new record is really solid for sure!

Thanks! Your list looks awesome too. There are some albums on there I haven't checked out yet. It seems like we have very similar taste in music, so I'm excited to dive into those!

VN1X

Banned
Thanks! Your list looks awesome too. There are some albums on there I haven't checked out yet. It seems like we have very similar taste in music, so I'm excited to dive into those!
Not to stalk or anything but you got a last.fm (my profile) by any chance? Would be fun to check out our compatibility (and maybe hook up later grab a cup of coffee, suck each other off, etc).

Top Bottom