• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT|

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Anything good on the horizon? I see Jinger is back in the studio.

It must suck for a lot of bands now not being able to tour. That's where they get their money from my understanding.

Last edited:

Loke

I love when you're scouring the deep depth of YouTube and come across some really banging extreme music. Case in point Finnish tech death metal band Demilich and their 1993 album Nespithe. Holy fuck is this album groovy with crazy riffs, insane vocals -- like it came straight from the depths of hell.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I love when you're scouring the deep depth of YouTube and come across some really banging extreme music. Case in point Finnish tech death metal band Demilich and their 1993 album Nespithe. Holy fuck is this album groovy with crazy riffs, insane vocals -- like it came straight from the depths of hell.

It's been ages since I've heard this. Thanks!

Korranator

Rare for me anymore to get into Black Metal bands. The genre is just filled with too many cookie cutter bands that all sound the same. One could say the same thing with Death Metal too. However this one is one of those rare exceptions. Also, you can hear some DSO influence.

https://declineofthei.bandcamp.com/

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

A random gift from the YouTube gods. Good shit.

VN1X

Banned
new Gojira album incoming

Listened to the album once now but wasn't really captivated. I've always had time for Gojira but over the past few years I guess I've just fallen of the bandwagon a bit. They're a fantastic band no doubt but I'm not that blown away by the latest record. Maybe I'll warm up to it...

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Listened to the album once now but wasn't really captivated. I've always had time for Gojira but over the past few years I guess I've just fallen of the bandwagon a bit. They're a fantastic band no doubt but I'm not that blown away by the latest record. Maybe I'll warm up to it...
Yeah, it was an ok album, but nothing like FMTS or Magma.

Fredrik

I’m just old I guess but I don’t understand this. Competent guitars technically but nothing is in tune and then a guy starts burping into the mic. 🤨

Loke

I’m just old I guess but I don’t understand this. Competent guitars technically but nothing is in tune and then a guy starts burping into the mic. 🤨
Nespithe (and Cryptopsy's None So Vile also comes to mind) is one of those very extreme and technical types of albums that can take a while to digest. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who has never or has just started to listen to death metal. Are you into death metal much?

Fredrik

Nespithe (and Cryptopsy's None So Vile also comes to mind) is one of those very extreme and technical types of albums that can take a while to digest. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who has never or has just started to listen to death metal. Are you into death metal much?
Not really, I grew up listening to Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Pantera, a little bit of Iron Maiden just for melodies. I’ve been listening to Opeth too, I like the progressiveness, how varied their songs are. I guess that’s as far as I’ve strayed away to the dark side. But I’m not a fan of vocals at all to be quite honest, it just makes it harder to hear the guitars 😋

This is great metal for me!

I can honestly enjoy almost everything guitarbased if it’s interesting and has some nice ideas, I like when music challenge me, like Mattias IA Eklundh, which is like kids music compared to what you posted lol but listen to those sweet rolling riffs!

Last edited:

Ixion

Nespithe came out in 1993, so it's old just like you lol. But for real, the unique vocals of that album are part of the appeal because it makes for a very surreal and cosmic vibe. There's no one else that sounds like him, and when you combine the vocals with the dizzying (but still very tasty) guitar riffs, it ultimately results in an album that sounds like it's coming from another planet's underworld where you're surrounded by evil multi-dimensional alien beings or something. lol

Nespithe was one of the first Death Metal albums I got into years ago because it really sells the atmosphere and has great riffs, which helped make me understand the appeal of the genre.

Reactions: Isa

Fredrik

There's no one else that sounds like him
Maybe there is a reason for that...
Just kidding lol, we just have to agree to disagree on the quality there, and I actually had enough issues listening to early days James Hetfield singing so I’m not the person to try convert on vocals. Best Metallica songs are the instrumental ones and the garage demos where it’s just Lars and James playing and James going na-na-na before any vocals are there 😜

Guess I'm really too old for this. I mostly listen to oldies like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath...
Not like my sister doesn't try everything she can to make me listen to Opeth or Gojira - which I also enjoy from time to time - but it's just not really my cup of tea.

Loke

Meshuggah's debut album Contradictions Collapse is 30 years old. :messenger_heart: Even though I prefer their later stuff by far I will always have a soft spot for this album, basically Metallica on steroids.

VN1X

Banned
Meshuggah's debut album Contradictions Collapse is 30 years old. :messenger_heart: Even though I prefer their later stuff by far I will always have a soft spot for this album, basically Metallica on steroids.

Dude, did you hear that new VOLA track? I wasn't a fan of it at first but has since really grown on me. The part that gets me every time is the heavily inspired Meshuggah riffage that starts around 3:30, amazing build up to it as well.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
This shit's pretty legit.

CRYPTA - Starvation​

Reactions: Isa

VN1X

Banned
Just torrented that P O R T A L S concert from Tesseract and it's easily one of the best live performances I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.

Love those guys so had to get that limited edition box set that comes with a bunch of goodies.

P0802644856759_1.png

EDIT:

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Underrated thrash metal from '92. Absolutely ferocious sound.

fuck yeah i am loving this album. gonna check out the rest of their stuff. 80s and early 90s thrash was somewhat of a peak for metal. nothing sounds quite like thrashy 80s slayer or early 90s cannibal corpse. i dont know if its just that recording are too clean now or what, but there is something about the mixture of the writing, recording techniques and the imperfect audio quality that just does it for me. thanks for the new tunes! post more itt please we need to drown out the black metal weirdos 🤣 🤣 🤣

Loke

fuck yeah i am loving this album. gonna check out the rest of their stuff. 80s and early 90s thrash was somewhat of a peak for metal. nothing sounds quite like thrashy 80s slayer or early 90s cannibal corpse. i dont know if its just that recording are too clean now or what, but there is something about the mixture of the writing, recording techniques and the imperfect audio quality that just does it for me. thanks for the new tunes! post more itt please we need to drown out the black metal weirdos 🤣 🤣 🤣
I think it has a lot of to do with the mixing; I just love that raw and unpolished heavy as fuck sound that the thrash/death metal bands had back in the 80's and early to mid 90's. Much of the contemporary metal stuff just sounds too polished and clean, there's little to no rawness to it IMO. You could also call it overproduced, like they deliberately make it sound as polished as possible. It's boring. Death metal is supposed to sound like something from the depths of hell.

Another good and underrated thrash metal album from '91.

Top Bottom