• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT|

Isa

Gold Member
I too am a Metalhead, since my youth in the 80's and have been digging the ever living shit out of the scene over the years. I'm mainly into Death, Black and Thrash but not neglecting the various sub-genres and other stuff. Some may hate the retro revival going on, but it really gets me going. OSDM in particular. The new Laceration record is Tits.

Burial Invocation from Turkey is also amazing. Some serious fucking solos in there plus that Incantation vibe is solid.

Tech Death used to be my life in the late 90's into the 2k's but I've grown to other styles more. Still, some bands really catch my attention. The guitarist and bassist in First Fragment, which includes fretless bass is great stuff. Phil's lead tone is among my favorite of all time. Check the first song and Le'entite.

Tons more ofc. My banddcamp and other sites have a bunch more. Just wanted to join the fun.

Loke

Fans of Demilich's Nespithe should check out Chthe'ilist. Very similar vocals and riffing but with a more thicker atmospheric sound to it. Highly recommended if you're into that unconventional abstract sound.

I fucking love old school metalcore and mathcore. Back then, the "core" in metalcore actually meant something. Those old school bands were heavily influenced by hardcore punk, crossover thrash, heavy hardcore, D-Beat, crust punk, etc. While I do enjoy later metalcore bands, they really don't have the punk spirit of older bands. They're pretty much just melodic metal with breakdowns.

But bands like Earth Crisis, Zao, Converge, and The Dillinger Escape Plan are my shit. And Shai Hulud is my favorite of all of them. This album is a goddamn masterpiece.

Speaking of old school metalcore, I created a new playlist for bands from the early '90s-mid '00s. It's not a huge playlist right now, but I intend on adding a lot more songs going forward. If you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. Just keep in mind that the mid '00s is the cutoff for this playlist.

VN1X

Banned
I think these guys release an EP every other month but damn this shit slaps.

Geting some Aversions Crown vibes. Gotta love that chunky tone as well!

Last edited:

hlm666

Songs were posted from from Nija so i'm gonna throw this one in here just so people know orbit culture have a new ep out. These guys and Gojira are about the only reason I come out of the 80's and 90's.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Just wanted to remind everyone, this is a great fucking album. I don’t feel like it got talked about enough. Everything since Mechanize has been solid from them, imo. It’s really a perfect way to end there last 10 year run, with Bell finally quitting for good.

Tuff McNutt

Just wanted to remind everyone, this is a great fucking album. I don’t feel like it got talked about enough. Everything since Mechanize has been solid from them, imo. It’s really a perfect way to end there last 10 year run, with Bell finally quitting for good.

I've been a huge FF fan since back in 1992 when Martyr was on a Roadrunner sampler cassette. It is a really good album and I have tickets to see them and Static X in March. I can't wait, since the last time I saw them was like 6 years ago in Vegas. Really curious who the new vocalist will be.

Kev Kev

New Slipknot single.

these old guys can still throw down. im going to see them tomorrow night at rockville in daytona!!! im so stoked
Lineup-12_kl571c4gvin0f6hytaex.png

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Hoooo boy, for all the bad that's been 2021 it sure made up for in terms of the sheer volume of amazing album releases! I didn't even know where to begin to put this AOTY list together but this is my attempt (which I'm sure I won't change in the next few weeks either lol). I could've easily made a top 30 as it just feels wrong leaving out so many quality albums. However, as my pappy used to say "sometimes you have to make 'best of the year' lists and omit worthy entries" and this was such a moment... I mean even my top 5 basically all consist of #1 contenders. It's madness I tell ya', madness!

Top 10
  1. Silent Planet - Iridescent
  2. Mastodon - Hushed and Grim
  3. Darko US - Darko
  4. Spiritbox - Eternal Blue
  5. Architects - For Those That Wish to Exist
  6. Holding Absence - The Greatest Mistake of My Life
  7. Atlas - UKKO
  8. LANDMVRKS - Lost in the Waves
  9. Queen Kona - Lucid
  10. Humanity's Last Breath - Välde
Runner-ups
Volumes - Happier
VCTMS - Vol. IV Numb the Ache
Born of Osiris - Angel or Alien
While She Sleeps - SLEEPS SOCIETY
Brand of Sacrifice - Lifeblood

Honourable Mentions Because Why Not 2021 Edition (Super Not Cheating I Swear Hyper Fighting Deluxe)
Mirrors - The Ego's Weight
Archspire - Bleed the Future
Sentinels - Collapse by Design

Best EP
  1. Convictions - I Won't Survive
  2. Rogue - Phantom
  3. Orbit Culture - Shaman
  4. DeadVectors - Elemental (They put out FIVE EP's in 2021. Stop releasing so many fuckin' EP's DeadVectors!)
  5. Bloodlines - Hevel

Best Single Releases
  1. Cane Hill - Blood & Honey
  2. Advents - Relentless
  3. Darko US - Dragon Chaser (Usually I don't like to include artists I've already given the spotlight elsewhere but this track isn't featured on the album they released this year so... there!)
  4. Don Broco - One True Prince (Orchestral Version Live From Abbey Road)
  5. Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! - Bitter

Best Surprise
Queen Kona - Lucid
These guys came outta' nowhere for me and they basically sound like if Periphery and I Am Abomination would have made 4 babies together that could all sing and play instruments heavily and proggily (yes I made that word up). I love this album as it has pretty much everything I would want from the Prog genre: catchy djenty grooves combined with technical riffage that doesn't go overboard, all the while supported by soaring cleans and aggressive lows courtesy of the four vocalists. It's just great and I can't wait to hear what comes next from them.

Biggest Disappointment
Sleep Token - This Place Will Become Your Tomb
While I had them as my "Best Surprise" last year with their Deluxe Edition of Sundowning their follow-up release, while not bad by any means, just failed to get its hooks in me and win me over. It felt formulaic and not as genre-breaking I was hoping it would be. That said, if Sleep Token is my "biggest disappointment" you know it's been a fantastic year for (Metal) music!

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Gotta love Last.fm/Chuu bot when it comes to visualizing data.

Top artist plays:

tLhigZV.jpg

Top album plays:
TjKDGyA.jpg

Doomtrain

Hoooo boy, for all the bad that's been 2021 it sure made up for in terms of the sheer volume of amazing album releases! I didn't even know where to begin to put this AOTY list together but this is my attempt (which I'm sure I won't change in the next few weeks either lol). I could've easily made a top 30 as it just feels wrong leaving out so many quality albums. However, as my pappy used to say "sometimes you've just gotta' make the tough calls in life" and this was such a moment... I mean even my top 5 basically all consist of #1 contenders. It's madness I tell ya', madness!

Top 10
  1. Silent Planet - Iridescent
  2. Queen Kona - Lucid
  3. Darko US - Darko
  4. Spiritbox - Eternal Blue
  5. Architects - For Those That Wish to Exist
  6. Holding Absence - The Greatest Mistake of My Life
  7. LANDMVRKS - Lost in the Waves
  8. Vildhjarta - måsstaden under vatten
  9. Humanity's Last Breath - Välde
  10. Mastodon - Hushed and Grim
Runner-ups
Volumes - Happier
VCTMS - Vol. IV Numb the Ache
Born of Osiris - Angel or Alien
While She Sleeps - SLEEPS SOCIETY
Brand of Sacrifice - Lifeblood

Honourable Mentions Because Why Not 2021 Edition (Super Not Cheating I Swear Hyper Fighting Deluxe)
Mirrors - The Ego's Weight
Archspire - Bleed the Future
Sentinels - Collapse by Design

Best EP
  1. Convictions - I Won't Survive
  2. Rogue - Phantom
  3. Orbit Culture - Shaman
  4. DeadVectors - Elemental (They put out FIVE EP's in 2021. Stop releasing so many fuckin' EP's DeadVectors!)
  5. Bloodlines - Hevel

Best Single Releases
  1. Cane Hill - Blood & Honey
  2. Advents - Relentless
  3. Darko US - Dragon Chaser (Usually I don't like to include artists I've already given the spotlight elsewhere but this track isn't featured on the album they released this year so... there!)
  4. Don Broco - One True Prince (Orchestral Version Live From Abbey Road)
  5. Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! - Bitter

Best Surprise
Queen Kona - Lucid
These guys came outta' nowhere for me and they basically sound like if Periphery and I Am Abomination would have made 4 babies together that could all sing and play instruments heavily and proggily (yes I made that word up). I love this album as it has pretty much everything I would want from the Prog genre: catchy djenty grooves combined with technical riffage that doesn't go overboard, all the while supported by soaring cleans and aggressive lows courtesy of the four vocalists. It's just great and I can't wait to hear what comes next from them.

Biggest Disappointment
Sleep Token - This Place Will Become Your Tomb
While I had them as my "Best Surprise" last year with their Deluxe Edition of Sundowning their follow-up release, while not bad by any means, just failed to get its hooks in me and win me over. It felt formulaic and not as genre-breaking I was hoping it would be. That said, if Sleep Token is my "biggest disappointment" you know it's been a fantastic year for (Metal) music!

This is a great list. Mine is pretty similar, right down to being a little disappointed with the new Sleep Token (especially after Sundowning was so amazing.) I think the main difference for me would be to put Erra’s self-titled in the number one spot. Holy shit, what an album.

beardedmoose

Neo Member
this album is fire. i usually dont get into stuff like this, but there is a destructive sound to this that im really digging.

Oh how right you are. One of the best releases of 2019!

Progeny is a banger!

You should try Opeth if you haven't heard them before. Hath owe them a lot in terms of sound signature.

Kev Kev

Oh how right you are. One of the best releases of 2019!

Progeny is a banger!

You should try Opeth if you haven't heard them before. Hath owe them a lot in terms of sound signature.
i have tried opeth and its not really my thing, but i recognize they are a good band and have really good music, i just cant get into them for some reason. which is why im so surprised i enjoyed Hath. ill give opeth another shot one of these days. musical tastes can definitely change over the years, maybe i will enjoy it more next time.

beardedmoose

Neo Member
Band: Dvne
Album: Etemen Ænka
Song: Towers

Neurosis + early Mastodon + Cult of Luna + Melodic sensibilities = This band

Album as a whole is very very good. Give it a go!

Metalhead here, always around to promote King Diamond/Mercyful Fate (both bands headed by vocalist, King Diamond). I have a custom tattoo I drew of Snow White with King Diamond's facepaint. Unfortunately, due to him not being as well known on this side of the world, people always think it's a member of KISS's make up.....fail.

Favorite King Diamond song: Abigail

Favorite Mercyful Fate song: Evil

Kev Kev

Ovech-King Ovech-King posted some dope ass videos over in the guitar players thread, check out his youtube channel and give it a subscribe, he has lots of great content for metal heads, and he posts new shit weekly!

that being said, his slaughter to prevail mask got me listening to them again fkrst thing this new years morning. fucking love these dudes! they have such a unique sound while still beastin with the best of them. hopefully everyone into death metal/deathcore has heard of them, but if you havent feed yourself some pure russian hate motherfuckerrrrrrrr ⚒️⚒️⚒️

Top Bottom