• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most hated gaming brand in every country

Bullet Club

Based on negative tweets.

XnApI7M.jpg

Developers of Assassin’s Creed Battle Street Fighter for Most Hated Gaming Brand​

Perhaps no fandom loves to hate as much as gamers. With fierce opinions, hours of personal investment, and a complex relationship between gaming and psychosocial problems, gamers want to tell people about it. They complain about Ubisoft the most. The Assassins Creed developer is the most hated gaming brand in 23 countries.

Capcom is number two, most hated in nine countries. The Street Fighter producer aggravates fans with buggy code and curious, creative decisions. Conversely, loveable games brand Nintendo is most hated only in one country: Norway. “Does Nintendo know that they’re essentially killing Nintendo Online’s SNES/NES emulator by releasing ONLY shit/forgettable games?” complains @TinyFluffyGoat.

METHODOLOGY & SOURCES

We compiled a list of some of the biggest global gaming, fast food, tech brands and ISPs within the UK and US. Using Twitter’s API, we pulled tweets mentioning these brands.

We then used language analysis tool SentiStrength to determine the sentiment of tweets (considering tweets with a negative component from -5 to -2 as negative). Aggregating the data by country and US states, we calculated the % of negative tweets and ranked the brands to reveal the most hated in each region. For all countries, we omitted brands without at least 10 unique users tweeting about them.

Business Financing. (2021). The Most Popular Consumer Brand in Every Country. businessfinancing.co.uk
Forbes. (2019). THE WORLD’S VALUABLE BRANDS. forbes.com
Financial Times. (2019).Top 100 global brands 2019: the full ranking. ft.com
ISP Review. (2021). UK ISP Listing. Ispreview.co.uk
Broadband Now. (2021). The Complete List of Internet Service Providers in the US. broadbandnow.com
Broadband. (2021). Fixed Line Broadband Providers. broadband.co.uk
J. Clement. (2021). Number of video gamers worldwide 2015-2023. statista.com
N. Scheiber. (2019).Why Boycott Wendy’s? boycott-wendys.org
H. Tankovska. (2021). Online dating in the United States – Statistics & Facts. statista.com
M. Davis. (2020). National Income and Product Accounts. apps.bea.gov

There are a lot of other "Most Hated" categories in the above link, not just gaming.

Aion002

I am Brazilian and I agree. Current Ubi sucks.

Which is incredible, since before last gen ubi was amazing for me: Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, World in Conflict, Prince of Persia, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and so on. Today I just...

things loathe GIF

For Honor is one of the biggest wasted opportunities ever.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

It's really weird that Game Freak would be the most hated brand in the US and Relic the hated brand in China. What did Relic ever do to China?

RCU005

There is no way Game Freak is more hated than EA or Ubisoft in the USA. This chart is wrong!

The most hated companies are: EA, Ubisoft and Activision. Probably because they are the only ones that continuously make yearly franchises without any proper value added year over year.

Game Freak? There is no way! in the US, even less!

Notabueno

Banned
There used to be a vote for the year's worst Video Game company, but they decided to stop under the pressure which was a huge shame and has been missing in the community since.

I'm glad some people are trying to conduct those studies although I question their methodology.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
What?! I thought it was a Nintendo in house studio that made them.
No. Yamauchi started the Pokémon company with another dude and so the Nintendo heirs own the Pokémon company and Nintendo has a large investment in it but it is a separate entity.

I don’t know who gamefreak is either.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
This is clickbait with no bearing on anything. They used some Twitter algorithm bullshit that makes no sense and doesn't show who's the most hated at all.

It's just someone who wants to have a fancy story about the most hated companies, but they have no idea how to compile that, so they slap together some absolute rubbish twitter shit.

blacktout

I’m shocked Japan is Capcom over Konami. Especially with all the MH love.

Since the methodology here basically boils down to "what companies are people bitching about the most on Twitter," what you're really seeing isn't the most hated companies but rather the companies with the biggest, angriest fan bases. This is why Game Freak is on the map. The Pokemon fandom is huge and constantly pissed off.

I assume something similar is going on with Capcom in Japan.

This is also probably why a universally reviled company like EA is missing. Absent the occasional really egregious scandal, people just don't care enough about them or their games to get in fights about it on social media.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Based on negative tweets isn’t a proper measurement. Everyone likes Pokémon so a lot of people are going to have opinions on the games. They are still going to play them and like them.

Basically the more people like something the more they will tweet about it and tweets are mostly critical in nature.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I'm somewhat of a gamer myself but I was never asked any of this?

I refuse to acknowledge this list as such and so should the rest of you!

Last edited:

Fahdis

Pakistan & Epic Games? I thought about it for a second since most people don't even care about gaming there and consider it a waste of time. Then I remembered my younger cousins the age of 6-12 playing Fortnite day and night. The survey was probably done by Parents and I remember my Uncle and Aunt literally hating spending money on V-Bucks every other week for their spoiled kids. Yea, it makes sense.

Top Bottom