• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most overused trope in movies/games?

There's also the "Superhero landing"

3_point_051582208693.jpg

This one is embarrassing for me to watch. "Cringe" is the right word. And look how serious Scarlet is. If someone landed in front of me like that i would burst in laughing before they kick my ass.

This is a good one. And some of the movies have embraced it in an almost ironic/self-aware way.

In the Black Widow movie, Yelena specifically makes fun of Natasha for this kind of "poser" landing.

Deadpool also makes fun of the superhero landing, that scene is actually pretty funny.

for horror movies: jumpscares, new houses, evil kids, it was just a dream. there is so many but that's the ones that piss me off.

This is a good one. And some of the movies have embraced it in an almost ironic/self-aware way.

In the Black Widow movie, Yelena specifically makes fun of Natasha for this kind of "poser" landing.

Deadpool also makes fun of the superhero landing, that scene is actually pretty funny.
somehow florence pugh made that landing look hot (imo)

Last edited:

GeekyDad

...There's also the "Superhero landing" ...

...This one is embarrassing for me to watch. "Cringe" is the right word. ...
Yeah, that's pretty right on the mark. Hard to top that. Ugh... Don't get me wrong, loved it as a kid -- at least in animations -- but ew now.

Lanrutcon

"I'm a science guy. I know ALL SCIENCES. Which branches? All of them, equally mastered. So sure, I'll solve our problem with MAGIC TECHNOLOGY I produced last night . Because I am a genius. At everything science."

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The double wake up.
Character wakes up, something fucked up happens - dead body, evil guy is standing there etc.. then they actually wake up exactly the same except fucked up shit was a dream.

Reactions: Fbh

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Forgot to add the flashback of a scene that literally happened 5 minutes ago. I'm not on my phone or suffering from dementia come on.

Pictures with the eyes cut out/scribbled over with a pen in horror movies.

99.9% of movies/games go in a chronological way.

But some of the best movies can have off timelines where the ending is first and then it hops to different segments where the finale is really the starting point how it all came together.

Clever shit.

But some reason, almost no writers do that to spice up the flick.
Hmmm def video games but I also imagine there are a lot more movies and tv shows that arent chronological because they use in media res

ShadowLag

Basically, Hollywood seems to value memorabilia items a lot.

Yeah, not only that, but they also zoom in and linger on said memorabilia for WAY too long, like "HEY REMEMBER THIS THING? REMEMBER? YEAH? THIS IS SAD RIGHT? LET ME ZOOM IN SOME MORE BECAUSE YOU CLEARLY DON'T REMEMBER YET!"

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There are other variations of this which are just as bad.

- Person A gives memorabilia item to protagonist. Person A dies so the protagonist gives the item to Person B, who reminds them of Person A / replaces Person A.

- Person A gives memorabilia item to protagonist. Protagonist gives the item back to Person A much later, before said protagonist sacrifices himself or wants to be separated from Person A forever in some way.

- Protagonist gives memorabilia item to Person A (usually their child). Person A gives the item back to protagonist after they are much older. Usually before the protagonist goes away/dies or because they were separated for a long time and now they got reunited.

Basically, Hollywood seems to value memorabilia items a lot.
The Evangelion Rebuild movies did such a bad use of this, among so many other badly used tropes.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Teleporting from wherever in the house to the front door merely seconds after someone rang the bell or knocked.

This goes more for older movies but;

Letting the phone ring at least 8 times before answering it. Like for fuck's sake, that sound is annoying as fuck, pick up the damn phone and don't act like that constant protruding high pitched ringing doesn't bother you.. Because it's sure as hell bothering me! =P

Also, not saying goodbye when finishing the call, like who does that? =S

Food:

Characters order food, get their plate and don't eat it. Ok, maybe one bite.. Bro, that shit looks delicious what are you doing!?

Last edited:

-Minsc-

The main character does a thing.

Edit:

To be semi-serious.

The guy gets the lady at the end.

Computer Noises whenever they click something.
Hackers easily hacking things.

Beep, beep, boop, boop, bleep, You've got mail.

Edit again:

So over used, it's in damn near everything. You can call it when it's about to happen.

The best part is my mind first went down the path of this being from a movie called "Supercut" and being hit by a bus was a running gag in the film. They picked the perfect scene to start off with.

Too bad they forgot to close it with:

Last edited:
99.9% of movies/games go in a chronological way.

But some of the best movies can have off timelines where the ending is first and then it hops to different segments where the finale is really the starting point how it all came together.

Clever shit.

But some reason, almost no writers do that to spice up the flick.
it's harder to write, simple.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Food:

Characters order food, get their plate and don't eat it. Ok, maybe one bite.. Bro, that shit looks delicious what are you doing!?
A pizza is almost always a soggy cheese pizza. At most it might have pepperoni on it. Even if there's tons of people, it's never party sized rectangular pizzas. Nobody uses plates either. Everyone just grabs soggy slices and eats it walking around the house.

Chinese take out always comes in those square cartons and everyone uses chopsticks and eats out of the carton. And they all seem to give fortune cookies. I have never ever seen any Chinese place in life (real Chinese food or some North Americanized joint) ever put take out in those cartons. When I do Chinese take out, I put some on a plate and use a fork.

No beer bottles ever need a bottle opener.

If someone drinks a pop, it's always a cola of some kind (unless it's a marketing plant). You never see someone order an orange pop, clear pop, grape etc...

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
A pizza is almost always a soggy cheese pizza. At most it might have pepperoni on it. Even if there's tons of people, it's never party sized rectangular pizzas. Nobody uses plates either. Everyone just grabs soggy slices and eats it walking around the house.

Chinese take out always comes in those square cartons and everyone uses chopsticks and eats out of the carton. And they all seem to give fortune cookies. I have never ever seen any Chinese place in life (real Chinese food or some North Americanized joint) ever put take out in those cartons. When I do Chinese take out, I put some on a plate and use a fork.

No beer bottles ever need a bottle opener.

If someone drinks a pop, it's always a cola of some kind (unless it's a marketing plant). You never see someone order an orange pop, clear pop, grape etc...

I like the way you think 😁

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Every knife used (whether it's the main bad guy or some random person running to the kitchen to grab one) is that medium/large sized chef's knife.

Nobody in a panic ever just grabs whatever sharp object is lying around like a small steak knife.

nkarafo

The main character's wife/relationship is always right, always smarter, never awkward or clumsy, never funny.

Dr. Suchong

"Hold on!" Being yelled in nearly every Car chase or some such.
Cops aiming at a speeding getaway car, then realising it's too far, lowering their weapon in a temper and saying "Shit!!"

Vaelka

People walking off explosions.
In RE3R there's a case that took me out of it completely when Nemesis chases Jill and shoots a rocket right next to her, and she's flung back by it a pretty long distance and rolls around a little then just walks it off.

In TLOU2 there's another similar case altho not with explosions, but Dina falls through a roof and she sounds like she just broke her back and she can't move.
Next time you see her shortly after she's fine.

If a game is actually trying to be realistic then you can't do that...
It bothers me a little with bullet wounds too where people are shot in movies and games and they take out the bullet and it's all ok.
You don't just get shot and walk it off that's not how it works, recovering from a bullet wound takes a really really long time if you even recover at all.
And usually the bullet doesn't even go through it's actually stuck in the body and needs to be removed which only makes it more unbelievable.

Vaelka

Horror movies:

"Let's split up"

Stop It Chris Hemsworth GIF by NETFLIX
In some cases I could see it make some sense, if you're being chased by a monster you can't fight for example then you should probably split up instead of staying as one easy to find group that will all get killed.
Better just split up and well sorry to the unlucky one but it gives the others a better chance to get away.

In stuff like the mansion in Resident Evil 1 tho it's really dumb.

Also, when the bad guy always talks too long so the main character can find an opening or whatever to fight back/escape. I get it has to be a thing, but that has to be the downfall of so many villains and whatnot. They just talk way too much. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Character slowly walks backwards, with the backwards out of frame...turns around, stabbing sound effect it's the villian/monster/dangling corpse/cables.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Seeing this all one after another is making me laugh to death

I'm an evil person but I'm laughing way too harder than expected
The streak starting around 10:40 is especially hilarious. The buses on football fields...

I love how half of those trucks are driving at night with their lights off. Also, 90% of those drivers can’t see people in plain daylight and don’t honk their horn even after they‘ve run people over.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I hate it when some character decides to sacrifice the self to delay the bad guys and give the good guys a chance to escape. But then the other good guys stall trying to plead with the sacrificial character/say goodbye/show lots of grief that by the time they do start to run away the sacrificial character can only buy them like 5 seconds :p

Fbh

The force conversation continuity:
-Characters are having a conversation
-There's a cut and they are shown at a completely different location
-continue with the same conversation as if there had been no cut.

And while both options are bad, I'll personally take a character with amnesia over forced expository dialog.
At least the amnesia gives context, which is better than trying to pass something like this:
-"Do you want a coffee?"
-"Oh yes please, I love this hot drink made from roasted and ground seeds and the stimulant effect it provides".
As a normal way of talking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom