• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Most UNDERRATED GTA Game Ever (GTA 4)

carlosrox

Banned
Loved 4. Much preferred the tone of it to 3.

Never understood the hate. It's the one that got me into the series.

TeamGhobad

Banned
No. It struggled with tone, it tried being serious but still goofy it didn't work. also the story loses focus completely 1/3 of the game in.

Last edited:

Futurematic

I never played GTA IV, just II/III/V.

So wheres it rank in the series? I don’t love this serious stuff I’m hearing about ahaha. But I’ve always heard about how the physics were turned down for V, I do love me some systems

bender

What time is it?
Underrated?

giphy.gif

GTA IV gives us characters and a world with a level of depth previously unseen in gaming and elevates its story from a mere shoot-em-up to an Oscar-caliber drama. Every facet of Rockstar's new masterpiece is worthy of applause. Without question, Grand Theft Auto IV is the best game since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. -Hil-IGN

-
Nikko is an alright character but it's hard to take his motivations seriously when he says he's escaping from a war torn country and a life of crime and then ten minutes later is killing gang members for the drug dealing for Little Jacob.
-Tonally it's a mess as they want to give you a serious, empathetic character but that's juxtaposed with the Houser's sophomoric writing and dick-and-ball jokes.
-The entire cast, save for Playboy X, are varying degrees of annoying.
-Easily the worst music radio stations in the series.
-The downfall of Talk Radio and especial Lazlow
-In the quest to present a more believable world, the game was stripped of interesting side content found in the rest of the series.
-It had a painfully predictable plot. This girl I'm dating is totally an undercover agent. The last mission is going to wrap up around the Statue of Liberty because the Houser brothers have the subtilty of a hand grenade.
-The lack of airplanes.
-The cover system.
-Whatever the fuck that filter was that murdered on the IQ on the PS3.

I'm not even going to mention the driving physics, some people like them. It's easily the worst GTA.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
The only good thing about it was the weight of the cars, Lost & Damned and the one radio station that introduced me to Global Communication and Les Saavy Fav.

Everything else mostly sucked a fat dick. Especially the lack of a checkpoint system in missions that they thankfully fixed in L&D and then further refined with Redemption in 2010 and onwards.

Oh yeah. Republican Space Rangers were great too.

Go back to that old GFW radio episode where they all talked about it 🤣Everyone really treated it like the second coming of Christ.

im sorry. But i cannot sanction this buffoonery. It is the worst 3D GTA.
It has a big uninteresting city. Uninteresting characters. boring vehicles. Bad movement. bad side activities. Niko is one of the worst main characters of any game.

even for its time, it was graphically ugly. Just a grey blur. The gameplay was dumbed down.

Is there a sequel that was such a step down from the previous entry as this?

Outlier

I liked it. Roman was annoying, but I liked the driving, even if it was too floaty.

But the story didn't move me as it was just another former gangster looking for a better life, only to get back to being gangster, then suffers for it. Idiots.

Hopefully GTAVI takes a new story direction, but it'll be hard consider most people like playing as a jackass character.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The bank robbery heist that Niko Bellic and the McRearies pulled is the best mission in the entire series

I think I played this game in the 11th grade. I wasn’t a huge fan of the story overall, it felt very glum, is how I would describe it in a nutshell. It was sort of like, more or less that Niko was an immigrant and no nonsense criminal working any job he finds for a better life but in the end nothing worked out well for him. He lost more than he gained. The moral of the story is ideal, but I felt like Rockstar never connected all the dots to vividly paint what they were going after. Still one of the greats, but the story could have been much better

fart town usa

Gold Member
GTA IV has the best AI in the series.

Messing with citizens and cops is so funny. I'm no good at the game but my brother can manipulate the AI really well in it, it's hilarious to start shoot outs and watch how the cops react. I remember my brother shooting the hat off a cop. The cop reacts like "Oh shit!", looks around, runs for cover while calling in back up, starts blind firing in our direction. Cops arrive and it just elevates from there. Really entertaining.

He would do the same thing in GTA V and it was a night and day difference, just wasn't as entertaining or dynamic as the stuff the AI would do in GTA IV.

Last edited:

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Just started playing this again via series x backwards compatibility and its still awesome. Bought the ps3 and 360 version back in the day as I wanted the best version but there were no comparisons prior so you had to yolo. 360 came out on top as we all know. Played it later on PC too. The 360 version still looks great. The city looks amazing and the characters are well acted. Oh and the soundtrack is soooo good. Let's go bowling cousin!

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Played it twice. First time I hated it, second time I thought it was OKAY. It's huge for games but for the main series not many people put it at #1.

Never did finish BoGT. I'll do that in 2021.

Last edited:

TexMex

It really isn't. I won't retread the tired driving physics conversation, but god it felt bad.

Also, GTA5 just casts a massive shadow. 4 hasn't been re-released/ported numerous times to what is soon to be THREE generations of hardware, or have an ongoing live component that has been supported for nearly a decade.

And to lift straight from wiki:

Within twenty-four hours of its release, Grand Theft Auto IV sold over 3.6 million copies, equating to approximately $310 million in revenue.[147] Within a week, it generated more than $500 million in worldwide revenue, equating to approximately 6 million copies sold for Take Two.[148][e] The numbers surpassed analysts' expectations for the title.[150][151][152] After one month of availability, the game had sold over 8.5 million copies.[153] It broke three Guinness World Records on 13 May 2008: highest grossing video game in 24 hours, highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours, and fastest-selling video game in 24 hours.[154][f] On 11 March 2011, Take-Two announced that the game had sold over 20 million copies, with the Grand Theft Auto series surpassing a collective total of 100 million copies.[156] As of July 2013, the game has sold over 25 million copies, making it one of the best-selling video games, and one of the best-selling games on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.[157]

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It is underrated now but on release received all 10 scores which I still agree with.
It's a fantastic game and the only gta with good story.
The physics, city, car damage, better shooting, realistic feel, finally a good balance of satire and serious tone. I always loved it.
Shame the pc version is still terrible and mods hardly fix it

Jakk

How is GTA IV underrated? It is the top rated game ever on both PS3 and X360. Yeah, some people bitched about it after release because it was quite different in tone and style when compared to San Andreas. Actually, I also prefer V and San Andreas to IV, but that does not mean I think IV is a bad game.

GymWolf

It is underrated now but on release received all 10 scores which I still agree with.
It's a fantastic game and the only gta with good story.
The physics, city, car damage, better shooting, realistic feel, finally a good balance of satire and serious tone. I always loved it.
Shame the pc version is still terrible and mods hardly fix it
What is so terrible about the pc version?!

I always wanted to replay the game at 4k60...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It was the first game that introduced the euphoria engine, i can't hate it.

Also i love niko's accent.

But 98 on MC is absolute bullshit and definitive proof that gaming press is useless trash.
It didn't feel like bs in 2008. Everyone was amazed by it... or at least it looked like that.
If You started this game on 360 in 2008, it looked like freaking tech magic. And the serious tone was something new to gta too.

GymWolf GymWolf pc version can run 4k60 or even more now but cutscenes zoom in, camera goes crazy, colors are washed out, depth of field is broken at 4k, motion blur too, no msaa, a lot more bugs... You can make it somewhat decent. There are good mods but I never was able to make it look and feel like 360 version

Last edited:

GymWolf

It didn't feel like bs in 2008. Everyone was amazed by it... or at least it looked like that.
If You started this game on 360 in 2008, it looked like freaking tech magic. And the serious tone was something new to gta too
Graphical prowess can only get you that far.

Rockstar games just get a huge boost in reviews score, rdr2 was my goty with gow, but it is hardly a 97.

GTA4 was really good. I actually liked the driving a lot in GTA4 it was much mmore realistic i found the driving in 5 to be a downgrade.
But the most underrated GTA ever is Chinatown wars by far. That game is amazing. I would love to play another topdown GTA with modern graphics and online functionality.

Nah it still didn't have mid mission checkpoints in sodding 2008. It deserves about 10 kick in the bulls just for that (or 10 points reducted on metacritic)

At the end of the day it was still a clunky linear 3rd person shooter where you get to dick around in an open world between mission. No amount of crobcat videos showing off "details" will change that.

Top Bottom