• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new and fancy Game of the Year 2021 (so far) thread

Game of the Year 2021 (so far)

• Age of Empires IV

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Back 4 Blood

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Battlefield 2042

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Bowser's Fury

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Call of Duty Vanguard

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Death's Door

• Deathloop

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • Diablo II: Resurrected

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Far Cry 6

• Forza Horizon 5

Votes: 95 38.3%
  • Guilty Gear Strive

• Hitman 3

• It Takes Two

Votes: 22 8.9%
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Metroid Dread

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • Monster Hunter Rise

• Nier Replicant V.1.22474487139...

• Persona 5 Strikers

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Psychonauts 2

Votes: 47 19.0%
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • Resident Evil Village

Votes: 34 13.7%
  • Returnal

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • Shin Megami Tensei V

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Tales of Arise

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters

Bragr

Banned
You got 3 votes. Choose your top 3 games of 2021.

We still got Halo Infinite, the Pokemon remasters, and perhaps some dark horse game, but it seems the year is mostly done in terms of big releases.

The "winners" of the previous list from August was:

1. Psychonauts 2
2. Returnal
3. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
4. Resident Evil Village
5. It Takes 2

Gargauth

Damn, looking at the list, we've had quite a few great games this year. I had issues choosing 3 from so many - and I've yet to play some of the games on the list, like Deathloop, Death's Door, Kena, Monster Hunter Rise, and possibly others.

ManaByte

Karol G Getaway Driver GIF by Xbox

Celcius

°Temp. member
Tales of Arise
Metroid Dread
Persona 5 Strikers

Honorable mention to Guilty Gear Strive, but didn't pick it because the story in Xrd was better

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's a tough year to call, a lot of games that wouldn't normally be considered GOTY material are in play because there's no obvious front runner. We've only had a single new release (as opposed to a port or remaster) this year that has cracked 90 on metacritic (Forza Horizon). These are my "contenders" based on what I have played, in rough order of preference:

1. Psychonauts 2
2. Tales of Arise
3. It Takes Two
4. Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (not excluding it as a remaster since it's new to the West)
5. Life is Strange: True Colors
6. Forza Horizon 5
7. Aleste Collection (technically released at the end of 2020, but it was too late to be discussed last year, so fuck it).

Yet to play, but probably would be contenders:

Ratchet and Clank (can't find a PS5)
Returnal (same)
Shin Megami Tensei V (just got)
Deathloop (too much in the backlog)

Reactions: Isa

rofif

Banned
surprised by fh5 votes. It's the same game as 4. Random race, big event, random races, big event.
Cringe festival, cringe characters talking all the time.
It's the drought, The game would not be so hype any other year. It's a good game but not goty for me

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Gonna go with It Takes Two, shit was absolutely EXCELLENT. And situation when EA could publish such game, means that...umm...probably Ubisoft sucks or something.

2. The Ascent
3. Flight Sim on Xbox
4. FH5
5. VILLAGE

surprised by fh5 votes. It's the same game as 4. Random race, big event, random races, big event.
Cringe festival, cringe characters talking all the time.
It's the drought, The game would not be so hype any other year. It's a good game but not goty for me
I mean goty(s) are personal, even if it would be Marios Bros, it's still valid for that person.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

For me its either Resident Evil 8 or Returnal. Returnal gameplay was amazing with engaging story. Resident Evil is the RE game Ive been waiting for since RE Remake 1 on the gamecube.

Ratchet and Clank is top 5 for me but doesnt beat Returnal in Gameplay or RE8 etc

Death Stranding directors cut wins for me because I never played it on the PS4 but its not on the list

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Gonna go with It Takes Two, shit was absolutely EXCELLENT. And situation when EA could publish such game, means that...umm...probably Ubisoft sucks or something.

I mean goty(s) are personal, even if it would be Marios Bros, it's still valid for that person.
It's not personal. We are doing whole site goty.
Even if it was personal... it does not mean I can't comment on it and say why it's not my goty. Nothing I said about fh5 is false. it is cringe city lol
btw - It takes two is fantastic. I also voted for it (and re8)

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's not personal. We are doing whole site goty.
Even if it was personal... it does not mean I can't comment on it and say why it's not my goty. Nothing I said about fh5 is false. it is cringe city lol
btw - It takes two is fantastic. I also voted for it (and re8)
It's is cringe sadly, I too am not too thrilled about anything which is happening there outside of the racing, but when you race, I can forgot everything else. But sadly it's no FH3 v2, me and others hoped....

Also good taste (y)

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I honestly don't know, this year has been pretty whack.

In fact, if any I'd retroactively give it to Blasphemous, which I'm currently playing and having an absolute blast with. Legit the only game I don't want to stop playing in a very long time.

MiguelItUp

Of the few games I played in this list, Metroid Dread feels the most worthy IMO.

I personally don't even feel like it was THAT remarkable, but this year has felt so barren to me in regards to titles that woo'd me. A number were enjoyable, sure. But nothing entirely memorable IMO.

Max_Po

Banned
I have to go with

Kena, I thought it would be a kiddy game with mediocre gameplay.... really the biggest surprise of the year..

Re Village another great entry. I am stuck on the last boss at hardest difficulty.

and

Ratchet is amazing. Finished it 3 times.

I am hoping to get a Series X again and FH5 ....

kingfey

Banned
Hitman 3, It takes 2

The rest are good. But those 2 did the impossible, and made a really good game. Not just graphicly, but thoroughly enjoyable game.

Hinedorf

Banned
I have to be honest when I consider what game I played the most this year, revisited, and will continue to revisit. It's Dyson Sphere Program. If you haven't heard of it you should it's one of the most well put together games of it's kind and runs so quietly you'd think it'd be playable on a cellphone yet has the depth of any major title in it's genre.

1. Dyson Sphere Program
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Monster Hunter Rise
Personal favorite not from 2021: Disco Elysium - masterpiece game

Highly recommend this game to anybody for all ages

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

No Elden Ring network test? I didn’t play it but I’m pretty sure some peoples would consider the demo better than most complete games lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In that, it's a great game, surrounded by better ones ^.-
I accept the fact most of the games I’m in to very niche for most mainstream gaming.

it never going get attention in most popular forums that are usually much more in to AAA games.

• Strength
Reactions: Isa

teezzy

Banned
Wow, looks like I dont play new games these days

Haven't touched a single game on the list

I'm voting for Diablo 2 since I know the OG was kino

buffy the vampire slayer popcorn GIF

I like to watch ;-)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Thus far -

1. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (9.0/10)
2. Outriders (8.5/10)
3. Kena: Bridge of Spirits (8.5/10)

Only upcoming game that I have left to play for 2021 is Halo Infinite which is my favorite to win overall game of the year via gameawards.net. I also have it as my projected final game of the year. Love Ratchet but I have never played Halo so if Infinite nails everything for me, it will end up being my 2021 game of the year.

1. Psychonauts 2 Loved this game to pieces.
2. Forza 5. Game is liquid fun. Still playing it with lots of content.
3. It Takes 2. One of the few Coop games I was able to complete with the Missus.
I feel like this list will remain for the rest of the year unless some unknown game comes out of nowhere.

I have zero idea whats going to win. It’s the weakest year of all time.

Whatever wins the most awards will be the right choice. I guess.
I feel like deathloop or Rift Apart might win. Because they are the most easily digestible?

I wouldnt oppose anything winning.

Top Bottom