• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new COD Warzone will be revealed this year, Activision confirms

Bullet Club

The new COD Warzone will be revealed this year, Activision confirms​

Activision has officially confirmed that the new Call of Duty: Warzone is in development and will be revealed later this year.

The announcement was made as part of Activision Blizzard’s Q1 2022 financial results, where it was claimed that the new Warzone will be built from scratch alongside the next main Call of Duty game, which is a new Modern Warfare.

“The Call of Duty teams delivered substantial gameplay improvements for Vanguard and Warzone in the first quarter,” Activision’s statement read. “Development on this year’s premium and Warzone experiences, led by Infinity Ward, is proceeding very well.

“This year’s Call of Duty is a sequel to 2019’s Modern Warfare, the most successful Call of Duty title to date, and will be the most advanced experience in franchise history.

The new Warzone will be ‘built from the ground up’ alongside Modern Warfare 2

“The new free-to-play Warzone experience, which is built from the ground-up alongside the premium game, features groundbreaking innovations to be revealed later this year.”

Since Activision has referred to the new Modern Warfare as a sequel, but simply referred to the next Warzone as a “new experience”, it’s not yet clear if the new Warzone will be a completely new release or a major update to the existing Warzone.

As first reported by VGC back in September last year, Modern Warfare 2’s campaign will be centred around the drug war against Columbian cartels.

Sources said the single-player story is “a grittier take on Modern Warfare 2019’s campaign”, with more close-quarters combat, tricky decision making, and the classic Call of Duty set-piece moments fans have come to expect.

We also previously reported that Modern Warfare 2 will release alongside a brand new map for Warzone, the third such all-new arena to be launched for the battle royale spin-off.

As with Verdansk, which is based on Modern Warfare 2019, and Caldera, which launched shortly after last year’s Vanguard, the new MW2 Warzone map will be comprised of various classic points of interest, it was claimed.

During a conversation with Call of Duty influencers in February, Infinity Ward stated that future integrations of Call of Duty titles into Warzone should be smoother now that all teams working on Call Of Duty are working on the same engine.

Modern Warfare 2’s reveal could be imminent, as last week Infinity Ward went dark’ on social media, changing its profile pics and header images to what initially appears to be complete darkness.

However, when enhanced, the images reveal what appears to be the silhouette of the fan favourite character Ghost, who first appeared in the original 2009 Modern Warfare 2.

If Ghost is indeed in the next game, he may not be voiced by the same actor as in the previous game.

Jeff Leach voiced Ghost in 2019’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but Activision has stated that he is no longer involved with the series after a series of misogynist comments recently resurfaced online.

Source: VGC

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I was wondering how they would make a "sequel" to Warzone.
It would need to have something special to make people migrate from current Warzone right?

Basically they would have to shutdown the Warzone server transfer as much as they can to the new Warzone and force everyone to redownload Warzone.

Im just hoping it finally doesnt show up as Call of Duty Modern Warfare on most played.

*Just to spite me its going to show up as Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
hope it brings basic necessities to console like FOV, like every other console BR right now

Hopefully a smaller map too, i only play resurgence, the regular mode is a drag

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
It would need to have something special to make people migrate from current Warzone right?

Basically they would have to shutdown the Warzone server transfer as much as they can to the new Warzone and force everyone to redownload Warzone.

Im just hoping it finally doesnt show up as Call of Duty Modern Warfare on most played.

i dont expect a migration, Overwatch 2....is still OW 1 just upgraded....fortnite chapter 2....is still fortnite. Fortnite for example didnt shut down or anything either

its gonna be the same game, but being updated, they arent going to split the userbase, Warzone 1 will become Warzone 2

Last edited:
Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, THIS IS THE MOST UNEXPECTED NEWS IN THE WHOLE FUCKING WOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

real housewives of orange county fun GIF

yurinka

Maybe they use a new, next gen only engine, improved gameplay with new game modes, new and cooler stages and weapons, etc.

If smart Warzone 2 would be a game update for Warzone to don't need to migrate the players. And to reuse servers, avoiding having to maintain 2 separated Warzones, etc.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Hopefully it’s a better map than Caldera. Stopped playing because the map is awful.
i only play it cause some buddies still do, but even when we do, its ONLY resurgence, the only fun mode there. Hopefully they keep a similar mode for warzone 2

apex is the go to FPS BR game

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Maybe they use a new, next gen only engine, improved gameplay with new game modes, new and cooler stages and weapons, etc.

If smart Warzone 2 would be a game update for Warzone to don't need to migrate the players. And to reuse servers, avoiding having to maintain 2 separated Warzones, etc.
i just remembered apex recently had a next gen update, on xbox it was just a regular update on the same file thanks to that feature xbox has, on ps5 you had to unsintall the ps4 version, and reinstall a new ps5 version, maybe something like that

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
hopefully they add more fun modes, and rotate around them.

I remember liking that massive 50v50 free for all, more of that, less of crazy big map, campfest like Verdanz. Resurgence remains the best, most fun mode

they should also adjust things like ghosts and heartbeat

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
i dont expect a migration, Overwatch 2....is still OW 1 just upgraded....fortnite chapter 2....is still fortnite. Fortnite for example didnt shut down or anything either

its gonna be the same game, but being updated, they arent going to split the userbase, Warzone 1 will become Warzone 2

Hmm makes sense.
They will just do a major update instead of releasing a whole new SKU.
The PS5 is what had me questioning things as the PS5 would most likely have a PS5 specific launcher so when they update you;d need to download the whole thing game again.

Anyway looking forward to whatever this update brings, Modern Warfare 19s engine was amazing, so im excited to see what they can do with this updated version which im assuming will be nextgen only(wishful thinking I know)

HTK

Banned
Are people happy with losing all their progression when Warzone 2 comes?

I could care less. This chopped salad version of Warzone is not great. Too many cooks in the kitchen, assets, code etc.. it's a buggy mess.

I think Warzone as is will probably stay alive for the last gen folks. Warzone 2 could be all next gen and no PS4/Xbox support. It can satisfy people that want to remain or move on. That's my thought process anyway.

Salz01

Are people happy with losing all their progression when Warzone 2 comes?
I’m not really sure what progression anymore…. Skins? All the guns get nerfed and rebalanced on a weekly basis, so it’s not like going back to square one is going to hurt much.

manfestival

On one hand, the game needed to be on it's own platform. Being needlessly tied into the other games was a bad move. Forcing people to install warzone when they only want to play CODMW19 MP was just dumb. Granted, it was nice that they finally let us uninstall the other parts of the game(coop and SP) later one like the old days. On the other hand, if they somehow take away from the progress or "investment" that some have made in Warzone currently then that will be just a really bad move. Especially since all other developers have gone out of their way to keep everything on one platform. Also hated how nerfs for warzone would be applied to CODMW19 MP when the same balance wasn't even applicable. Making some guns unnecessarily worse.

Hopefully they have learned a lot from Warzone and applied it to this new one. That main thing being storage space respect. Oh... who am I kidding. 500GB game here we come.

Last edited:
Really hope warzone 2 is alot better then the warzone we have, honetsly warzone started off great, was a piss take with it being hackers galore and after black ops it just went to shit even wanting to play cod campaigns is a pain in the ass with certain packs being obsolete, hopefully this time its alot smoother, bext gen upgrade would be nice to

MiguelItUp

Wondering how much will actually change. I'm assuming the map and that's really it. I don't really care for BRs, but if they did something to make it stand out more, I'd definitely be more interested. The whole gulag thing was pretty neat, along with the events they did, I just want more.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Hmm makes sense.
They will just do a major update instead of releasing a whole new SKU.
The PS5 is what had me questioning things as the PS5 would most likely have a PS5 specific launcher so when they update you;d need to download the whole thing game again.

Anyway looking forward to whatever this update brings, Modern Warfare 19s engine was amazing, so im excited to see what they can do with this updated version which im assuming will be nextgen only(wishful thinking I know)
yeah but you can still play the ps4 version on ps5, and if you get the ps5 version you will still play against ps4 players, nothing really happenes, launching the ps4 version on ps5 could give you a message to instead downlaod the ps5 version, should all be pretty seamless

twilo99

Very excited to see what they've done with the new engine.. something tells me its still going to be CPU heavy so planning on getting one of them juicy 5800x3d to take full advantage.

South American setting would be really nice..

BigLee74

Revealed this year? I thought it was coming out this year! 🙁

We need the new game to bring out all the console controller players again (as it was back when it was great fun), because keyboard and mouse players run riot in this thing.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Revealed this year? I thought it was coming out this year! 🙁

We need the new game to bring out all the console controller players again (as it was back when it was great fun), because keyboard and mouse players run riot in this thing.
we need proper console optimization, even before apex had a ps5 next gen update, the ps4 version still had proper up to 110 FOV

plus, the game needs to be fun lol

edit: it also better have 120fps at launch

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I’m not really sure what progression anymore…. Skins? All the guns get nerfed and rebalanced on a weekly basis, so it’s not like going back to square one is going to hurt much.
Yeah I were referring to skins.

The only reason I played fortnite was because I never lost my skins.

Annual cod is also the reason I jumped off.

Rbk_3

Very excited to see what they've done with the new engine.. something tells me its still going to be CPU heavy so planning on getting one of them juicy 5800x3d to take full advantage.

South American setting would be really nice..

Warzone runs better on Intel. 12900k is significantly better, particularly in 1% lows.

Last edited:

twilo99

Warzone runs better on Intel. 12900k is significantly better, particularly in 1% lows.

Very good to know.. 12900k significantly better, but also it also costs $200 more

I guess I'll wait for benchmarks after it comes out. I'll have to get the amd chip anyway since I've got a board that supports it. Will be very interesting to see what the difference would be on the new engine

Last edited:
Top Bottom