• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next Nintendo console enigma!

Woopah

Anecdotal evidence, personal experiences. Everyone I know that owns one wouldn't get excited over a successor having the exact same features with nothing more to show than faster hardware.
The data Nintendo gives out shows that the vast majority of Switch owners continue to use it.

How do these people you know feel about PS5 and Xbox Series having not much to show apart from faster hardware?

The data Nintendo gives out shows that the vast majority of Switch owners continue to use it.

How do these people you know feel about PS5 and Xbox Series having not much to show apart from faster hardware?
I'm talking kids, parents, all kinds of casuals. I don't have any "gamer" friends. And they're using their Switches, too. They just don't have any reason to buy a new one just because it's faster.

Woopah

I'm talking kids, parents, all kinds of casuals. I don't have any "gamer" friends. And they're using their Switches, too. They just don't have any reason to buy a new one just because it's faster.
The increase in power won't just be about ganes looking better though.

It will mean Switch 2 will get games that Switch can't run, and that will push casuals to upgrade.

Mozza

Switch Up or Switch Plus................... I still think Nintendo should have gone with Lite Switch rather than Switch Lite... ;)

Last edited:
Like most I just want a more powerful Switch. The issue, is that if you asked me what I wanted Nintendo to make before the Switch I would have said a conventional console like the PS5. I am glad they went the hybrid direction instead. The problem is that you don't know what you want sometimes until you see it

Viz108

Neo Member
It's interesting considering Nintendo's competition at this point isn't Xbox or Playstation but the Steam Deck and the plethora of other mobile gaming devices that are coming out now. Any new console would have to be made with Steam Deck in mind, which imo would mean more changes to the eShop system to counter the sheer volume of games on Steam. Of course, better hardware does make it easier for more developers to develop for Nintendo, but I doubt Nintendo will go down that route.

Woopah

It's interesting considering Nintendo's competition at this point isn't Xbox or Playstation but the Steam Deck and the plethora of other mobile gaming devices that are coming out now. Any new console would have to be made with Steam Deck in mind, which imo would mean more changes to the eShop system to counter the sheer volume of games on Steam. Of course, better hardware does make it easier for more developers to develop for Nintendo, but I doubt Nintendo will go down that route.
Xbox and PlayStation are Nintendo's biggest competition by far right now. The Steam Deck sells far too little for Nintendo to put too much focus on it, and mobile is a vastly different market from the one Playstation/Switch/Xbox operate in.

Better hardware to get more third party support is the route Nintendo will go down (with more innovations added in).

Top Bottom