• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next RE Remake....

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So I've been thinking about which RE game Capcom can remake next (if it's not the 1st one again - which makes sense to sell 4 games in one package, all of which are in line when it comes to visuals, gameplay etc.) and which one has the best potentianl to be even better than RE4, provided they did everything right. And its....

fAtXBem.jpg

Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about it lately and it's not Code Veronica actually, despite what I've said in another thread, it's the very first Revelations. Now, Revelations wasn't perfect as a RE game cuz just like RE4 and RE5 it was an action game first and foremost and there was also some stupid and needless ideas there, TV show-like format and other shit I don't like, but hear me out on this one, all of this can be fixed.

If we won't be considering the very 1st RE game, there's no other RE game out there with so much potential to be the next best RE remake, while also having unique for this series and incredibly atmospheric setting with great dark and dreary mood. I mean, there's so much they can do with the ship and make it the best indoor and the most massive and interconnected location in the series to date, while also staying true to the best RE games and original formula. Imagine what they can do with the ship, atmosphere, mood and wheather with lots of rain, huge waves outside, lightning and thunder, barely any visability etc. while you're outside exploring ship's decks. They just need to rework original design of the game completely, add much more puzzles, rooms, floors, decks and connect them in various ways so we could go from one end of the ship to another without loading screens (Dead Space remake did just that a couple of monts ago). There's also so much potential for unique situation and gameplay apportinities involving water, weather and other stuff to block some rooms, maybe even adding risk reward elements with that to build up tention, use all this against enemies etc. etc. etc. They had stuff with water in original game, but they can build upon it and make it even better.

But, they need to get rid of Chris's campaign and story arc completely and those two playable idiots (you know who). Why do we even need Chris as a playable character and what did he added to the whole RE series to be playable character? Nothing but bad things imho, he's not even interesting as a character. Revelations remake must be completely about Jill and Carlos as playable characters. Yeah, why not bring back Carlos from RE3 instead of Parker (who the fuck is Parker anyway and why should we care?), call the game RE5 and connect it to RE2, RE3 and RE4 story and character arcs-wise as well. The whole Revelations story must be completely re-written and completely new from what was in original game. Why also not bring back Tyrant from Deadly Silence? There must also be mostly good old zombies from RE1-3 along with some new and also zombie-like enemies more fitted for the ship and sea setting like the ones they had in Revelations as very basic enemies.

o1wMmQv.jpg

Anyway, I think they've pure gold on their hands if they'll do it right and it can also be the most expensive and huge RE game to date, it could take time 3-4 (or maybe 5) years to make and it must be completely next gen only. But for all this to happen, I think the 1st RE needs to be remade and expanded for next gen only first, while we're waiting for what I have in mind for RE5 and remake of original Revelations concept.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I think this deserves separate thread though as I'm suggesting concept for only one remake and not multiple ones for years ahead:messenger_relieved:
I want.....
Asuras-Wrath.jpg
That as well with much more gameplay and without button mashing QTEs please. I want to actually play the game I bought with actual deep combat and gameplay mechanics - which is not what original game was all about.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
RE5 remake
- fix the AI, or grant AI inf ammo and aimbot

that should fix the whole game.

Last edited:

Banned
RE5 remake
- fix the AI, or grant AI inf ammo and aimbot

that should fix the whole game.

remove Coop, remove "coop doors", redesign the level structure to fit solo play. that should fix the game
if they keep Coop a thing, they should not make it so you run around with an AI in single player. they should make it so that Sheva only comes in at certain points and supports you from the roof of a building or something.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Dino Crysis, going to take a break from RE remakes
I'd love that (I haven't played Dino Crisis games), but I think they need to finish with RE remakes first - there's only like 2-3 games left worth remaking, including Revelations and not including 5 or 6 which are not salvageable and not worth the time and effort for that reason alone. Well, maybe they can do something with Ada's campaign in 6 and turn it into solo and much more ambicious game for Ada - I'd love that cuz it's the best campaign in 6 and they can do way more with it for 10-15 hour game.

Last edited:

The Shepard

They should do resident evil one, code Veronica then 5 as them story's kinda tie together. Chris vs wesker trilogy. I'm thinking though they'll use 4's engine and redo 5 next, turn it more like the original vision for that game, make it more horror and get rid of co op. And if they ever do 6, good luck sorting that mess out.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

They should of released "Resident Evil Nemesis" as a DLC for RE2R (it made sense too, most of the assets are shared between these games anyways), and Release "Resident Evil 3 Code Veronica" instead, a missed opportunity to fix the original naming scheme due to 3 titles on PSX policy

After CV remake, lets just do sequels, IMO even RE4 doesn't really need remake, what really need remakes are games like Onimusha or Dino Crisis

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
If they ever Remake a Revelations game instead of a Revelations sequel, I think the main appeal of that little side series is already nuked from orbit. It's not designed with the idea of needing to be streamlined or condensed or made grimdark(er), it was made (to my understanding) initially as a sort of canon-gaiden shadow series happening parallel to bigger mainline plot beats, clarifying plot points or expanding on red herrings or characters in numbered mainline games so that franchise nerds could get their fix on the who-what-wheres while playing a survival Horror game that was stylistically advertised and executed firmly within a RE4-6 tps action period mindset, and remaking that instead of, I dunno, adding to the tapestry and telling an interesting new story with another series limelight favorite just feels super hollow.

I get it, too, Rev1 was a 3DS game at worst and a competent port on other hardware at best and bringing it up to even Rev2's level of craftsmanship would be welcome, but it just doesn't sound all that worthwhile to me. Yeah, I'm sure the modernized RE engine basics of inventory management and item crafting and gunplay would feel right at home, and I'm sure PS5 BARNACLES AND OCEAN EXPANSES would look supes cool or whatever but....eh.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What about Resident Evil 0 it too deserves a remake.
That's one of the 3 RE's I'd love to see modern remake of BUT - I don't like AI or Coop partner mechanic in 0, shared inventory BS and everything around all this, it should be more like RE2-3 with separate but interconnected campaigns for both characters, meaning you either playing 2 separate campaigns after finishing one of them, or changing places with other character depending on what's going on like in RE3.

If they ever Remake a Revelations game instead of a Revelations sequel, I think the main appeal of that little side series is already nuked from orbit. It's not designed with the idea of needing to be streamlined or condensed or made grimdark(er), it was made (to my understanding) initially as a sort of canon-gaiden shadow series happening parallel to bigger mainline plot beats, clarifying plot points or expanding on red herrings or characters in numbered mainline games so that franchise nerds could get their fix on the who-what-wheres while playing a survival Horror game that was stylistically advertised and executed firmly within a RE4-6 tps action period mindset, and remaking that instead of, I dunno, adding to the tapestry and telling an interesting new story with another series limelight favorite just feels super hollow. I get it, too, Rev1 was a 3DS game at worst and a competent port on other hardware at best and bringing it up to even Rev2's level of craftsmanship would be welcome, but it just doesn't sound all that worthwhile to me. Yeah, I'm sure the modernized RE engine basics of inventory management and item crafting and gunplay would feel right at home, and I'm sure PS5 BARNACLES AND OCEAN EXPANSES would look supes cool or whatever but....eh.
What was back then is not important just like it wasn't important back then when they released these games. After 3 there was no survival horror RE games and after 4 (original)... but more like with it as well it was all turned into dumb action shit. Nothing what was after original RE3 matters anymore. Their main goal with remakes is to make much better and modern RE games and present the story and characters much better, which they did (less so for RE3, but only cuz not all content of original game was remade).

I think you don't get what I was going for with this. So, there must be new RE5 game and I mean completely new from the ground up, just like RE7 was new (minus much worse and completely unlikable characters and obviously different take on RE). RE5 and RE6 are not salvageable, they don't matter anymore cuz it's not what Capcom going for with their modern remakes and the way they're changing everything story and character-wise as well. I don't need complete remake of original Revelations, what I mean is that the concept for it (the ship as a location) can be used and turned into completely new and next gen RE5 and it has great potential in terms of setting and location for that, but it must be completely different from what original game was for 3DS and more in line with RE2-3 in terms of design and original RE formula. I already presented my view on how it can be done in my post above.

I'm sorry, but I'll say it anyway cuz that's how I feel - RE5 and RE6 are shit from top to bottom (except Ada's campaign in 6), there's not effin' way they can turn them into something even close to RE2 and RE4 (minus the Island) even with some story edits etc. They're reminders of how they almost destroyed one of the best IPs they had and turned it into stupid, mindless and brainless action games no one asked for. RE5 and RE6 should remain in their original state to remind them again and again, that this is the wrong road to take and they must never do that again.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

RE6 Remake RE6 was the biggest dissapointment in years
RECXV and The Outbreak Games and Dead Aim would be nice

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
RE6 Remake RE6 was the biggest dissapointment in years

*SIGH*

To be fair though, they can do something with Leon and Ada's campaigns while also having Helena story arc... IF they'll remove all action BS or signigicantly tone it down and use very sparingly for say the last couple of hours of the game or more in line with RE3's last few hours.

Leon's campaign is probably way better (minus action stuff) than what was in original RE4 story-wise. I like Helena as a character and what they did with her and her story in 6, it's just it was all happeing around pure action game BS. Carla and Ada's stuff was great too and they can do far more with it. But to make all this happen and make a great RE game, they need to stay true to original formula and make completely new game by core design, write the whole story around Helena and her sister and completely remove everything else - Chris, Sherry, Jake.
RECXV and The Outbreak Games and Dead Aim would be nice
Next gen Dead Aim for PSVR 2 can work as well as Outbreak if done right with must play SP campaing on par with modern SP only games.
How about none, how about Capcom taking the Resident Evil IP forward instead?
New RE5 I'm suggesting is the way forward after RE4.

RE7 and RE8 trying to do the same and they're far from being the best modern RE games imho and I could not care less about any of the new playable characters and their story. 8 also falls apart after the castle which is the best part of the game along with early Village stuff. I can't say how many times I rolled my eyes and was bored while playing RE8, cuz I just don't give a shit about Winters family and everything around them and I just don't understand why they forced Chris to care about them that much, it's sooooo dumb and so 1500% not deserved. If they're going to make 9 which I hope they won't cuz I had enough of Winters BS, it must be a new start again, maybe something covert related to infiltrating Umbrella and about new Chris, but not action oriented.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Remaking those spin-offs is a bit too much. Let them rest in the realm of obsolescence and past where they belong.

It would be kinda funny to se a remake of Survivor made in the style of RE 7 and 8 but... no, just no.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Revelations? Oh my god now we're reaching to experience old media repackaged.

I'd rather new RE games and IPs at this point. Every other RE game isn't old enough to warrant a remake and REmake/Zero need to be left well alone already being remastered.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Doing 5 next and then maybe CV makes the most sense to me.
I've been thinking about CV as well. I think to make it work as a modern RE game in terms of quality (I'm not talking about RE7-8) they must ditch everything they did for original CV story-wise (not to mention characters and dialogues - oh boy, it's not gonna cut it in 202Xs), write completely new story and tie it up with RE2's events and its ending.

If we'll be considering Sherry as well, Idk how they can bring her back without making her feel more useful and capable like Ellie in the first TLOU and less like Ashley in both RE4s - completely useless character for the most part gameplay-wise, the sole puprose of which is to annoy the F out of you. I think it'll be the hardest part if they'll greenlight Sherry for the project cuz unlike Elllie, she won't be having millitary training before going along with Claire to help her kill walking dead corpses and not freak out and run away screaming every 2 mins.

I like what they did with Sherry in RE2 for a little time we played as her, which is a more stealth, exploration and puzzle based approach, but that's her being alone and not being a part of the core RE gameplay. Maybe they can do something similar in CV remake but with far more screen time for her and with more diverse and insteresting stuff for her to do? It's doable for sure. Maybe they'll find a way to not make Sherry be part of the core gameplay for Claire even, either way, they have to think of something to not make her annoying and useless when she's with Claire - good luck with that.

They left the whole thing with Claire and Sherry out in the new RE4 narrative (there's not even notes or hints as to what Clair is doing and all that), so it makes sense to continue Claire and Sherry's story at some point and maybe do it during and before the events of new RE4? Say, end CV remake on what RE4 will start from? Show how the new virus was first discovered, how it was procesed, produced and experimented on in Umbrella's labs and how Umbrella started the whole operation in Spain by infecting all those people in the village? Maybe add Ada into the mix for the end credits or something and show how she teamed up with Luis? Hell, make Luis part of the game's narrative and show how he turned against Umbrella, helped Claire and ended up in the village with Leon (or rather what exactly lead to it). They can add some notes here and there to RE4 later like the did before release of RE3 for RE2 for coherency and continuity's sake.

I'm not even paid to write all this and bring them Ideas, just take all this for free Capcom and make great games. I mean, it's so obvious as to what they should do next and there's nothing wrong with reusing old concepts to make completely new and much better games, fix all the shit they did with RE IP starting from original RE4 and maybe end it with a bang someday? Let's hope they'll do it right, cuz it'll be amazing to have such a great new take on the series with so many great games to play through one after another, all of them having same but great gameplay and with good old core RE design, yet modern and grander in scale.

You know what, I think and if they'll have balls and desire to do it right... they can add RE3R content to RE2 as a separate campaign and call it something else - like they're going to do for Ada's campaign in Separate Ways for RE4. That way the can call CV remake RE3 which will make the most sense given that it'll be prequel to RE4 story-wise if they'll be going for what I have in mind. But I don't think they're going to do it.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I thought RE5 played great in coop, the hilariousness of that mirror/sunbeam puzzle just wouldn't have been the same in single player.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Doing 5 next and then maybe CV makes the most sense to me.
5's storyline will feel very disjointed if CV is not out first. CV should come out before 5 so people can play the Remake, CV's remake and then enjoy 5's conclusion to the story.

Pls gimme Code Veronica; I'd be so happy to see it given the RE4 RE2 REmake treatment... Pls Lord let me live long enough pls make it Capcom. I am only interested in life for CVREmake... Don't care what happens after I play it... Need my twins REmastered.

Last edited:

Neff

Revelaitons

Worst story in the series which is saying something. Probably the weakest gameplay too. I still like it though.

They only need to remake 1 in first person VR then they can stop.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I love Revelations and I'm down for a remake for sure. That being said, I believe Code Veronica is in more dire and immediate need of one, it's just aged so badly, and I say that as a staunch defender of the game. After Code Veronica, I'd say Revelations 1 then 2, then Zero and then a full remake of the original to either close out this gen or start the next. That would be my ideal line up anyway.

Chiggs

I want Code: Veronica, part 1, or an expanded Zero.

I really don't want a remake of Part 5; I personally find it to be the least enjoyable.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
I want Code: Veronica, part 1, or an expanded Zero.

I really don't want a remake of Part 5; I personally find it to be the least enjoyable.
I didn't like 5 or 6 really, but a remake could fix it. Hell, they could possibly go in a completely different direction altogether and even change the whole story and what happened. I think they'd almost need to with 6.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Remake 1 5 and 6, and dont bother with the not numbered games. I guess 0 is numbered but no one cares about that one, I guess they could retcon it completely.

HYDE

Banned
Remake 1 5 and 6, and dont bother with the not numbered games. I guess 0 is numbered but no one cares about that one, I guess they could retcon it completely.
This is the only correct opinion! Except just forget about 6 entirely…Lol!

3, CVX, and Z all suck.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
1) Abandon Winters shit completely and focus on remakes
2) Remake 1 while working on what I suggested for RE5 - completely new game with the ship setting and concept, can take more time and effort than RE1
3) Remake RE5

Brainstorm the idea to get rid of RE3, incorporate what was done for it into RE2 as a separate campaign to make it look like this - Leon, Claire, Jill & Carlos. RE3 in a form it is now is basically huge addon for RE2 anyway, given how much stuff is missing from original game, no one will say anything about it and be mad that it's now part of RE2

4) Remake Code Veronica (I also posted my concept for it above) and name it RE3
5) Maybe try and fix 6 by completely rewriting the story for only Leon (playable), Helena, Ada (playable) and Carla in mind and remove almost all dumb action from it. No co-op, period.

I think that's a good road map for the next ~7-8 years. Once all of this is done - Dino Crisis.

Last edited:
Top Bottom