• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch has finally outsold the Xbox One in the UK after over 5 years. Next Target is the PS3.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/e...witch-overtakes-the-xbox-one-sales-in-the-uk/
Nintendo has always had successful ventures in Japan (the country of its origin) and North America. However, the Japanese giants never had a dominant presence in the United Kingdom. Instead, competitors like Sony and Xbox flew high in the English skies. But it seems the UK is starting to witness many new changes this year, including the rise of Nintendo. Recently, the game industry expert Christopher Dring tweeted, “Meanwhile, Nintendo Switch has surpassed Xbox One in terms of total sales in the UK. Next, it has PS3 in its sights.” Although he didn’t present any official figures, it is a massive feat for the Japanese giants to reach such height. Further, it is impossible to think that a five-year-old console competed against the next generations, like PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S. But if Nintendo surprises the world with the much-awaited successor to Switch next year, then the Big N might take a massive step toward the throne of the gaming industry.

Xbox One sales in the UK were about 5.7 million units. So the Switch is above that.

For comparisons sake, the PS3's LTD is ~5.9 million units

PS4 is >7 million units.

Wii is >7.5 million units

Ps2 is somewhere between Wii and Ps4.

the Xbox 360's LTD is 8.4 million units.

I can see the Switch passing PS3 before fizzling out in the UK.

MrA

Banned
https://www.essentiallysports.com/e...witch-overtakes-the-xbox-one-sales-in-the-uk/

Xbox One sales in the UK were about 5.7 million units. So the Switch is above that.

PS4 is >7 million units.

Wait, does that mean the 360 was the best selling console in the UK? Thats interesting

Bragr

Banned
UK is weird like this, FIFA is so big that a machine like a Switch, with weak FIFA ports, is gonna lose out on the biggest market (sports fans). In half of Europe, Playstation is the FIFA and COD machine, Xbox 360 managed to become that for a while too.

I’m really surprised by these numbers. So the switch didn’t take off in the UK like other parts of the world?

UK since the PS2 usually didn't have a consoles make long term mistakes so they generally sell in even modest numbers throughout their LTD in the UK.

For a long time until the Wii 7 million was a feat that people didn't expect would be surpassed when the PS2 took over. The Wii even with all its hype was the only one to manage to beat it and not by too much. The 360 was not far from the Wii in the UK and was able to pass it when Nintendo failed to sustain it(same thing happened in the US but the situation was slightly different).

I doubt we will see another 8M consoles in the UK, especially with pricing issues, the 360 and PS2 both were able to get to $150 for the standard model, PS2 below that at $99 with some retailers selling it for less. The same game excitement isn't there for it either.

If the Switch can't catch up to the Wii in the UK then it's not going to be the machine to pull it off. No way it can cover another 3 million units or more.

Last edited:
But it was third place in the Earth.

If you pretend the Wii U didn't exist sure, but that removed the context that Nintendo dropped out of home consoles and replaced the 3DS with he Switch, and you're using a handheld to put it in third place.

But the real picture is Wii U was third place, and then Nintendo left the console market, came out with a TV capable hybrid handheld device after the 3DS died, and now only has one gaming device on the market.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Nintendo dropped out of home consoles and replaced the 3DS with he Switch, and you're using a handheld
giphy.gif

I see the "Switch is a handheld and not a console" cope is still alive and well.

Kokoloko85

If you pretend the Wii U didn't exist sure, but that removed the context that Nintendo dropped out of home consoles and replaced the 3DS with he Switch, and you're using a handheld to put it in third place.

But the real picture is Wii U was third place, and then Nintendo left the console market, came out with a TV capable hybrid handheld device after the 3DS died, and now only has one gaming device on the market.

I think the Wii was released after Xbox 360 and same year as PS3 In 2006.

Whereas the Wii U was in competition with PS4 and Xbox One releasing a year before them in 2012

The Wii was the PS3 and Xbox 360 generation.

Robb

Gold Member

PS4 is >7 million units.

Twilight Zone Getting Weird GIF by MOODMAN

anthony2690

Banned
Today I learned the Xbox one actually sold insanely well in the UK.

& I'm kinda not surprised about Xbox 360 being the highest selling, literally everyone had one, it's pretty much everyone's introduction to online gaming here.

As barely anyone went online with Dreamcast, Xbox or ps2.

Well I knew a couple of people that went online on Xbox with halo 2.

Ronin_7

Banned

PS4 is >7 million units.

Ps3 can't catch a break...

I thought 360 was 10M+.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Didn't the xbox one and ps4 take 8 years to hit those numbers?

Holy shit 360 was a beast in the UK...wtf

Last edited:

yurinka

How the hell did it take that long.
Because apparently it isn't as dominant and doesn't sell as fast as you think.

Didn't the xbox one and ps4 take 8 years to hit those numbers?

Holy shit 360 was a beast in the UK...wtf
Not sure if XBO got discontinued when being 8 years old and had 5.7M sold there.

PS4 had big stock issues since a few months before PS5 was released (and that happened when PS4 was 7 years old), around summer 2020, due to chips shortages and Sony prioritizing PS5 manufacturing for the limited amount of components they got. PS4 must have sold very little since summer 2020 so I'd bet it sold 7M in around six years and a half. So Switch probably is selling at a similar or slower pace in UK than PS4 when launch aligned.

Last edited:

Daytonabot

Banned
I have increased respect for the UK. Sure, they haven't been relevant in a couple hundred years, but at least they left the Fourth Reich and don't get drunk on Nintendo Kool Aid.

These numbers show why it is dumb to ignore the Japanese market. Japan Switch sales are at 26million. And even the PS4, which was not a huge success in Japan, did 9 million.

MrA

Banned
These numbers show why it is dumb to ignore the Japanese market. Japan Switch sales are at 26million. And even the PS4, which was not a huge success in Japan, did 9 million.
People definitely do, but ps4 was like 11.5 million, pro is separated from regular in famitsus numbers

Kokoloko85

giphy.gif

I see the "Switch is a handheld and not a console" cope is still alive and well.

Well it is mainly a handheld. Where Nintendo does its best sales and work. Its main novelty is that its a handheld otherwise its almost the same power as the Wii U, imagine Nintendo releases a console only with the same specs as Switch

Last edited:
Top Bottom