• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OFFICIAL "The Village" Thread (SPOILERS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodsTyro

The following review was released in the July edition (Volume 11, #4) of the Creative Screenwriting magazine (available at your local Borders) The review is based on a 2003 production draft of the script's original title, The Woods.

(WARNING: SPOILERS!)

"It’s sad to report that The Village script, as written, marks a new low point in M. Night Shyamalan’s screenwriting career. Sad only because everyone knows he has great talent, but somehow seems not to have brought it to this draft. While many of its blemishes will be cleaned up by the film’s release, even a thorough scrubbing couldn’t possibly wash way all of the deep-rooted story problems here. The Village script fails because it features poorly realized characters, dialogue, and story. This is the sixth script that Shyamalan has written and directed, and it seems he’s fallen too much in love with his own material to put the hard work necessary into elevating it- common ditch that most auteurs eventually fall into, and only a few ever managed to escape.

The Village begins in the year 1896 with the death of a child that we later learn might have been saved if proper medicine had been available. But the villagers aren’t allowed to enter the nearby forbidden Covington Woods and head into town for feat of attack from mysterious creatures known only has “Those we don’t speak of.” This Amish-like society fears cities and considers them equally as dangerous as the beasts that lurk the woods. Eventually the protagonist, Lucius, suffers a near-fatal injury and his blind fiancée, Ivy, makes the dangerous journey into the woods so that she can procure medicine from the nearest city to save him.

Yes folks, you guessed it- there’s a twist at the end. Shyamalan seems incapable of writing anything that doesn’t include an outrageous final twist, and The Village produces his weakest ending to date. The Sixth Sense ending wowed audiences worldwide because very few of them had ever seen Jacob’s Ladder or The Twilight Zone episode “An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge” (also Best Short Subject Academy Award winner in 1964). Even though the concept had been popularized in those previous films, Shyamalan’s moody script and steady direction made his film successful and deserves credit.

But he’s become a victim of his own success and now employs twists for twists’ sake at the end of all his films. In Unbreakable we learn that Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson are respectively real-world superheroes and super-villains. Many people rejected that twist, as absurd as it was, it had more honesty than Shyamalan’s subsequent turns. In Signs the twist relied on a Highway to Heaven-styled schmaltzy message from beyond the grave as Mel Gibson’s remembrance of his dying wife’s final words helped his family defeat the aliens invading their house. Forget the fact that these aqua-fearing aliens invaded a planet covered with 90% water- one special family learned how to believe in God while battling aliens!

With The Village Shyamalan tries to pitch his best twister at you, but you can see it coming if you’ve been paying attention. And you’d have to be paying attention because Shyamalan forgot to mask his twist under any sort of compelling narrative or characters. Think about it- a backwards society that’s cut off from the rest of the worlds that repeatedly mentions their hatred of modern cities and clings to beliefs of simpler times-one that forbids its youth from exiting the village’s borders for fear of an attack by forest bests. It practically telegraphs the ending series of twists. For the first fifty pages these beasts are never seen and only spoken about. Then on page fifty a sentry triggers an alarm, and we see nothing but shadows and folks hiding and crying. This repeats a few times until the beasts mysteriously skin all the villager’s animals and hang them around town. You’d hope it’s leading to confrontation, but the changes of that are bleak.

Then Shyamalan makes the biggest blunder a writer can make in handling suspense: he tells you the answer to one of the script’s mysteries. Tells, not shows. The first twist occurs on page 96 (out of 125) when the blind Ivy is told by an elder that there are no real beasts, and that it’s all been a part of an elaborate scheme by the elders to keep their happy community cut off from the rest of the world. This was done in order to preserve their innocent way of life. The guilt-ridden Edward tells Ivy so she can save her true love. By telling, rather than showing, Shyamalan takes away any sense of discovery and drama that the audience might have enjoyed after being led down a dead end for 90 minutes. While The Sixth Sense ultimately contained real ghosts, and Signs had aliens, it’s a letdown to learn there are no real bests here. Still, it’s expected because the script does such a good job of hiding them that by page 96 they’re too boring and unbelievable to really exist anyway.

When the final question is raised about how none of the elders skinned the villager’s animals and maybe there are actually beasts, it’s clear that the script doesn’t bother with that subplot. After sending a blind girl into the woods to find a nearby town for medicine, the script lowers itself again by having its secondary beast turn out to be the mentally retarded character Noah, who childishly longs for Ivy’s unrequited love. He’s apparently found the elders’ beast costumes and runs around causing his own ruckus trying to scare Ivy.

Ivy should know it’s Noah because she claimed to be able to see people’s auras earlier in the script, but now suddenly Noah’s bad costume hides his aura? It’s inconsistent. But even after outwitting Noah, Shyamalan’s game of Twister hasn’t ended yet. As Ivy blindly stumbles around, we’re left with plenty of time to think about where she’s going, and all evidence suggests that this cultish, backward society probably isn’t stuck in 1896, leaving little surprise when Ivy stumbles onto a highway in 2004. It’s just another bad twist for twist’s sake, seemingly an apologetic one, because maybe Shyamalan (subconsciously) knows how weak the previous two twists were.

Shyamalan constantly attempts a Hitchcock style but has sadly forgotten the most classic Hichtcockian lessons: don’t telegraph your twist, cover it up with a Macguffin- the plot device used to distract your audience from the hidden truth. In this script the Macguffin is the mysterious group of beasts. They’re what should focus attention so completely that we could never imagine a Truman Show-type reveal. But Shyamalan did such a lazy job of only suggesting the beasts that there’s plenty of time to let one’s mind wander through various monologues and the clunky “old speak” employed throughout. If The Village had any sort of action, adventure, discovery, horror or real romance rather than restrained romance maybe we might have been invested enough in the story to attain a feeling similar to the end of the original Planet of the Apes when Heston realizes he’s been on Earth the whole time. But since Shyamalan forgot to construct a real story behind his twists, that entire house of cards has already fallen long before they occur. The Hitch-cockian protagonist switch, a la Psych, from Lucius to Ivy kind of works, but both characters read so blandly that it ultimately doesn’t matter. The silliest reveal comes in the final pages when one of the elder’s locked wooden boxes is opened to reveal a pair of blue jeans. The boxes weren’t too important in this draft, but hopefully something better than blue jeans will emerge from them by the final film.

Is this the end of M. Night Shyamalan? Of course not. His past successes will continue to provide future opportunities. Shyamalan is still a talented writer who has written a very readable script, but one incapable of ever getting produced unless someone of his stature fell in love with it. But who could fall in love with a faux horror script that lacks the honestly-earned scares? This draft was devoid of a strong protagonist, strong secondary characters, or compelling character motivations. Narrative experimentation is always encouraged, but never fruitful, when the writing behind it remains lazy. Hopefully Shyamalan has done an inspired rewrite and all the scripts flaws have been erased. But as for this particular draft, if it were a spec from an unknown writer, it wouldn’t sell, because the writer has forgotten how to entertain and has become transfixed with finding the next chic twist."

It's possible that writing changes have been made to the film since then. We will see in 5 days. :)

Iceman

NOT reading this. thanks for bringing it to my attention.

How's this thread supposed to be the official thread for the movie when you start it off with huge spoilers AND negativity?

That's supposed to come later in an official thread.. like after it has come out.

Huh. What's so shitty about "twist". It does sound amazingly entertaining. What do they all have against M. Night Shyamalan?

border

The twist just seems predictable. I guessed it from just seeing the trailer and knowing his work (well, more or less hehe). I hadn't actually seen it confirmed until I read this thread, though.....I was considering keeping it a "surprise" but fuck it, I doubt I would bother going out to see the movie anyhow.

The author of this review does sound like he has a bit of an axe to grind, but I agree that Shyamalan hasn't been doing much aside from making 2 hour episodes of The Twilight Zone. Maybe it's time for the guy to stop trying the same trick over and over, and maybe just go for something different. When you are basically just known as "the director who puts a twist in his movies" then you are pretty much going to be reviewed on the basis of whatever twist you employ. I think the reviewer here has given all aspects of the script good attention, though I'm sure most people won't. As he alludes to, the real disappointment for mainstream moviegoers will probably be that there aren't any real monsters..

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Claus said:
You actually found Signs and Unbreakable to be "good" movies? That's a laugh.

Personally, I felt Unbreakable was a damned good movie, better than anything else he's done. Regardless of your thoughts on the quality of the films, however, they did well and earned much money. That's how hit is defined, especially with the term "one-hit wonder"

GodsTyro

Iceman said:
How's this thread supposed to be the official thread for the movie when you start it off with huge spoilers AND negativity?

That's supposed to come later in an official thread.. like after it has come out.

My reasons for the thread are purely objective. This is the latest and greatest critique of the film so I thought it would be appropriate as a good starting point for the thread. People are free to form their own judgments from reading it, but I personally do not believe it would be possible to critique the movie without seeing it for yourself. With that said, since the release of the movie approaches, it would be good to have all reviews and related discussion here...I personally expect the crowd to be divided on extreme ends. Anyway, I am a big fan of The Twilight Zone, so if the film is anything like that it will have been worth my five bucks.

Claus

Banned
Archaix said:
Personally, I felt Unbreakable was a damned good movie, better than anything else he's done. Regardless of your thoughts on the quality of the films, however, they did well and earned much money. That's how hit is defined, especially with the term "one-hit wonder"

Want to know what made them "hits"? Hype from all the rave reviews he recieved before with The Sixth Sense. People were pulled in thinking "Oh, this'll be great, just like The Sixth Sense!" and came out disappointed. Just because the movie sold well doesn't make it a hit at all. It's like saying N'Sync makes great songs because their CDs sell well.

I liked Sixth Sense and Signs, but I've never seen Unbreakable. I'm still planning on seeing this movie. I even like the sounds of the twist... I just wish I wouldn't have known about it before hand :( Oh well, that's what I get for being weak when it comes to this type of stuff.

At any rate, I'd rather have twists like this than something like "Oh, it was all in the guy's head!" I know he'll be able to keep up the suspense throughout and probably make me jump a few times, so as long as I'm entertained I'll probably be able to overlook a few script flaws (the blind girl not being able to tell who the kid is) if they haven't been fixed yet :)

By the way, Border, nice tag.

Claus

Banned
CavemanLawyer said:
I thought he only had one hit?

But N'Sync was still a hit. Being great and being a hit are two different things. I least in my opinion.

So you'd consider a movie a "hit" if people went to go see it and came out saying they didn't enjoy it?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
CavemanLawyer said:
But N'Sync was still a hit. Being great and being a hit are two different things. I least in my opinion.

I agree 100%.

I read the spoilers and before I even read them I had a guess as to what the twist might be and you know what? Turns out I was right. The only thing I've really heard about "The Village" is from the previews too. Its just like when the Sixth Sense came out and everyone was shocked that Bruce Willis was dead. I was like, "well duh". I saw that one coming from a mile away too. It really wasn't that hard to get if you paid attention.

GodsTyro

I think as long as a mood is established, the acting is well-done, and things flow well, the movie should be pretty entertaining regardless of critical reviews. I also expect the reviews on rottentomatoes.com (why aren't they up yet, btw? I can't even find the page for "The Village") to be pretty good as well.

Alucard

Banned
Man, people are way too hard on M. Night. I think most people just miss the whole point of his movies. They are about looking for the extraordinary in the ordinary. About fantasy in the real world and about guising those messages in scripts with a lot of tension and light sci-fi elements.

That's why I don't get the hate for Signs. I personally thought it was an EXCELLENT film. The main complaint I always hear is that the movie was ruined "as soon as they showed the alien." I disagree. For one, the alien was still generally blurry or covered in some form of shadow. Plus, I think that Signs was meant as a tribute to the old sci-fi movies like War of the Worlds. (which is even mentioned in the movie!) Thus, the elements that seem "cheesy" are merely nods to science fiction's past. Also, the whole idea of the movie was about a man finding his faith again. About believing in something greater than himself. With that in mind, I thought it did a really admireable job.

I feel like punching myself in the face for reading the spoilers in this thread though. :-\ Ah well. I'm about 90% sure that I'll still really like The Village.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
*didn't read thread*

Sixth Sense and Signs rocked. Unbreakable sucked. Hard.

I have high hopes for this one.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Ah crap, why did I read the spoilers... I think the twist isn't so bad as say Unbreakable's twist(I did like Unbreakable though).

Gattsu25

Banned
Unbreakable kicked ass

was just too slow for the ADD crowd :b

I thought of it as the character had a revelation more than a twist...especially since it wasn't presented as a twist, IMO

ced

Wait now the spoilers posted above are from the 03 script that has been pretty much confirmed was a fake, and they even reshot the ending. I havnt read any reviews yet but does anyone know if those twists are accurate?

effzee

This is, hands down, the best new film of the year so far. Shyamalan surpasses even his own greatest work to deliver an utterly accessible, totally enthralling and thoroughly unmissable film that is perhaps one of the most original works to hit the big screen in recent years. In a word: wonderful.

Our Verdict: 94%

with every trailer i see the more i anticipate this movie. it just looks great. to me m night has become the type of name that gurantees a good movie for me.

i like his style and i for one like twists, even though signs had no twist.

and am i the only who likes all three of his works? signs, unbreakable, and the 6th sense?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've only seen Signs once, so I don't feel like I can really give a final judgment. I did however feel like it lost a lot of steam when the alien was revealed. It suffered from Jaws syndrome; it's the mystery that's scary, not the actual creature. I also didn't care for the whole destiny/faith crap.

I have to watch it again though. There were a couple movies that summer that I wasn't crazy about upon first viewing, like Minority Report, but that I took a liking to after rewatching. I really love The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable though. I'm hesitantly optimistic about The Village. At the very least there looks like a lot of nice visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom