• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The old school Capcom pixellated art style and why it's great

Hey GAF, I'll never forget the first few times I played RE2. Having been acquainted with Megaman X4 prior to discovering RE2, seeing the pixelated graphics made me feel like the two games were connected in a sense.

Something about the artstyle here:
37153-MegaMan_X4-4.png

Reminds me alot about the pixelated pre rendered BGs of the great RE2:
wp9a1ivrbgcf2raao2nw.jpg

Full of detail, and yet the pixels aren't in HD, leaving some room for the imagination to make out some other details for itself. :]

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
...I thought you were talking about their 2D game excellent pixel art, but you're praising the by necessity low resolution of actually 3D-rendered material that I'm sure if the consoles of the time had the capabilities for it would be in much better quality/color depth as intended/created...

...Like, is Resident Evil 1 Saturn better or worse for you for having slightly lower levels of compression than the PS version? Are Saturn's heavily compressed FMV videos, usually used for pre-rendered cut scenes, now somehow better than the PS which displayed them more cleanly..?

Edit: ok so you do like the pixel art... No clue why you're linking it to 3D pre-rendered stuff... Maybe people would get the point if you showed more great pixel art games and/or reversed the "reminds" order, in that the compressed 3D stuff are a worse /later take on hand placed pixels.

Last edited:

yurinka

I thought you were talking about pixel art instead of low res polygonal visuals (in this case over a pre-rendered static image) :/

I love their pixel art. This old school RE art style I think was great back then but didn't age as well as the pixel art, which still looks awesome today.

Last edited:
...I thought you were talking about their 2D game excellent pixel art, but you're praising the by necessity low resolution of actually 3D-rendered material that I'm sure if the consoles of the time had the capabilities for it would be in much better quality/color depth as intended/created...

...Like, is Resident Evil 1 Saturn better or worse for you for having slightly different levels of compression than the PS version...

I thought you were talking about pixel art instead of low res polygonal visuals :/
SvCGQfD.gif

That is what I meant, I was saying how the X4 pixel art reminds me of the pre rendered pixelated RE2 bgs

yurinka

That is what I meant, I was saying how the X4 pixel art reminds me of the pre rendered pixelated RE2 bgs
Oh, my fault. I meant that before entering the thread, reading the title I thought you were going to be talking only about Capcom's pixel art.

But when I entered the thread, after a quick read and specially watching the image I got the impression you were focusing on RE2 visuals/art style.

I get what you say, but back then I was a big fan of the sprites and I was worried we were getting more and more games with 3D visuals and less sprite based games like Street Fighter or Mega Man, even if games like RE 2 were great and loved them.

As a result of this many old schools fans trashed 3D visuals, in the same way they back then also trashed CDs vs cartridges or games that only allowed to play using analog controls and not dpad. For many people these visuals, CDs or analog controls were the NFTs of that age.

Last edited:
Oh, my fault. I meant that before entering the thread, reading the title I thought you were going to be talking only about Capcom's pixel art.

But when I entered the thread, after a quick read and specially watching the image I got the impression you were focusing on RE2 visuals/art style.

I get what you say, but back then I was a big fan of the sprites and I was worried we were getting more and more games with 3D visuals and less sprite based games like Street Fighter or Mega Man, even if games like RE 2 were great and loved them.

As a result of this many old schools fans trashed 3D visuals, in the same way they back then also trashed CDs vs cartridges or games that only allowed to play using analog controls and not dpad. For many people these visuals, CDs or analog controls were the NFTs of that age.
Perhaps what I was going for with the thread was poorly worded with the title and what was in the OP. Sorry for the confusion :pie_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom