• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ones Who Live | First Look Trailer | Rick Grimes is back

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

DAY 1 bitches.

Rick Motherfucking Grimes is back
rejoice.png
rejoice.png
rejoice.png
rejoice.png

Daryl Dixon show was surprisingly great, this looks better

Rockondevil

I slowly quit after Rick left. This however looks decent enough to at least give it a try.
Some awesome scenes in that trailer. Plus Terry O'Quinn is an awesome actor too.

Represent.

I slowly quit after Rick left. This however looks decent enough to at least give it a try.
Some awesome scenes in that trailer. Plus Terry O'Quinn is an awesome actor too.
I never left. Seen everything since 2010, day 1 lol.
This show seems like a love letter for the few fans who never left. So many hints and good shit in that trailer :messenger_heart:

Represent.

They wrote Rick off the show without killing him? That’s some serious long-term dedication to producing shovelware.
Wouldn't have it any other way. I love this shovelware :messenger_sunglasses:🤝

The actor did the show for 9 years straight and needed a break. They were originally going to make a trilogy of movies to conclude his story, but instead turned it into a 8 episode series. Been waiting forever to see the end of his story

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

The actor did the show for 9 years straight and needed a break. They were originally going to make a trilogy of movies to conclude his story, but instead turned it into a 8 episode series. Been waiting forever to see the end of his story
Ah, cool. Being a limited series with what looks like a big budget it has some potential.

clarky

Gold Member

Was the Daryl show decent then? I like many others dropped of the show not long after Rick left. Do I need to finish the walking dead before any of this stuff?

Represent.

Was the Daryl show decent then? I like many others dropped of the show not long after Rick left. Do I need to finish the walking dead before any of this stuff?
Daryl show was straight up awesome to me.

It would help but daryl dixon is pretty stand alone. of course you'll miss out on a few things but overall its fine

This series will ever end, will it?
They wrote Rick off the show without killing him? That’s some serious long-term dedication to producing shovelware.
It began a gradual decline after an amazing first season and became near unbearable around Season 6/7.
If it helps, the creative lead of the worst seasons (that quickly declined in quality) left (thank goodness). This video breaks down the issue with why Walking Dead quickly declined under the leadership of Scott Gimple:

He had an episodic storytelling style that is known as 'Boomerang storytelling'

As an example, basically, here's 5 characters:

1. Rick
2. Daryl
3. Glenn
4. Michonne
5. Carl

Episode 1, you'd get a Rick-centric episode, episode 2 Daryl-only, episode 3 Glenn-only, etc. By the time you reached episode 6, which would be over a month later, you finally would boomerang back to Rick's storyline from episode 1. The audience would slowly lose interest because one storyline would take way too long to finish and the viewers might even forget and ask 'wait, what was going on with Rick again?' by the time an episode about him came back around.

Another problem with this style of storytelling is that it also made the episodes feel much slower because you're only following what that singlular character/group is doing, even when they're basically doing nothing much at all.

They kept this style of storytelling up until the final 2-ish seasons and it annoyed the shit out of me and I'm sure it probably annoyed others here too.

Thankfully, Scott Gimple is gone, they've stopped doing that, and instead they decided to just do character-centric spin-offs and have also shortened the episode count to streaming style (between 6-10 episodes) so that they don't run into this problem. I enjoyed the Daryl spin-off much better due to this.

This might not sell you, but I think the Walking Dead Franchise is in a much, much better place than the 'limbo feeling' it was in near the end of the original series.

Jooxed

Gold Member
If it helps, the creative lead of the worst seasons (that quickly declined in quality) left (thank goodness). This video breaks down the issue with why Walking Dead quickly declined under the leadership of Scott Gimple:

He had an episodic storytelling style that is known as 'Boomerang storytelling'

As an example, basically, here's 5 characters:

1. Rick
2. Daryl
3. Glenn
4. Michonne
5. Carl

Episode 1, you'd get a Rick-centric episode, episode 2 Daryl-only, episode 3 Glenn-only, etc. By the time you reached episode 6, which would be over a month later, you finally would boomerang back to Rick's storyline from episode 1. The audience would slowly lose interest because one storyline would take way too long to finish and the viewers might even forget and ask 'wait, what was going on with Rick again?' by the time an episode about him came back around.

Another problem with this style of storytelling is that it also made the episodes feel much slower because you're only following what that singlular character/group is doing, even when they're basically doing nothing much at all.

They kept this style of storytelling up until the final 2-ish seasons and it annoyed the shit out of me and I'm sure it probably annoyed others here too.

Thankfully, Scott Gimple is gone, they've stopped doing that, and instead they decided to just do character-centric spin-offs and have also shortened the episode count to streaming style (between 6-10 episodes) so that they don't run into this problem. I enjoyed the Daryl spin-off much better due to this.

This might not sell you, but I think the Walking Dead Franchise is in a much, much better place than the 'limbo feeling' it was in near the end of the original series.

I always mean to go back and finish, I left off on season 7 or 8 I think, I think I will and check out the spinoffs. I am a sucker for zombie stuff. Black summer being my favorite zombie show. The show just went from a zombie show to something else entirely for me. Which I get it people are scarier than zombies but they always seemed like a non issue after a while.

Represent.

Just watched Episode 1.....

We are so back bitches!!!!

Production values through the roof for TWD. So good to see Rick motherfucking Grimes back on screen.

that ending, was not expecting that.

Fucking Michonne finally seeing Rick again... *Its been 84 years meme* on some Rambo shit, taking down the Heli like that. my goodness. we are back.

Last edited:

Represent.

How can anyone still watch this garbage show and all it's spinoffs... it's beyond me.
It’s just like playing final fantasy games in 2024… how many times yall gonna play the same game. Final fantasy … 16… ff7 remake… rebirth… final fantasy online.. lmao

this spin off is what we wanted from the main show, but the actors left due to burnout and other opportunities.

The production values are HBO quality. It’s a treat for fans

Last edited:
The funniest thing about that self immolation video is the cop that kept pointing a gun at a clearly dead guy who's burned to a crisp.

Last edited:

NickFire

For differing reasons per show I had stopped watching most (Main and Fear) or all (everything else) of the main show and spin offs. Because Rick was coming back I checked out the first episode.

Without going into spoilers --> I really enjoyed it for the most part. I found the explanation for why he was gone so long to be satisfactory. And the limited backstory about his time away felt fresh and intriguing enough for me to watch the entire season. I did think one particular choice he made was unnecessary and stupid (both for the character and plot), but there's probably hordes of people who would disagree. Second critique is the reunion was too convenient for my tastes. But you don't throw out the baby with the bath water, and overall I liked it. So much that I am going to look for a way to watch the Daryl spin off now. I passed when it first came out, but the pacing and limited focus of the first episode of Rick's show has me interested in whatever Daryl (and Carol too) has been up to.

We definitely back.

Andrew is such a great fucking actor. He can carry this shit hard so please let the writing be consistent throughout this one and don't let him go to waste.

Liljagare

The other spinoffs were a drag and a snooze fest. Daryl and and Negan just couldn't carry their shows.

But this is pretty good so far, the actors fill the shoes of their characters, unlike Daryl or Negan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom