• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Orville: Season 2 |OT| The Next Generation of Seth MacFarlane

You should watch it from the beginning. It is good throughout, but it just reached great status.

The robot relationship stuff wouldn't be so cringey if Isaac looked like a humanoid like Data or something and not a tin can wrapped in aluminum foil.

The actor in the suit does a really good job of conveying expressions despite this. And the things the robot Isaac says and does are hilarious in a human context.

Last edited:
McFarlane must have busted open his Family Guy piggy bank. That space battle was better than the Last Jedi's.
whoo.png

DiscoJer

Yeah, I can't believe that was for a TV show.

The detail on the ships isn't great, but that was like a 15 minute space battle with 100s of ships, all doing something.

Last edited:
You should watch it from the beginning. It is good throughout, but it just reached great status.

I didn't want to make this claim, until I saw how the second part of this episode went. Okay, yeah, that was pretty great.

The only thing I thought it was missing was...

A scene of Issac explaining why he did what he did. "Our creators didn't trust us, and refused to consider us their equals. By doing the same to humanity, we would be no better than them." Something along those lines. Although, there's no reason that won't be explored later, and I'm sure some of the crew might not be too quick to forgive either.

This was a very good storyline that, that both resolved in a satisfying way, and left a lot of interesting possibilities.

And as said, the ship battle was insane for television. Someone I know who also watched the episode said to me "that was better than the latest Star Wars movies!" It's was pretty easy to agree, although not really high praise either.

He was right.

Last edited:
I didn't want to make this claim, until I saw how the second part of this episode went. Okay, yeah, that was pretty great.

The only thing I thought it was missing was...

A scene of Issac explaining why he did what he did. "Our creators didn't trust us, and refused to consider us their equals. By doing the same to humanity, we would be no better than them." Something along those lines. Although, there's no reason that won't be explored later, and I'm sure some of the crew might not be too quick to forgive either.

This was a very good storyline that, that both resolved in a satisfying way, and left a lot of interesting possibilities.

And as said, the ship battle was insane for television. Someone I know who also watched the episode said to me "that was better than the latest Star Wars movies!" It's was pretty easy to agree, although not really high praise either.

He was right.

I absolutely loved the space battle but my constructive criticism is how the tone of the episode was all over the place in awkward moments that didn't really work sometimes. In one scene during the battle we see part of the ships hull fail and a dozen of the crew members sucked into space. Then literally 5 seconds later we see Malloy piloting a Kryll starfighter cracking jokes in a funny bit like it's Independence Day.

You would expect there would be some sort memorial or something for the massive loss of life since the Union Fleet appeared to be decimated, but instead you just see Mercer talk to Admiral Halsey and the Kryll for a bit and that's it. It's just weird considering they throw Mickey Mouse parties at the drop of the hat but can't seem to commemorate their fallen comrades.

It's little things like that keeping the show from being truly special.

Xenon

Ok, I went from hating it to being a full on fan in a span of a week thanks to a binge on Hulu. It is without a doubt the best Trek out there right now. It's not perfect, but it pushes all the right buttons and even brings it's own identity to the show. I can't stand Seth's other shows habit of pounding cultural reference jokes into the ground but they are thankfully held to a minimum thanks to the future setting. SciFi and plot are not close to being the best but I enjoy watching the characters on the Orville make their journey. Last two episodes were great. But the one where Issac tries to end his relationship had me dying.

Last edited:
So, i'm in a star trek mood lately. Decided to give the orville a chance. I'm enjoying it. It's pretty much a star trek fanfic with hit or miss humor. They even have holodecks, food synthetizers. Only lacking teleportation i suppose.
But anyway, this episode about the trans baby was hard to watch. I was cringing the whole time. This "girl rules" crap was so on the nose. I hope the rest of the series isn't like this.

mcjmetroid

So, i'm in a star trek mood lately. Decided to give the orville a chance. I'm enjoying it. It's pretty much a star trek fanfic with hit or miss humor. They even have holodecks, food synthetizers. Only lacking teleportation i suppose.
But anyway, this episode about the trans baby was hard to watch. I was cringing the whole time. This "girl rules" crap was so on the nose. I hope the rest of the series isn't like this.
I think they consciously left out teleportation. There's only so many times you can make excuses for not being able to use it in a crisis situation.

It was getting cringy in star trek.

Ballthyrm

I finally go round to finishing this and I think it's the star trek show fans have been waiting for since DS9.

Season 2 is very very strong.

Puts all the modern star trek shows and movies to absolute shame

I blame the cast and the writers, must having been looking at what they were doing.

Davey Cakes

I started this recently and I’m just about finished with the season 2 finale.

It’s a really good casual take on the TNG formula. Some episodes hit the emotional notes you’d expect from Trek. Not too much technobabble, either.

Oddly enough, one of my favorite episodes is the Black Mirror-like one from the first season.

I kind of wish they’d get rid of J. Lee (LaMarr) though. The guy is a wet sack of a character.

Last edited:

tkscz

Watch a few episodes and really hits that Star Trek vibe. Humor can be either Seth's best stuff or low stuff but much better than his worst stuff.

Find it weird though that Seth makes an unofficial comedic take on Star Trek and it's a thousand times better than the official comedic take on Star Trek that copies Family Guy's style.

Davey Cakes

Find it weird though that Seth makes an unofficial comedic take on Star Trek and it's a thousand times better than the official comedic take on Star Trek that copies Family Guy's style.
It was a smart choice to move away from the semi-parodic direction of the pilot.

Top Bottom