• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds review thread

I figured as much. The silence was deafening around that question. The visuals for this game are just too perfect for hdr as well.... Big whiff right there.

I really hope HDR doesn't go the way of 3D support. A proper HDR implantation is truly next step shit. I think it's a much bigger step visually than 4k to be honest. It doesn't seem like many developers are into it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I figured as much. The silence was deafening around that question. The visuals for this game are just too perfect for hdr as well.... Big whiff right there.
lol the game is def worth it.
i feel like waiting to play it on the nintendo switch in some weird way no idea why

Tygeezy

I really hope HDR doesn't go the way of 3D support. A proper HDR implantation is truly next step shit. I think it's a much bigger step visually than 4k to be honest. It doesn't seem like many developers are into it.
It won't, most movie releases are coming out in HDR. Pretty much all netflix originals are hdr, same goes for prime video.

Siri

Banned
I decided to sign up for the pc gamepass - my first month cost me one dollar!

I also subscribed to Uplay+ for a month because I wanted to play Breakpoint and New Dawn without buying them. I also subscribed to Origin Premier for a year because it’s a really good service (especially if you’re into FIFA and Madden).

These services are saving me literally hundreds of dollars on the games I’m playing. But what’s interesting is that I’m not buying games impulsively anymore because my first thought is maybe the game will appear on one of the services I’m subscribed to? That’s actually happened three times now. I was astonished at how quickly A Plague Tale of Innocence was made available on Premier - I almost bought it too!

I intended to buy this (PC) but it's around £50 everywhere. Fuck that. So I downloaded Gamepass and subscribed. For £1. Downloading now.

I am fucked if I know how this is profitable for anyone, but I'm not complaining.

Roni

Gold Member
Shack News: "It doesn't tell you a story it asks you to make your own"

I don't get that. Does this game have little to no story? I thought this was a story driven game.

There's a difference to be made between a game that tells you a story and a game that lets you build your own.

A game that tells you a story picks what happens to you. A game that lets you build your own lets you pick what happens to you, to a degree.

DarkestHour

Banned
Strange. People were saying this goes live in a few hours but that appears to be incorrect. Epic is still telling me 10/25.

Vtecomega

Banned
Ummm, this game has completely disappeared from the xbox game store. Wtf? it should be available on game pass or to purchase but it doesn't exist.

Edit: Nvm I'm a dumb cunt. I found it..

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I’ll be talking a short break from the utterly wonderful Disco Elysium to test this out on my lunch break at work today. Can’t wait.

Tygeezy

AFAIK with a Xbox One X and a TV with freesync, you have that option now (although at a lower res and fps vs 2.1)
Samsung qleds 55 inch and above dating back to 2018 models support freesync over hdmi 2.0. It's great for 1080 p and 1440p with a wide range of 48-120 hz, but its nearly unusable at 4k due to the 60 hz ceiling. LG's 2019 oled lineup all support HDMI 2.1 VRR, but next year it should be going mainstream with sony, panasonic, sharp ect. They should all be somewhere in the 48-120 hz range at 4k. With that wide of range you get low framarate compensation so you won't get tearing if it drops below 48 fps. It will just double the refresh rate.

So I loved sakiro and gears is one of my favorite franchises. I had assumed and did think gears would be my game of the year. I also thought it would win game of the year from outlets

Then I played outerworlds. I havnt been this into a game in a long time. I recommend starting on hard. It really adapts to anything u do.i cant wait for part 2 on Scarlett. Good for xbox on buying them. This is for sure my game of the year

VAL0R

Banned
I'm nearing the end am I'm thinking of uninstalling it.
- This game feels like >50% putting your cursor over blue highlit items and pressing "X" to pick them up. Just give me a freaking perk that grabs all items near me. This is as fun as picking up my kids' Legos.
- These 10,000 different items serve no meaningful purpose. O, I can get a 20% increase in plasma resistance for 10 seconds? Worthless. The combat is very, very easy on normal and I'm never even going to read the descriptions on all of these medical items, let alone try to use them in strategy.
- Enemy combat AI can be mostly distilled to 1) standing there waiting to get shot (human) or 2) rushes you (creature)
- The environments have the same recycled props again and again and there is no feeling of a vast contiguous open-world, just a bunch of smallish hub areas linked by outdoor hallways.
- So many..loading...screens
- It's boring with some OK stuff in-between. I fall asleep a lot while playing it.
- The story is uninteresting to me.

This game is being overhyped. I don't think it's as fun as Crackdown 3 and that game was strapped to a whipping post.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Outer Worlds is more challenging on Supernova and all the food and water items become more relevant, as you need to eat and drink to stay alive. Hard or Supernova is the way to go. Normal is like easy in most games. I agree with you that some of the perks that last for like 15 seconds are kinda lame.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I started it on GamePass before my sub expired. I like these type of games except I just wanted to jump in. I skipped the cutscenes, created my character Rihana because I think the premade female looks like Rihana. The world reminds me of Borderlands and looking out at big cool objects in the landscape. The gameplay felt like Borderlands inside Fallout. It feels like they made their own hybrid Bethesda universe.

I’m not exactly ready for another story game this month, so maybe at another time. If I skipped all the dialogue and cutscenes in this game, would it still be a fun ride?

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I started it on GamePass before my sub expired. I like these type of games except I just wanted to jump in. I skipped the cutscenes, created my character Rihana because I think the premade female looks like Rihana. The world reminds me of Borderlands and looking out at big cool objects in the landscape. The gameplay felt like Borderlands inside Fallout. It feels like they made their own hybrid Bethesda universe.

I’m not exactly ready for another story game this month, so maybe at another time. If I skipped all the dialogue and cutscenes in this game, would it still be a fun ride?

No, this is an RPG not borderlands where the dialoge doesnt matter.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Not much fun. The shooting is serviceable, but there is no interesting loot outside of a few goofy science weapon and none of the combat encounters are particularly noteworthy. Enemy variety and behavior is exceptionally poor, as well, so going into this as a shoot & loot game is not the right approach. Your enjoyment of the game is going to come down to how much you can appreciate the world, characters, and writing.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Not much fun. The shooting is serviceable, but there is no interesting loot outside of a few goofy science weapon and none of the combat encounters are particularly noteworthy. Enemy variety and behavior is exceptionally poor, as well, so going into this as a shoot & loot game is not the right approach. Your enjoyment of the game is going to come down to how much you can appreciate the world, characters, and writing.
No, this is an RPG not borderlands where the dialoge doesnt matter.

Great feedback. Thanks. I was expecting that the story was important. It is Obsidian after all. The way the shooting and enemies sound is disappointing as those would stand out the most. At least the aesthetics look great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom