• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 Is Starting to Look Like the Revolution It Promised

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoofHearted

I asked you specific Qs. At first you deflected by insulting me instead of further engaging in discussion. Now you're back to being hyperbolic and pinpointing the amount of games instead of the things I asked.

Hmmm. Wonder why.
I answered your questions directly - you either didn’t comprehend my answers or just ignored my response - you’ve yet to answer my only question…

Clearly you either:

Don’t have the console and don’t appreciate an honest opinion from someone who does or, Want to instigate a console war with some random people on the web to defend Sony for some odd reason…

Keep up the good fight … and try to think outside of that plastic box you’re currently living in …

I answered your questions directly - you either didn’t comprehend my answers or just ignored my response - you’ve yet to answer my only question…

Clearly you either:

Don’t have the console and don’t appreciate an honest opinion from someone who does or, Want to instigate a console war with some random people on the web to defend Sony for some odd reason…

Keep up the good fight … and try to think outside of that plastic box you’re currently living in …

lmfaooo. This is the way to avoid being wrong now? Pretend you answered the Qs? You literally didn't answer one lmaooooo cmon bro grow up.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
PS5 already had a great line-up for its launch window and people seem to like it, or at least it has been breaking gaming history sales records and literally don't sell more because they can't produce more. And 99.999% of the people may appreciate them to get a 4K 60fps patch, but if not they don't care.

Launch window games have been enough to reach these record sales, but as you mentioned Ratchet, Horizon 2, GoW and so on are coming.
I can only speak to my opinion, which is what I've done in this thread. But as far as launch line-up, it was almost all cross-gen multiplats. Which I can have an equivalent or better experience on hardware that I already own. I'm not discrediting it being exciting for someone new to the game or used to the old hardware, but it's hardly exciting for ME to be stoked to play AC: Valhalla or Borderlands 3 on a PS5 and the exclusives that make owning a system worth it, just didn't scream to me as must plays.

I'm not sure why some of you are taking my opinion as some authority on speaking for everyone or even Anti-Sony or PC Master Race. I'm simply stating why it's not exciting to me or revolutionary in any real capacity yet. Some people here took offense to my opinion with no real valid counterpoint other than to name-call and dismiss. It is what it is. It's like this at the start of every new generation. There's people that have had better hardware for a while that are less than impressed and then those that have only stuck to what's on offer from the consoles that are crazy excited and then there are a third group of people that are in both camps that can be happy that the new shit exists and still not be excited with what is currently on offer.

I can only speak to my opinion, which is what I've done in this thread. But as far as launch line-up, it was almost all cross-gen multiplats. Which I can have an equivalent or better experience on hardware that I already own. I'm not discrediting it being exciting for someone new to the game or used to the old hardware, but it's hardly exciting for ME to be stoked to play AC: Valhalla or Borderlands 3 on a PS5 and the exclusives that make owning a system worth it, just didn't scream to me as must plays.

I'm not sure why some of you are taking my opinion as some authority on speaking for everyone or even Anti-Sony or PC Master Race. I'm simply stating why it's not exciting to me or revolutionary in any real capacity yet. Some people here took offense to my opinion with no real valid counterpoint other than to name-call and dismiss. It is what it is. It's like this at the start of every new generation. There's people that have had better hardware for a while that are less than impressed and then those that have only stuck to what's on offer from the consoles that are crazy excited and then there are a third group of people that are in both camps that can be happy that the new shit exists and still not be excited with what is currently on offer.

Tbf you did start it off by telling people who don't have the same opinion as you to get a reality check

Hezekiah

Banned
True revolution brings out the worst in people

Especially the PC guys
PC gamers who also play/accept consoles are fine. I've said many times that having a gaming PC and a Playstation brings the best gaming experience in terms of performance and quality of games.

It's the snooty PC owners who change their GPU and CPU every 18 months and feel the need to shout it from the rooftops and tell everyone about it that are the problem.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Tbf you did start it off by telling people who don't have the same opinion as you to get a reality check
I literally said:
if they were honest with themselves they'd admit that PS5 is essentially a new system that really is good for playing PS4 games at the moment. It's gonna be a while before we see exciting, new, groundbreaking games that make the purchase worth it for already existing PS4 owners.
If people want to interpret that as a slight/insult, I can't stop them from doing that. I'm excited for the start of the generation, just not excited enough yet. It's hardly the "revolution" as the article in the OP states at the moment. It may and probably will be revolutionary in the future, but as it stands, it's not.

Last edited:
I literally said:

If people want to interpret that as a slight/insult, I can't stop them from doing that. I'm excited for the start of the generation, just not excited enough yet.

So, people who don't think the same way as you are lying to themselves

That's not exactly what i'd call respectful. You can have your opinion but you can't sit here and pretend there wasn't some smugness involved

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
So, people who don't think the same way as you are lying to themselves

That's not exactly what i'd call respectful
giphy.gif

I mean...again. It's just my opinion, I'm not authority on how people will feel. Just how I would feel if I had a PS5. I'd be using my PS5 to play PS4 games. I simply would, my biggest complaint across all the PS4 games I own is the awful performance in some of the exclusives. I'd be playing those same games again on my PS5, I'd still be playing all other multiplats on my PC and the few exclusive PS5 games. Again, those few PS5 exclusives don't pull to me as must-have's and simply going back to play PS4 games doesn't make it an exciting purchase to me either. Not much more I can say.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I mean...again. It's just my opinion, I'm not authority on how people will feel. Just how I would feel if I had a PS5. I'd be using my PS5 to play PS4 games. I simply would, my biggest complaint across all the PS4 games I own is the awful performance in some of the exclusives. I'd be playing those same games again on my PS5, I'd still be playing all other multiplats on my PC and the few exclusive PS5 games. Again, those few PS5 exclusives don't pull to me as must-have's and simply going back to play PS4 games doesn't make it an exciting purchase to me either. Not much more I can say.

Well all i'm saying is if you don't want the pushback just stick to giving your own views on the console and avoid talking down on others for their views

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Well all i'm saying is if you don't want the pushback just stick to giving your own views on the console and avoid talking down on others for their views
Where have I talked down? You could maybe make the argument that I've been dismissive to some, but that's usually at those that are just trying to throw out terrible insults and refusing to even acknowledge any perspective other than their own.

I don't mind the pushback, sometimes we'll get some well reasoned and well written counter arguments, but one must usually wade through the, "lol, your dumb" arguments first, which I'm fine with. Is what it is. This place would be boring if we all just agreed with each other.

I disagree with Bryank75 Bryank75 ALL the time, but I love that he's a die-hard Sony fan and wears that shit on his sleeve. I know what to expect from him and can make my arguments counter to that with that understanding. I don't mind fanboyism, I DO get annoyed with blind-fanboyism, but it's to be expected on enthusiast forums. I don't like blind-fanboyism because it leads to acceptance of whatever is given, when if we can criticize things that should be criticized than we can get better products from developers and publishers.

Last edited:
Where have I talked down? You could maybe make the argument that I've been dismissive to some, but that's usually at those that are just trying to throw out terrible insults and refusing to even acknowledge any perspective other than their own.

I don't mind the pushback, sometimes we'll get some well reasoned and well written counter arguments, but one must usually wade through the, "lol, your dumb" arguments first, which I'm fine with. Is what it is. Place would be boring if we all just agreed with each other.

Your first post that I highlighted before

Last edited:

Alebrije

Revolutionariy vs PS4 :

SSHD
Dual sense
3d audio
Ray tracing

The rest are just regular generation improvements. for me PS5 has some.great new aspects and consider it a better jump than the one we got from.PS3 to PS4.

Hezekiah

Banned
He has no clue. He think if he's got a 5gb/s NVME and steam installed Outriders instantly loads into the game level like Spiderman, Returnal, or Demons souls.

The fact he thinks they are the same is the reason I put him on ignore. He could not show me games on PC or examples of the same tech in use in a PC title. Which is what I asked multiple times.
Yeah I have a Samsung 980 Pro and the loading times, while improved over a HDD are slightly disappointing.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The article in the OP if a fluff piece with no real substance. Sorry I can't be a part of your echo chamber that apparently no-one wants, but hates or dogpiles on any dissenting opinion. What should anyone else say in regards to the OP? YAY! Yippeee! SO MUCH WIN! I mean...what would be a better point of discussion for you that is more appropriate in relation to the O.P? Ya'll want discussion as long as it's comments that are only praising whatever fluff piece is being peddled. Befuddled indeed.
This is not a dissenting opinion but mocking rambling, making up straw men (“people only accept pure praise of fluff pieces” as if you were out there attacking every article of the kind… hint: you are not, your allergic reaction to such articles seems quite targeted…) refusing to listen and engage with people… while talking about echo chambers :rolleyes:.

Not saying you are shitting on the HW and you must love it, I personally think that even the games that have released so far (disagree on Astrobot being “just a demo” as a pejorative btw, it is a must play in and of itself for me) and are releasing now (R&C) do make a pretty good use case for getting the console (the UHD Blu-Ray playback, enhanced BC, and next gen patches for some games are the cherry on top).

Most consoles in their first year have a very very similar output of pure next generation exclusives. Not sure why this is called out so strongly.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Great, me love some good thread bumps
That's PC gamers once Bloodborne comes to PC later this year.
There I said it :D now in 3 days Jeff "Insider" MCGrubb will tell it the internet.
You know where you hear it first ! Do not forget to subscribe and hit on the notifications for more insider scoops and take a look at our new merch.

Joking

ethomaz

Banned
A little over a year after and PS5 has already a better limeup than PS4 had at the same time frame.

So yes it delivered big.

The biggest PS5 issue is the production… if Sony manage to break that barrage it will sky rocket in sales.

Last edited:
We haven't seen a revolution with either of the consoles yet.
If you were one of the people who held on to the thought that the SSD was somehow going to make games way better looking then I'm sorry.
We still have lod and pop in on both consoles. We haven't even eliminated that yet let alone revolutionise anything.

Great, me love some good thread bumps

That's PC gamers once Bloodborne comes to PC later this year.
There I said it :D now in 3 days Jeff "Insider" MCGrubb will tell it the internet.
You know where you hear it first ! Do not forget to subscribe and hit on the notifications for more insider scoops and take a look at our new merch.

Joking
People have been saying "you heard it here first" that Bloodborne is coming to PC this year since Bloodborne launched in 2015.

I'm sure he would say that though. These guys throw everything at the wall, miss 9 out of 10 times, but when that tenth happens, expect the "I told you so"s to come.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
We haven't seen a revolution with either of the consoles yet.
Is more nuance than that.

If you were one of the people who held on to the thought that the SSD was somehow going to make games way better looking then I'm sorry.
Well, dumb people think dumb things.

We still have lod and pop in on both consoles. We haven't even eliminated that yet let alone revolutionise anything.
Technology is not magic.

Zeroing

Banned
People have been saying "you heard it here first" that Bloodborne is coming to PC this year since Bloodborne launched in 2015.

I'm sure he would say that though. These guys throw everything at the wall, miss 9 out of 10 times, but when that tenth happens, expect the "I told you so"s to come.
Bloodbourne is coming back for the PS6. Same way as a PS3 souls game came back for the PS5... It is not hard to understand the possible pattern.
People need attention, that is why I do not trust any rumours and so on.

MadPanda

Banned
We’re still in a cross-gen phase unfortunately, I still have it bookmarked cause when current-gen only titles start coming out, it ain’t gonna be “slightly” better graphics with faster load times. And I know I’ll be proven right on that this gen.

You said in the near future. As things are looking, that's exactly what we'll get two years after. We all know that five years after the launch games will be much better, doesn't take a genius for that. Even then, I don't expect a revolution.

3liteDragon

You said in the near future. As things are looking, that's exactly what we'll get two years after. We all know that five years after the launch games will be much better, doesn't take a genius for that. Even then, I don't expect a revolution.
I thought we’d be past cross-gen pretty quick & yet we are. I’d say it won’t even take 5 years to see it with SM2 coming next year, I’m still expecting it to be a revolution by the end of this gen.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
We’re still in a cross-gen phase unfortunately, I still have it bookmarked cause when current-gen only titles start coming out, it ain’t gonna be “slightly” better graphics with faster load times. And I know I’ll be proven right on that this gen.
But you said near future. It's clear that we are a year in from your post and that future is still years away. Shmunter mentioned how hes looking forward to that KZ shadowfall moment, and I have to agree. Aside from the Matrix tech demo, not a single Sony or Microsoft or third party game has been released or even showcased that even comes close.

Everyone has dropped the ball. No one wants to make next gen games. I was excited to see Avatar and Starfield after last year, but it's literally been a year and they had nothing to show. We trash sony for their shitty state of plays but how can MS literally go silent for an entire year? Can we get an update every six months or do we have to wait a year to get a new trailer? When are they even going to come out? Hardly doubt it will be this year given how we havent seen any gameplay.

Spiderman's teaser was too short to leave any kind of impression and aside from Spiderman and a CG Wolverine teaser, Sony has shown fuck all for their revolutionary console's near future. It is insane. Everyone has phoned in this gen. Everyone except for Epic which is tirelessly working on selling the future Mark Cerny promised 3 years ago.

Last edited:
PS5 definitely surprising by outclassing XsX in most comparisons. The RT at 60fps on first party titles is also unexpected. But apart from that, still looking for that Killzone Shadowfall moment this gen.
I'm more invested in Ps5 than xbox as I only own a xb1x but how has ps5 been outvlassing xbsx in most comparisons? It's factually the other way around. I can't think of any recent multiplats that have ran better on ps5 than Series x. I can think of a few off the top of my head that are better on series x though.

Granted, most comparisons are very close and sometimes they're equal but let's see hitman 3, far cry 6, lego skywalkers have higher res and better performance on series x.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's not stretched it's legs properly yet, and I hope it does soon. Everything is pretty much cross gen so we haven't had chance to witness anything special....the big question is will we?....I hope so. Another 4 years of the same old games with slightly prettier graphics and faster loading seems like it could be inevitable though thanks to the last 2 years of Shite with the pandemic.

Hopefully games using unreal engine 5 come out soon, but i really don't know what's on the cards after god of war. We need some exciting new info.

I don't know how Sony manage game production around such dire hardware manufacturing. How do you budget for that? Have any of this gens games sold extremely well for them? I guess gran tourismo is doing well? We haven't really had an update on any other game right?

Fredrik

Sorry to be cranky but both XSX and PS5 has honestly been a big fat meh so far for me. Both consoles looks to be weaker than I expected, a few great games are out but none has blown me away tech wise, Ratchet is the one that has impressed me the most but it’s not enough. Maybe Starfield will impress, we’ll see, but I’ll play that on PC anyway so idk 🤷‍♂️

Allandor

Sorry to be cranky but both XSX and PS5 has honestly been a big fat meh so far for me. Both consoles looks to be weaker than I expected, a few great games are out but none has blown me away tech wise, Ratchet is the one that has impressed me the most but it’s not enough. Maybe Starfield will impress, we’ll see, but I’ll play that on PC anyway so idk 🤷‍♂️
Currently the biggest problem is the attach rate. Sony can't deliver enough PS5 so it would be a viable option for AAA-title creators just to bring out the game on the current gen. And it seems this problem won't be solved on the next 2 years so be prepared for many more cross gen title's.

The other problem that people aren't blown away is that almost everything so far was possible before just in a bit worse resolution and quality. And doubling frame rates makes games much better to play but that comes at the cost of visual eye candy. So coming from a PS4 pro is not that much of an improvement except loading times.
Same applies to the Xbox consoles.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I don't think you are being cranky, and I am with you. We were promised so much this gen and for the first time in a while I even fell for it. I was sold on the super fast SSD dream and RDNA 2 magic etc. Velocity architecture. all this marketing speak. Yes, I think the consoles have some amazing quality of life improvements thanks to the SSD ( loading and quick resume) but now, 2 years in. I am thinking they got me with the hype cycle. Games will just be the same old shit....just less of them and more delays, nothing super exciting or revolutionary...every one is sticking to the focus tested tried and tested formula we have seen for years that is supposed to guarantee a certain amount of sales.

I am convinced we wont see the PS5 or series X used in true meaningful ways this gen. Maybe next gen, Sony will make good on Cernys talks of how levels can be designed etc thanks to the SSD. Maybe we get a CPU designed around AMD's 3D cache coupled with an awesome GPU that uses true machine learning upscaling and has a decent array of raytracing cores coupled with an impressive SSD and it all works.

It's going to take years to find developers that can learn how to use engines, and the hardware. Everyone will move to Unreal Engine 5 ( or a lot) and developers will try to latch on to the next big thing that sells gang busters.

Not to be a debby downer but I am convinced that software is not performing well for any one across the board, apart from a few outliers. Nothing compared to what Sony were seeing in the peak of the PS4 and this will further hamper development as they push more towards PC and keeping the PS4 around for longer as they can't manufacture enough PS5s.

skit_data

I think this gen will be among the best, I already have a backlog of first party games (Horizon FW and R&C Rift Apart) despite buying almost exclusively PS Studios games which is pretty unusual for Playstation.

yurinka

I understand you may be happy with the console. It's a great piece of hardware with cool, new stuff (like the gamepad or the ssd) and a great amount of top tier games, both exclusive and multi. But a "revolution"? Seriously?

And btw, who 'promised' a 'revolution'?

Last edited:
Its been 1.5 years, how many ground breaking games were out on the ps4 at this point? Some of you are drama queens to the highest degree
Exactly!PS5 has seen already amazing games like Ratchet or Demons Souls and best graphics ever with Horizon.God of war is on the way plus smaller Games like Stray are also on their way.almost all of PlayStation studios didn’t show what their working on.Even Gurella has capacity for three games at the same time other Sony studios too.There will be a lot of major games in 2023-24 for PlayStation.I think after God of War there will be no other crossgen games maybe smaller ones.

Topher

Gold Member
I understand you may be happy with the console. It's a great piece of hardware with cool, new stuff (like the gamepad or the ssd) and a great amount of top tier games, both exclusive and multi. But a "revolution"? Seriously?

And btw, who 'promised' a 'revolution'?

And who asked for a revolution? Last time I remember there being a revolution in consoles the industry was derailed with motion controls. No thanks. I'm quite happy with evolution.

Just keep the games coming. That the only promise I expected to be kept and it has been.

Xbox won pub of the year and have higher MC year but games take them back to reality ...this article is bs...cmon

You are replying to a nearly year old post that wasn't referring to anything but PlayStation games.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
And who asked for a revolution? Last time I remember there being a revolution in consoles the industry was derailed with motion controls. No thanks. I'm quite happy with evolution.

Just keep the games coming. That the only promise I expected to be kept and it has been.

You are replying to a nearly year old post that wasn't referring to anything but PlayStation games.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF
oh u didn't realized it btw wasn't me that bumped this thread...but seeing how things have evolved between ue5, acquisitions and awards won shows how short-sighted all this was from the start...as i said a utterly BS article

Last edited:

Fredrik

Currently the biggest problem is the attach rate. Sony can't deliver enough PS5 so it would be a viable option for AAA-title creators just to bring out the game on the current gen. And it seems this problem won't be solved on the next 2 years so be prepared for many more cross gen title's.

The other problem that people aren't blown away is that almost everything so far was possible before just in a bit worse resolution and quality. And doubling frame rates makes games much better to play but that comes at the cost of visual eye candy. So coming from a PS4 pro is not that much of an improvement except loading times.
Same applies to the Xbox consoles.
Yeah that’s a good summary. It’s just a mellow start, and within a year or so it’s time for mid gen upgrades. The Unreal Engine 5 Matrix demo felt properly next gen, but couldn’t hold 30fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom