• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 sucks, actually - Desperate blogger creates clickbait article and headline

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
No offense to you personally but I can't take anyone serious who thinks that the PS5 launch was worse than the PS3 or PS4 (I'm referring to the launch window games)
Oh, that's okay. No offense, but I don't care who or what you take seriously.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So, I came across this stellar piece of gaming journalism: The Article

Basically, it can be summarized into the following key points:

- SSD expansion is a mess
- Smart Delivery is better then the mess PS5/PS4 has.
- No native solution to better improve older games
- No faceplates
- Playstation Plus sucks
- No Backwards compatibility
- No Quick Resume
- No Dolby Vision or Atmos support
- No 1440p
- Submenus and turning off the console is a pain
fixable
Truth
Can't play older games (I'm assuming he means PS3 and before) to begin with, so why would they have this
- No faceplates
Oh my God what ever shall we do
- Playstation Plus sucks
Opinion. I guess it depends on what games you have and what games you like and also what you're comparing it to. Games with Gold is even more trash IMO, mostly due to GamePass I assume.
PS4 is technically backwards compatible right? So maybe not as extensive as XSX, but the author still shouldn't just neglect what PS5 does have
- No Quick Resume
Truth
They have Tempest 3D Audio, Microsoft made Dolby Exclusive. Don't see this as a deal breaker
- No 1440p
This does suck...but until Devs start giving games more options out the gate it's not gonna make much difference
I don't have a PS5 yet, but I've only seem one other instance of people complaining about this. Is it really that bad?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So what was better?

Instead of telling him he's wrong, show us the work.

Ps5 launch is better because?
Everyone knows the lineup already but sure

Notable PS3 launch window titles
Resistance Fall of Man
Ridge Racer

Notable PS4 launch window titles
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
Infamous Second Son

Notable PS5 launch window titles
Demon Souls
Spider-man Miles Morales
Returnal
Sackboy
Astro's Playroom

Also in the 1st year
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Guilty Gear Strive

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Everyone knows the lineup already but sure

Notable PS3 launch window titles
Resistance Fall of Man
Ridge Racer

Notable PS4 launch window titles
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
Infamous Second Son

Notable PS5 launch window titles
Demon Souls
Spider-man Miles Morales
Returnal
Sackboy
Astro's Playroom

Also in the 1st year
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Guilty Gear Strive
Why is your "launch window" so much wider on PS5?

If we used your launch window games by old generation only Demons Souls would be allowed and it's a Remake

Hobbygaming

Why is your "launch window" so much wider on PS5?

If we used your launch window games by old generation only Demons Souls would be allowed and it's a Remake
It isn't. There wasn't anything good that released on the other consoles in the same time frame

And why wouldn't a remake count? Are games like Resident Evil 2 remake not worth playing??

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

There are currently 54 PlayStation 2 games playable on PlayStation 4/5.

There are currently 42 Xbox games playable on Xbox One/Series.

salt salting GIF
There are 0 xbox games available on PS5

There are over 3850 PS2 games available on Xbox Series

😂

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It isn't. There wasn't anything good that released on the other consoles in the same time frame
So same as this gen then.....

In 10 Years looking back.

Or do you think 10 years from now ppl will be talking about Rsturnal and Destruction: All Stars?

Godfall?

Sackboy?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
in current market for 400-500usd ?
Fucking rx 6600xt 1080p60card is like 380 alone....
So both of these consoles are perfect. For those who don't own a pc? Just get both or ps5(because most xbox games + exclusives).
Even if You put 2k usd into a pc, it will still fail to have fast loading times, startup etc as those consoles.

Last edited:

Freeman76

ps5 is a good console...but it is behind the XSX in feature that when I go from my SX to PS5 I do miss those features. Quick resume is probably the one I miss the most, but everything on the list listed isn't wrong. I think saying "PS5 needs to catch up in areas" is better. But sony has 0 incentive too...why catch up when you don't have to as market leader. I think once Xbox services inevitably start to surpass PS net revenue then you'll see some changes, but until then they have 0 incentive to add these features.
TRUTH! Rare to see a voice of reason in a thread like this.

Hobbygaming

Exactly.

You know they are mostly forgot about already, and won't be classics

Nobody in 2040 is saying "I wish I could play Sackboy" or Deztruction All Stars.
These are really good games and if you check their scores on metacritic

Demon Souls 92
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart 88
Guilty Gear Strive 87
Returnal 86
Spider-man MM 85
Astro's Playroom 83
Sackboy 79

How many consoles have done this in their 1st year. Let's give credit where credit is due, my friend

Yeah, all of that extra stuff is meaningless to me. I'm all about the games and will always be. The push for features over games is ridiculous IMO

Tell me about it. It's just a niche group of xbox fans who live in a bubble thinking xbox is getting anywhere near close to PS anytime soon. The only notable game on the new system is a fucking flight simulator. Let that sink in. It's no wonder they keep going on about BC all the time and other dumb shit.

Last edited:

Garani

I've been subbed since it was first launched on PS3 and I can't complain. Awesome games and I get to keep them forever (as long as I remain subbed)

And if you were to take a break and then resub, you'll find the games that you aquired while first subbing are still there for you to download and play.

Software. Quick resume is exactly the same as resuming from putting the console to sleep which the PS5 already does. The memory is dumped to the hard drive and loaded back upon turning it back on. Quick resume does the same thing but for multiple games at once. Sony either just didn't think of it or didn't want to reserve that much more hard drive space for the feature when SSD space is already at a premium.

Sony did talk about it. They believe that activity cards are just as good as quick resume, which I tend to agree, but the downside is that they are available only if the developer implements the functionality and PS4 games are not included in this feature.

Kimahri

Banned
Do you always get this worked up when someone says something negative about your baby box? Breath dude, breathe. It's just words on a screen, not your life.

Warablo

Ive always found Xbox having the superior/modern/updated features but Sony really brought the games last gen while Microsoft did nothing. Not to mention their horrible launch.

Nothing wrong describing flaws of Sony or PS5, just like how Microsoft has flaws especially with no first party games in forever.

kyliethicc

Fun fact: more PS2 games can be played on XSX than the last two generations of Playstation.

Also, streaming from a server isn't backwards compatibility.
They can be bought and downloaded from PSN. This has nothing to do with PS Now streaming.

Also, emulation is illegal. Not a valid argument.

"How much does the XBSX cost?" "Its free if you steal it."
"How much does the PS5 cost?" "Its free if you steal it."
"How much does Game Pass cost?" "Its free if you steal it."

This is your brilliant logic. Yes, once we add crime into the discussion many aspects of the comparison change.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So like everyone else here.....

Nobody reads the article or the OP, they just comment on the title.

Hense all the angry knee-jerk posts.
Often a summary is enough to judge if something is worth your time.

Also, emulation is illegal.
That’s not quite true though,
It is illegal to hack a console in order to develop an emulator.
It is also illegal to pirate games to play them on an emulator.
However, emulation itself, and backing up games you own isn’t illegal.

Last edited:

KingT731

fixable
I don't have a PS5 yet, but I've only seem one other instance of people complaining about this. Is it really that bad?
The thing is with the SSD expansion only these "influencers" and "journalists" seem to believe it's super confusing or difficult to put a m.2 drive in. Yes the X-Box solution is simpler. Does that mean the PS5 solution is bad or difficult? No.

As for the menu thing it's the exact same group of people. You legit only have to tap the PS button and scroll over to the power icon and select your option (Turn PS5 Off, Restart or Set PS5 in Rest Mode). The issue here just seems to be that it's different from the PS4 whereas on Xbox it's exactly the same.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
I agree the PS5 sucks, nobody around me is interested in getting one which is very odd (or not).

But the journalist's PS5 critique is bland and incomplete.

Notabueno

Banned
Often a summary is enough to judge if something is worth your time.

That’s not quite true though,
It is illegal to hack a console in order to develop an emulator.
It is also illegal to pirate games to play them on an emulator.
However, emulation itself, and backing up games you own isn’t illegal.

It is not illegal to hack a console at all, it is illegal to reproduce and distribute IP protected system software, which is why emulation development is tricky and beautiful: you have to reproduce the functionality of the code for different platform in a way that can play games but without copying or using any of the original source code since it's protected.

Topher

Gold Member
I agree the PS5 sucks, nobody around me is interested in getting one which is very odd (or not).

But the journalist's PS5 critique is bland and incomplete.

That's a weird take. The journalists criticism is "bland and incomplete", but you agree because no one around you wants one?

Push PS button to submenu. Move to power. select Turn off ps5.

Thirty7ven

Banned
There are a lot of vocal xbox fanboys in the games media, which is normal because these are the same people who grew up listening to 1up and the likes during the 360 years and then came into the industry.

So every year we get these hot takes, regardless of what’s going on.

Just so we don’t mistake things, the Xbox One was absolute 🗑 and we still saw these cats sticking with the Xbox one as their main console. It is what it is.

supernova8

Banned
If it's just a bloggers opinion, why are you so angry/upset over some dudes opinion?

Just ignore it and carry on enjoying the console.

I'll never understand why people take to heart someone else's opinion regardless of how true or false it may be.

Some of the complaints are genuinely valid too, others a little confusing as it does have backwards compatibility though.

Fanboys careful clicking the link, a ps5 being crushed/destroyed might trigger some of you.

not just that, a seemingly random blog that I doubt many people have even heard of.

Derktron

Banned
I wonder how the difference would be if it was the other way around for Xbox and Nintendo and hell even PC. The bias is real still.

dcmk7

Banned
These are really good games and if you check their scores on metacritic

Demon Souls 92
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart 88
Guilty Gear Strive 87
Returnal 86
Spider-man MM 85
Astro's Playroom 83
Sackboy 79

How many consoles have done this in their 1st year. Let's give credit where credit is due, my friend
Top post and totally agree. PS5 players have had quite a lot to play and it's still not even a year old yet.

As a console manufacturer, the games are obviously the key selling point, so it's good to see Sony were prepared with next gen games from the get go.

I do like the points you raise, and it's a shame the person you're discussing with will never understand since he's very resentful to all things PlayStation.

ps5 is a good console...but it is behind the XSX in feature that when I go from my SX to PS5 I do miss those features. Quick resume is probably the one I miss the most, but everything on the list listed isn't wrong. I think saying "PS5 needs to catch up in areas" is better. But sony has 0 incentive too...why catch up when you don't have to as market leader. I think once Xbox services inevitably start to surpass PS net revenue then you'll see some changes, but until then they have 0 incentive to add these features.
Complacency can be a bitch..especially if you're the "market leader"

Interfectum

Complacency can be a bitch..especially if you're the "market leader"
This is Sony's biggest problem right now. While they are still doing better in sales and, arguably released games, they are letting Microsoft run away with features and direction of the market.

I'm honestly starting to question whether Sony even cares about leading or directing the video game market anymore. It feels like they are giving MS the torch and simply going the route of Nintendo and carving out their section and staying there.

ClosBSAS

launching games takes seconds with these SSD's why do you need quick resume? why do people who say this play multiple games at once its so weird - get your ADD in check. PS Plus is amazing and since the PS5 has launched they have had great games. I dunno what you're saying about the dpad but whatever floats your weird boat- its not terrible, that's objective not subjective.
Ps plus is terrible...come on man, trying to defend ps plus vs gamepass, no competition, gamepass wipes the floor with ps plus.

Yes, dpad is subjective, i dont like it...i like the xbox controller a lot more for comfort so i dont know why u get so offended that i dislike playstation yet i bought it and use it to play demons.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

fixable
Truth
Can't play older games (I'm assuming he means PS3 and before) to begin with, so why would they have this
- No faceplates
Oh my God what ever shall we do
- Playstation Plus sucks
Opinion. I guess it depends on what games you have and what games you like and also what you're comparing it to. Games with Gold is even more trash IMO, mostly due to GamePass I assume.
PS4 is technically backwards compatible right? So maybe not as extensive as XSX, but the author still shouldn't just neglect what PS5 does have
- No Quick Resume
Truth
They have Tempest 3D Audio, Microsoft made Dolby Exclusive. Don't see this as a deal breaker
- No 1440p
This does suck...but until Devs start giving games more options out the gate it's not gonna make much difference
I will say I greatly miss Atmos when gaming on the PS5, even the fake Atmos up conversion the XSX does with non native Atmos games makes them sound far better than they do on the PS5. Tempest is so far a dud imo as a Home theater equipped gamer, headphones are for peasants.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I wonder how the difference would be if it was the other way around for Xbox and Nintendo and hell even PC. The bias is real still.

Then that article would be receiving similar negative reactions from "Xbox and Nintendo and hell even PC" fans that this article is receiving from PlayStation fans.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

I will say I greatly miss Atmos when gaming on the PS5, even the fake Atmos up conversion the XSX does with non native Atmos games makes them sound far better than they do on the PS5. Tempest is so far a dud imo as a Home theater equipped gamer, headphones are for peasants.

Home theater is not supported yet by Tempest. It is currently in beta.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
That's a weird take. The journalists criticism is "bland and incomplete", but you agree because no one around you wants one?

Push PS button to submenu. Move to power. select Turn off ps5.

No, because if you want to have a critical take on the PS5 you have to have substantial subjective or objective arguments, the ones presented by the journalists are a little biased but also not that relevant.

For me and many colleagues or friends the PS5 is no-go because: it's too damn fat and ugly (I won't go into explaining the ins and outs of cognitive and interior landscape design), badly designed (cramming too much units in a small area making for a huge heat output that necessitate a ridiculously huge outtake and vent) and programmed (they failed on adopting any of the relevant tech for upsampling, primitive geometry, raytracing, spatial sound, vrr...), doesn't have decent BC support as it should've been nowadays (unlike the Xbox or my PC which can emulate everything between PS1, 2, 3, PSP and Vita), no relevant or innovative capabilities (it just has an ultra bluray and haptics and that's it) and finally it just doesn't have any games besides Ratchet and Horizon next year (the rest is either on PS4, PC, Switch or I don't care for it like remakes or multiplats).

I think these would significantly more relevant and marked reasons to criticize the PS5 than the pesky details mentioned by the pseudo-journalist.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Top post and totally agree. PS5 players have had quite a lot to play and it's still not even a year old yet.

As a console manufacturer, the games are obviously the key selling point, so it's good to see Sony were prepared with next gen games from the get go.

I do like the points you raise, and it's a shame the person you're discussing with will never understand since he's very resentful to all things PlayStation.
Yup, I play along knowing that he just likes to spew hate towards Sony. PS doesn't get enough credit for spoiling us at the end of the last generation, and then spoiling us at the start of this generation

Other manufacturers seemingly got a pass with not having anything ready

Topher

Gold Member
No, because if you want to have a critical take on the PS5 you have to have substantial subjective or objective arguments, the ones presented by the journalists are a little biased but also not that relevant.

For me and many colleagues or friends the PS5 is no-go because: it's too damn fat and ugly (I won't go into explaining the ins and outs of cognitive and interior landscape design), badly designed (cramming too much units in a small area making for a huge heat output that necessitate a ridiculously huge outtake and vent) and programmed (they failed on adopting any of the relevant tech for upsampling, primitive geometry, raytracing, spatial sound, vrr...), doesn't have decent BC support as it should've been nowadays (unlike the Xbox or my PC which can emulate everything between PS1, 2, 3, PSP and Vita), no relevant or innovative capabilities (it just has an ultra bluray and haptics and that's it) and finally it just doesn't have any games besides Ratchet and Horizon next year (the rest is either on PS4, PC, Switch or I don't care for it like remakes or multiplats).

I think these would significantly more relevant and marked reasons to criticize the PS5 than the pesky details mentioned by the pseudo-journalist.

Certainly you can see the differences between the opinions you've expressed here and "nobody around me is interested in getting one" though.

Whatever you say cowboy

Right....cuz no one would pay any attention to an article saying "Xbox Series X sucks"? Are you being serious?

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
Certainly you can see the differences between the opinions you've expressed here and "nobody around me is interested in getting one" though.

Right....cuz no one would pay any attention to an article saying "Xbox Series X sucks". Are you being serious?
Sure, the difference is those colleagues both work and are revelatory or analysis, trendcasting and media production so...I'll take it as a more relevant indication of where the PS5 really stands on the long-term (granted the strategy and releases will change) than people with no critical outlook or opinion.

Hobbygaming

This is interesting the things you list here as more 1st party PS5 titles have real time raytracing so far, 3D audio is incredible is and is coming to TVs in a update and so is vrr (shoutout to Riky)

Topher

Gold Member
Sure, the difference is those colleagues both work and are revelatory or analysis, trendcasting and media production so...I'll take it as a more relevant indication of where the PS5 really stands on the long-term (granted the strategy and releases will change) than people with no critical outlook or opinion.

You can take it as you want, but it is simply anecdotal references to me. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom