• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company has released 2 new videos for Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl & Pokémon Legends: Arceus

Codes 208

NOOO THEY BROUGHT BACK HM MOVES, FUCK!

other than that P/D are looking better than it did at its reveal, its not as sterile and stiff-looking

Last edited:

Himuro

DP remake looking so much better. I'm really confused by the mish mashed aesthetic though. The in battle character designs really don't gel well with the cutesy chibi look. Bizarre decision but it's looking much better. I'm sure both teams are working very hard and I'm looking forward to both.

Codes 208

Actually on second thought, apparently the poketch summons wild pokemon nearby to use HM’s so theres no need for HM slaves, huzzah!

Evilms

Banned
Wii level graphics
16371-full.png

1632837536-fax-oxzxsam1g76.jpg

928_p04_02.jpg

1632837511-fax-nkqxmac-xcl.jpg

1632837515-fax-oeax0auyfm2.jpg

928_p11_01.jpg

Last edited:

Codes 208

Damn even Botw looked 10 times better than this shit but unfortunately people will buy regardless
BotW was made in house with nintendo giving it 100% attention. The game still looks like one of the best switch games out there (aside from maybe odyssey)

gamefreak =/= nintendo. Theyre known for cutting corners and they clearly havent settled on 3d models very well (though the remakes dont look too bad but theyre also a lot more limited with what they can do so they better look good)

Fbh

Looks like a prototype student game made in Unity.

One student kinda knows Blender, the other student kinda knows Unity, neither has any taste in filters.

It literally does.
It's not only the ugly visuals, the art direction is also all over the place. The ugly and basic environments don't mesh too well with the cartoony Pokemon, it literally looks like someone bought the cheapest environment assets on the unity store and then threw some pokemon models in there.

Look at a proper game Like Dragons Dogma running on the exact same hardware:

Not only are the visuals nicer and environments more interesting, there's also much greater visual cohesion in the art direction

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Gameplay in Legends Arceus looks like a lot of fun. Didn't expect you'd be able to catch pokemon mid-mount and looks like you can do entire battles with just your trainer?

Been playing D/P in prep for the remakes. I've already gotten use to the style, so just looking forward to playing a new version in a couple months.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
BotW was made in house with nintendo giving it 100% attention. The game still looks like one of the best switch games out there (aside from maybe odyssey)

gamefreak =/= nintendo. Theyre known for cutting corners and they clearly havent settled on 3d models very well (though the remakes dont look too bad but theyre also a lot more limited with what they can do so they better look good)
I love BotW but it’s really not that great looking compared to the likes of Mario Odyssey, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Mario Rabbids, ARMS and third party ports like Witcher 3 and the DOOM games. Even Fortnite is impressive considering World size and player count.

BotW was a WiiU game ported to Switch with a resolution boost and more stable framerate. BotW 2 should look much better because it was built from the ground up for Switch which has a much better CPU, an extra 1GB ram and a more powerful / more modern GPU.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Arceus does look like a last gen game, but honestly, I don't play Pokemon for graphical fidelity lol

The Japanese aesthetic, open world and new features are enough to have me interested. Might be day 1, might not. Will wait for impressions closer to launch.

Codes 208

I love BotW but it’s really not that great looking compared to the likes of Mario Odyssey, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Mario Rabbids, ARMS and third party ports like Witcher 3 and the DOOM games. Even Fortnite is impressive considering World size and player count.

BotW was a WiiU game ported to Switch with a resolution boost and more stable framerate. BotW 2 should look much better because it was built from the ground up for Switch which has a much better CPU, an extra 1GB ram and a more powerful / more modern GPU.
Id say it looks fantastic for its aesthetic especially when using hd emulators. Most of the games in your selection looke good too but i find them less impressice as theyre more linear unlike botw which is a massive open world sandbox (barring odyssey and witcher 3, though witcher 3 looks blurry at times and is a considerable drop in resolution to botw)

PSYGN

It's so disappointing to see a franchise known for its technical leaps and bounds fall so short in the graphics and sound department. I can't believe it.

McCheese

Fcnrnio.jpg

I'm baffled, are these re-used textures from a 3DS game or are they making new incredibly low-resolution textures for this game? It's not even an art-style thing, they are all stretched before the shaders are even applied.

For comparison here is half-life 1 running at a similar resolution, remember this is a 23 year old game:

gyNW5kGiTcAEHHDRxx3Wqm-970-80.jpg.webp

Last edited:
It's so disappointing to see a franchise known for its technical leaps and bounds fall so short in the graphics and sound department. I can't believe it.
Technical leaps and bounds? Gamefreak known for that?!

Only Hal laboratory and genius sonority gave a rats about pushing technical stuff.

These Pokemon threads are all the same.

Old men whining about frame rates and polygon counts of children’s game- which don’t affect the sales of these one iota.
If this game was only bought by children then it probably wouldn't have good sales.

This game series is probably bought more by adults who grew up with pokemon, then the current generation of children.

eNT1TY

Game Freak is by far Nintendo's least talented studio across the board from technical to creative. Pokemon deserves better.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Id say it looks fantastic for its aesthetic especially when using hd emulators. Most of the games in your selection looke good too but i find them less impressice as theyre more linear unlike botw which is a massive open world sandbox (barring odyssey and witcher 3, though witcher 3 looks blurry at times and is a considerable drop in resolution to botw)
BotW is definitely stunning at 4K (or anything above 1080p with good as) on an emulator. It’s dynamic 900p on Switch when docked though. Saying that even at 4K on PC it’s textures are poor and the low lod and foliage density definitely stand out showing it’s WiiU origins. It will be a prime candidate for a Switch 2 patch or rerelease in a few years that’s for sure.

TheAssist

Its so funny to me that this is the highest grossing franchise in existence, but their trailers look like they are made within a few hours by the kid of someone who works in the company. Honestly, I would almost say that my first "Trailers" that I cut back when I was 15 look better than this.

Its so sterile and undynamic. The Sound fx is way too loud and does not fit at all, its not even timed correctly.

That shouldnt say anything about the game though, its just funny how they dont even bother spending money on these things because they know people will buy it anyway.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
GameFreak games were always so underwhelming.
They hold one of the most popular franchise and this is all they can do.

GeekyDad

253176.jpg

Nothing's gonna beat those cute little top-down graphics -- the perfect mix of polygonal environments and chibi characters. But it's cool they're updating it all the same.

Pokemon is a billion dollar franchise, why in the hell are they still putting out games that look worse than your average Xbox 360 game?

It's because people keep buying their games anyway, isn't it?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Pokemon is a billion dollar franchise, why in the hell are they still putting out games that look worse than your average Xbox 360 game?

It's because people keep buying their games anyway, isn't it?
Man the 360 produced some brilliant graphics. Legends Arceus does legitimately look like a halfway house between OG Xbox and 360 graphics. The texture work is just bad on Arceus, pop in issues, stiff movement. They have over 20 years under their belt, I don’t know how it can look so basic compared to 360 games.

6843c33c23bacfa48745c54852a0fbc0.jpg

SpokkX

damn Arceus looks bad

This would not even have looked good on gamecube (except for the resolution i guess..)

Fake

These Pokemon threads are all the same.

Old men whining about frame rates and polygon counts of children’s game- which don’t affect the sales of these one iota.

Sales is a pretty common argument for the white knights you know.

Top Bottom