• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Problem with Gamepass…

SteadyEvo

It all depends on internet connection and MS servers. Wanted to play before bed and every game I try says I don’t own it or check connection. Quick search shows others having the same issue. Not a big deal as I need to sleep but this is somewhat concerning. I will say Xbox is very consistent in my experience but this is the downside of going digital/renting with Gamepass.

S0ULZB0URNE

WEF-own-nothing-be-happy.png
Why I don't use it and won't use Spartan on PS5.

DaGwaphics

It all depends on internet connection and MS servers. Wanted to play before bed and every game I try says I don’t own it or check connection. Quick search shows others having the same issue. Not a big deal as I need to sleep but this is somewhat concerning. I will say Xbox is very consistent in my experience but this is the downside of going digital/renting with Gamepass.

Did you check the status of the network from system settings? If you set your Xbox as your home console you should be able to launch GP software for up to a month without a connection (as long as you have run the software at least once after download). If you have a spotty connection, I would recommend always starting each title after you finish downloading it.

Jennings

While I have also experienced the same problem OP talks about, I still think the service is a cheap way to demo otherwise over-costed games as a way to figure out which ones to buy on sale down the road, and in that respect I enjoy buying into a month of it once a year.

Last edited:
maybe a setting to automatically fill your drives up with every game when it gets released. That way it will always be on standby. Automatically delete the oldest never played game when full.

Chukhopops

You can play GP games offline if you have set your Xbox as your home console in the settings.

FritzJ92

The problem is your internet and settings. Make Xbox your home console and once a month you need to log online for like a minute and go back offline

Fredrik

How much data do you need to transfer to play through Gamepass? If it’s just a quick ping and license check then you should be able to internet share through the phone and play, you posted here after all so can’t be completely cut off from the internet.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, I love the service but that’s definitely the biggest downside (and it’s super annoying whenever it happens).

Chukhopops

How much data do you need to transfer to play through Gamepass? If it’s just a quick ping and license check then you should be able to internet share through the phone and play, you posted here after all so can’t be completely cut off from the internet.
Yeah you can just use your phone as access point for a minute and launch a game if you forgot to set the console as home Xbox.

You can do everything else offline except get achievements and online play obviously.

Banned
Yeah, I love the service but that’s definitely the biggest downside (and it’s super annoying whenever it happens).

how many people on here don't have their console set to home console? WTF? guys, that is the first thing you should do...
you can be offline for a whole month and still be able to play offline!

once you've got the games downloaded, you can still play them though. otherwise, yeah it would have been total bullshit to be locked out.

Robb

Gold Member
how many people on here don't have their console set to home console? WTF? guys, that is the first thing you should do...
you can be offline for a whole month and still be able to play offline!
I have my Series X set as the home console. I tried going offline just now and launched Halo Infinite. Didn’t work.

Not sure if I’m doing something wrong.

Robb

Gold Member
imma try myself real quick, I'll update on it after
Thanks, would be nice if I could figure this out. I’d love to be able to play during a internet outage..

I should probably add that I only play through GamePass on Xbox though (have never bought anything). If that makes a difference.

Last edited:

hlm666

I have my Series X set as the home console. I tried going offline just now and launched Halo Infinite. Didn’t work.

Not sure if I’m doing something wrong.
I think halo infinite might be considered an online game, the campaign boots to that menu with your profile level shit and stuff. Forza horizon works without a live connection on pc for me maybe try another game but it sucks if you can't play campaign offline because it's bolted onto the multiplayer front end.

Banned
Thanks, would be nice if I could figure this out. I’d love to be able to play during a power outage..

I should probably add that I only play through GamePass on Xbox though (have never bought anything). If that makes a difference.

so I just tested and i also can not play them offline... which is weird, it should work... I even found a youtube video from 1 month ago showing how to set it up (set as home console and set the console to offline, which is how it should work) but for me it does not work.

apparently some games do not work offline, but I tried games that should 100% work and they didn't. so this is really weird not gonna lie

edit: SOOOO I found out what is going on, and this seems like something that has changed within the last 12 to 18 months or so (that's where I find most of the issue reports)
it seems like, you have to play the games you want to play offline before going offline. so if you wanna play Forza Horizon 5 offline with gamepass you will have to have played it within the last 30 days before turning your console to offline mode for it to work.

I just started Dogeball Academia, then set my system to offline, and it worked offline. I then tried another gamepass game that should work offline but that one didn't work, because I haven't played it within the last 30 days.

this is a very bizarre change and tbh seems almost like a bug and not like it is intended, if it is intended it sure sucks

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Well.
If I remember correctly, you just need to flag you console as a "home" console and it will let you play even without connection. But I might be wrong on that one

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I remember once I couldn't log onto xbox and play a game I wanted. It happened once in the past 5 years. Thankfully I have a life so I just did something else.

There is no issue with online authorization or gamepass, this thread is a pointless excuse to complsin about what is essentially a non issue that affects less than 0.01% of potential up time. Plus there's the home console setting as stated by others. Go hug a dvd or something, I officialy endorse it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Get 👏better👏 internet👏

Like it or not, the future of gaming is via a combination of streaming and subscription services. Soon, it'll be the only way you'll be able to play games. If you're internet speed isn't up to scratch then tough shit.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Get 👏better👏 internet👏

Like it or not, the future of gaming is via a combination of streaming and subscription services. Soon, it'll be the only way you'll be able to play games. If you're internet speed isn't up to scratch then tough shit.
Whatever the future is, I will keep getting most physical version of it possible

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I just unplugged my ethernet cable and played Forza Horizon 5 and Psychonauts 2 while offline. I'm on GP PC and there's an option under Settings->General->Offline Permissions to designate the PC for offline play.
Thanks, would be nice if I could figure this out. I’d love to be able to play during a power outage..
We recently had an interlock kit installed for a our generator. Some shitty weather blew a tree over and knocked out power on our side of town for 8hrs, but the internet was still up. Our whole house can be powered by the generator's half-power eco mode. We had our tv, refrigerator, game systems, and even christmas lights going.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Whatever the future is, I will keep getting most physical version of it possible

There will still be a market for physical games, like there is still a market for CDs, vinyl and Blu-ray's. However, a CD or Blu-ray works out of the box and doesn't require an internet connection to use, but this is different for games.

Lots of physical games still require an internet connection to play the game. It's even becoming that way for single player games that are morphing into live service games. Lots of games also require huge day one patches, and I can see that also becoming more common in the future.

They'll still be a market for digital games, but as we move into a world of live services, more and more people will move to subscription and streaming models and physical games will be left behind.

I can even see a future where the only way to play games is if you stream it to a device via a subscription service.

Top Bottom