• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Problem with Gamepass…

Leyasu

Banned
I mean, Amen. I swear to Christ there are like 22 aligned virgins on this board who will assault a good idea on any whim possible. It's ridiculous.
You should see those virgins attacking the XsS at every opportunity. Sad cretins.

On topic though, my fibre was out for a few hours a couple of months back and I couldn’t play. Even with my console set as my home console

Tschumi

I don't like gamepass because it feels like some post apocalyptic future where we plug fleshy plug-limb hybrids into greasy, slimy, used vagina-like ports in the yellow and black painted columns in MacDonald's food courts to play games.

I've been developing this take for a while, it is steadily gaining in nuance and refinement.

Tschumi

The problem with gaming is that you need power to run the console. I had a power outage the other day and literally couldn't play. It's the downside with gaming. Microsoft needs to do something about this.
Ps vita! Just go find a public plug hole and you have access to the game libraries of a dozen different consoles!

ParaSeoul

POV:you just said something negative about Game Pass
tangled-1.jpg

Kagey K

Banned
The problem with gaming is I need a license to play said games.

Really?

This is Y can’t Metroid crawl dumb shit.

Last edited:

hlm666

so I just tested and i also can not play them offline... which is weird, it should work... I even found a youtube video from 1 month ago showing how to set it up (set as home console and set the console to offline, which is how it should work) but for me it does not work.

apparently some games do not work offline, but I tried games that should 100% work and they didn't. so this is really weird not gonna lie

edit: SOOOO I found out what is going on, and this seems like something that has changed within the last 12 to 18 months or so (that's where I find most of the issue reports)
it seems like, you have to play the games you want to play offline before going offline. so if you wanna play Forza Horizon 5 offline with gamepass you will have to have played it within the last 30 days before turning your console to offline mode for it to work.

I just started Dogeball Academia, then set my system to offline, and it worked offline. I then tried another gamepass game that should work offline but that one didn't work, because I haven't played it within the last 30 days.

this is a very bizarre change and tbh seems almost like a bug and not like it is intended, if it is intended it sure sucks
Interesting, I wonder if they have changed something on the console side about when the game is associated with your account. Maybe it used to be when downloaded but changed to when loaded. On pc when you first boot a gamepass game you get a dialog confirming you want to give this app permissions on this device, if you havn't done this the game wont load when offline either. You can actually run into a problem with a game that wont load because that permission dialog never appears and must just sit there for ages trying to connect to something it can't.

Kagey K

Banned
Interesting, I wonder if they have changed something on the console side about when the game is associated with your account. Maybe it used to be when downloaded but changed to when loaded. On pc when you first boot a gamepass game you get a dialog confirming you want to give this app permissions on this device, if you havn't done this the game wont load when offline either. You can actually run into a problem with a game that wont load because that permission dialog never appears and must just sit there for ages trying to connect to something it can't.
Nothing has changed, it’s really simple.

OP is either lying or missing a trick and I haven’t figured out which one yet.

Im leaning towards it wasn’t always his home console, and he never bothered to click download again after he console status, so his console never knew it changed.

Last edited:

bellome

Sorry to.break this to you, but even games you "own" is nothing more than a limited license.
You own nothing.
This is misleading.

With physical games the licence you paid for is binded to the physical media you OWN. And since you own it you are entitled to use it without any limitation (within the law) and to transfer the right to use it to other by selling/borrowing it freely. Nobody can ever stop it from working, unless it is an online game (or the support breaks).

You are fooling yourself if you think that digital and physical games retain the same rights to dispose of the licence.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
People who are "sharing" games with their friend.
Never unset your home xbox as the home console for sharing, because Sony has one system of sharing does not mean, that it's the same as on Xbox, it works sure but it's suboptimal solution.

Tommi84

I find it funny that someone says they can't get online to play Gamepass but can get online to post about not being able to get online with the Xbox.
Yeah, it's not like people can have wired, broadband internet and a mobile with 3G mobile internet. It's 1999 again I guess.

nemiroff

Gold Member
My internet is better than your internet, thus my anecdotal evidence wins over your anecdotal evidence. Na na na banana!

Tommi84

Fuck I wish.

i would trade it all again, to not see cars with Insta tags, or Tik Tok.
:D

1999 maybe not, but I agree, we peaked at around 2010-2012. After that it's pretty much downhill. Facebook/twitter took over, tiktok and others are cancerous. At least neogaf still is a forum and not a FB group where you can't search for anything :/

GymWolf

The problem with gamepass pc is that you have to use the absolute shitshow that are xboxapp\windows store.

I regret not buying halo infinite at full price on steam, it is that bad.

Last edited:

Graciaus

A

Another one able to post online, but got issues with gamepass. Even crappy Rual Wales we've got fibre and 4G.
I don't own an Xbox, use GP or have issues with my internet. I was just responding to your post. The majority of the United States also does not have fiber internet.

JLB

Banned
You could replace Gamepass for almost any other thing (A Playstation, Youtube, Neogaf and even my damn coffee machine) and the "problem" still remains.

Last edited:
I don't own an Xbox, use GP or have issues with my internet. I was just responding to your post. The majority of the United States also does not have fiber internet.
Gamepass is out on PC. I gather you played the beta multiplayer Halo and play on Steam. So spare us on the lack of internet

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is misleading.

With physical games the licence you paid for is binded to the physical media you OWN. And since you own it you are entitled to use it without any limitation (within the law) and to transfer the right to use it to other by selling/borrowing it freely. Nobody can ever stop it from working, unless it is an online game (or the support breaks).

You are fooling yourself if you think that digital and physical games retain the same rights to dispose of the licence.

That's actually not true, the limited license, if you look closely, can be revoked. It's true they aren't exactly the same, but it's still an issue. Plus many games nowadays do have that online component.
Also keep in mind the digital version actually has more flexibility in terms of using it (for example on 2 machines at once). Who cares if they take away my digital game when I am 90 and playing newer stuff anyhow.

Alpha Male

I have my Series X set as the home console. I tried going offline just now and launched Halo Infinite. Didn’t work.

Not sure if I’m doing something wrong.
My internet was out a few days ago and I tried to play Halo Infinite and it would not let me and gave me the message to go online. My Xbox is set to home console and I'm online just about every day

sainraja

Why I don't use it and won't use Spartan on PS5.
Well, it's not exactly a secret that the content available to us via Game Pass isn't ours to own. But they should figure out how to get it working with a valid subscription offline. I understand they need to validate the subscription in some way but if the system has a data point saying the person last played a Game Pass game 'today' and their system goes offline for whatever reason, it should allow access based on that last data point.

EDIT
Based on 10101's post...it does seem to do that.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

The real problem with Gamepass and any future services like it is that in the long run there's no real need for first party to put much effort in their games since retail sales won't matter. I mean it's not like people will cancel their subs if a game isn't that great. Personally I think the Halo Infinite campaign is no where near as good as Reach but I didn't cancel my sub. If Starfield turns out to be not that great will I cancel my sub, probably not, if I'm playing other games on the service at the time. It's like at the buffet, if one thing isn't that great you just get something else instead on your next plate, you don't just walk out. Retail games are more like à la carte dining where quality matters and directly affects generated revenue.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The only problem with GP on PC is that it's a Microsoft app and inherently fucking awful.

I have to log out and log back in every single time I restart my PC. It's a tiny price to pay for how cheap I got this subscription but it doesn't shock me that such a bug exists.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The only problem with GP on PC is that it's a Microsoft app and inherently fucking awful.

I have to log out and log back in every single time I restart my PC. It's a tiny price to pay for how cheap I got this subscription but it doesn't shock me that such a bug exists.

I've used the PC GP app with a few games (not nearly as much as on the console) and haven't run into any issues with it so far...

am I just lucky or is it a bloat issue that gets worse the more games you download ?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I had kind of a moment like this yesterday. Was watching Diehard on MSFT's Movies app (I own digital version) and it stopped the movie halfway and said I couldn't play the movie because my clock needed to be synced or something like that. Rebooting the app didn't help, had to power cycle system. Can't play an owned movie because of the f'n clock?

I've only had a movie stop because of disc issues a few times ever in literally decades, but weird issues like streaming apps crashing, freezing, buffering, stopping, etc can happen every few days, and I have amazing internet.

octiny

Banned
I've used the PC GP app with a few games (not nearly as much as on the console) and haven't run into any issues with it so far...

am I just lucky or is it a bloat issue that gets worse the more games you download ?

Don't have any issues either w/ GP on PC via the gamepass app and I have over 35 games installed from it on multiple partitions.

Topher

Gold Member
Don't have any issues either w/ GP on PC via the gamepass app and I have over 35 games installed from it on multiple partitions.

Same here. Games on multiple drives on PC, games on XSX......never a single issue. Not saying this doesn't happen. Googling shows it clearly does, but I don't think it is common enough to call it "the problem with Game Pass".

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Nah, I'm sure it's fine for a lot of users just like Teams has been for most except me. Everyone's mileage varies.

My other issue is the download management is abhorrent but again, that's a Windows / App issue and I can get past it.

Top Bottom