• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Problem with Gamepass…

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I find it funny that someone says they can't get online to play Gamepass but can get online to post about not being able to get online with the Xbox.

In an increasingly connected world, it's even more of a non-issue and will continue to be a non-issue with passing time.

Honestly, this is a tired argument now. I genuinely wonder how many folks in this topic will make a U-Turn on it when the PS5 equivalent to GP finally launches and has similar online checks.

Last edited:
It all depends on internet connection and MS servers. Wanted to play before bed and every game I try says I don’t own it or check connection. Quick search shows others having the same issue. Not a big deal as I need to sleep but this is somewhat concerning. I will say Xbox is very consistent in my experience but this is the downside of going digital/renting with Gamepass.
WEF-own-nothing-be-happy.png
My only problem with Game Pass is that I'm just not interested in most of the game library. There just usually isn't enough for me to stay subscribed. So I generally jump in for a month when something comes out that I wanna play but actually purchase.

Pallas

Gold Member
That was always going to be the crux of all digital, online only future. Infrastructure just hadn’t advance far enough yet to make this a reality without major issues. As some have already mention I’d troubleshoot your connection problem, maybe contact your ISP. Depending on where you live at, you could probably upgrade your connection.

As for your Xbox, it was already stated to make sure it’s selected as your primary console, wouldn’t hurt to make sure it’s fully updated either if you don’t have automatic updates on. Maybe use a speed test site as well, such as www.speedtest.net

Last edited:

Chukhopops

the problem with netflix is that it won't let me download the movie.

On a tablet or phone you can actually (for most content), which is nice for long trips.

The only issue with GamePass is that XCloud is not available in Luxembourg so I can only use it when I cross the border to other countries.
Sad Tb GIF by Hide The Pain Harold

Mercador

My personal issue is too much choices is like no choices at all. I guess you can class that in the category "the issue with this game is too good" or something similar, I don't remember the meme. But in my case, when I have too much games to play, I can't focus on one and therefor, I don't play at all. Choice paralysis.

Mercador

rnyBfAS.jpeg

Here you go. But yeah, the no. 1 issue with GP is your own limited time, the more games they're throwing each month/week, the harder it is to keep up with them and give them a try.
Thanks, I didn't remember which game it was but I did remember that guy face. The pinnacle of the game reviews.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
GamePass has been a Godsend for me, personally. If I play a game on GamePass that I love and believe I'll want to play again someday, I buy it with the discount. :)

DaGwaphics

rnyBfAS.jpeg

Here you go. But yeah, the no. 1 issue with GP is your own limited time, the more games they're throwing each month/week, the harder it is to keep up with them and give them a try.

Agreed. First world problems. There is so much to try, always something interesting for everyone.

adamsapple

Agreed. First world problems. There is so much to try, always something interesting for everyone.

Indeed.

I recently 1000G'd Lake.

It's a game I would have never played otherwise, but I enjoyed it so much I ended up 100%-ing it.

Game Pass won't always get the biggest AAA games every month, but sometimes it gets really good understated games too.

The problem with gamespass........i dont like it.
That basically sums up this thread. :)

It is ok when something is not to your liking, doesnt fit your lifestyle, etc......
I dont understand the generalization of the statement. Whether you like something or not, doesnt mean that there is is general problem. Different things for different people.

In an increasingly connected world, it's even more of a non-issue and will continue to be a non-issue with passing time.

Honestly, this is a tired argument now. I genuinely wonder how many folks in this topic will make a U-Turn on it when the PS5 equivalent to GP finally launches and has similar online checks.
I bet the 1st thing people do when they have a new console is set up to their Wi-Fi, but then try and make an issue of a game needed to be checked online.
It's laughable to say you can't connect to game pass but can connect to the internet to moan about it :messenger_tears_of_joy: . Some people just don't think before they look to pointscore

Topher

Gold Member

PS already has games tied to online subscriptions. PS+. PS Now. No idea why that is relevant to this topic though.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Hey guys, I discovered a major flaw with Netflix. I accidentally cut my cable when I was trimming the tree in my back yard. Now Netflix stopped working.

I hope they fix this in the future.

sainraja

Some Xbox guys here really can't take any sort of criticism. lol. Look, you had nothing to do with the idea of Game Pass outside of choosing the box the subscription is available on. So just relax and stay calm.
If Microsoft is able to address this issue in a way where they can do their check and allow offline play even in situations where one might not reasonably expect access to Game Pass then that's only a good thing.

Now, of-course, given Game Pass is a subscription service, people should also not expect it to work exactly like something they might 'own' the license for but even that world is changing so perhaps it might be better to focus the criticism where it might matter more.

EDIT
Some people are mentioning Netflix but even Netflix allows you to be a little proactive and download streaming items to your devices to watch when you won't have access (but yes it does require the person to be proactive in doing so.)

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Some Xbox guys here really can't take any sort of criticism. lol. Look, you had nothing to do with the idea of Game Pass outside of choosing the box the subscription is available on. So just relax and stay calm.
If Microsoft is able to address this issue in a way where they can do their check and allow offline play even in situations where one might not reasonably expect access to Game Pass then that's only a good thing.

Now, of-course, given Game Pass is a subscription service, people should also not expect it to work exactly like something they might 'own' the license for but even that world is changing so perhaps it might better to focus the criticism where it might matter more.

EDIT
Some people are mentioning Netflix but even Netflix allows you to be a little proactive and download streaming items to your devices to watch when you won't have access (but yes it does require the person to be proactive in doing so.)
Game Pass also let’s you download games to devices.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Holy shit dude, what's your speed
Slow. Browsing the web and watching YouTube is fine but if I download a large game on the PS4, it usually takes like 12 hours, lol. Upload speeds are slow as shit.

We could get cable but my wife is grandfathered into some AT&T plan and doesn't want to change it. I think fiber is available too in my area but it's not really a huge deal to me.

Speed test shows:

Ping: 34
Download: 16.64 mbps
Upload: 0.75 mbps

Lognor

Banned
Do you need internet access to boot up a Game Pass game? My device is always connected so I haven't tested it. Or are there regular check-ins to ensure you are still subscribed? The latter is better, but either way it's a non issue for me.

Topher

Gold Member
It's laughable to say you can't connect to game pass but can connect to the internet to moan about it

The OP never said he couldn't connect to the internet so where did that come from? Either way, being able to connect to the internet doesn't mean all servers and services are available at the time. Connectivity problems on the internet are a common issue even when the individuals connectivity is not.

adamsapple

PS already has games tied to online subscriptions. PS+. PS Now. No idea why that is relevant to this topic though.

It's relevant cause it's the same couple of users with the same couple of arguments any time these kinds of topics pop up. It's a pretty brazen trend.

The OP never said he couldn't connect to the internet so where did that come from? Either way, being able to connect to the internet doesn't mean all servers and services are available at the time. Connectivity problems on the internet are a common issue even when the individuals connectivity is not.

You're misconstruing the post you quoted deliberately here.

They're replying in reference to most of the posts in the topic, not just specifically to OP.

Last edited:
Yea MS is still implementing basically the same DRM that Don Mattrick got all the hate about, just going about it a smarter way.
I think there is other issues with GamePass like games being designed more and more as GaaS to keep people subscribed and games getting released incomplete and needing years of updates. I get that those are not an issue to people that like those sorts of things, but I'm more of a "play a completed game and move on" gamer. I only go back if new single player DLC comes out.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's relevant cause it's the same couple of users with the same couple of arguments any time these kinds of topics pop up. It's a pretty brazen trend.

Then reply to those "same couple of users" instead of going into knee-jerk "Xbox vs PlayStation" console warrior mode.

You're misconstruing the post you quoted deliberately here.

They're replying in reference to most of the posts in the topic, not just specifically to OP.

Sorry....but that's bullshit. I'm not misconstruing anything. He made the same comment on the first page:

The problem is that it's made by Microsoft.
I find it funny that someone says they can't get online to play Gamepass but can get online to post about not being able to get online with the Xbox.

Last edited:

sainraja

I bet the 1st thing people do when they have a new console is set up to their Wi-Fi, but then try and make an issue of a game needed to be checked online.
It's laughable to say you can't connect to game pass but can connect to the internet to moan about it :messenger_tears_of_joy: . Some people just don't think before they look to pointscore
The person, who according to you, that was moaning, did so using their phone internet.

Last edited:
Yes he did and that's to overlook if one's internet does go down, you can use your mobile phone as a Hotspot. The only thing common on the internet is pathetic pointscoring

sainraja

Yes he did and that's to overlook if one's internet does go down, you can use your mobile phone as a Hotspot. The only thing common on the internet is pathetic pointscoring
Some mobile plans charge you extra to use your mobile internet as a hotspot (and he may not know how to do that). You should show some empathy.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Then reply to those "same couple of users" instead of going into knee-jerk "Xbox vs PlayStation" console warrior mode.

Not sure why this is such a hot button offense for you, it was a generally sweeping post instead of post quoting a dozen or so different users.

Sorry....but that's bullshit. I'm not misconstruing anything. He made the same comment on the first page:

And ? They're right. If someone has connectivity to go online to post on GAF, complaining about being required to go online to launch Game Pass games shouldn't be an issue.

Regardless, it is possible to play GP games in Offline mode after setting your Xbox as the home console, you just need to do a check in every 30 days and some games which require persistent online connectivity like Destiny etc, will obviously not work.

Topher

Gold Member
Not sure why this is such a hot button offense for you, it was a generally sweeping post instead of post quoting a dozen or so different users.

Primarily because your entire premise in bringing PlayStation into the conversation was just entirely wrong, and secondly as I already stated, it is just console warrior nonsense. But fine....you do you.

And.....you said I was "deliberately misconstruing" a post when I wasn't. The person I replied to was in fact referencing the OP.

adamsapple

Primarily because your entire premise in bringing PlayStation into the conversation was just entirely wrong, and secondly as I already stated, it is just console warrior nonsense. But fine....you do you.

It wasn't .. but OK I understand if it feels that way. It's as much console warrior nonsense as the amount of concern-trolling about connectivity woes we've seen in this topic so far.

It's a non issue when you can just mobile hotspot the system to auth the game. This has been a thing for a lot if not all streaming & non streaming like services.

G-DannY

It all depends on internet connection and MS servers. Wanted to play before bed and every game I try says I don’t own it or check connection. Quick search shows others having the same issue. Not a big deal as I need to sleep but this is somewhat concerning. I will say Xbox is very consistent in my experience but this is the downside of going digital/renting with Gamepass.

sounds more like "Your problem" with gamepass rather than "the problem"

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It wasn't .. but OK I understand if it feels that way. It's as much console warrior nonsense as the amount of concern-trolling about connectivity woes we've seen in this topic so far.

I just read through the entire thread. Where is all the "concern-trolling about connectivity woes" again? Is it just the OP you are talking about?

adamsapple

I just read through the entire thread. Where is all the "concern-trolling about connectivity woes" again? Is it just the OP you are talking about?

Ok maybe not this topic specifically but these topics and all the posts tend to meld together at a certain point, they're almost always so similar.

I'll leave it at that for now, since OP's issue was a very unique connectivity issue to them specifically. People have already posted multiple workarounds to that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Atari, Sega genesis never had gamepass, I think Microsoft putting games at the center of their vision is important and not a problem and re-earned the trust of customers.

Top Bottom