• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS Plus Extra and Premium thread of game recommendations

I recently made a thread critical of some aspects of Sony's new PS Plus rework, but I do still think the service is well worth the price of admission for existing PS Plus members. $40 to access a nice collection of games for an entire year is still a good value, and the fact that current PS Plus subscribers can pay a reduced price for remainder of their plus subscription can make it an even better value.

Seeing as none of our other PS Plus threads focus on the games themselves, and since so many people will have access to this catalogue, I thought we could use a thread for game recommendations. If it's not a PS1, PS2, or PS3 title where a Premium account is required, please mention if your recommendation is one of the handful of non-remastered PS4 games that requires a Premium account.

Please only use this thread to discuss specific games on the service. To discuss other aspects of PS Plus, I would suggest using the main PS Plus thread:

So with all that said, what have you been playing on the new PS Plus, and what cool games are you finding that you'd recommend to others?

Last edited:

Chronicle

Well, I signed up to see how it was and was impressed with the Library. I get Demons Souls and Returnal. Both games I would have bought anyways.

I just started Returnal and I gotta say it's really good. I'm barely anywhere but it controls well and it's fun. I'm eager to keep going. I like the suspend feature too. I'm not into the start all over again if you need to go get milk or something.

Demons Souls looms large in the background too. I'm coming mofos

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
edit thought this was a section to recommend for game to come to the service

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Will definitely be playing Returnal once this goes live in Europe. Also been wanting to try Outer Wilds, looks like that's there too (although I read it doesn't run very well on PS5).

Koei Tecmo have left a bunch of their stuff up from PSNow for PS3 streaming. There's several Atelier games that are perfectly fine for cloud gaming

Belthazar

I won't go to the obvious choices of GOTG, Returnal, Miles Morales or Demon's Souls.

If you like JRPGs and haven't played Ys VIII or IX then that's definitely a great option in the service.

Little Nightmares is also a great puzzle-platformer, if you like this kind of game.

Momodora is a very good metroidvania.

Overcooked 2 is great multiplayer fun and specially good if you have someone to couch-coop with.

Tearaway Unfolded is great with kids, especially if they're really young.

The Surge 1 and 2 are surprisingly good soulslikes.

Yonder is really good if you like farming sim games.

bender

What time is it?
I always wanting a Game Passing thread (what are you playing) but the mod team decided to wrangle all Game Pass threads into a mega thread. I like that idea for Plus as well. Here's what I've been playing:

-Mafia Definitive Edition: A ton of love and care went into this remake but the even with modernized mechanics, the game still shows it's age in mission design and the woefully underutilized city.
-Ico: It's one the greatest games ever created and I love the expressiveness of the character animations.
-Ape Escape: Find out what originally made the dual shock sing.
-Crysis Remastered: I really dislike Crytek games and haven't played Crysis since it first launched. I've been tempted to purchase this the times it's gone on sale for $11.00 recently to look at the game with fresh eyes. Going to give this a shot tonight.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Finally a positive PS+ thread. I didn't think it was allowed here 😅

The big ones were already advertised (Ghost of Tsushima, Returnal, Demons Souls, Death Stranding, RDR2, Miles Morales, NBA2k22, Guardians of the Galaxy etc) but I also found a couple of gems.

- MATTERFALL by Housemarque. It's like Returnal in 2D. Also HOLLOW KNIGHT and DEAD CELLS are available if you like that style.

- OBSERVER SYSTEM REDUX from Silent Hill developer BLOOPER 😁

- SHADOW WARRIOR 2 and 3
- THE SURGE 1 and 2
- TETRIS EFFECT CONNECTED
- WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY
- WONDERFUL 101 REMASTERED
- YS VIII DANA
- YS IX MONSTRUM NOX
- TRIALS RISING
- MAFIA DEFINITIVE EDITION
- BATMAN RETURN TO ARKHAM EDITION
- WIPEOUT OMEGA COLLECTION

There's a lot more but that's on my list right now.

Eatin' good 😁

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Is there a full list somewhere? I'll have to take a look on the app in the meantime.

Highly Recommend:
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Demon's Souls
Doom
Fallout 4
Far Cry 3
+ Blood Dragon
Little Nightmares
Prey
Read Dead Redemption 2
Sniper Elite 4
Wolfenstein: The New Order

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
I’m trying Returnal and I’m going to try Guardians of the Galaxy at some point. Playing Resident Evil: Director’s Cut because I have really only ever spent time with Remake.

Installed Death Stranding Director’s Cut because I’ve never finished the original and hadn’t yet paid for the upgrade. I forgot how good the graphics were and they are definitely better than I remember going from playing on Pro to PS5.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Is there a full list somewhere? I'll have to take a look on the app in the meantime.

Highly Recommend:
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Demon's Souls
Doom
Fallout 4
Far Cry 3
+ Blood Dragon
Little Nightmares
Prey
Read Dead Redemption 2
Sniper Elite 4
Wolfenstein: The New Order
They have a website with all the games but some people were saying it's not complete. I didn't have time to check.

yurinka

I still don't have access because I'm from Europe, but other than the supersellers everybody knows and played I'd recommend these games from 'Games Collection':
  • Alienation
  • Aragami
  • Celeste
  • Child of Light
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit Become Human
  • Blasphemous
  • Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon: Classic Edition
  • Fighting EX Layer
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition
  • Knack (for kids)
  • Little Big Planet 3
  • Minit
  • Nidhogg (for local multiplayer)
  • Raiden V: Director's Cut
  • RESOGUN
  • RETURNAL
  • Rez Infinite
  • R-TYPE FINAL 2
  • Soulcalibur VI
  • Tetris Effect: Connected
  • Tearaway Unfolded
  • TowerFall Ascension
  • Until Dawn
And these ones from 'Classics Collecton':
  • BIONIC COMMANDO REARMED
  • Dark Sector
  • Darkstalkers Resurrection
  • Echochrome
  • Final Fight: Double Impact
  • GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES
  • Gravity Rush Remastered
  • Hotline Miami
  • I.Q: Intelligent Qube
  • LocoRoco Remastered
  • LocoRoco 2 Remastered
  • Lost Planet
  • Lumines Remastered
  • Machinarium
  • MEGA MAN 9
  • MEGA MAN 10
  • METAL SLUG 3
  • MotorStorm Apocalypse
  • MotorStorm RC Complete Edition
  • Mr. Driller
  • Patapon Remastered
  • Patapon 2 Remastered
  • PixelJunk Eden Encore
  • PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap
  • Proteus
  • Raiden IV: OverKill
  • Puppeteer
  • rain
  • R-Type Dimensions
  • STARWHAL (for local multiplayer)
  • STRIDER
  • Super Stardust HD
  • VelocityUltra
  • Wipeout Omega Collection

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
  • Patapon Remastered
  • Patapon 2 Remastered
Denzel Washington GIF

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I still don't have access because I'm from Europe, but other than the supersellers everybody knows and played I'd recommend these games from 'Games Collection':
  • Alienation
  • Aragami
  • Celeste
  • Child of Light
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit Become Human
  • Blasphemous
  • Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon: Classic Edition
  • Fighting EX Layer
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition
  • Knack (for kids)
  • Little Big Planet 3
  • Minit
  • Nidhogg (for local multiplayer)
  • Raiden V: Director's Cut
  • RESOGUN
  • RETURNAL
  • Rez Infinite
  • R-TYPE FINAL 2
  • Soulcalibur VI
  • Tetris Effect: Connected
  • Tearaway Unfolded
  • TowerFall Ascension
  • Until Dawn
And these ones from 'Classics Collecton':
  • BIONIC COMMANDO REARMED
  • Dark Sector
  • Darkstalkers Resurrection
  • Echochrome
  • Final Fight: Double Impact
  • GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES
  • Gravity Rush Remastered
  • Hotline Miami
  • I.Q: Intelligent Qube
  • LocoRoco Remastered
  • LocoRoco 2 Remastered
  • Lost Planet
  • Lumines Remastered
  • Machinarium
  • MEGA MAN 9
  • MEGA MAN 10
  • METAL SLUG 3
  • MotorStorm Apocalypse
  • MotorStorm RC Complete Edition
  • Mr. Driller
  • Patapon Remastered
  • Patapon 2 Remastered
  • PixelJunk Eden Encore
  • PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap
  • Proteus
  • Raiden IV: OverKill
  • Puppeteer
  • rain
  • R-Type Dimensions
  • STARWHAL (for local multiplayer)
  • STRIDER
  • Super Stardust HD
  • VelocityUltra
  • Wipeout Omega Collection

Wait, Apocalypse is there but not Pacific Rift (which is the far superior game)?

Alebrije

I Will jump to Extra for Valhalla , Guardians of the Galaxy, Returnal , Observer and Spiderman games because own most of Sony's IPs

The cost is decent specially if You already have Plus.

yurinka

Wait, Apocalypse is there but not Pacific Rift (which is the far superior game)?
I assume they saved several cool games to be added in the updates of th upcoming months, both from PS4 (TLOU2, Dreams) or from PS3 and older PS platforms (Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Syphon Filter sequels, Ridge Racer stuff...).

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Completely forgot this launched. I’ll have to check it out. I unsubscribed after the free ps now trial and wanted back in the finish Beyond Two Souls.

Finally trying Death Stranding. It's just as weird as I thought it would be. I slapped it on easy and just plan on running through the story to see where the weirdness goes.

Fbh

Ignoring the obvious ones (Tsushima, Demon Souls, Spider Man, etc).

Everyone should try out The Outer Wilds:
1*zuw-H8WOwYqHpWPnR-ahCw.gif

It's a space exploration game with one of the best designed worlds I've ever played. It's not for everyone as there's no combat and it's all about figuring out things on your own, but to those it clicks with it usually becomes a special experience so at least try it out.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The service is not out yet here, although the country is getting the deluxe tier due to lack streaming but I’m planning to subscribe to the Extra tier as I can’t handle old games. I don’t know. Maybe it is an age thing.

Anyway, games I’m planning to try as soon as the service launch:
-Ghost of Tsushima - DC (Played the original and loved it but I’ll start this from the beginning for the improvements + DLC)
-Returnal
-Demons Souls
-Death Stranding
-Guardians of the Galaxy

My backlog is nuts 😳 I wonder how many games will be added monthly and if they'll ever go away 🤔 I'm finishing Guardians and plan to tackle Valhalla or Ghosts next...I can't believe how good Guardians can look at times it's crazy

Pantz

Gold Member
Recommend installing games until your storage is full. Maybe play... one of them. Then, the fun part, next month when new games are added, uninstall the old ones to make room for the new ones! It's a vicious cycle.

Agent X

I'm going to quote myself from this post that I wrote in another thread here a little over a year ago.

I've played a bunch of games on PS Now over the last few years. Here are some of the best and most memorable games that I would recommend:

• Horizon Zero Dawn. An incredibly engaging game. One of the best looking games on PS4, supported by a great story (with plenty of lore that you can discover through side missions), an expansive world to explore, and lots of depth of play.
  • The Wolf Among Us. Slick adventure game from Telltale Games. Despite the tie-ins to popular children's fairy tales, this is a rated M game. If you need something a little lighter from Telltale, then perhaps you could try the Sam & Max games (which I haven't played through PS Now).
  • Syberia: An acclaimed graphic adventure that originated on PC about 20 years ago, then was ported to PS3 many years later. There was some reminiscing about this game in the recent thread here about the death of Benoit Sokal. The second game in the series is also on PS Now, but I have not yet played it.
  • Rain. An action adventure from Sony's Japan Studio for PS3 with great artwork and atmosphere. It's reminiscent of Ico in several ways.
  • Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus. One of the better games in the R&C series. It's also one of the shorter games in the series, but it's paced well, and doesn't overstay its welcome.
  • Wreckfest. A good looking and playing "destruction derby" racing game. Will be removed from the service soon.
  • WWE 2K Battlegrounds. Fun arcade-style wrestling game with a huge cast of wrestlers from past and present. Will be removed from the service soon.
  • Split/Second. Arcade-style racing game with a "reality TV show" theme. It's a PS3 game from over a decade ago, but still holds up well, with lots of game variety.
  • Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate. I generally don't play too many fighting games on streaming services, but I had some fun with this one. I don't consider myself a hardcore fan of this game, but it's easy to jump in and play, even for a casual player.
  • Tekken 7. Another fighting game that I enjoyed playing through streaming (because I'm not a hardcore Tekken player).
  • Shadow of the Beast. Updated version of the old Amiga game, but with a lot more depth of play.
  • Streets of Rage 4. A cool side-scrolling beat 'em up that was just added to PS Now earlier this month. Will be removed from the service in a few months.
  • The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition. A "remastered" version of the classic point-and-click graphic adventure from LucasArts.
  • The Treasures of Montezuma 4. Sometimes, you just want to unwind with a Bejeweled-style match-3 puzzle game.
I also would have recommended God of War (2018), Dead Cells, and Hollow Knight, but these were all removed from the service. Hopefully they will reappear in the future.

Here are also a few excellent games that I haven't personally played through PS Now, but should be good:

• Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
  • Ratchet & Clank series, especially Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
  • Sly Cooper series
  • Puppeteer
  • Heavy Rain
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Gravity Rush Remastered and Gravity Rush 2
  • Borderlands series
  • God of War series
  • Day of the Tentacle Remastered
  • Grim Fandango Remastered
  • Super Stardust Ultra (might not be well suited for streaming)
  • Street Fighter V (might not be well suited for streaming)
  • Veloicty 2X (might not be well suited for streaming)

Since this was written over a year ago, I know a few of these games have been removed, and a few previously removed games were brought back. Overall, I still feel these are a good set of games to start with.

Beechos

Man this sony file system is so annoying. With this ps plus premium i figure i can get rid of my remaining disc games and just play them digital through premium since they are already on my internal/external store. Nope have to delete the disc version thats installed and download the digital version of the same exact game to play.

Aion002

Other than the already mentioned ones:

Evil Genius 2, Romance of the Three Kigdoms XIII, Warhammer Verminted 2 and Ashen.

For my PS4.

Horizon Zero Dawn
Ghost of Tsushima DC
Death Stranding
Spiderman Miles Morales
Days Gone
Soulcalibur VI
Shadow of the Colossus

FF VII
FF VIII Remaster
FF IX
FF X X-2 Remaster
FF XII Zodiac Age
FF XV Royal Edition

Last edited:

Amiga

Other than obvious games most are mentioning:

- Dark Pictures Trilogy
- Sundred
- Y's
-Observer Redux
- Bloodstained
- Wonderful 101
- Ashes of the Gods

Do you like racing games? Do you like going fast? Do you like rogue likes and games that blend genres in interesting ways? Then you might like Descenders, a racing game with procedurally generated races where your rider has health points that are lost when you bail, but you can earn health back by racing well enough and completing objectives.

Last edited:

tommib

Play Returnal
I now have 120 hours in Returnal. With the expansion it’s basically an endless game of top tier gameplay. It’s the most addictive game I’ve played in years. Can always pick it up and spend 3 hours on a run without feeling the time slip through. It’s one of the best gameplay-focused games ever made. Up there with Vanquish, Bayonetta and Quake.

Can’t wait for what Housemarque will do next.

Last edited:

Just_one

can wait for tonight , so many games for me

PS5 :
Miles Morales
Guardians
Returnal
Death Stranding : Director´s Cut
Demon Souls
Ghost Of Tsushima : Director´s Cut (already got the platinum but missing the dlc)

PS4:
MediEvil
The dark anthology : Little Hope
Children of Morta

PS1/PS2/PS3 :

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Resident Evil Director's Cut
Siren: Blood Curse
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Syphon Filter
Worms Armageddon

Also EVERYONE PLAY VAILANT HEARTS !! ITS AMAZING!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom